Guilt

MY FATHER'S APPRENTICE

Marlon's POV (Myleen's Dad)

   Myleen must be really mad at me now. I've been the worst father. I was never even a father to her. I've been like this for forever. Unexpressive. I don't know why. I was very lucky to meet Myleen's mom. She was very sensitive. She never failed to read my mind. Know what I wanted to say. Understand me. But I can't expect my 10 year-old daughter to be the same right? I'm really sorry. I love her but I just can't tell her or even show her. But I'll try. I should, as her father. I the only family she's got now. I can't let my daughter live alone, lonely.

   I walked to her bedroom as usual. I always check on her before going to bed. That's the least I can do. When I entered, she's already fast asleep. I hope she doesn't have nightmares. I arranged her blanket before going out. Goodnight, my daughter.

 

MARK'S POV

   Who is that? Jin Hae's father. I just saw him walk out of Myleen's room. Checking on her, obviously.

  "Mark, you're still awake." he said, noticing me.

  "I just wanted to drink some water." I said. He nodded and gestured that he was going back to his room.

  "Goodnight." I told him. He smiled "Goodnight."

    He cares for her. It just doesn't show. But why can't he show her? She's his only daughter let alone only child. My dad doesn't act that way towards my sister. He is extra sweet to her, because she's a girl. But why is he like that?

  I went down to drink. While walking back to my room, I looked at Myleen's awards through the hall. It's all posted there. She had won awards because of singing almost every month, some were held at theatres, I also saw awards from recitals. She must be famous. We'll see aboit that when I start going to her school. 

   When I passed by her room I heard her playing again. I was already wide awake so I decided to knock.

   "Come in?" she said reluctantly.

   "Hi." I said as I walked inside.

   "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry I just fe--"" No, I went downstairs earlier to get some water. I heard you on the way back." I smiled. I sat beside her.

   "What are you playing?" I asked her.

   "Nostalgia" she answered.

   "You can continue" I told her. She continued playing. I looked at her fingers while she was playing. Her fingers were long and slender, but very youthful. 

   "So, how was it?" she asked. "Very well done" I said as I smiled.

   "Why did you wake up?" I asked her.

   "I had a dream." she said.

   " What is it about?" I asked.

   "I dreamt about Dad. He was saying I love you to me, and he said he was sorry. I knew it was a dream so I woke up." she said.

   "Your Dad loves you Myleen." I told her. She looked at me.

   "My Mom kept telling me that before." she said. I smiled.

   "But I never felt it." she added. My smile faded.

   "You should go to sleep now." I told her. I patted her head and watched her go to bed before going out.

 

Myleen's P.O.V.

   My father loves me? Yeah. I've heard that for a million times already. I'm slowly giving up on believing on it. I can't keep on believing hearsays. It doesn't sound credible the more I hear it. It's becoming a lie to my opinion. I'm slowly giving up on him. I can't hold on anymore. I'm not a martyr. 

  When Mark closed the door, tears started to fall from my eyes. He is the first one to tell me my father loves me ever since my mom died. It hurts me because I want it to came from my father. Why can't he let me know he loves me if he really does? Doesn't he know I'm hurting? 

THE NEXT DAY 

    I walked down the stairs to the dining table to have breakfast. Dad and Mark were already there.

   "Goodmorning." Dad said. I looked at him in shock but I managed to greet back.

   "Goodmorning." I mumbled.

   "Goodmorning Myleen." Mark greeted with a smile.

   "Goodmorning Mark." I said.

     I was still shocked because father  actually greeted me. What is happening? I looked over to the maids but none if them seems to have a clue. I looked at Mark but he just smiled at me.

    "Your mentor told me that you have a competition next month, goodluck. Do well on your rehearsal later, I'll have Mark accompany you." he looked at me while standing up, preparing to leave. I didn't know how to react. I just sat there shocked until he was gone.

   "Myleen are you alright?" Mark asked.

   "What happened?" I asked them. No one knew.

   "You have rehearsals even during school break?" I asked her. She nodded.

   "You don't have to go if you don't want to" she said.

   "No, I'll go. I want to go. I don't want to be alone here." I said.

   "Exactly." she said.