Chapter 1: The Lucky Couple

The First Christmas With Snow

 

(At School)

 

I (Park SuMi) have been going to school quite a while and started liking this guy. However, I am not the best looking girl. I am rather more in the middle. Popular for silliness, shyness, and niceness. The most popular girls are pretty, good looking, but however, not the nicest people in the world. 

I started liking the boy, MinJun. I was older than him by couple of months, so of course, he does not notice me and oh yeah, he does aegyo a lot.

 I called Cherry, my buddy, "Cherry ah, I like this boy in our class. I really don't know why I like him. He is not good looking, and he is not as smart, but he has senses. He doesn't hit a girl, but he does cuss a lot. I don't know what to do!" 

"I know. It is so obvious that you like him. You guys look cute together. No kidding. And it’s okay if he’s not the best looking guy. Looks don't matter."

"Mmmm.....true. But I really don't know what to do. He's playing with my emotions. Is he bipolar? I don't know what happened but last time he ignored me for something stupid. He was copying my homework, which I don't have any problem with, but I jokingly said "Why?!?" of course in Korean, because i have a habit of changing languages every time I speak- but that doesn't matter. Anyways, he just ignores me for a week. I texted him that after school and asked him if he was mad. He read the message, but didn't reply. What is up with him?"

"Well, I don't know. Maybe he is like that. Don't worry, SuMi. Also, something bothers me, he always touches your hand and he is always close to you. Literally, if he sits next to you, I can measure the space between you guys and it’s like, I don’t know, 1 cm apart? What is up with him?"

"I don't know..... But anyways, I'll see you at school tomorrow cause its late and I need to finish my assignment. Good Night, Cherry."

--Next Day—

 

"Yah SuMi!” MinJun yelled,  “I have to ask you something! Can you come to the field after school today?"

"Uh, sure. What will you be asking me?"

"Secret."

--After school, field—

 

"MinJun, what is it that you want to ask me?"

"Can I borrow your homework for one day?"

"Oh, that's it?" (I mean, I wasn't expecting anything else...)

"Yeah, that's it."

(Hands homework and starts to go home)

 

"Thank you, SuMi ah"

I called Cherry and told her what happened. "My expectations are too high."

For the next month, MinJun asked SuMi the same thing every other day.

For a month, my feelings for him started to go away. In class, he didn't turn to me and talk to me as much, all he asked me was help on the class work. 

Outside of the class room, I would always see him with another girl, the popular ones, the mean ones, the ones that shouldn't be hanging out with regular status. I soon began to give up on him.

Time past and it was the month of my birthday. Cherry saw what was happening and began to feel sad that things like this are happening. 

"Hey, SuMi, don't worry, there are many fish in the sea." Cherry would always tell me.

 

My birthday came and MinJun came to me again and asked me to go watch him play basketball before going home and plus, it was the last game before the basketball season ended. After school, I was sitting alone, watched his team play and crushed the other school. 

He came to me, "What happened? Why are you gloomy?" 

I handed him a water bottle, "Aniya." and he sat next to me.

His team came closer to me, holding balloons, and they started to tie those balloons on my arm. 

 

"What is happening? Why are they typing balloons on me?"

"SuMi yah, mianhae. Honestly, I didn't need your homework. I wanted to see you after school, that's why. And also, happy birthday. The real question that I am dying to ask you is, will you go out with me? I actually liked you and I know this is all of a sudden, but its your birthday, at least smile."

"You must be kidding?"

"Nope, I wanted to ask y-"

"Mm, okay. I will be happy to be with you."

"Awesome!! Then, in that case, don't ever be away from me! Stay next to me all the time, okay? Promise?"

"Mmm."

 After that day, news has been spreading in our grade, and people were jealous that even a "regular" girl got a boy. The popular girls were always scoffing at us when we walked past them. And the friends of the couples were always smiling and were happy for them. 

 

The lucky couple. That's what those two are known as.