Chapter 13: "I Wish..."

Everything Started with an Apple (Chapter 13 update 7/15/19)

Chapter 13:

“I Wish…”


 

 

“Baekhyun-ssi? Chanyeol?”

 

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol turn their heads to see the school chairman and Chanyeol’s sister, Park Yoora.

 

Yoora is wearing a Rockabilly Dress Short Sleeve 2017 Autumn UK European Style Round Collar Brief Long Slim Clothing Veatido. It fits well with her height and short hair. She is very pretty and her presence is very different from when she is at the academy.

 

Chanyeol feel like the world hates him, because it would have been better if it is only her sister who saw him and Baekhyun together but no, his parents and Madame Wu are present and are only behind Yoora. What is worse is that Yoora has a smirk on her face, as if mocking Chanyeol at his attempt of escaping the scene. To add salt to the wound, she smiles and says, “It’s really the two of you. What a coincidence to see you, Baekhyun-ssi. I’m happy that you and Chanyeol are comfortable with each other. I hope you are enjoying your conversation.”

 

A lady, who is in her early forties, wears a Black Wonder Pencil Dress, and a gentleman in his late forties, wears a simple black and white combination suit. Both are confused at Yoora’s statement. Madame Wu on the other hand, looks amused at the scene. The look on her daughter and the young man, Chanyeol are too precious and priceless to ignore, so she let out a silent chuckle. And to lessen the awkwardness, Madame Wu starts a conversation by asking her daughter.

 

“Bernadette, my dear. Do you know this young man?”

 

Before Baekhyun can say no, Yoora intervenes, “Actually Madame Wu, Bernadette here and my brother, Chanyeol are attending the same school and they are classmates as well.”

 

Madame Wu looks at Yoora then back at the two youngsters, with a raised brow. “Oh really? What a coincidence though. I mean, Bernadette dear, this person is whom I wanted you to meet next week, when we talked on the phone.”

 

Baekhyun feels hyperventilating, not believing her mother to plan a freaking meet up with the last person she expected to meet. To spare her from embarrassment, she tries to maintain her usual calm expression but unconsciously jaw drops and eyes widen, gaping like a fish out of the tank, much to the amusement of the adults. Chanyeol narrows his eyes at his sister, who smirks smugly at him.

 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes then his eyes widen, realizing what the Eldest Wu just said and turns his head towards his parents with a frown on his face, “What did she mean by that, eomma?”

 

The lady, whom Baekhyun assumes as Chanyeol’s mother, respond to her son, “Like what Madame Wu said, we plan to let you meet the youngest child of Madame Wu, who is coincidentally your classmate.”

 

Chanyeol scowls at his parents, “Don’t tell me, you are still planning to make me break up with Dara-noona.”

 

The man, who is Chanyeol’s father snorts, “Of course we do. I always tell you, I will never approve your relationship with her.”

 

“Like I would listen, anyway.” Chanyeol mutters under his breath and Baekhyun, who is a few centimeters away, heard it and decides to ignore it.

 

“Your father is right, Chanyeol. You are becoming too obsessed with your relationship with Sandara-ssi, it’s a disgrace.”

 

“Then marrying me off to a woman who I only know a little, is not a disgrace? I do not know why you disapprove so much, eomma.” Chanyeol lowkey, sneers at his own mother and Yoora shots him a disapproving look.

 

“Chanyeol! You are being rude to Madame Wu and to her daughter. And we are not forcing you to marry Miss Bernadette here. Why are you talking about marriage all of a sudden?” Mrs. Park looks at her son, confused at his statement.

 

Chanyeol is about to retaliate when another voice interrupt him, for the second time.

 

“What’s going here, Auntie? Unnie?” a familiar voice, echoes at their place.

 

Everyone turn their heads towards the direction of the voice and sees Sehun who is walking towards their direction and is looking at them with a confused look.

 

“Shixun dear, where have you been? I’ve been searching for you but I found Bernadette instead.” Madame Wu exclaims.

 

Sehun smiles sheepishly as she walk to stand beside Baekhyun, who is very quiet and fidgeting and places her hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder, for her to relax before responding to Madame Wu’s question, “Well, Bernadette-unnie here left me with the others to get a flute of champagne but did not return, so I decided to look for her, only to see you as well, Auntie.”

 

Madame Wu acknowledges the reason by ignoring it and introduces Sehun to the Parks.

 

Mrs. Park acknowledges Sehun by asking her, “How have you been, Sehun? You have become a beautiful lady. Are you fine now?”

 

Sehun smiles at Mrs. Park and bows to Mr. Park, who nods his head in acknowledgement.

 

“I have been well, Mrs. Park. Though I am still not used to everything that is happening but I am doing my best to accept it. Thank you for asking. Also, you also look younger than when we last saw each other, Mrs. Park.”

 

Mrs. Park chuckles, “You flatter me too much, Sehun. There is no way that an old person like me would look younger.”

 

Mr. Park retorts, “I agree with Sehun, yeobo. You look younger and prettier each day that it feels like we are only dating and not married.”

 

Yoora cringes at her father’s cheesiness. Chanyeol rolls his eyes before looking elsewhere. Baekhyun smiles gently. Both Madame Wu and Sehun laughs at this.

 

Mrs. Park slightly blushes before slapping her husband on his shoulder, “Yeobo! Not in public. Aigoo, I apologize for my husband.”

 

Madame Wu waves her hand, as if to tell her that it is alright.

 

Chanyeol is quite thankful towards Sehun for disrupting the conversation or else…

 

“By the way, what are you all talking about earlier, before I came?”

 

...or not.

 

“Oh, it’s only Chanyeol being sensitive. I wonder why he became so aggressive when it comes to marriage though. He was quite excited to get married before, though I do not approve of his relationship right now.” Mrs. Park smiles gently.

 

“Oh?” Sehun blinks then looks at both Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who are looking back at her with pleading eyes, as if telling her not to say a word.

 

Madame Wu notice this and asks Sehun, “Shixun, what’s the matter?”

 

Sehun turns her attention towards the adults, smiling and says, “I am just wondering why you think Chanyeol-oppa is sensitive towards marriage. I mean, he seems happy with Sandara-sunbaenim.”

 

Mr. Park snorts, as if not believing Sehun’s statement.

“I wish that my son should wake up from his dream. I will never allow him to marry her at all cost.”

 

“Why would you think Chanyeol-oppa is going to marry Sandara-sunbae?” Sehun asks, curious about the reason, though she has an idea in mind.

 

Mrs. Park answers her question, “Oh, Chanyeol here told us that he will use the tradition in your school to propose. So we conclude that Sandara accepted the proposal.”

 

Sehun tilts her head, “But that did not happen though.”

 

Everyone looks at her with different reactions: Chanyeol, who is glaring daggers at her; Baekhyun who is trying not to show that she is panicking; Yoora, who smiles in amusement; Madame Wu, who is calm; Mr. Park who is looking at her in surprise and Mrs. Park, who is staring at her curiously.

 

“What do you mean, Sehun?” Mr. Park asks.

 

Sehun blinks in confusion, “Chanyeol-oppa never told you?” then Sehun looks at Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who are both feeling uncomfortable, that is when she realize that both did not tell their parents. Sehun can tell as she feels Chanyeol glaring daggers at her, which she tries to ignore. ‘Well, . I’m sorry Baekhyun-unnie, Chanyeol-oppa. If only you both gave me some warning then this whole crap won’t happen.’

 

“Tell us what exactly?” Both Mr. and Mrs. Park look at their son, demanding an answer from him.

 

Chanyeol looks back at his parents and is about to say something when his sister cuts him by elbowing him and answer on his behalf, “Let me fill you in, appa, eomma. You see, Chanyeollie here only used Sandara-ssi to aggravate you and eomma. Of course, I am included in the list. But I never realized it is only to cover up the real person who caught Chanyeol’s interest. I only found out when he used the academy’s tradition.”

 

Mrs. Park raises her brow as she look at her son, “Is that true, Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol immediately exclaims, “No!”

 

Yoora pretends to be annoyed by rolling her eyes, “No need to be shy, Chanyeol. I’m sure appa and eomma will be happy to meet her. I mean, she is here after all.”

 

At this time, everyone including Sehun, look at Yoora in confusion.

 

“What do you mean, ‘here’? She’s here? Where?” Mr. and Mrs. Park look around the place. Madame Wu stays silent but you can feel her curiosity. Sehun and Baekhyun both look at Yoora, asking themselves what she is spouting about. Chanyeol is trying to hold himself down, not wanting to choke his sister and make a scene.

 

Yoora only smiles, a bit apologetic but mostly amused at the whole situation as she lifts her arm and forefinger and points at Baekhyun, without saying anything. Sehun’s, Baekhyun’s, and Chanyeol’s eyes widen scandalously as Madame Wu stares at her daughter with a surprise look.

 

“Bernadette, why did you not tell me?” Madame Wu asks, the hint of surprise is still present in her tone.

 

Baekhyun only smiles sheepishly, does not even know how to explain this whole ordeal. Chanyeol is quite thankful for her silence but damn, he would be bombarded with questions from his parents too.

 

Mrs. Park seems thrilled at the outcome and smiles gently at Baekhyun, “I would like also to know where and when did you and Chanyeol meet?”

 

“U-uh… I-I…”

 

“Eomma, stop bombarding her with questions.” Chanyeol interrupts his mother from asking further.

 

“But you never tell us that you like someone else and here we thought that you are still with Sandara-ssi.” Mrs. Park sulks at his son for keeping a secret from her, his own mother.

 

“Eomma, it’s not like that. We-”

 

Mr. Park suddenly drops a bomb by asking out of the blue, “Ms. Wu, are you really in a serious relationship with my son?”

 

Baekhyun feels nervous when Mr. Park stares intimidatingly at her, but for some reason, she is calm despite the nervousness. And is about to give her response to the question when someone suddenly pulls her arm and finds herself landing on something warmth.

 

Baekhyun blinks before looking up, to see Chanyeol. That is when she realizes that she is in Chanyeol’s arms. She also realizes that the hand that pulls her towards him, is now resting on her waist. Baekhyun cannot help herself but turn red at the contact. What’s worse is that her heart almost stopped beating at what Chanyeol says to his parents.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“Yes, we are in a relationship. To further elaborate it, we are dating since middle school and I met her in a cafe close to her previous school. Are you happy now?”

 

Both Yoora and Sehun stare at Chanyeol, not really believing the guy to get along with the flow. Baekhyun also, is staring at him, not believing him to tell such a lie to his parents. Mr. Park stares at them with an unreadable expression, quite suspicious at the revelation. Only Madame Wu and Mrs. Park are happy with the revelation and both are now dragging the newly “official” couple at the side, near the balcony, leaving the other three behind.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

Sehun can hear both mothers are bombarding the couple new sets of question from afar.

 

“Bernadette, is this why are always getting home late? And the reason you accept my offer to transfer to the academy? Why did you not tell me that you are in relationship?”

 

“I agree with Madame Wu, Chanyeol. You should have told us your relationship, instead of lying about Sandara-ssi.”

 

And so on.

 

Sehun feels bad for the two, though she wonders why Chanyeol lied about their relationship.

 

“I do think that they are faking their relationship.” Mr. Park says after minutes of silence, which snaps Sehun out of her thoughts.

 

“What makes you think so, Mr. Park? It’s true that they are engaged though.”

 

“I can tell it is a one-sided relationship on your cousin’s part, Sehun. Chanyeol is kind of stupid, not to see it. Also, I can bet my company on the line that the proposal is caused by an accident. And met during middle school? How could he do that when he was locking himself from the world at that time.” Mr. Park snorts.

 

Sehun stares at Mr. Park in surprise, for the fact that he really predicted the scenario that happened on Baekhyun’s first day.

 

“I am surprised that you are not fooled by Chanyeol’s lies, appa.” Yoora says as she stares at scene from where she is.

 

“It will take years for him to fool this old man. Same goes for you, Yoora. Don’t think you are off the hook. I know that Chanyeol is really serious about Sandara-ssi.” Mr. Park proudly says and reprimands Yoora at the same time, before looking at Sehun, “So, why did you not tell the truth, instead of keeping quiet? I’m sure that you do not want your cousin to get hurt in the end.”

 

Sehun chuckles, “As much as I want to protect her from getting hurt, it’s already too late to warn her. If unnie really gets hurt, I will always be there for her.” then Sehun’s facial expression changes into a very serious one, “ Besides…”

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

After an hour of being bombarded with questions, Chanyeol and Baekhyun are both exhausted and are now sitting on a bench at the balcony. Chanyeol, who has his elbows on top of his knees and Baekhyun, whose back is leaning at the wall behind her.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-Flashback- (an hour ago)

 

When both Chanyeol and Baekhyun got dragged to the side, near the balcony.

 

“So when this relationship start? And you better not lie to me, Park Chanyeol or else.” Mrs. Park began her interrogation.

 

Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun, who did the same and stared for a while before both of them decided to humor their mothers, so that they would shut up. So Chanyeol began his so-called “love story”,

 

“It happened when I transferred to the dorms from home, and I noticed a cafe near a school, which I did not know that is where Bae-I mean, Bernadette studied. Anyway, I entered the cafe and ordered some Iced Latte and waited for it and that is when I first noticed Bernadette. She was sitting at the table in a corner, reading a book. Since I am intrigued, I approached her and initiated a conversation. She was quite shy, though.”

 

Baekhyun continued, “I was uncomfortable being approached like that at first, since I am not a fan of getting attention but I became used to it when we met again a few times at the same cafe.”

 

“Bernadette, is this why you are always getting home late? And the reason you accept my offer to transfer to the academy? Why did you not tell me that you are in relationship?”

 

“I agree with Madame Wu, Chanyeol. You should have told us your relationship, instead of lying about Sandara-ssi.”

 

Chanyeol responded, “It’s true that I was in a relationship with Dara-noona but it is only to cover my relationship with Bernadette. She knew anyway and since Bernadette is not a student of SM Academy, I had to pretend with Dara-noona and it gave me both heart attack and happiness when I learned that Bernadette will be studying at the academy.”

 

Baekhyun only smiled, “When I learned that Chanyeol is studying at the same academy as Kris-oppa and Sehun, I accepted your proposition, mother. I’m sorry for not telling.”

 

“Then your proposal using the tradition is…?” Mrs. Park asked her son.

 

“When I learned about Bernadette, I immediately searched for her among the crowd in the auditorium. Though I am not sure if she was aware of the tradition or not, I decided to throw the apple. I’m glad she did caught it.”

 

Madame Wu suddenly hugged Baekhyun, and mumbles on how her daughter is growing up too soon for her liking. Mrs. Park pats her son and smiles, telling him that she is proud.

 

They talked about wedding preparations, but both Baekhyun and Chanyeol said that they are not planning to get married yet as it was too early for them. And both told their mothers that they want to get to know one another, now that they were near each other and they wanted to stay as engaged for a while.

 

Both mothers sulked but decided that both teenagers were right and dropped the subject.

 

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol sighed in relief when Madame Wu’s phone rang and excused herself and left the scene and it was also Mrs. Park’s cue to leave and search for her husband, bid goodbye to the youngsters and left, leaving Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who both decided to take a breathe outside and both went to the balcony.

 

-Flashback ends-

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

“I wonder why mothers are like this, always curious about their children’s affairs.” Chanyeol asks out of nowhere.

 

Baekhyun replies softly, a hint that she is really tired, “My mother is usually not that curious but then again, she is quite worried about my non-existent love life.”

 

Chanyeol takes a glance at Baekhyun before looking at the sky, “Why is that? You are not ugly to begin with. Not that I care or anything.”

 

Baekhyun only smiles.

“In my previous school, I am an outcast. Despite my looks being average, they always look at me with judgmental looks. Something like I am a parasite that needs to be dispose of.”

 

Chanyeol feels a pang of guilt in his chest when Baekhyun says the word “dispose” but he ignores it.

 

“But why did you lie about our relationship? Although we are engaged because of the tradition, why did you lie? Especially when it is part of our contract that our parents won’t find out? I never knew that you are one to break the rules when you are so adamant about not telling them.”

 

Chanyeol snorts at this, “I lied about it, does not mean I like you or anything. If what my sister said earlier about covering my relationship with you by using Dara-noona…” then he looks at Baekhyun with a serious look then…

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“It’s the other way around. I am using you to cover my relationship with Dara-noona. Because that is how much I love her. I only took advantage of this whole engagement thing, regardless of how you feel about it.” Chanyeol stands up from the bench and walk towards the railings and turns around to face back towards to where Baekhyun is sitting, whose face is covered under her bangs.

 

“But aren’t you the same though? I mean Woohyun-sunbaenim? Your taste is quite peculiar, you know that? Going for someone who is already engaged? But I guess looks can be deceiving, isn’t that right, Oh Baekhyun-ssi?” Chanyeol smirks as he leans his back against the railings and crossing his arms at the same time.

 

Baekhyun is silent, not realizing that her tears are already forming at the corner of her eyes.

 

Chanyeol continues, “I also heard that Luhan-sunbaenim seem to be attracted to you. Don’t push your luck though, Luhan-sunbae is known for his playboy persona. How he got Sehun as his fiancee, is none of my concern. Though I understand Sehun’s case, it was yours that I do not get.”

 

Baekhyun stands up from the bench, head still facing down on the floor and walks slowly towards Chanyeol, who is still spouting things, “And Jongin, he seems to like you. I wonder why a kingka like Jongin is comfortable towards a nerd like you. Especially when I heard that he let you rode inside his precious sports car, what potion did you use to him?”

 

Baekhyun stands a few meters away from Chanyeol, who looks down on her.

 

“What? Why are you not saying anything? Cat got your tongue? Or are those rumors circulating, true?”

 

Baekhyun slowly lifts both head and her right hand and then….




 

SLAP!




 

Chanyeol finds himself facing to the right and feels pain around his left cheek. He slowly faces to the front, to see Baekhyun looking at him with hurt and pain in her two, obsidian-like eyes and crystal clear tears flowing down but he can tell that she is angry. He also notice that her right hand is still lifted in the air.

 

Baekhyun chokes, to find her voice, “What do you know? Do you think that you are the only one who does not want this whole thing? Do you think that you are the only one who is miserable? Do you think that you are the only one who is trying to get out of this relationship that both of us had nothing to do with one another? Think again, buddy. The one who is suffering in this whole ordeal is me! Me, as in me in so many forms! You think I want to be caged in an engagement like this? No! You think I wanted to be transferred at that academy? No! You think I wanted to be treated like a disposable item? , hell no!”

 

“Then why are you there in the first place?! If it wasn’t for you, I would be now engaged to Dara-noona!” Chanyeol retorts back, not realizing his voice to be raising.

 

“If I do not owe my family something, I would have left that lion’s den called academy, ages ago! You think it is my fault that you got engaged to someone who is not your girlfriend? I should be the one who is supposed to be enraged at what happened. It was my first day at that academy then suddenly got engaged without any idea what kind of crap do the school has as a tradition. But I never made a big deal out of it because a tradition is only a tradition in a particular place, not the whole freaking country.”

 

Chanyeol narrows his eyes at Baekhyun, for even daring to talk back at him. If there is one thing that Chanyeol hates, it is someone who talks back, especially from a nobody like Baekhyun.

 

“Oh really? Then why didn’t you leave? It would have been better if you left, break off our engagement at your own volition. So why didn’t you?!”

 

“”Because I have feelings for you!”

Chanyeol’s eyes widen in surprise, so as Baekhyun’s as she covers with her hands.

 

“W-what did you say…?” Chanyeol asks, trying not to believe what he just heard.

 

Baekhyun, who still have tears flowing from her eyes, is shaking, not even saying anything.

 

“I-I…”

 

“Just say it!”

 

Baekhyun takes a deep breath before uttering the words carefully, “I like you, Chanyeol-ssi… but I wasn’t planning to...c-confess, knowing that you will never like me in return…”

 

“Then why?” Chanyeol coldly asks as he clutches his hand, trying to control his emotions.

 

“Because I had enough. Your words always hurt me. Your actions hurt me. But do you know what hurts the most?” Baekhyun looks up and stares at Chanyeol with her teary-eyed eyes.

 

“Is the fact that I fell for you, Park Chanyeol. But I am thankful to have met you because I know that no one will love me for what I am.”

 

Baekhyun wipes off her tears and smiles cheerfully at Chanyeol, “Don’t worry, now that you know about my feelings, I will file a letter for transfer and letter of breaking the engagement with you. I will also file a letter to Ryeowook-unnie for permission to use one of the rooms in the Couples’ Sanctuary, so that you will not see me within your personal space. At least, until I leave this school.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widen slightly, not noticing his feeling of discomfort when he heard Baekhyun statement.

 

Baekhyun smiles slightly before turning her back towards Chanyeol and walks back inside but not before taking a glance at Chanyeol, who is still standing at the balcony.

 

“If I were to wish one thing, I… “

 

Chanyeol is left speechless, to the point where he can now feel his discomfort. The feeling of discomfort sets Chanyeol on edge and need to do something to prevent that but shrugs it off instead.

 

“This is the right thing to do…” Chanyeol mutters to himself.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

Sehun has been searching for Baekhyun for an hour now, per Madame Wu’s order but she never see a glimpse of the youngest Wu. She sighed and decided to inform Madame Wu when she takes notice of a familiar figure running towards the front entrance of the ballroom. Sehun then tries to run after her but stops immediately when she noticed the figure crying.

 

‘Baekhyun-unnie?’ Is the only thing Sehun can think of. She looks around and sees Chanyeol entering the room through the balcony door. She observes Chanyeol and takes note of his expression as being in pain and feeling uncomfortable.

 

‘Just what the hell happened?’ Sehun’s only thoughts before someone tapping on her shoulders.

 

Sehun turns around, to see Chanyeol’s sister, Yoora smiling at her but she averts her gaze towards Chanyeol.

 

“Chanyeol is stubborn, stupid and selfish, don’t you think so?” Yoora asks as she continues to stare at Chanyeol, who takes a flute of Champagne from the waiter.

 

Sehun sighs as she also turns her head to observe Chanyeol, “Is Chanyeol-oppa really drinking? I do not peg him for a drinker. But he is actually selfish, Yoora-unnie. I do not understand why he is acting so cold to Baekhyun-unnie.”

 

“I do apologize for getting your cousin involved, Sehun-ah. I do expect that Baekhyun-ssi would be having feelings for my brother. I also did expect Chanyeol but I wonder why he is so inclined to Dara-ssi. I mean yes, she is beautiful and smart but he is not suitable for someone like my brother. Am I a bad sister?”

 

“There must be a reason why you are so against his relationship with her but if Auntie knew about this, she would be furious. Baekhyun-unnie is Auntie Wu’s favorite girl.”

 

“I won’t force Baekhyun-ssi to continue if she gives up.” Yoora stated.

 

“But the whole trans-”

 

“It only applies to Chanyeol. Don’t tell anyone though.” Yoora chuckles at Sehun’s priceless expression.

 

Sehun can’t help but smile too, “You are using your authority, just for this? Unbelievable.”

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

Chanyeol returns to the Sacred Sanctuary dorm and walks wobbly towards his shared room with Baekhyun, literally drunk from the Champagnes that he drank during the party. He opens the door with his key and enters the room. He closes it and realizes it is dark.

 

‘Is Baekhyun already asleep?’ Those are his thoughts as he drags his wobbly body towards the sofa and lies down. He closes his eyes and falls asleep, along with the thought of Baekhyun’s words ringing in his mind.

 

.

.

.

.

 

“I want to disappear. Not only from you or the school, but also from everything. I wish I never met everyone, including you.”

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

A/N: Hi guys, guess who's back? I am sorry for suddenly disappearing like that. But I assure you that I did not abandon any of my stories. I can't promise when is the next time I will post a chapter but I promise I will finish all of my stories. For now, please read and comment down below your feedbacks.