Party People

Of Airplanes, Lists and Break-ups

Chapter 29

Unfortunately for Kris, Joonmyun's answer to a fun free period involved going to the library... to study. He had been friends with Joonmyun for about two weeks now and Kris was slowly starting to regret his choice. Sure Joonmyun was... Nice and all but he did not know how to have fun.

Kris sat sulking in a corner while Joonmyun went through the many rows of books, excitedly reading titles out loud. They were suggestions for Kris to read to really get into the Korean spirit. Kris let his head fall against the table with a loud smack of his head. He could've spent this period of freedom outside, enjoying the nice, boiling sun, practiced free shoots or even written more of his poetry. Mark had said he needed to stop doing that but he kept writing in secret. He took a look around at the many books closing in on him. Joonmyun was nowhere to be seen or heard anymore, so Kris thought it'd be safe to look for the comic section. If there even was one.

Ah, there it was. Kris grabbed the first comic he saw with Batman covering the front page. If Kris had to choose a favorite super hero, it would hands down be the Batman. Or Spiderman... It would hands down be one of those two.

"Kris? Where did you go?" Joonmyun's voice was closing in on him and before he knew it Kris had thrown the comic book in the other direction, sort of like a distraction while he ran the other way. Kris hurried away, hiding behind a bookcase. Sighing a breath of relief he slowly came out from his hiding place. The Library had glass walls so Kris could easily see the corridor next to the library. Checking to see if the coast was clear, Kris made for the exit. He only made it two steps before he saw someone come running down the corridor, repeatedly looking over his shoulder.

'Hey, that looks like...' Kris rubbed his eyes hard at the image of Kyungsoo running down the corridor, making his way towards... oh .  Kris made a run for it. He flung his body behind a group of students who were eyeing him suspiciously. From there he crawled on his stomach back to the safety of a bookcase. Calming his breath he sat down clutching his chest. Why was he hiding again? Kyungsoo hadn't even seen him and what on earth was he doing here?!
Kris looked out from behind the a row of books. A horde of people were running in the same direction Kyungsoo had just run. That was weird. Kris knew Kyungsoo was cute but to chase him like that seemed kind of...

"Are they gone?"

Kris knocked his head hard against a row of books, lexicons none the less. Ouch. Kris's hand flew to his skull to rub the sore spot while his eyes landed on the person sitting next to him. There out of breath Kyungsoo sat, drops of sweat sliding down his forehead. Kris mouth went agape as he sat, awaiting Kyungsoo to shake his hair in slow motion while whispering 'Because you're worth it'. When that didn't happen, Kris shook his head at the preposterous thought and the fact that because it didn't happen, made him feel disappointed. 
"Kyungsoo?!"

The man gave him a confused look.

"Hey?"
"Kyungsoo!"

"That's me... Do I know you?"

Kris's face fell a little. Had he really made such a small impression?
"You mean you don't remember?"
"No. Should I?"
"I guess not..."

Kyungsoo burst out laughing at Kris's hurt puppy face. A librarian emerged from the other side shushing them and sending them death threats with her stare. After she left Kyungsoo's laughter had died down, only a small chuckle was he unable to keep inside.

"Come on Kris. How could I ever forget you? And if, God forbid, I ever did I would still have the indents on my right hand to remember you by."

"I said I was sorry!"

"Yeah yeah, Mr. 'IholdmymomshandeverytimeIgoflyingbecauseIamagrownassmanwhoisscaredofeverythingespeciallycarbsandthat'swhyIdecidedtoholdsomestrangershandcrushingtheboneandnotlettinggoanddefinatelynottakingahintwhensaidstrangerisabouttopassoutfromthepain'."
Silence.

"... At least I don't touch myself in public," Kris muttered under his breath.

"I don't do that! You kneed me. Twice! My junk was purple for a week. It looked like a sausage being strangled to death."    

More silence.

Kris didn't really know how to respond to that. He could've apologized, sure but he had already said he was sorry plenty of times. In the end he simply settled for a change of subject.

"So... Why were you being followed?"

Kyungsoo let his head fall back against the books, sighing heavily.

"I've been chosen to play a solo song at the school's 100th anniversary concert. And now, they won't stop bugging me. I mean sure in the beginning it was kinda nice but now it's a freaking pain in the ."

"I bet." Kris nodded to himself.

"... You play music?" It occurred to him that Kyungsoo hadn't told him anything about himself during the plane ride. Nothing too personal.

"Yeah. I'm majoring in music."

"I'm so sorry. I just realized I must've seemed incredibly self absorbed. I was only talking about myself the entire flight wasn't I?

Kyungsoo grinned. Patting Kris on the shoulder.

"Yeah."

Kris's head fell between his knees, grunting. He must've sounded like such a douche. Kyungsoo only snickered at his actions.

"Dude, it's okay. To be honest I prefer leaving the talking to others." Kyungsoo leaned his head out from behind their cover.

"Looks like the coast is clear. Well Kris, it was very nice meeting you again. Let's stay in touch."
Before Kris knew Kyungsoo was gone.

"Crap! Phone number?!" Kris yelled after him. He couldn't help but feel the situation gave him déjà vu.

"Why? You already have it." A confused Joonmyun emerged behind him holding maybe 10 books on Korean history and culture.        

"I've been looking for you everywhere. Anyway, these books are pretty much the basic. There are lots more but these are really the ones you want. Oh and I also slipped in a DVD. Just for fun!"

Kris eyed the stack of books disbelieving.

"Great. Thank you. I'll get right on it."

Joonmyun's genuine smile made it difficult for Kris to slap the man. So he refrained from doing so. Instead he accepted the books, gave him a small bow and left to find a librarian.

 

Ever since school had begun, Kyungsoo had acquired his very own personal group of minions. People who had never talked to him before or even ignored him, had all come up to him, patted his back and said 'you deserved it.' At first he had been oblivious to what he had deserved, his mind choosing not to include Krystal leaving him as an option. However, later he did find out that they were congratulating him on receiving the sought after piano solo at the schools anniversary concert. It had been fun at first to see what they were willing to do for him. It was only after he realized they would do anything, it became boring. Also the fact that the only thing they wouldn't do was leave him the alone. Kyungsoo had been surrounded by groupies constantly at school. Some even following him to work, sitting down, ordering coffee until closing time, just to look at him or engage him in small talks. And yes. Most of them were female. There were a few guys in the bunch but Kyungsoo was pretty sure the mere reason they were doing it was to rub off on Kyungsoo's sudden popularity. It was only in the confines of Baekhyun's shoebox, Kyungsoo could relax a little. Just a little.  Yes, he still stayed at Baekhyun's place, even if he had told his friend it would only be for a  few days but finding a dorm room or an apartment he could afford was pretty much impossible. At least Baekhyun didn't seem to mind and if he did, he wasn't one to voice out his concern.

One day after work and an especially annoying set of customers, for once, Kyungsoo accepted Jongin and Sehun's offer to go for a stiff one. Obviously the both of them were quite surprised. Especially Jongin who playfully nudged Kyungsoo's side.
"What's gotten into you, hyung? Did your girlfriend break up with you or something?"

"Yes." Kyungsoo's face was unreadable compared to Jongin's dumbfounded expression.  Even Sehun's eternal frown was replaced by an apologetic smile.

Jongin flung himself at Kyungsoo, burying the smaller man in his chest while whispering that everything was going to be okay and if he ever needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to he was there for Kyungsoo. Right there. Just a breath away. Kyungsoo was touched. And a little creeped out. He assured them both that everything was fine and that they shouldn't worry about him. If she hadn't ended it, he would've.

Out on the town with Jongin and Sehun was tiresome. Sure Kyungsoo had fun but these kids were very... impatient? They went from place to place never staying for long. They would have maybe one beer or share a bottle of soju before moving on. There wasn't time to talk to new people, it was all about getting to as many places as possible before you got to hammered to, I don't know, go anywhere else? Then there was also the fact that Jongin maybe took a little too much pity on him. Whenever Kyungsoo would crack a joke or attempt being funny, Jongin would always laugh a little too loud, a little too long, a little too forced. Not to forget Jongin was also very touchy. The younger was particular fond of touching Kyungsoo's neck but Kyungsoo was way too drunk to care or even notice.

Soon going out with his colleagues became a routine. Not just after work but pretty much every night.

And every night Kyungsoo would come home, throw himself in Baekhyun's bed smelling of and perfume.