The Smart Alecks Are Taking Over

Things That Annoy Me

Okay I’m going to rant a bit here, so you don't have to read it if you don't wish to.

I hate how people think they’re correct and insist that they’re correct even when someone who has a higher knowledge or experience of that particular topic tells them otherwise.

So there’s this word “gwiyeopda” (this is the absolute correct romanisation) –which means cute- and I have this group of friends who insist that it is spelt as “kyeopta” instead. It is not exactly wrong if you count it as a short form when you say it out loud, but if you convert it back to its Korean origins, it has a totally different meaning if not no meaning at all. It’s just like how you say “do you want to eat lunch” as “do you wanna eat lunch” but the word is indeed not in the dictionary.

That being said, I’m not saying that I’m completely against that word since it’s a short form of the original word but they just straight out said that their version is correct and block out every one of my attempts to teach them proper Korean. I tried telling them that it’s wrong but they’re not accepting my explanation and are even against the idea of the actual correct romanisation.

Seriously if they’re so stuck up with their own ideas then why is there a need for proper romanisation? Why don't they just come up with their own language? At that moment, I wanted to punch each and every one of them in the face, with a sledgehammer.

What’s worse, one of them even said the Korean kid in my class doesn't say anything. Hello people, just because he’s not saying anything doesn't mean it’s not wrong. He may be just silently judging those know-it-alls like how I did when a couple of girls were attempting to converse in Korean and acting like it’s all correct when it’s not (like seriously you should’ve seen their faces). And another who said that the internet said it’s correct, so it must be correct. Seriously, if everything on the internet was correct, then he should have every terminal disease there was out there according to self-diagnosis, or that I could calculate the length of his . (Sorry for being vulgar there.)

However, there was one who supported me throughout the argument and bless her for that. She was the only one who said that my version is the genuine correct one because she’s the only one who wanted to learn Korean in there. Which brings me to my next point.

Those people are not even learning Korean for heaven’s sake, and they are definitely not serious about learning the right words. If they’re not serious in learning the language, then why do they even use words of that language? Oh sure it’s fun to add in some Korean words here and there in between conversations, but if it’s done wrongly, it becomes extremely annoying. Now I’m just asking myself: Is it worth it to get mad at them and get wrinkles because of this?

I’m not saying that I’m great at Korean -in fact I only started learning recently- but they should’ve at least listened because what I told them is indeed correct. One thing I’m good at is romanisation, even when I don't understand the words, which is exactly why I’m feeling so pissed off at the moment.

Honest advice: Don't underestimate stupid people in large groups. Because when their sheer number overpowers you, even logical explanations won’t save you.

It’s almost like the case with Luhan’s (Exo) surname. His real surname is Lu, not Xi. Why are people mixing it up? The ‘Xi’ there is actually derived from the ‘ssi’ in the term “Luhan-ssi”, it’s not his surname!!

I’m sorry guise, I just needed to get this off my chest. I really don’t want to offend anyone with this but sometimes it’s the better advice that are harsh in nature. Once again, sorry if I did manage to offend anyone, I don't really think through my words when I’m angry.

 

Also, if you want to ask me about anything else, my Ask.fm account username is immainspiritvip, I don't mind anonymous questions. ;)

If you have any other issues you wanna (<- short form here) bring up, lemme (<- short form there) know in the comments or you can pm me in the messages if you wanna (<- short forms everywhere) have a chapter/topic all to yourself (I’ll credit you!). Ciao!

-vihyun (I changed my username and this will be the last time I’m changing the way I sign off)