Chapter 12: "Rumors" and a Dinner Party

Everything Started with an Apple (Chapter 13 update 7/15/19)

Chapter 12:

“Rumors” and a Dinner Party


 

After that unexpected and dreadful pop quiz from their oh so-sadistic teacher, everyone in the Class 5-A are either resting their heads on their desk, grimaced at their answers or complaining to their classmates regarding said quiz. The teacher already left an hour ago and they have the next two hours as free study. Baekhyun used the remaining time to finish her assignments for her fifth subject of the day, which is English Literature.

 

Baekhyun now, is walking outside the Building through the Cafeteria and towards one of the trees near the building and sits down. She opens her English Literature textbook and her notes then uncaps her pen to start writing her assignment.

Baekhyun is too concentrated on her assignment, that she did not realize that there is a presence that sits down beside her. She keeps on writing her assignment about classical literature and William Shakespeare when…

 

“Your answer is way off-topic from the question, Baekhyun-ssi.”

 

The voice make Baekhyun jumps off her feet in shock, almost getting off-balance before looking at her side to see Woohyun, who is looking at her with an amused look.

 

“Woohyun-sunbaenim, don’t scared me like that!. Baekhyun exclaims before taking her sit again on the grass field.

 

“Sorry about that, Baekhyun. Anyway, look at your answer again then at the question before checking your textbook.” Woohyun says, with a hint of amusement.

 

Baekhyun did as what she was told but she cannot see what is wrong with her answer until the senior of the two, points out what is wrong using his forefinger. Baekhyun blushes in embarrassment at her mistake before rewriting her answer. Then soon enough, the senior-junior duo are in their own world, the former guiding his junior in the assignment, not noticing several pairs of eyes on them, giving different reactions from a far.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-from the same place, different spot-

 

“Since when did Woohyun-sunbaenim and Baekhyun-noona became close?”

 

“I am not sure Jongin but perhaps, they became close during the club registrations.”

 

“How would you know that, Kyungsoo-noona?” Jongin, whose back is against the tree, looking at the duo not far from their spot.

 

Kyungsoo smiles before replying, “Sehun and Baekhyun told me when they visited our Cooking Club during the Club registrations, Jongin.”

 

Joonmyeon, who is sipping her tea from the paper cup, says, “As long as he makes Baekhyun get out from her depressing self and make her feel better, who are we to oppose their interaction?”

 

“I am not against them interacting, noona.” Jongin grumbles under his breath.

 

Kris, who is sitting beside Joonmyeon, retorts, “As long as he does not fall for her, whether he sees Baekhyun as a dongsaeng or as a woman, I’m fine with it.”

 

Joonmyeon snorts at this, “You and your complex towards Baekhyun, Kris. And besides, I am sure that would not be the case and will never happen, you know that.”

 

“That would be better if that is the case. After all…” Kris mutters under his breath, only Joonmyeon can hear.

 

Joonmyeon shakes her head in exasperation.

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo look back and forth from Joonmyeon to Kris then looks at each other and frowns, confused.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-At the Grand Cafeteria-

 

“Hey guys! Check outside.”

 

“Isn’t that…”

 

Woohyun-sunbaenim and the transfer student?”

 

“Why are they together?”

 

“Isn’t the transfer student engaged to Park Chanyeol?”

 

“Is she two-timing them? She does not look like she can do that though.”

 

“But if you look at it closely, they are kinda cute together.”

 

“But isn’t Woohyun engaged as well? There is a rumor about it too.”

 

“I’m sure that was not true, it would break my heart. Although it could be true too…”

 

And the gossip goes on…

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-At the other side of the Grand Cafeteria-

 

“That of a nerd, how dare she…” Hyomin growls as she chops on her salad with a fork while glaring daggers at the scene outside.

 

“Why don’t we do something to get rid of her? Of course, let’s include the other es away from our beloved kingkas.” Tiffany says as she takes a piece of Korean beef into as she looks outside.

 

“The nerd has been taken care of by those crazy es. Though, it depends when will they really get rid of her.” Hyoyeon slurps on her chocolate milkshake.

 

“Same for Oh Sehun , but she has protection from the council members.” Sojin plainly stated while checking on her nails.

 

“Do Kyungsoo as well. Though, did not expect the to fight back.” Tiffany eats another piece of meat.

 

“Hyoyeon smirks at the statement, “Not for long, girls.”

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-At the rooftop-

 

“They look so close together.” Sandara comments on the scene below them as she sips on her juice. Chanyeol, who is with her and is sitting on the floor, playing his guitar, looks at her with a frown on his face.

 

“Who is?”

 

“Nam Woohyun-ssi and Oh Baekhyun-ssi.”

 

“I could care less if they are close or not, Dara-noona.” Chanyeol comments dryly before playing the guitar again/

 

Sandara looks at Chanyeol with a frown on her face, not quite liking how the younger is responding to the matter.

 

“Chanyeol, she is your fiancee. You should care about her. Give her a chance.”

 

“No, I won’t do that. Not when I have you.” Chanyeol says it flatly.

 

“But Chanyeol-”

 

“ I said I won’t, no matter what happens. The girl who I will marry is you and only you and no one else.”

 

“But Chanyeol, that is not…” Sandara never finish her sentence when Chanyeol leaves with the guitar in his hand and goes back inside, leaving her alone at the rooftop.

 

Sandara stares again at the couple before looking up at the sky, silently saying, ‘This is becoming unhealthy, Chanyeol…’

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

Class ended at five o’clock and Baekhyun is putting on her outdoor shoes before walking outside the building through the front entrance, alone. Kyungsoo has club activities today while Jongin, Sehun and Minseok are nowhere to be found.

 

Baekhyun only sighs and before she can take a step down the stairs, she notice someone who is not a student but an old man whose hair is as grey as his watch on his wrist and wearing a pair of suits and is standing at the end of the stairs. She recognizes him immediately and carefully run down the stairs towards him.

 

“Butler Huang! What are you doing here?”Baekhyun asks and smiles at the old butler.

 

The old butler, Huang smiles and bows curtly at the younger lady, “I came here to fetch you up, my lady. Lady Sehun is already waiting inside the car.”

 

“Fetch me? Where are we going?” Baekhyun looks at Butler Huang, frowning in confusion.

 

“To the main house. Madame Wu’s orders.”

 

“Is there an occasion?”

 

“Yes, my lady. The Madame is apparently invited to another dinner party, I will give more details when we get in the car.” Butler Huang says as he takes the bag from Baekhyun’s hand for him to carry then starts to walk forward to get to the main building at the front, which will take ten to fifteen minutes.

 

Baekhyun immediately follows behind the butler and asks what is happening in the household while she is not there and the like.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

They continue chatting until they reach the car, which is at the parking lot. Butler Huang first walk towards the car and silently opens the door at the back for Baekhyun. Baekhyun smiles before getting inside and smiles when she notice Sehun looking at her. Butler Huang closes the door before opening the door at the passenger seat and gets inside as the Chauffeur, Kim Seunghwan starts the engine.

 

Baekhyun looks at the Chauffeur and greets him, who did the same to Baekhyun.

 

Sehun, who is quite silent before, starts questioning Butler Huang, who is fixing the airconditioner, about what this dinner party all about. Of course, Baekhyun also asks the same and is quite interested what it is about.

 

Butler Huang chuckles a bit before opening his mouth to inform them,

 

“This dinner party is a charity party hosted by the Byun Enterprises’ CEO Byun Baekcheon with his first son, Byun Baekbeom, the soon-to-be CEO. This charity party is consist of all business tycoons around the world, from the powerful ones to the middle ones. All employees that consist the company are all invited. I am not sure if this is true but from what I heard, this is to commemorate the deceased youngest child of the CEO. I am not sure what his or her name was.”

 

Sehun only hums with her usual expressionless face and says, “I see. But I am quite surprised that they decided to host a party for youngest child.”

 

“How long did the youngest child died? And what happened to him ot her?” Baekhyun asks, feeling sorrowful about it.

 

Butler Huang is in deep thoughts for a bit before continuing, “I am not sure what happened, my lady. All I know is that the child vanished one day, the body has not been found and that the police declared the child as dead. It’s been years since then.”

 

Baekhyun looks grim for a bit before asking, “Are they using their child for this stupid party? Are they that greedy for money or something?”

 

“No, Baekhyun-unnie. The Byuns are pretty much down to earth people. From what I remember, the Byuns were very affected at their loss. They never show themselves in public after the incident. This is their first time hosting a party after years of silence.” Sehun replies to Baekhyun’s questions.

 

“But why now?”

 

“Perhaps, it is for the business tycoons and us, childrens to be aware that in our world, it is not all rainbows and pixies and flowers and that there will be a day that we may not see the future. But of course, it is only from my perspective.” Sehun smiles slightly at Baekhyun, who nods her head in understanding.

 

As they continue their conversation, they have notice that they have arrived at the Wu Residence. The gate automatically opens and the car enters and drives until they park in the front door of the mansion.

 

Butler Huang takes off his seatbelt before opening the door at the passenger seat then gets out the car to open the door at the back for the Oh cousins. Baekhyun first comes out then Sehun follows shortly. Butler Huang then guides them inside the mansion. As they enter, Madame Wu is standing at the end of the stairs, with the maids and butlers align on both sides and greets the ladies. Madame Wu then runs to hug her precious babies.

 

“I’m so glad that you both get home safe.”

 

“Mother, it’s nice to see you too. Though we just see each other last time at the dinner date.” Baekhyun smiles as she hugs her mother. Sehun only chuckles at the conversation.

 

“Oh Bernadette, that’s been ages ago. Sehun, don’t you dare to think otherwise. I’m your aunt.”

 

Sehun just chuckles some more.

 

Madame Wu glances at the clock before her eyes widen in surprise.

 

“Oh my god! We only have one and a half hour left, girls. Come on, let’s get you two fixed. Go on, move, move.” Madame pushes Baekhyun and Sehun upstairs and to their respective rooms to get change.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-At the Dinner Party: The Grand Hotel-

 

((( (A/N: descriptions about make ups is so not my style. Sorry about that. So if there’s a vague description, just comment below what make up is suitable for Baekhyun and Sehun.) )))

 

Both Baekhyun and Sehun, along with Madame Wu were able to arrive on time. The three ladies are all wearing classy and elegant gowns to fit for today’s dinner party.

 

Baekhyun notices that almost every people who attended are wearing either, black or white formal attires. Her mother, Madame Wu is wearing a Chinese long Traditional Cheongsam Dress black white print short Sleeve Elegant Qipao and her hair is styled in a simple yet elegant bun. Madame Wu wears a simple make up consist of bright red lipstick, a bit of eyeliner and dark-colored eye shadow and pinkish blush o, making her look young. Sehun on the other hand, is wearing a vintage style black Lace Panel Ruched Swing Dress and her hair is styled in a Mini Twists, Half-up Half-down Updo Hairstyle. Sehun’s make up made her look like her age, despite the twenty-four seven mature expression. It consist of light colors that suits her beautiful dress.

 

Baekhyun feels nervous and fiddles around her white dress. Sehun notice this and tells her to calm down. Baekhyun only smiles sheepishly. Sehun chuckles before commenting, “Baekhyun-unnie, you are beautiful, no need to feel self-conscious. Your dress suits you, I assure you.”

 

Baekhyun smiles, feeling relieved about Sehun’s words. Before she can reply, Madame Wu tells the girls to follow her around and greet other people, which they did. They make acquaintance with some of the children the business tycoons that they take with them to the party. Some of the daughters and sons commented on how beautiful Baekhyun is and they also commented how they were supposed to study at SM Academy and the like. Sehun only smiles politely when they commented on her dress.

 

As they all continue conversing with one another, Baekhyun excuse herself to get some champagne at the dine table at the side, leaving her cousin behind. Baekhyun carefully stroll around the room, carefully not bumping to anyone, especially the male population in the room.

 

When Baekhyun reaches the dine table, she is about to get a flute of champagne when another hand take the one that she is about to get.

 

Baekhyun turn her head on her side, to look who it is until…

 

“Oh Baekhyun?” a familiar deep voice mention her name.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

-Chanyeol’s POV-

 

I grumble under my breath when my family and I arrive at the dinner party hosted by the Byuns at the Grand Hotel. To be honest, I am not looking forward to attend this stupid party if it wasn’t for my mother who threatened me to never see Dara-noona again. The nerve, really.

 

My mother told me to greet some of the guests while my sister, Yoora-noona was told to search for the Byuns as my parents go greet their business partners who attended the dinner party.

 

Many daughters and sons of the business tycoons recognize me and they immediately glue themselves to me, some of the daughters start flirting with me but I ignore them.

 

When they compliment me about my attire, I only smile awkwardly and politely give my thanks but in my mind, I roll my eyes.

 

People these days, always complimenting to get something from me. I only sigh in exasperation before excusing myself from the ladies and gentlemen, for me to get some champagne.

 

As I guide myself towards the dine table, I notice someone who is wearing a Summer Maxi Dress Women O-Neck Sleeveless Sweet Ball Gown White Organza High Low Evening Party Long Dress and her hair is styled in what I assumed, a Model Chignon (bun) Latin style, a style pleated in the front to one side and separated by a small hair, or hair styles that are curved and only allowed to fall down and has a white flower (is it fake or not, I do not know). So without realizing it, I walk to her side and accidentally bump my hand to her to get a flute of champagne on top. I look at her when she turn her head.

 

Only to give the biggest shock of my life. Who would have thought though. As much as I am really having a heart attack, I collected myself and utter her name.

 

“Oh Baekhyun?”

 

And I swear I see her face flushed beet red. I snort at that.

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

-Baekhyun’s POV-

 

Oh my god! Of all people to bump into, it has to be him? Wae?! Do you really hate my that much, gods and goddesses? And his voice, omo! Eotteokke!!! And his attire, he is wearing black coat and underneath it, he is wearing a black vest and a white t-shirt and a black tie under it. It suits him and his hair is styled up with what I can assume as wax Oh gosh, please tell me I am not blushing right now? And stupid heart, please stop beating so fast everytime you see him, damn it!

Wait, he is saying something. I do not understand a thing. So being stupid me, I utter a word without making sense.

 

“Huh?”

 

-No one’s POV-

 

“Huh?”

 

Chanyeol raises his brow, not really amused when he learns that Baekhyun is not listening to him.

 

“I said, what are you doing here. But that would be stupid to ask. Anyway, I hope this is the only time we will encounter each other during this dinner party. I rather not be seen with you, especially when our parents are around, understood?” Chanyeol says with a firm voice but Baekhyun can somehow detect the annoyance and threatened tone in it.

 

Baekhyun could only nod her head, feeling dejected that Chanyeol does not want her to be around him. Chanyeol nodded his head, muttering a “good”, and is about to leave her alone to go back conversing with the other elites when…

 

“Baekhyun-ssi? Chanyeol?”

 

~SM Academy ♥ SM Academy~

 

 

A/N: Hello guys! Happy New Year to all! And sorry for not able to post this chapter before the end of the year, because as much as I really want to deny, my laptop's charger got busted. So yeah.

 

So for the next chapter, perhaps, I will be posting it soon when I already bought a charger and an extra battery for my laptop. For now, enjoy reading~

 

And thank you for  still and keep  reading this story, despite the 3 years later update. *bows respectfully*

 

-nicoleloudanielle18 (former "lunaichinomiya")