Chapter 5: A Job

The First Christmas With Snow

I woke up the next day, remembering the girl yesterday. I wasn’t sure what was it really about, but I got up, and got food with my mom and went to the company’s building in the afternoon.

“Greetings, Park Sumi. How was your day?”

“Good, relaxing since I came here.”

“When did you come here?”

“About a week. I don’t know anything about Korea, just came because I am interested in Korean music and others.”

“Will you be staying here for a while?”

“Not sure. I have to go back to my hometown and go to school soon… so…”

“Okay, well this is your mom right?(looks at my mom)”

“Yes, she is.”

“Okay, I will tell my worker to explain to her what we will discuss with you.”

(Ms.Worker  had a pile of paper in her hands and she went with my mom and went to separate room)

“Okay so, Sumi. I know this will be a bit uncomfortable with you since you came here and don’t know much about Korea. But say, which music group do you like?”

“Well, I just got interested with Exo, but I liked super Junior from a while back. I like most music, but I also like actors and I watch dramas.”

“Nice. Well, I am glad that you are interested in shows and music like these.”

(Briefly explains culture and stuff)

“So, yesterday I saw you and your mom walking in the mall. And you caught my eye. There is a thing that I am asking you right now and also, my worker is also going through information as well. But we will like to recruit you as a worker right now. Your job is to be like a model. And trust me, you will be working for me, just holding things, standing, posing, anything, and you will be popular. You will get paid but because you are a starter, you will be paid less.  Once you go up into the charts, your salary will increase, by a lot. Trust me; I have been working here for a while. And I know that you told me that you have school and can’t stay here for that long. Our contract will include your living space in a fancy hotel, food, everything. And also, we will hire a private tutor to teach you the language and other things that you will be covering at school.”

“Wow, you basically just answered my questions in one shot. But is there any negative points to this?”

“Well, not that I know of, unless you are a type of person who misses home a lot. But you will be staying here for maybe 6 months the shortest, and maybe years the longest. And of course, during breaks, you can go back for maybe one week or two and visit your family, home town, school. And you will be missing your friends, however, I believe you can still contact them through the internet, and plus, you can make more here.”

“I like the idea, however, what do I need to do?”

“All you need to do is to sign here, and we will get you started after you mom goes back to the States and unfortunately, you have to stay. And we will pay her back for your ticket back because she will be going alone.”

My mom came back out from the other room and I assume that the worker explained to her everything. I asked my mom what she thinks. She tells me everything about the contract and took her a while to think about it. I looked at Kim Seo Yeon and she looked back at me. We were in an awkward silence until Seo Yeon asks

“So, what exactly are you going to be learning next couple of years in high school, I assume you are in? We will cover those as well in the private tutor, don’t worry.”

My mom sudden started talking, “Okay, I will like to sign this contract. I will be sad however that I wont be able to see my daughter, I think she will be busy later on, but she will have to call me any time she wants to.”

“Yes of course! Your daughter is still young and I know that you want your daughter to be safe. Don’t worry, I will have guards guarding her as soon as she turns popular.”

 

We all signed the contract and I thought, wow, after 15 years of living, it will be experiencing a new type of thing. A new life style.