Almost siblings

The Bet

Gui Gui was on her way away from the luggage area in the airport in Chengdu. When she got the area where you could pick to take a cab, or the subway she looked at the crowd who had come to pick up their family. She looked at the sign they were holding. One of them said her name, and she walked to the family. It consisted of a grown up woman, a girl at her own age, and a boy at her age. They smiled at her in a friendly way, and she smiled back.
“Hey… you should be the Yin family?” she said. She didn’t know what else to say. It was a pretty surreal thought that she was going to live in Chengdu for the rest of the school year (at least).
“Yeah, I’m Cyndi…” the girl said and smiled. She was wearing a little makeup, but it was nothing compared to the girls from her old school. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. She looked somehow simple, and satisfied with life.
“I’m Show…” the guy said. He opened his arms, and expected Gui Gui to hug him.
“DON’T get near him, he’s a player!” Cyndi warned him. Gui Gui shrank her shoulders.
“Well, we’re all family… And I’m used to be around players, believe me. All my ex boyfriend’s friends were players…” Gui Gui answered and hugged Show. Cyndi rolled her eyes. The girl that Gui Gui assumed were their mother smiled.
“I’m Jane…” she said and smiled. Gui Gui shook her hand.
“Hi, I’m Even” she said shyly. She wanted them to use her English name; she was tired of being called Ying Jie. It reminded her of Aaron.
“So… You’re Melody’s..?” she asked. Gui Gui smiled.
“Oh, I’m her student…” she said and smiled.
“Her student? Melody is so selfish a child, why would she… What’s your surname?” Jane suddenly asked. Gui Gui felt awkward.
“Wu…” she answered.
“Wu… Is your father named Wu Feng Liang?” Jane asked. Gui Gui nodded. Jane smiled and made eye contact with Cyndi and Show. She thought for a while, and then started talking again. “I used to know him. He made someone pregnant, and said something about calling the child Even…”
“I see…” Gui Gui could see that Jane was lying, but she didn’t want to say anything.

Aaron was sitting in his plane, on the way to Shanghai. He hadn’t met Gui Gui, but he had seen Wang Zi and Xiao Xun, without talking to them, though. It was his first time not flying on first class. He was looking arrogantly at the person who he was sitting next to; a little girl, with pigtails. She was very busy chewing bubblegum and making bubbles with it. Her brother started popping her bubbles. She looked sad, and then cried. Aaron sighed. This was going to be a long trip.
“Xun, sit down and relax. It’s not good for your baby if you stress too much” he heard someone say. Xun? Xiao Xun?
“I know, but you know that I’m bad at relaxing, Yi… And it’s not like my parents will go easy on me when we arrive to Shanghai anyways…” she said. He sighed.
“You know that I’ll take every kind of responsibility for the baby, though it’s not mine. The only problem we have left is money… you can’t work in your condition, and with the work I have we can’t afford the costs of three people. You, the baby and me” he said and smiled. Aaron was about to knock his head into the seat in front of him, but he realized that it wouldn’t work anyways. It was time to do the good deed of the day, and help those who needed his help, just as he had always dreamed to do for the rest of his life.
“Qiu Sheng Yi, Albee Huang!” he said. They turned around. Wang Zi suddenly looked really tense. Albee on the other hand, looked happier than ever. Her stomach was starting to be something people would notice, and in some way it looked like it had matured her. She seemed like she actually really wanted to have the baby, and share the rest of her life with Wang Zi, which was something that no one would ever do. At least not according to Aaron.
“One of my friends owns a company that has an office in Shanghai. It’s called Lu enterprises. Just say that I told you to go there, and you’ll get a good position. Two seconds, I’ll write a paper for you” Aaron said. He found a pen and started writing. ‘Dearest Ting Wei. Please hire my friend, he needs the position a lot, and I’m sure that he’ll do a great job. Warm regards – Aaron Yan’ he wrote at a little paper and handed it to Wang Zi.
“Why are you helping us?” Wang Zi asked. Aaron smirked.
“Because I want to” he answered. Wang Zi looked like he didn’t believe it while Xiao Xun smiled.
“Aww, Aaron, that’s such a nice gesture…” she said and smiled. Aaron smiled back. He couldn’t help it; they were actually a pretty good couple.
“I see… How’s it going with Wu Ying Jie, then?” Wang Zi asked. Aaron sighed. He didn’t want to discuss his ex girlfriend, but he didn’t want to lie either.
“We broke up because she thought I cheated on her which I of course didn’t… And she sort of found out that I originally only dated her because of a bet, so she moved to mainland china and I have to search around in both Beijing and Chengdu for her” Aaron said.
“Wait… you only dated her because of a bet?! How could you, Aaron Yan Ya Lun, how could you?! Do you know how much she loved you?!” Wang Zi asked. Aaron looked embarrassed.
“Could you please keep it down, I have quite a reputation, and I don’t want people to get afraid without reason... But you’re just as bad, Qiu Sheng Yi. You left her for a pregnant woman and it wasn’t even you who got her pregnant.” Aaron said. He found a pair of sunglasses in his bag and started playing with them. He sat down again. What a waste.

Gui Gui was sitting in the little room that she was now going to share with Cyndi. Cyndi was accompanying Jane shopping, while Gui Gui was supposed to unpack her suitcases and then find a job. She was tired, as she hated flying, but she was happy that she was now far away from Aaron. She smiled when his face crossed her mind. Just because she didn’t allow herself to be with him she could still love him. She was completely positive that it would never stop anyways. She looked at the pictures that were hanging next to Cyndi’s mirrors. One of them was of Cyndi and some other girls at their age. Probably Cyndi’s friends. Another one of them was of an old man. Gui Gui was sure that she had seen the picture before, but she didn’t know where. The last one of them was of Jane, Cyndi and Show. Gui Gui smiled, and started missing her family a lot. Maybe they weren’t perfect, but they were still her family. The ironic part was that they had been right all the time. She should’ve stayed away from Aaron from the start. The door opened behind them. In walked Show.
“Who’s that?” Gui Gui asked and pointed at the picture of the old man. Show smiled in a sad way.
“It’s me and Cyndi’s father… We only know his name and what he looks like.” He said in a depressed way.
“Then what is his name?” Gui Gui asked. Show smiled.
“Wu Feng Jiang” he answered.
“It’s funny how our father’s names are similar.” Gui Gui said smiling.
“Yeah… I don’t have his surname, though… I have my mother’s first husband’s surname. They tried to make people think I was his son. Cyndi has her second husband’s surname… Same reason” Show said in a thoughtful way.
“Isn’t it weird not ever having met your father?” she couldn’t help but ask. She simply had to.
“Of course it’s weird, but I’ve gotten used to it… do you know what’s weird?” he asked her. She shook her head. “Talking to you makes me feel just like I’m your brother…”
“Really?” she asked and smiled. She had always wished to have an older brother to protect her, comfort her and take away some of her responsibility. She had always wanted to be allowed to be a kid. He smiled warmly at her.
“So… How was Taipei?” he asked. She laughed a bit.
“Not very different from here… except of the people. When it comes to the people I like Chengdu better” she said and smiled.
“You may change you mind when you start school tomorrow… According to the rumors the most of Cyndi’s class is terrible… But you’ll probably fit in. Anyone pale, skinny person with big eyes and long black hair does” he said and laughed. Cyndi was a little bit tan and had brown hair.
“Really? How boring… At my old school everything was about standing out and hanging out with the right people. In the start I was a geek, ‘cause I was poor, but when I started to date Aaron Yan and then I turned popular… After all the hating stopped” she laughed. Show laughed with her. He really did feel like her brother.