Chapter 12

Best Vacation Ever

Fay felt someone her hair. The calm soothing touches tempted her to go back to sleep, but she still stirred awake. Slowly Fay opened her eyes and took her time adjusting to the light. She looked to her side. The usually cheerful Chiyoko greeted her with a quiet smile.

“Hey girl, how are you feeling?” she spoke softly.

“Tired,” Fay sighed. “They keep waking me up every hour.”

They had to. She had a pretty heavy concussion. But she still hated being woken up all the time. She pouted a little and a few soft chuckles sounded through the room. Fay smiled when she noticed how Mai, Tina and Zoe had all surrounded her bed.

“Keeping watch?”

“You seem to need it. We take our eyes off you and you get in trouble.”

“So they tell me.”

“How’s your head?”

“Comfortably fuzzy with the medication they gave me.”

“You really scared us, you know?”

Fay glanced at Chiyoko. She really seemed like a mom right now.

“Did I?” she asked quietly.

Chiyoko smiled and sighed dramatically.

“Who knew you’d be this much trouble?”

Fay flinched with guilt.

“Sorry. You only just met me...”

“Doesn’t matter,” Tina interrupted her. “Yearlong friend or just met. There’s no difference to us.”

“Yeah, we already told you: you’re part of the group now. Even without a tattoo.”

Zoe grinned at her. Earning a playful nudge from Mai. Fay tried to push herself up a bit, but decided to stay put when her head started pounding.

“Still, I’m sorry for being such a handful.”

“It will never get dull that way.”

Chiyoko shrugged, getting back to her normal chipper self.

“Besides, we knew what we were in for from the moment we saw you struggling with that map.”

“Or was it when she tripped over an invisible pebble?”

“No way, definitely when she got distracted by that little kid that wanted to play with her.”

“Or when she couldn’t escape that talkative granny and just sat down to listen to her.”

Fay stared at her friends teasing her and lifted a brow.

“Just how do you know all these things? Were you guys following me?”

“Off course,” Mai gleamed. “We were looking for the Tokyo Dome too.”

“Two birds, one stone. We’re horrible with maps,” Tina smiled. “And you were very entertaining.”