Lurking

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

 Chapter 22

They finally graduated high school. They had both been accepted into the same college and their parents had together paid for an apartment close to their new school.

Kyungsoo was happy.

The fear of losing her long since forgotten.

 

He was going to live with the girl he loved.

In truth, there was really only thing missing.

 

That summer Kyungsoo got a job at a small café. The owner had taken one look at him and promptly handed him a black apron. Kyungsoo was indeed very handsome. And handsome guys meant good business.

Kyungsoo, determined to spend the rest of his life with Krystal, wanted to save up for an engagement ring. So he took all the hours he could get, unfortunately that meant leaving Krystal on her own. They had already moved into their new place. It was small but homey and they both liked that very much. Krystal would spend her time alone composing music and preparing for college. But she was lonely. She had asked Kyungsoo countless of times why he worked so much, secretly scared that he was getting tired of her. Kyungsoo would respond that they could use the extra money when school began.

Late at night when Kyungsoo would drag his tired body home from work, he'd give her a quick peck on the cheek and go to sleep. That was the routine. They would eat breakfast together.  Kyungsoo would then leave for work at 09:00 AM, sometimes working 14 hour shifts. She would stay home, play the piano, eat alone and go to bed. It was driving her insane. She had been so excited about living with Kyungsoo, seeing him all the time. Now she saw him once a day, usually too  tired or too grumpy to talk. They hadn't done anything remotely ual since their first time, months ago, but she didn't dare ask him to sleep with her.

Kyungsoo on the other hand was pretty content. The shifts were long and his feet hurt but the work was easy and enjoyable. Minseok had been the one to encourage him to apply for a job at the café. Minseok had worked there for two years, following his dream of becoming a chef.

It certainly was a good-looking staff. Jongin, a very handsome tall guy with bronze skin, waited tables along with an attractive, grumpy looking kid. It wasn't that Sehun was grumpy, he just... never smiled.

In the beginning Kyungsoo had been a clutch, dropping more plates than was available, but he was Kyungsoo, quick study and perfectionist. Soon he was a master at balancing plates, taking orders with an eye-blinding smile and pronouncing the names of French wines to a ten. The café was always bustling with people, especially the female kind. After work the guys would usually ask if he wanted to go for a drink but Kyungsoo always declined. He'd much rather hurry home to Krystal, hold her tight while falling asleep to her lemon-scented hair.

   

School finally began but things didn't change much. They would walk to school together, have class together, meet up during lunch but for Krystal that wasn't enough.

Kyungsoo was determined to keep his job, wanting to save up not only for a ring, but also for a future. Their future.

It was difficult balancing a part-time job, school and homework but he managed. At work, Minseok invited him into the kitchen to help when they were short on kitchen staff. And he loved it. Sometimes he would even stay after work to perfect a pastry or a dish, Minseok previously  had taught him.

Krystal, making new friends, helped with her loneliness. Occasionally, they would go out eating and drinking. Just having fun. Among them, there was this guy named Taemin who whenever they were out, kept trying to sit next to her,. She had to admit he was kind of cute.

 

One day at school Krystal had been walking to lunch alone. Kyungsoo and her didn't have all their classes together so they would meet up in the canteen. Kyungsoo was walking with Chanyeol and Baekhyun who, surprise, went to the same college as him, studying music and math, respectively. They had been laughing, as they had entered the crowded cafeteria but the laughter quickly died down as Krystal was spotted hugging another guy. She had looked so happy that Kyungsoo wondered when he'd last seen her smile like that. Baekhyun had grabbed Chanyeol's sleeve, excusing them while awkwardly dragging a protesting Chanyeol towards the men's room.

Krystal hadn't expected the hug. An eager Taemin had come running into the canteen, grabbed her and swung her about. Excitedly, he told her that he had been cast as the main dancer in a local production before hugging her again. Enjoying the close contact, her eyes met with a wide eyed boyfriend. She quickly let go of Taemin, taking a step away from him. Before she knew it, Kyungsoo was by her side grasping her wrist tightly.

"Hey. What do you think you're doing?" Taemin, surprised at Kyungsoo's rather harsh action tried to make him let go of Krystal's wrist.

"Don't. Touch her." Kyungsoo's face was void of any emotion but it was clear from his voice that he was angry.

Taemin scoffed at the implied threat.

"What are you, her boyfriend?"

"Yes."

Taemin let go of Kyungsoo. She had a boyfriend?

 

Kyungsoo dragged Krystal out of the cafeteria, ignoring all the hushed whispers and stares.

Entering an empty classroom, Kyungsoo finally loosened his hold on her. Trying to suppress his anger he breathed deeply through his nose.

"Who is he?" he said as calmly as he could which wasn't calm at all.

"He is just a friend."

"Just a friend?! Well. I'm happy that you've told your friend all about me then. Are you in love with him?"

"Kyungsoo, you're overreacting." Krystal was scared. She had never seen Kyungsoo angry before. He wasn't the type to... care enough to get angry.

"Are you in love with him?!"

"I'm not. I love you," she said defensively. Most of all Krystal wanted to yell at Kyungsoo. She wanted to scream at him for leaving her alone. How she longed for him. Why he never touched her? How nice it had been, being held by Taemin.

But she didn't. Because she knew how fragile Kyungsoo really was. He would take everything to heart and shut her out again.

 Instead, Krystal  hesitantly reached out for him, hugging him close. Reluctant at first, Kyungsoo let himself melt into her embrace.

Of course he knew she loved him and she had made a promise never to leave. But the fear of losing her was once again lurking in the back of his mind.   



A/N

This is kind of 'meh', but here goes.
Thank you for reading and subscribing :D:D It makes my heart all fluffy 8)