Chapter 5 - Bowing at 90 Degrees

Our Sweet Leah[Hiatus]

 

editor: hello stranger
author: phantom knight

----

A month later…

“Bye mom!”
“Bye dear, be home early and take care!”
“I will.”

Leah closed the door and rushed to their gate and opened it. There waited Miyaka.
“Ohayo! (Good morning)” her friend greeted with glee.
“Ohayo…” she greeted back bowing her head.

“I really admire your house, Leah. It’s so BIG!” Miyaka praised raising her arms up and opening her hands.
“How many times do I have to tell you Miyaka-chan, it’s not big. It just looks like it on the outside.”
“Stop being modest. You’re TOO down to earth.”
Instead of replying, Leah just laughed.

“I hate it when you do that. You ignore that topic every time I bring it up.”
“We better get going.” Leah suggested and started walking leaving Miyaka behind.
“Ok, ok. Wait for me. ” said Miyaka as she tried to catch up to her friend.

Both of them were about to turn around the corner of the street when they saw a familiar face waiting there, “Yun Ho?” Miyaka called out.

“Ah. Uhhhh. Ummm. Ko… Kon… Kon-nichiwa. (Hello)” he greeted bowing his head.
“What are you doing here?” Leah asked.

“Jae wanted me to give you back your notebook he borrowed yesterday.” Yun Ho uttered, handing out her spiral notebook.
“Arigato. (Thank you)” she thanked while laughing.

“Leah is there something wrong?” he questioned.
“I’m sorry. It’s just that you should have just given this to me at school, but instead you even bothered coming here.”
“She’s right. Yun Ho, do you like Leah?” Miyaka asked with suspicion.

Yun Ho suddenly became speechless so he looked down and began to scratch his head.
“Let’s go Leah-chan we don’t want to be late.” Her friend reminded.
“Yun Ho, forget what Miyaka said. So… want to come with us?” the foreign student cheerfully asked.
“Really?! I mean… of course!” he blissfully exclaimed as he blushed.

They finally reached school, as they entered the hallway, like any other day it was crowded with students, getting ready for their classes. They seemed to atrract attention now, while passing by they heard murmurs and have observed small but meaningful gestures. Leah felt so uneasy so she stopped,

“See you later, Yun Ho.” said Leah, smiling at him.
“Ya, see you later.” Miyaka added.
“Leah--” before the umber haired guy could start the bell rang.
“Were you going to say something to me Yun Ho?”
“Ahh, never mind.”
“Let’s go Leah.” Her jolly friend stated.


“Yo, Yun Ho? Who are you staring at?” Yoo Chun questioned appearing from nowhere.
“Iie (No). I’m staring at no one.”
“Hmm, did something happen to you? You look like you have been dumped by someone.” The ebony haired guy observed.

“No… Let’s just get to class.” The umber haired guy ended the short conversation.

Leah slowly, opened the sliding door, letting Miyaka enter first. The room was well lighted by the Suns rays, and the sky was clear of clouds, the windows were very large and so everything could be seen; their classroom was on the second floor. Jae Joong looked up and smiled when he saw Leah,

“Ohayo. Jae-chan.” said Leah slightly bowing her head and sitting beside him.
“Ohayo…” he replied.
“Leah, it’s so good to see you again. You never looked lovelier.” The jet-black haired guy praised.
“Thank you, Jae-chan.”
“So how’s your dad?” he asked.
“Huh?”
“I heard he had an accident?”
“Yeah, he sprained his right foot when he was shooting a running scene. It’s not that major…” she explained.
“At least he only sprained his foot. Is he ok now?” Jae Joong kept on asking.
“Yes, he is--”

“Ohayo gozaimasu!(Good morning)” exclaimed Mr. Shiroi who just entered.
“Ohayo…” the students replied all bowing their heads and proceeding to their seats.
“Ok, let’s start the checking of attendance.”


Meanwhile at class 2-C where everyone seemed to be having a good time…


“Yoo Chun! Yoo Chun, try impersonating Kurihara sensei this time.” said a classmate of theirs.
“Ok, ok… [Clears throat] Well, we can’t tolerate this can we?” Yoo Chun tried to imitate their sensei.

“Woah! Micky, you really sound like her!” Yun Ho shouted from across the room, praising his friend.
“Mr. Park Yoo Chun! Please behave… I will not TOLERATE your actions!” the ebony haired guy continued mimicing his teacher.

Suddenly they all heard loud footsteps along the hallway particularly the high "deadly" heels of Kurihara. Everyone rushed to their seats and kept quiet. Kurihara slowly slid the cream colored door and -with poise- proceeded to the teacher’s desk and placed her belongings. She observed the whole class with her eyes squinted both of her palms on the table and a few inches apart.

“Ohayo.” She softly greeted.
“Ohayo.” The students replied as they stood up and bowed their heads.

“Ok, let’s start checking the attendance…” she as she sat down on the chair, unexpectedly a weird sound was heard just after she sat down. Her eyes widened and her cheeks reddened.
Everybody in the room laughed, except Kurihara-san. She stood up and saw a whoopee cushion on the chair,
“WHO DID THIS!?” she shouted.


Lunch break the whole canteen were packed with students and teachers busy with their own lives…

“Yun Ho, Yoo Chun, over here!” Miyaka exclaimed, waving her right hand as she called their attention.
Both of them proceeded to the table where Jae, Leah and Miyaka were seated.
“Yun Ho, I heard your class pulled a prank on Kurihara sensei?” Jae Joong asked while finishing his bottle of mineral water.
“Yes we did. Actually we have been doing the same thing for quite a while now and still she falls for it.”
“She never learns…” Yoo Chun added, while laughing.


“Ah, Leah I have to tell you something.” said the jet-black haired guy.
Leah nodded once as she looked at him.
“Well I borrowed your notebook right?”
“Hai(yes).”
“I, um.... lost it. I think I misplaced it somewhere. I’m sorry.” he confessed at the same time apologized bowing his head.
“Huh?”
“Honto ni gomen nasai.(I’m really sorry)” he repeated.

“Demo…(But) Yun Ho just gave it to me this morning when Miyaka and I were walking to school.” She explicated.
“Yun Ho?”

“Hai(yes), he gave the notebook back to Leah this morning.” Miyaka agreed slamming her hands on the table pointing at the umber haired guy like he did a crime.

Jae Joong looked at his friend and tried to observe him.
“Nani?(What)” said the umber haired guy.

“Is it true Yun Ho?” Yoo Chun questioned.
Yun Ho was silent.


“I was not yet done copying Leah’s notes. Why did you have to give it back?” Jae Joong uttered trying to make his friend feel guilty.

“I thought she left it at home…” the umber haired guy stumbled for an excuse.

“Jae-chan. Let’s not question Yun Ho. I’ll just let you borrow my notebook again.” Leah said, saving the umber haired guy from their small interrogation.

Yun Ho took a glimpse at Leah and slightly bowed his head as a sign of saying thank you. Leah in return smiled at him, he then smiled back.

“Jae?” Micky called out.
“Hai?(Yes)”
“Why are you staring at Leah?”

Leah, Miyaka and Yun Ho suddenly turned their attention to him.
“Huh? I’m not staring at Leah… I just happened to glance at her.” Jae Joong slowly answered.

“No, glancing only takes a few seconds. But you were like looking at her for like, a minute already.” Micky 'the expert' clarified.

Jae Joong became speechless and exchange of glances were made.

Afterwards the bell rang,
“Leah, let’s go we’re going to be late for our next class!” exclaimed the jet-black haired guy taking the foreign student with him.

“Jae!!!!” Yun Ho exclaimed with a jealous expression and then followed them.

“Nande?(What)” said the ebony haired guy.
“Come on, Yoo Chun. Let’s go…” Miyaka uttered.
“Hai.(Yes)”

Along the hallway only a few students can be seen passing by making it easier for the jet-black haired guy to drag the foreign student,

“Jae-chan slow down, I can’t keep up.” Leah complained being unconsciously dragged by Jae Joong.
“Jae Joong!!”

“Ah… Gomen ne. (I’m sorry)” the jet-black haired guy apologized as he stopped right in front of the staircase leading to their room.

“Why did you have to drag me like that?” asked Leah who’s trying to catch her breath.

“Umm--”
“Mr. Kim Jae Joong, Ms. Koizumi Leah…” a familiar voice called out to them.

“Hai Shiroi-san?” said Leah.

“We have a problem…” he continued as he carefully went down the stairs with crossed arms.

“A problem?”
“Yes, a problem Jae Joong, a ‘problem’ that involves the two of you.”
“EH?” both wondered.

“You see, there is this picture of me going around school. And my sources told me you two were the masterminds.”
Mr. Shiroi stated showing the two of them the said photo shopped image.

“We don’t know what you’re talking about Shiroi-san.” Jae Joong uttered all confused, but trying to control his laughter for the picture was very amusing.

“Don’t act innocent. I know it’s you.”

“We really don’t’ know what you’re talking about. You must have the wrong information, Shiroi-san.” Leah defended laughing at the back of her mind.

“I am never wrong Ms. Koizumi. For your punishment, you’ll clean all the lunch trays used by the other students, which begins at this very moment.” He commanded with great confidence.

“But we’ll miss our classes?”

“That’s the point Jae Joong. I don’t want to hear anymore complains. Now… proceed to the kitchen and start cleaning trays!” Mr. Shiroi ordered. They had no choice but to obey.


“That will teach them.” Shiroi whispered.

“Shiroi-san?”
“What?!” Shiroi flinched.

“I did it. Jae Joong had nothing to do with it let him go.” said Yun Ho pulling the dark blue suit of his sensei acting childish.

“Nani tendo?(What are you talking about)”

“Ok, I’ll be going to the kitchen now…” the umber haired guy continued walking away from him.
“Mr. Jung Yun Ho, stop right there!”
“Yes, sensei?”

“Don’t lie to me. I know its not you, don’t try to save your friend. Now, get to class.” Shiroi ended.

“Demo… (But)”
“No buts! Go!!!” he shouted.


“Leah… I’m sorry for getting you into this mess.” Jae Joong apologized.
“Jae-chan what are you apologizing for, you did nothing wrong.”

“Is this the kitchen?” asked Leah pointing at a door.
“Yes, that’s the kitchen--”

“You must be the two troublemakers?” said an old wrinkled woman with short, gray curly hair growing out of her scalp.

“So, here are your aprons, your gloves and your sponges. The dish washing soap would be seen under the sink. Enjoy.” the old woman said sarcastically as she handed over the needed ‘equipment’.

“Arigato…” both stated as they proceeded to the kitchen.

Upon entering they saw the spacious floor and stainless counters and utensils. The ceiling is very high and walls are painted with white making it look like a heavenly place.

“Wow. I’ve never seen so many trays piled up like that.” Leah said in amazement.

“We better get started if we want to finish on time.”
“You’re right.”

Meanwhile at the classroom of 2-C everyone seemed focused on the lesson being taught except for Yoo Chun and Yun Ho,
“What?!”

“Micky keep it down.”

“Yun Ho, why did they have to tolerate what Mr. Shiroi did?”

“Well, I don’t know either. You know Jae Joong. He doesn’t want to create bigger problems, maybe that’s why he agreed.”

“Isn’t that abuse already?? Besides I’m pretty sure Jae Joong can’t pull that off, he’s too nice and innocent. I can’t imagine him doing such a thing. It’s like seeing a little cute bunny trying not to be cute you know? Bunnies are meant to be cute have you ever seen a bunny with an aloof face? Come on they wouldn’t be called bunnies if they were not cute--”

“Ok, Micky you lost me there when you started talking about bunnies and since when did you learn the word aloof?”

“Ehem… Yoo Chun! Yun Ho! Stop talking!” their sensei exclaimed from across the room.
“Sorry, sensei…” both apologized.

Back at the 'heavenly' kitchen, the jet-black haired guy and the foreign student were still fulfilling their duties,

“AHH! I have never been this tired my whole life. Who knew washing trays would actually wear me out.” Leah uttered as she took a short break.

“Leah, why are you stopping, we’re not half way done…” the jet-black haired guy reminded.

“I am just really exhausted…” said the foreign student as she wiped her sweat with her gloves.

“Leah?”
“Hai?”

“If it’s alright to ask, why am I the only one you address with a ‘chan’? You call Yun Ho, Yun Ho and Micky as Yoo Chun.”

“Oh, it’s because I feel closer to you than to the two of them as simple as that.” She answered with much confidence.

Jae Joong suddenly blushed and as he took a glance at her. She felt he was looking at her so she faced him. They both stared at each other for a few seconds,

“Nande?” she asked.

“Uh…” the jet-black haired guy then took off his rubber gloves and went towards her.
He slowly reached for Leah’s face, but she on the other hand stepped back.

“Jae--”

“Hold still…”
Soon enough Jae Joong’s hand finally touched her fair face,
“Leah… You have soap suds on your face.”

“Oh…” Leah said in relief giggling a bit.
The jet-black haired guy with a smile placed his hand on his chest, “Wow Leah you really have soft skin…”

“Thanks… I guess.”

“Come here.” Jae Joong uttered.
“Huh?”
“I said come here…”

“Why?” she curiously asked as she took her rubber gloves off and slowly went towards him.

Jae Joong held her shoulders and positioned her left ear on his chest. Leah tried to break free but he was holding her tight. He positioned his chin on the top of her head gently closing his eyes,
“Stay still. Listen…” Leah heard the loud and hasty thumping of the jet-black haired guy’s heart.

“Can you hear that? My heart’s really beating fast.” He continued as his voice started to sound so soothing to her ears.

“Why is that so?” the foreign student innocently queried.
“Maybe it is because I am really happy right now.” he answered. His hands searched for Leah's long soft hair and then lightly caressed it.

Leah fell silent and started to feel Jae Joong’s warm ‘hug’ gradually closing her eyes.

“Oh, that’s the bell. We better finish the rest so we can go home.” said the jet-black haired Jae Joong releasing Leah ending their moment.

“Uh, hai.(Yes)” Leah replied feeling awkward all of the sudden.

It was dismissal time and students evacuated the classrooms and some hurried out seeming they have other errands to do.

"Bye, Yun-chan." a group of girls bid good-bye while controlling their laughs.
"Bye..." he replied, bowing his head.

“Yun Ho, let’s get home!” Micky exclaimed even though he was just right in front of the umber haired Yun Ho.

“Ummm, can’t we pass by the kitchen first? I really want to see if Jae and Leah are both doing fine.” Yun Ho suggested looking at the direction of the school canteen.

“Yun Ho? Why do we need to do that? I’m sure they’re both okay. They are just washing trays alright? Nothing bad is going to happen to them.” The ebony haired Micky uttered.

“But what if Leah swallowed soap suds, or what if she slipped? Can we check just for a few minutes? I’m worried.” he kept on insisting.

“Yun Ho, you are overreacting. Jae’s there. Nothing will happen to her. Now, let’s go.” Micky stated as he looked at his friend with suspicion.

“We are just gonna check them? Please, Micky.” Yun Ho begged.

“No, let’s go…” Micky said dragging Yun Ho with him out the door.


After a while, the whole school was empty with students except for Jae Joong and Leah,

“Knock, knock.” appeared the old woman.
“SO how are things here?” she continued.
“We’re done…ah--”

“Himasaki…”

“We’re done Himasaki-san.” Leah repeated with a big smile on her face.
“Can we go now?” Jae Joong asked eager to leave.
“Yes, you may go better hurry home it’s getting late.”

“Arigato gozaimasu!(Thank you very much )”

On the way home both of them were walking at the calm streets of Tokyo.
Where you can stop and feel the fresh breeze of the wind, relaxing sceneries like the nearby park.

Hear birds sing with glee, see vibrant flowers. Affable neighbors as you pass by; houses presentable and beautiful in its own way…

“Leah, may I walk you home again?”
“But you just walked me home yesterday.”

“I know, well this time the reason is different, I just want to make sure you get home safe. Since you told me awhile ago your mom wants you to be home early--” he uttered with concern.

“You’re really nice Jae-chan. You’re the kindest person I met.” She praised.
“I’m not that nice...” he denied.
“There you go again trying to be humble. Remember you should at least take in some compliments given to you.”
“… So can I walk you home?” he questioned.


“Alright. You may walk me home.”

Meanwhile in front of Leah's house their stood the umber haired guy walking back and forth,

“Leah… I was worried that’s why I came here. So are you alright?”
“No, no that is too much…” said the umber haired guy trying to practice his ‘lines.’

“Again… Leah, I was worried about you. Do you want me to get back at him? How about punching him in the face?”
“No, that’s corny…”

“Leah… I got worried. I wanted to see if you were ok.”
“Good, but it needs a little more concern she really has to feel it.” uttered Yun Ho.

Back to Jae Joong and Leah,

“Jae Joong? DO you like her already? I have to get a hold of myself… What about Ye Jin? What do you mean what about Ye Jin? She has another man…” Jae Joong thought as he tried to fight contradicting statements in his mind.

“Jae-chan, doua no (Is there something wrong)?”

“Look, Leah! I can already see the moon up the sky!” he exclaimed as he gestured his hand pointing to the sky.
“Really where?”
“There, there! It’s right there.”
He quietly sneaked away from Leah hiding behind a wide gray electrical post at the corner of the street.
“Are you sure? I can’t see it.”
“Jae-chan?”

Leah started to find the jet-black haired guy.
“Jae-chan?” she spotted his bag peeping behind the wall so she proceeded there.

“Jae-chan, what are you--” Jae Joong abruptly held her shoulders and placed her back against
the wall. She was about to speak but he positioned his right index finger on her lips. Jae Joong
slowly reached for her lips as he closed his eyes. The distance of their lips is just about a
centimeter when,

“Jae-chan!?”
“Huh? What?”

“You’ve been staring at me for quite a long time now. And what’s up with that weird smile?”

“Ah, gomen nasai! (Sorry)” he apologized, bowing his head at 90 degrees.

“Do I have something on my face?” she curiously asked.
“Iie. Iie. (No)”
“It’s just that, I’ve noticed you have beautiful eyes.” He continued making an honest excuse.

“Thank you…” she thanked as she blushed.

“Again I’m sorry for staring at you like that. We should get going.” The jet-black haired guy stated as he led the way.

Both of them saw Yun Ho sitting on the ground, his back resting on the gate of Leah's home. He was staring at his shoes as he muttered some phrases. He looked bored as if he was waiting for a very long time…

“Yun Ho?” Jae Joong called out.
The umber haired guy brightened up and saw Leah… When he saw Jae Joong right beside her his smile turned back into a vague frown.

“Yun Ho, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at home by now?” the jet-black haired queried.
“Yeah, what are you doing here?” Leah repeated.

“You see…” Yun Ho stood up and suddenly became speechless.
Both went towards him, “Yun Ho we are just asking you a simple question--”
“I got worried, I wanted to see if you were ok!” the umber haired guy exclaimed as he said everything he practiced in haste.

“What? You were talking too fast I wasn’t able to catch up, so you were saying? This time deliver the words slowly.” the foreigner said.
Then Yun Ho took a deep breath, “I said I got worried, I wanted to see if you were ok, that is why I came here…” he muttered.
“Yun Ho, we didn’t hear you. Your voice was too soft. For the last time could you repeat what you have said. In moderate speed and louder volume please.” Jae Joong spoke up looking at his friend in the eye.

“Leah… I…”
“Leah, I?” she followed.
“I… heard that you got in trouble… That worried me so I came here…”
“You came here to?”
“…I came here to check up on you.” said he, while scratching his forehead to cover his face hiding his concerned expression.
“Oh.”
“Yun Ho! How thoughtful of you! You remembered ‘us’. You’re really a good friend.” Jae Joong interrupted ‘the moment.’
“Yeah…”
“How long have you been standing outside our house Yun Ho?” said Leah with a concerned tone.
“For a while now.” He sincerely answered playing with his uniform, so to prevent himself from making eye contact with her.
“You should have just waited inside our house. My mom knows you, she would let you stay there. Besides she loves guests coming over, since we are not close with our neighbors.” She elucidated.

“Well…”
“But thanks anyway.” said Leah as she smiled at the umber haired guy.

“Leah? Leah is that you?”
“Oh, that’s my mom. I forgot she told me I would come home early…”
“Don’t worry! I’ll explain everything to her.” Jae Joong volunteered. Yun Ho was about to volunteer as well but since his friend was able to speak up first, he just stepped back.

She pushed the door bell and an old guy came out of the door, aged but wrinkles did not dominate his whole body.
He looked really healthy and with a smile he opened the gate,
"Welcome home, Ms. Leah; welcome to our home, Mr. Yun Ho and Mr. Jae Joong, it's nice to see you again." he cheerfully greeted as he bowed his head.

"Arigato, Edo-san." She thanked.

...

“Thank you for understanding Mrs. Koizumi.” said the jet-black haired guy.
“No problem. I'm relieved Leah has friends like you two, you're such nice boys. Well, you boys should be getting home now. It’s late.” Leah’s mother calmly stated.
“Mata oai shimasho. (See you again)” Yun Ho bid good-bye as the both of them bowed their heads.
“See you guys tomorrow. I would like to thank you guys too.” Leah stated.
“Doo itashimae. (Welcome)”
After bowing several times they proceeded to the door and was escorted by Edo-san out of their home.

“Some nice friends you have Leah.” Her mother stated.
“I’m really lucky to have them.” her proud daughter said.

The next morning at class 2-B's room everyone seemed to have heard what happened to Jae Joong and Leah yesterday. Some girls gave her the dagger-look -especially those who admire the jet-black haired guy-, as she entered and some guys looked disappointed and heart-broken…

“Leah, Leah-chan!!!” Miyaka exclaimed as she went through the big crowds.
“So how was yesterday?”

“How was yesterday?” Leah repeated the question making it clear she heard right.
“Yeah. The detention thing with Jae Joong what happened?”
“Oh, nothing.” She answered as she fixed the things in her locker.
“What!?” Miyaka reacted slamming her left hand on the metal lockers which created a loud sound.
“Why are you overreacting Miyaka-chan?” the foreign student queried.
“I went through all those mess, and you tell me nothing happened!”
“What do you mean? Are you the one behind the picture of Shiroi-san?” Leah questioned closing her locker.

“Umm…”
“What? Answer me, I need to know.”
“Ok, ok. I did the picture. I know you told me you sort a ‘like’ Jae Joong so I formulated a plan to get you two really close. I guess it didn’t work.” Her friend confessed losing her jolly tone.
“You did that!? I can’t believe you. You shouldn’t have done that. These kinds of situations shouldn’t be forced, it comes.” Leah lectured.

“Well I got bored and tired of waiting. So I had to do something.” Miyaka explained.
“Are you trying to be a match-maker now Miyaka-chan?”
“Now that you’ve mentioned it…”

“You should apologize to me. You should have asked me first.”
“But I know you would disagree.”

“Yes, I would have, still it wasn’t right doing such, without me knowing.”

“Why should I apologize? Give me 10 reasons!” stated her friend who regained her jolly tone.

“WELL… one reason is enough. Something happened…”
“Honto?!(Really)” Miyaka burst with excitement.
“… And I won’t tell unless you apologize to me a hundred times.” Leah uttered trying to make a deal.
“That’s unfair!”
“I guess I won’t tell you then.” stated the foreign student as she left her friend behind.
“Wait! Wait! Leah-chan I am so sorry, forgive me. I was wrong!!!!” Miyaka shouted trying to ask for Leah’s forgiveness. The foreign student stopped and looked back at her, “Really?”

“Yes, yes! I was wrong. I’m sorry, now could you tell me what happened?” said Miyaka as she placed her palms together while pouting her lips.
“Please?” she continued bowing from her head to her torso at 90 degrees.

Leah laughed at her desperation, “Ok, ok I’ll tell you…”

----

Author's Note:


Sorry if this chapter was really long...
And I'm still working on putting in more details to important parts of the chapter for you to visualize it better.
^^

Here is how their uniforms look like:
Girls
White blouse, with a red necktie. Coat is white with navy blue outlines. Skirt 5 inches above the knee. Its color is navy blue. Socks are below the knee and its color is black

Boys
White polo, with a baby blue necktie. Red coat (long sleeves).
Cream colored slacks.

I wish this info really helped. By the way, if you have seen the Elite Uniforms always shown in Korea. That's how it sort a looks like.
(Particularly the CF of SNSD with 2PM)Here's the URL if you want to see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcOKfNPW7I

Please leave a comment.