I will

The Bet

When Gui Gui woke up she was in a unfamiliar room that smelled of cleaning products. She was lying in an uncomfortable bed, and heard constant beep-sounds. She could feel that something cold touched her chest, probably to measure her pulse. She could also feel a needle in her wrist.
She suddenly noticed that someone was holding her hand. She didn’t know how such warm, soft hands could exist, nor did she care. She opened her eyes and saw Aaron’s beautiful features. Suddenly all their history didn’t matter. The past had passed, and no one could change it. She suddenly noticed that his eyes were red, and that his cheeks had wet spots on them.
“Aiya, why are you crying, I’m just a little dizzy!” she said. Aaron looked at her like she was a ghost.
“You’re awake? That’s good. I’ll call down the doctor immediately” he said and pushed a red bottom next to her bed.
“Aaron, would you please just tell me what’s wrong?” she asked him and looked at him with her best puppy dog eyes. She wanted to know what was wrong with her. Why wouldn’t he just for once cut the crap and just tell her what everything was about?
“Wu Ying Jie, let the doctor explain it to you. I don’t want to scare you” he said. Scare her? How could anything scare her?
“You’re scaring me now, just so you know…” she said. The scariest thing you could ever tell her was that you didn’t want to scare her. Her mother… Or, her uncle’s wife had always said that when her uncle had been hospitalized. She clearly remembered the first time he had been beat up, because he owed someone from a random casino money.
“The doctor is coming soon, love… He’ll explain everything to you. But first one thing. I was wondering…” – he found something from his pocket – “Wu Ying Jie, will you share the rest of your life with me, as my wife?” he asked. The question took her by surprise.
“Aaron, we’re only seventeen… how can we already get married?” she asked and blushed.
“Isn’t it easy? We can be engaged for a year, and then marry. I serious, Gui. I want us to spend the rest of our lives together” he said and handed her a little box. She opened it to see a huge diamond ring, with really, really perfect details. It was made out of real gold, and if you looked carefully at it, it had her and Aaron’s names on it.
“I will” she said and smiled. He kissed her lightly. The doctor walked in.
“Am I disturbing?” he asked with a smirk on his face. Gui Gui turned really, really red.
“Not at all” Aaron answered him and smiled.
“So, Wu Ying Jie, now to the serious part… We scanned you before you woke up, and we got some not so good results.” The doctor said and looked serious. Gui Gui just looked at him with her extremely big eyes, that had changed from happy to sad in ten seconds.
“We found out that you have leukemia. The good thing is that it can get cured; the bad thing is that you’ll have to go through a strict treatment with chemo therapy, which means that you’ll have to stay here throughout the treatment” the doctor explained. Gui Gui first didn’t want to understand the news she had just got.
“You’ve been sick for a while, which will make it harder to cure you, but we’ll do our best.” The doctor added. Gui Gui suddenly remembered something from biology class.
“So, I guess it’s acute and not chronic? That’s pretty good… At least it can be cured.” She said. She tried to be strong, and not to cry, but she was pretty sure that people could see that her eyes were wet. Aaron held her hand harder.
“Yeah… But I’ll leave you two alone” the doctor said and walked out.
“Shall I call your family?” Aaron asked her.
“No, please don’t. I don’t want them to worry about me. Just tell them that I fainted, but that I’m okay now, and that I left to marry you. Also tell them that I don’t want to see them ever again. I want them to hate me, so they won’t look for me” she said through her new, clean and wet tears. She wondered why life was so unfair. She had just found her real family, and now she risked to die from a disease she didn’t even cause herself. That was what she hated about her life. That was why she thought it . Finally everything was good again, and then something like this happened. She looked Aaron in his teary eyes. She could see that he was as sad as she was. Just when she heard those news she realized she had wasted so much time.

Show was sitting alone on his bed. He was thinking about how his little sister was, so he decided to call her. He found her number in his contacts on his cell phone, and pushed the green bottom.
“Hello?” He heard Aaron say.
“Hello, it’s Show.”
”Why the hell are you, a poor guy who owes me money, calling my fiancée?” Aaron asked him. Show rolled his eyes. He wasn’t in a mood to discuss with an annoying gangster-guy. He just wanted to talk to Gui Gui.
“Because he wants to know if his little sister is alright.” He answered coldly, while he was forcing himself to stay calm.
“Well, you little sister doesn’t want to talk to you. We’re in the airport, and we’re leaving in five minutes, so you can’t catch us. We’re going back to Taiwan, to be together and get married, and there’s nothing you can do about it. She doesn’t want to see you, nor does she want to talk to you.” Aaron answered, just as cold as Show had managed before. Show really, really hated this guy. he didn’t understand how it was possible to be that cold, nor did he understand why his adorable little sister would marry such a jerk.
“Why would she marry you? Not long ago she hated you” Show said. He really, really didn’t understand.
“Because she loves me, of course. I actually thought you were smart enough to figure that out, Mr. Luo. Well, my fiancée is calling my name, bye.”

“Gui Gui, are you okay? Are you hungry? Do you want to drink something?” Aaron asked Gui Gui, after hanging up her cell phone.
“I’m fine… just a little hungry… and tired” she said. He smiled.
“What do you want to eat?” he asked her. He really, really wanted to help. He wanted to take care of her. He wanted to protect her, and be with her forever.
“Anything will do…” she said, smiling.
“Just name a dish, I’ll get it for you for sure” he said. He really, really wanted to do something for her. He had so much to make up for.
“Then… Beef noodles”
“Okay, I’ll get it for you”