New Year's Eve

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 64

Kyungsoo awoke with the biggest smile on his lips.

If he didn't take the failure of  his date with Kris, not to forget his run-in with his ex-girlfriend and a thundering headache into account, last night had been pretty amazing.
Kyungsoo stretched his tired but content body, reaching out for Kris.

Only. His bed was empty.

He slowly opened his eyes. There really was no Kris laying next to him anymore.
Puzzled, Kyungsoo got out of bed, heading for Kris's room.
Knocking twice on the door, he opened it, finding Kris fully awake by his desk. Without thinking Kyungsoo entered the room, wrapped his arms around Kris's neck, kissing the tall man on the cheek.

"Hey. How did you sleep?"
"I didn't."

In a flash Kyungsoo let go of Kris.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?"

Both males started blushing at the memory of last night.
Kyungsoo hadn't really known what to do but... Mamma D.O. to the rescue right? Damn. Kris's nickname for his mother was starting to rub off on him.
Anyway, Mamma D.O. had given him an extra present after Kris had left. As you may recall, his mother had bought him his first pack of condoms so of course she was also the one to provide him with a bottle of lube, more condoms and a safe pamphlet for same . It had been a little awkward to stop what they were doing in order for him to skim the pages.

It had been worth it though.

Hearing Kris's low moans and the pleasured expression on his beautiful face while he prepped his surprisingly warm entrance, sent warm spikes of desire to his groin.

"You didn't."
"Then why didn't you sleep?"

The tired looking man heaved a sigh, keeping his eyes at the floor.

"I just... I had a lot to think about."
"Like what?"
"It's not important..."
"Oh. Okay." Kyungsoo brushed it off, flopping down on Kris's bed.

"So I was thinking. Seeing as our first date wasn't exactly ideal, I thought we'd try again. Perhaps this time with a little less alcohol poisoning and just the two of us. Dinner and a movie?"

Kyungsoo already knew what he was going to make. Steaks with grilled potatoes and steamed asparagus. And for dessert strawberry meringues with homemade vanilla ice cream.
A perfect mix of the masculine and the feminine.

"Kyungsoo... I had a great time last night. Well at least for the latter half of the evening. But at the theater, and with Jongin and our friends... It didn't really seem like you wanted to be with me. I'm not saying that I don't want to be with you. I'm just saying that... maybe until you figure out how you feel, we should just... stay friends?"

That was sort of unexpected...
Kyungsoo's mouth fell open as he tried to comprehend Kris's words.

"Okay so... We sleep together and now you want to be 'just friends'? Yeah that makes sense."
"I'm sorry."
"Nono. Why would you be sorry? You got yours. You should be happy. You're no longer a 21 year old . Grats."
"It's not like that."
"Then what is it? Because right about now, I feel all kinds of used."
"I really, really like you Kyungsoo. But until you're... ready to open up about your feelings. About me. About us. Until then we shouldn't do anything else."
"But I am ready to open up about my feelings."
"So I guess the whole hidden hand holding and the debunk of our date was what, coming out of the closet?"
"Yeah, about that..."
"It doesn't matter. It made me feel rejected and I don't want the guy I like to make me feel that way."

Kyungsoo bit his lip.
The whale was right. He had been an awful date but truth is he really wanted to show everyone his feelings for Kris. It was just much, much harder in reality. Especially the part about coming out to his friends.

"I'm sorry. That was never my intention."
"I know."

 A pregnant pause arose as they both searched the room for something interesting. Letting a minute pass Kyungsoo finally got up, heading for the door.

"You're right. We're good as friends. We should just stay that way... I'll leave you alone now."
"Kyungsoo..."

Kyungsoo slammed the door, cutting Kris's sentence short.

-

Ask if Kris felt bad.
He did.
Now ask if he felt like bashing his head against a hard surface.
Oh he already did that five hours prior.
Why?
Here's why.

5 hours earlier.

Wow. So this was .
Kris couldn't stop smiling as he let the after rush submerge his body in exhaustion. Kyungsoo really knew his stuff.
It had scared him a little, the thought of having something press against his... well you know. But after the initial awkward joke about it feeling like pooping backwards, Kris actually started to enjoy the feeling.
Kris his sleeping 'boyfriend's' back, giggling at the thought of boyfriend. They were boyfriends now weren't they?
Squealing inside he hugged Kyungsoo closer, shutting his tired eyes.

'They love me cause I'm hot...'      
Kris flew out of the bed, luckily without flinging his boyfriend... 'Tee-hee' along with him. Searching the floor for his phone, Kris kept shushing his cell in the hope of not waking up Kyungsoo.
Finally digging his phone out from under the bed, Kris lightly stepped out of Kyungsoo's bedroom to take the call.

"Hello?"
"He...Hello. Is this Kris-shi?"
"Yeah. Who am I talking to?"
"This is... Krystal? We met briefly earlier tonight?"

Suddenly Kris was wide awake.

"Oh I know who you are."
"... I got your number from Joonmyun oppa. I hope that's okay."
"It really isn't."
"..."
"What do you want?"
"You and Kyungsoo seem to be very close. And I know this is not in my place to ask but... I need your help."
"Why on earth would I want to help you? And with what?" 
"I just need to talk to him."
"And you need me because?"
"You saw him tonight. He doesn't want to talk to me."
"Can you really blame him?"
"... I just need to talk to him."
"And where do I come in?"
"I was hoping you could somehow... make him? We both have unresolved feelings that needs to be... solved.  I know Kyungsoo's been having a hard time because of me and I want to help him. Help him move on."
"...So it would just be a small talk? That's it?"
"Yes."
"I don't know. I really care about Kyungsoo. He's like my best friend and... stuff. If you hurt him..."
"I won't. I just want to help."
"... Okay."
"So you'll do it?"
"I'll do it."
"Thank you so much Kris-shi! Thank you."
"Yeah..."

Kris hung up the phone.
A small part of him flashed a sign of danger over and over in bright red but the rest was convinced that this would be good for Kyungsoo. Honestly speaking, the guy clearly had some... issues.
The only question now was how he was going to make Kyungsoo speak to Krystal.
The 'how' seemed particularly difficult.
What would be the best way for him to initiate a conversation between the two?
Kris sat down at his desk finding a piece of paper.

Okay... say him and Kyungsoo went on a date and Krystal suddenly appeared...
Naah. Kyungsoo would most likely storm off again.

Then what if he made her come to their work place?
... Kyungsoo would be out the backdoor in a second.

What if he just asked Kyungsoo to speak to her?
Bad idea. The guy would either laugh him in the face or slap him silly.

Kris sighed.
Clearly this wouldn't be easy.
And definitely not from a boyfriend's point of view.  
... But maybe as a friend...

Yeah.
That might work.

If Kris pretended to be uninterested in being with Kyungsoo, perhaps that would help in the whole 'talk to Krystal to move on' thing. Now that he thought about it, Kris was quite disappointed about Kyungsoo neglecting him during their date. And to think how much effort he had put into Kyungsoo's outfit that day...

'Make Kyungsoo talk to Krystal by giving him some of his own medicine. Rejection.'

Mentally patting himself on the shoulder Kris put down his pen, stood up and walked towards his door. But before he had the sense to open it, Kris stopped dead in his track.
If he did this, then that would mean... That would mean that they couldn't be together. They would be just friends again.
Kris slammed his head against the door.

'Aw man.'

How could he do that? They were finally... 'more' now. How could he ruin that?
Kris returned to his seat.
All he could think about was how much he wanted to just smother the tiny guy and wake up next to him in the morning. Cook him breakfast in bed and stay there for the rest of the day, making love until next morning where they would repeat everything from the day before.

And now he couldn't.

Comforting himself with the thought that as soon as Krystal and Kyungsoo would've had their talk, the sooner Kyungsoo and him could get back on track and officially become... boyfriends.
Sighing yet again, Kris contemplated how the hell he was going to tell Kyungsoo.

-

'I don't care Kyungsoo. You are spending New Years eve with me and that's final.' 

Kyungsoo was on the phone with his mother. He already had plans for New years. Minseok was throwing a party which he was really looking forward to. Plus Chanyeol and Baekhyun would be there. He hadn't seen them in too long and now his nagging mother was insisting he go to some boring get-together with her friends and yes, Krystal would most likely be there.
The more reason not to go.

"Can I at least bring Kris? Hello?"

Oh great. His mother just hung up on him.
Him and Kris were somewhat normal around each other now. Of course the last couple of days hadn't been easy. Especially not after having seen Kris and all.
It was just weird.
In the beginning he had been angry at the big, fat whale of a guy but he could also, to some extent,  understand Kris's frustrations.
And that's why Kyungsoo had made a promise to himself to kiss Kris at midnight in front of all their friends. Coming out of the closet with a bang!

"Was that Mamma D.O.?"
"You guessed it."
"What's up?"
"Not much. Just being forced to ring in the new year with my mom and some of her closest which means around 30 yapping women gossiping all night and drinking twice their body-weight. It ain't pretty.  Just kill me now."
"Wait, so you're not coming to Minseokie's party?"
"Nope. Come with? Save me from losing my mind? I might even kiss you when the clock strikes twelve?"
"Kyungsoo..."
"Yes, yes I know. We're just friends blablabla... Come as my friend then?"
"I promised Tao that I'd be at their party..."
"You don't understand. Krystal's mother? She just so happens to be my mother's best friend. Guess who's also attending?"
"Krystal!"

Kyungsoo was taken aback by Kris's little outburst. Why was the guy smiling? No not smiling, grinning? He seemed way too happy to know that Kyungsoo's ex would be attending the same party.

"Krystal's coming?!"
"Erh... unfortunately yes. But after our little run-in the last time, hopefully she'll leave me alone. I'll just try and sneak out before she sees me."
"NO!"
"..."
"You know... I think it would be a good time to maybe... talk to her and... catch up?"

Kyungsoo almost fell out of his chair from shock. What was up with the blond giant?

"Are you crazy? I don't want to 'catch up'. If anything I want to throw her down and stomp on her a little."
"Kyungsoo."
"What? I said a little."
"Then don't talk to her but it might actually be good for you. Start the healing process?"
"Dude. I am all healed up thank you very much. Talking to her is the last thing I want to do. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go through 300 pages of sheet music. Later."

 

-

"Come in."

Kris stepped into the comforts of Minseokie's large apartment.
It would seem everyone was there, well for the exception of Kyungsoo. But if everything went as planned, Kyungsoo and him would soon be sharing the same bed again. Kris couldn't stop squealing at the thought.

"Kyungsoo isn't with you?"

Minseok took his coat before putting a sparkling party hat on him.

"He'll be here later. He just had to make an appearance at his mother's house first."
"Aah. Okay. Well grab something to drink and let's get this party started. Oh and whatever you do, do not speak a word of Luhan to Jongdae."
"Are they not speaking again?"
"They're... having some trouble. It's complicated. Just don't."

With that Minseokie left Kris standing in the foyer, wondering who to go talk to first.

It seemed as if people had split into small groups.
Luhan was looking rather tired as he sat on the couch staring into the distance while Sehun, Tao and Joonmyun were crowding him.
Jongin and Lay seemed to be far off in conversation.
A gloomy Jongdae stood in the far corner, not speaking to anyone.
Minseok was in the kitchen and that creepy dude Chan-something and the guy who made a move on Kris's Kyungsoo was sitting at the dining table, one stuffing his face with chips and the other with his nose in a book.

'What a great party.'

Kris shook his head before walking towards the couch. Sitting down next to Luhan he patted the sad man on the back.
"Happy new year, Luhan. Excited about 2015?"
All he got in return was a dragged out sigh and a far off stare.
Great.
Luhan was back to his zombie mode.

Realizing he wouldn't get any other response, Kris moved away from the couch to get himself a drink. Unfortunately all drinks were placed on the dining table which meant that Kris would have to interface with Kyungsoo's best friends.
Memories from their first encounter suddenly came screaming back to him.

"Hi... guys."

Chanyeol stopped with the chips, swallowed what was left in his mouth before pointing his right index- and middle finger towards his own eyes before pointing them at Kris. Baekhyun on the other hand briefly looked up from his book, only to bury it in the white pages once again.
Kris picked up a beer before backing away slowly.

"Okay...Nice seeing you again. Byebye then."


"Yeah. Dancing! That's  what I'm talking about."

Kris had walked up to Lay who was in the middle of teaching Jongin a dance move until he was interrupted by Kris who started busting a few moves. Kris felt awesome but from a spectator's perspective, Kris looked like he was covered in ants and electrocuted while playing 'the floor is made of lava'. 

"What are you doing?"

Lay tilted his head to the side with a quizzical look on his face.

"I'm dancing? Running man! Yeah!"
"Sorry Kris but I was just showing Jongin a small routine from the show."

Kris stopped mid-motion.
He could take a hint.

"Oh right. I'll.. Carry on."

 

"Need any help in here?"

Kris cautiously entered the kitchen. He knew Minseok preferred cooking in peace but it was either this or keeping a fuming Jongdae company.
This clearly seemed the better option.
Two steps in and Kris managed to knock over a container with flour when Minseok had sneaked up on him.
Minseok's mouth fell open, releasing small frustrated grunts at the mess in front of him.
"... Is that a no or...?"
"OUT!"

Kris now only had two options left.
He could either be the outsider drinking alone or join Jongdae and instead be the outsiders drinking with each other.
Both seemed kinda sad, he thought as he defeated joined Jongdae in the corner.

"Hi."
"I hate him."

Kris internally face-palmed.
This was going to be a long evening.

-

 Kyungsoo checked his watch before knocking on his mother's front door.
'19.30' 
Okay so four and a half hour here saying hello to 'almost' everyone and he could sneak off and join his friends at Minseok hyung's place.
Already dreading it, Kyungsoo plastered on his best fake smile as his mother answered the door.

"Kyungsoo honey!"
"Heeey. Here. I brought rice cakes."
"Aaw. Aren't you sweet. Come in, come in."
Taking a deep breath, Kyungsoo hesitantly crossed the threshold.
"I thought you'd be bringing Kris?"
"Couldn't make it but he wanted me to wish you a happy new year."
"Aw, tell him thanks. Although, it is quite a shame. I would've loved to introduce him to everyone. Preferably as my son in laaaw."
"... I'm gonna  go put the cakes away."

Man was time going backwards or what?
The last hours had been unbearably slow but now with 15 minutes until midnight time was literally standing still. Escaping to the kitchen for the umpteenth time that evening, Kyungsoo opened the box of rice cakes he had brought, stuffing his face with the sweet, slimy treats.  About to eat his fifth, someone entered his hideaway.

"I'm the last person you would want to talk to right now. I know."

Kyungsoo threw the box to the side as he felt his blood boil.
Krystal was standing not 5 steps away from him, dressed in a short black dress.

"Then you should also know that you're dead to me."
"... I know."
"Excellent. If you'll excuse me."
He dried his hands off on his pants before moving to pass Krystal.
"I miss you."

Kyungsoo came to a halt.

"I thought you got yourself a new boyfriend. Timon? Was it?"
"Taemin. And he's not my boyfriend."
"I heard differently."
"We're only dating..."
"Which would mean you're a couple."
"Not necessarily."

Kyungsoo gave her a judging look.

"You're an awful human being."
"Can't we just talk?"
"I have nothing to say to you. You broke my heart! YOU COLDBLODED !"

Kyungsoo took a deep breath, calming himself.

"Feeling better now?"
"...Much."
"How've you been?"
"Hmm. Let's see..."

Kyungsoo in as much air as he could before releasing events from his life in one go.

"AfterYouAbandonedMeBackInCanadaIMadeAListOfThingsIHadToDoThatIncludedSleepingWithHalfTheFemalePopulationHadAFalloutWithMyMomForCallingYouAMovedInWithBaekhyunKissedHimMovedOutBecameHomelessMovedInWithAGuyIMetOnThePlaneBackToSeoulWhoJustHappenedToStudyAtTheSameUniversityAsMeHisNameIsKrisByTheWayThenHelpedTheGuyWithALotOfWeirdCoupleStuffFoundOutMyDadHasBeenDeadFor5YearsMadeUpWithMyMomWhoNowAgreesThatYouAreInFactAMadeUpWithMyFriendsAsWellAllThanksToKrisSleptWithHimButHeJustWantsToStayFriendsI'mDraggedHereByMyMother... " Out of breath Kyungsoo in another breath before continuing.

"And as they say, the rest is history."    

Krystal looked like a big question mark as she stood staring at him.

"But enough about me. How've you been? Awful I hope but terrible, terrible will do."
"You... What happened to you?"
"You did. You happened."
"Kyungsoo..."
"Stop saying my name!"  

It became more and more difficult to keep calm. Kyungsoo tightened his hands into fists almost turning his knuckles white from the pressure.

"I'm sorry."
"Sure you are. And where is Timon by the way? Shouldn't you be all lovey dovey, showing each other off to the world?"

Krystal went to lean against the kitchen counter.

"He couldn't make it."
"Couldn't make it or you didn't invite him?"
"...I needed to talk to you alone."
"Ding, ding, ding! And the honorable prize of worst girlfriend ever goes to Krystal. I'm outta here."

Before Kyungsoo had the chance to leave, Krystal took hold of his shirt.

"Please stay?"
"Make me."

In that moment the clock struck 12.
Familiar, thin lips encased his own before Kyungsoo had the chance to stop them.
He quickly got hold of Krystal, pushing  her away.
Looking into those two deep brown eyes a certain familiarity reappeared, making Kyungsoo lean in again, pressing his lips hard against Krystal's.
Without a word they left his mother's house, flagging down a cab. On the backseat Kyungsoo let his hands run all over the petite frame he used to love. A finger found way up her skirt, slipping past the soft fabric of her and into her heat. She let out a small gasp, encouraging Kyungsoo to push in another finger.
Cupping her , he grabbed onto the dress revealing her small bosom. Leaning down he let his tongue run over her pink , biting the soft tissue.
Before long they reached the camp grounds.
Impatiently Kyungsoo took her hand and set into a run until they reached his apartment. Once inside he stripped her from the last of her clothes, carrying her into his bedroom.

 

-

Kris sat alone in Minseokie's living-room. Everyone else had cleared out to watch the fireworks illuminating the skies.
Kyungsoo should have been here by now, shouldn't he?
Dialing Kyungsoo's number for the seventh time, Kris bit his lip as the well-known pre-recorded message played once again.

'The caller id you are trying to reach is currently unavailable. Please leave a..."

Well it was  new year's eve... there were millions of people making phone calls for their loved ones right now. That's probably why Kyungsoo didn't answer.
Kris opened his text messages, finding Kyungsoo's number.
Rereading his text, Kris pressed send.

 

'Happy New Year Kyungsoo-Yah :D
I hope your mother's party went well and that Krystal didn't give you too hard a time.
If you guys talked then... I have something to tell you.  
Can't wait to see you,
so hurry up and get here will you? (:
//Kris'
  


A/N 

Another long one.
Phew. 

Yeah sorry about this. Well truthfully I'm not sorry because this was fun to write xD 
I felt like the story needed a bigger antagonist/person to hate because I feel like I've written every character kinda ... sympathetic. 

I'm having writers block right now and stuck at chapter 66 but I'll try and conjure something up so I'll be able to post another chapter next week :) 
Thanks for reading! :D 

Uh and also, that little one breath speech by Kyungsoo is totally possible xD I kept adding more to it because it was too easy :p