Chapter 22

Like Strangers

 

 

 

Jinyoung came over to ______'s house and rang the doorbell.

Jaehyo, who was sleeping on the couch, quickly sat up when he was startled by the sound.

He stretched and rubbed his sleepy eyes.

"Where..." he said, looking around.  "I'm in ______'s living room. Did I fall asleep?"

He grabbed his glasses and stood up to answer the door.

"Oh, Jaehyo-ssi."

"Annyeonghaseyo..." Jaehyo said weakly.

"You don't look so good."

"Yeah...I am aware." he sighed. "______ is probably still asleep and she’s a sound sleeper. Hold on.”

Jaehyo walked into the kitchen and within a few seconds the smoke detectors were going off.

______, who was lying in her bed, quickly woke up.

The loud beeping scared her so much, that her heart was pounding in her chest.

“What the…YAH!!!!” she screamed, as she jumped out of her bed and ran to the top of the stairs to glare daggers at him.

“Ooh, she looks pissed.” Jaehyo muttered.

Jinyoung was so shocked, that he couldn’t even speak.

‘Waaaa! That was….a bit drastic…’ he thought. ‘Still, her expression is daebak!!~’

“YAH!!!!!” she snapped and noticed Jinyoung standing there. ‘Oh, Jinyoungie?”

“______-ah, your boyfriend is here.”

“Good morning!!~” Jinyoung said.

“Morning.” She replied, frantically fixing her hair.

Jaehyo rolled his eyes.

‘Why does she need to fix her hair? She always looks perfect when she wakes up.’ He thought. ‘fixing herself, doesn’t change a thing.’

“Jinyoungie?” ______ asked softly.

“Yeah?”

“Tell me, doesn’t Jaehyo Oppa look sick?”

Jinyoung looked over at Jaehyo, and nodded.

“Mhm…he looks really bad.”

“Okay, good.”

“Good?! How is that good?! What if I died?”

“Do you want to die?” she asked with a dangerous grin. “The smoke detector?! Really, Oppa? REALLY?! You’re trying to give me a heart attack?! You’re sick, right now, so I won’t murder you.”

“Um…thank you?” he laughed. “Well, you know how difficult it is to wake you up.”

“Me? What about you?”

“The doorbell woke me.” He stated, as a matter-of-factly.

“Jae Oppa is the kind of person who talks, FOREVER. The only time he’s quiet is when he’s asleep.” She told Jinyoung and turned towards Jaehyo. “Jae Oppa, it’s a good thing that you don’t snore…but you don’t wake up very easily either. I’m surprised you were awake first.”

“Why? What did you do to him? Did she poison you?” Jinyoung asked.

“I don’t know.” Jaehyo said. “Yah, did you put something into my samgyetang last night?”

“Heart?”

“Oh…no wonder it was chewy…”

______ narrowed her eyes at him.

“Yeah, whatever.” She said. “You’d never survive without me! Jinyoungie, I’m sorry I can’t go out today.”

“No…you can go.” Jaehyo said. “It’s just fever…and it’s gone down a lot, since yesterday. You can check if you want.”

______ reached up to touch his forehead.

“Liar! You’re still hot!”

“I know.” He said.

______ glared at him.

“I’m not sure if you meant that in a cocky way, or because you know that you’re still feverish.” She muttered.

“Both…”

“I swear, being sick.”

Jinyoung looked between the two of them.

“It’s okay. I understand.” He said. “I’ll call you later, then.”

“Wait…” ______ said. “You’re leaving?”

Jinyoung gave her a smile.

“I know how you are. You’ll be worrying all day if you leave. If, god forbid, something bad happens while you’re gone, you would beat yourself up over it.”

Jaehyo stared at him, blinking in shock.

‘He’s just leaving? What if I jump her?’ he thought. ‘Not that I would…’

______ nodded and gave him a hug.

“Well, Jae Oppa, obviously is a loner and he’s also incapable of taking care of himself…”

“I can too!” He whined.

“Where are Abeonim and Eomeonim?”

Jaehyo looked at his phone to check the time.

“Probably at work…”

“You can’t cook…are you going to starve?”

“I can call the guys. Maybe I could cough on Kyungcumber and give whatever illness I have to him? It’s tempting.”

“Aigoo!~” she said. “Jinyoungie, mianhae…”

“It’s okay.” He said giving her a hug. “Don’t get sick too, okay?”

Jaehyo stared at him.

‘Why does this guy have to be so nice? She’s only choosing to stay with me, right now, because he told her to.’

When Jinyoung left, she turned back to Jaehyo.

“How are you feeling Oppa?”

“I’m fine, really.” He said. “Go out with your boyfriend.”

______ looked at him and knew he was lying.

“Did you know that your eyes, tell me everything? She asked softly. “I know when you’re lying. Sit back down! Jinyoungie is right. If anything happened to you, I’d die.”

“You can’t make ME, a higher priority than your boyfriend. He’s not going to like that, and he’s going to hate me!” He scolded.

“YAH! Lay back down and be quiet for once! Quit screaming! He’s the one that told me to stay here!” she shouted.

Jaehyo snickered.

“You’re screaming at me, telling me to quit screaming? Aigoo…”

“Yeah, well, you’re the sick one. I could be out with Jinyoung right now.” She pouted.

Meanwhile, Jinyoung met up with B1A4.

“Oh, Jinyoung hyung!” Gongchan called out to him, waving his arms around to get his attention.

“Annyeong!” the leader said, ruffling his hair.

“Hyung, where is Noona?”

“Jaehyo-ssi, was sick, so I told her to stay home. I thought it would be better.”

“Are you sure, it’s ‘better’?” Baro asked, making quotation marks, in the air, with his fingers.

“Yeah, why not?!” Jinyoung said with a smile.

“Waaaa~, Jaehyo Hyung is lucky it wasn’t during the weekdays.” Gongchan said. “I remember when Noona and Hyung used to come to read to me in elementary school. They were pretty much, inseparable back then. Jaehyo Hyung has perfect attendance in school.”

“They were inseparable? Then why did she hate him at the beginning of the year?” Jinyoung asked.

The maknae just shrugged.

“Maybe they were secretly lovers!~” Baro joked, earning a smack on the back of the head from CNU.

“Yah! They are not secret lovers!” The eldest Hyung scolded. “Shush!”

“Ow, hyung, I was just joking.”

“That’s not true.” Jinyoung said. “They’re just friends…I know it. They’ve never been anything more than that.”

Gongchan thought back for a moment.

 

--------------Flashback---------------------------------------

 

Gongchan was 8, while Jaehyo and ______ were 12.

They came to read to him every week.

“Noona, is Jaehyo Hyung your boyfriend?!~” the curious, young Gongchan asked.

Jaehyo looked up from his video game, he almost got whiplash.

The pair turned red.

“N-NO!” they shouted in unison.

“I um…my throat is suddenly dry.” Jaehyo said frantically looking around in search of a water fountain, or vending machine.

He jumped to his feet and quickly walked off.

“You’re not?” Gongchan asked. “But I see the way that you look at Hyung. Do you like him?”

______ blushed, even redder than before.

“You can tell?”

“So you do like him?!”

______ smiled and nodded.

“Don’t say anything, promise?” she asked holding out her pinky to him.

“I promise.” He said hooking his pinky with hers.

A few minutes later, Jaehyo came back with a huge grocery bag full of a variety of drinks.

“So, I realized that I forgot to ask if you two wanted anything to drink, so I got one of everything.” He said pushing up his glasses back up the bridge of his nose.

Gongchan and ______ looked at each other.

She shrugged and they both started to laugh.

“I don’t know.” She said.

“W-what’s so funny?” Jaehyo asked. “YAH!! Why are you laughing? What did I do?”

They just laughed harder.

 

----------------------End of Flashback------------------------------------------------

 

“Channie…” Jinyoung said. “You’ve known her the longest, they’ve never gone out, right?”

“No, ______ Noona and Jaehyo Hyung have never dated.” The maknae said. ‘That’s not a lie, they haven’t ever been a couple. I can’t tell Jinyoung Hyung that Noona used to like Jaehyo Hyung, that would break my promise to her.’

“Okay, good.” The leader said, with a smile.

 

 _________________________________________________________

Jinyoung was so sweet.

Younger Jaehyo was soooo derpy XD...he still is