What He Doesn't Have

It Will Always Be You

 

“Hongbin! It’s been such a long time my dear! Come in!” Hongbin was happily welcomed by Hyuk’s mom, almost ignoring the presence of her own son.

Hongbin loves to go at Hyuk’s place because Hyuk’s mom is such a good cook and he feels  at home. Hyuk’s parents lovingly welcome him as if he is also their own son. They treat him like Hyuk’s real-life brother.

“Thank you very much, Mrs. Han.”

“I told you to just call me Umma. I really treat you like my own son already.”

“And you will ditch me as your son and have someone to adopt me.” Hyuk butted in.

“Shut up Han Sanghyuk! Just help me prepare dinner!”

“I’m not a girl to help you in the kitchen.”

“Fine. Just go upstairs and prepare yourself.”

Hongbin just laughed in amusement. The Hyuk and his mom never fail to make him laugh every time he’s around. It’s one of the reasons why he loves the Han household so much.

 

“Yeobo! Is that Hongbin’s voice I’m hearing?” Hyuk’s dad shouted who just came in from the garage.

“Yes, yeobo. Hongbin is here and he will join us for dinner.”

“Oh, boy! It’s been a long time! Let’s have a drink later. You want that?”

And Hyuk’s father got a smack in the head by his wife.

“You’re such a bad influence!”

“But Hongbin is already an adult!”

“No! You will ruin his body system.”

And Hongbin just kept on laughing. Hyuk’s family is such a wonderful one.

 

Hyuk came down from his room and they finally spent dinner happily. Hyuk’s mom surprised his son with a cake made especially by her. It’s been a while since she baked any pastry and Hyuk loves his mom’s pastry so much so he got so happy. Hyuk’s dad gave his old car as a present. He says that Hyuk can practice driving it until he gets his license.

“Omo! Am I late? Is the party over?” Someone came rushing from the door while the whole Han family, including Hongbin, is watching baby videos of Hyuk while the birthday boy wants to be eaten by the ground because of too much embarrassment. Everyone was surprised but then recovered immediately from the shock except Hongbin.

It’s Naeun again.

“Oh! Hongbin sunbaenim! You’re here. Annyeonghaseyo.’ And Naeun bowed formally to him. Hongbin was once again surprised with Naeun’s formal bow.

“You don’t need to bow formally anymore. It’s ok.” Hongbin said and Naeun lowered her head.

“You two know each other?” Hyuk’s mom asked.

“Yes, umma. Hongbin hyung and Naeun noona fought at school earlier.” Hyuk answered.

“N-no! We just had a little misunderstanding.” Naeun said defensively.

“Yes. We are okay now.” Hongbin added. Mrs. Han nod her head and went to the kitchen to serve Naeun’s dinner.

While having dinner, Hongbin approached Naeun, hoping to have a small talk with her.

“Hey.” Hongbin nervously started.

“Oh, Hongbin sunbaenim.” Naeun shyly noticed Hongbin.

“Can I sit here?” he pointed at the chair next to Naeun and she nodded as a reply.

 

“You don’t have to call me Hongbin sunbaenim. It’s too formal.” He said as he sat down at the chair. Naeun started to get a little nervous but she doesn’t let it show. She knows it will get Hongbin uncomfortable.

“Then what should I call you?” she replied and sip a little of her soda.

“Hmm. What’s your birth year? I’m a 93-liner.”

“And I’m a 94-liner. So you are a year older than me.”

“You can call me oppa if you want.” Hongbin offered. He stiffened for a moment as soon as he realized what he just said. He’s hoping that he didn’t make the atmosphere awkward for the two of them.

“Your fans will get mad at me.” She disappointingly answered because that’s a great offer. Being able to call Hongbin ‘oppa’ with his permission is such a precious opportunity for many girls.

“I don’t even know them. I think its ok.”

“No. They will really get mad at me. I don’t even tell them that Hyuk is my cousin.”

“I don’t really get it. I’m not even an idol. Why would I have a fans’ club and Hyuk as well?”

“Because you are handsome and rich. Genius but not a nerd. You are kind and charming. Everyone will like you.” She explained and looked at Hongbin who is also looking at her.

“Even you?” Hongbin asked, looking straight at her eyes. He started to admire them in his mind as he observes how beautiful Naeun is.

Naeun doesn’t know what to say. She can barely open either. She felt something as she looked into Hongbin’s eyes. A power which makes her look deeper into his eyes, drawing her closer to him.

“Yah! What are you two doing there? Staring contest?” Hyuk suddenly came in, getting them back to their senses.

Hours passed and it’s time for Hongbin to go home. Mrs. Han wants him to stay for the night but he refused since his father might need him at the house. He bid goodbye to the couple, Hyuk and of course, to Naeun.

And just like everytime, he would go home from Hyuk’s house with a very happy feeling.

 

As he walked home, he kept on thinking about Naeun and how they stared at each other. He felt something unusual but he is sure that it feels nice. He only knew Naeun for a day but there is a force in him that wants to be closer to her. Hongbin just smiled at the thought.

Hongbin reached at his house and saw only one car parked at the garage. He’s having a bad feeling again.

He went inside and saw the maids removing a broken vase from the living room. He asked one of the maids about what happened and he got the reply that he expects.

“They fought again.”

Hongbin just sighed and went straight to his father’s office. It’s already a daily routine. After he got home, he will go straight at his father’s office inside the house and will tell him how his day went. Hongbin and his father are actually close and does have a nice father-and-son relationship.

But not at a time like this.

“What have you done again, dad?” Hongbin asked as soon as he stepped at the front of his father’s office table. His father just sighed and didn’t answer. “What is it that you and mom have fought this time?”

“It’s nothing, son.”

“It’s nothing but the maids have thrown a broken vase again.” Hongbin looked as his father sternly, forcing him to tell the truth.

“I think your mom and I will finally push through the divorce.” His father finally answered.

And now it’s Hongbin turn to sigh.

“Okay dad. I’ll go rest now.” Hongbin went out of his father’s office and went straight to his room. His nightmare is now coming true. Well, he sensed that it will happen already. His mom and dad had always been fighting since he was little. They tried to save their marriage. They did save it but now it’s falling apart again and Hongbin thinks there’s no way to fix it anymore. He knows his parents stayed in their marriage for his sake so that he won’t grow up with a broken family. But know that he’s already a grown-up, there isn’t any hindrance for them to separate anymore.

Hongbin’s family is going to be broken soon and he is getting ready for it. He will try not to give a and just ignore it. He will make himself strong since he will be alone this time.

Then he thought of Hyuk’s family again. He really envied them and wishes to have a family like that too.

And he sent himself to sleep, dreaming of a happy family that he never had since he was young and how it feels to have one.