Chapter 7

What am I? [Discontinued]

We must let go of the life we planned, so as to accept the one waiting for us.- Joseph Campbell

 

"Haven't seen you in a while." Eunbi heard his deep voice loud and clear. Oh how she dreaded that voice. Ignoring him, Eunbi gathered the books carefully and organised them in a certain way then tucked it in her arms and held it more firmly. "Didn't you hear me? Don't you dare ignore me." Mark's tone turned dark and she could only stare at him blankly. After a few minutes, she finally responded emotionlessly. "I heard you. Just say what you need to say."

"Say what I need to say? Alright then." Mark scanned the area briefly to make sure there were no people around. There were no students around the area-it was safe. Pinning Eunbi to the locker roughly, the look he gave her was leering . "You didn't text me what days you're available. Also, if you weren't aware, I'm cognizant of you avoiding me. Why?" His voice was low and hushed. Even if nobody was around to witness the scene, he couldn't risk being heard. Mark had a reputation that he didn't want to ruin. Eunbi drew in a sharp breath. Was she afraid? No. Was he hurting her? Yes.

"Can you loosen your grip a little bit? You're going to give me bruises." Her response and bluntness took him by surprise. This is her response in a situation such as this? "I don't care if you get bruises after this. That doesn't concern me." It's true. Mark only cared about himself and his best friends. Yes, that means he doesn't even give a damn about his parents. "Gee. Egocentric much? Unlike certain people I have a life and I have other priorities. You received no messages because I haven't found a time or day yet. Isn't that obvious? The reason why I'm avoiding you is because I shouldn't even be seen with you. Especially after yesterday's events. Now release me."

Even though Eunbi sternly told him to release her, Mark gave no signs of letting go. There were no words. Silence carried on and the only sounds that could be heard was their own breathing. Eunbi's arms were growing weaker with each second that passed. Mark's hostile grasp on her arms in addition to the weight of the books was making her arm weak. Her firm grip on the books gradually loosened up until she could no longer hold the books. Despite the clattering sound of the books, Mark said nothing and only continued to stare at the girl with narrowed eyes.

Why was he staring at her like that? Why did her response matter to him so much? The confused girl just didn't understand. Inside her heart she didn't know how she was supposed to feel. Her emotions were so muddled up.  Confusion, anger, anxiety...Eunbi just wanted to leave. Just what is Mark thinking? Either way, it isn't any of her business in the first place, is it? "I'm going to say this one last time- let me go." Her face gave nothing away as she stared at the male standing in front of her. Still no response.  "Really..." she murmured quietly to herself. Eunbi really did not want to resort to this. In fact, she tried so hard to resist the urge of taking action in the first place. All of a sudden, Mark felt a sudden pain on his stomach. It was so unexpected that he couldn't help but release Eunbi and stagger back while clutching his stomach then falling to his knees.

"What was that for?!" He groaned, biting his lower lip with his eyes closed. "What do you think? I asked you to let me go nicely; you didn't listen. Then I told you two more times. Still, you didn't listen. What was I meant to do? I'm not going to be standing there forever. I'm sure you realise that. I already told you the other day- I'll text you the time and day I can fit it into my schedule. I haven't had the time to look through my diary yet." Eunbi replied. Clearly, she's displeased. "Well hurry it up. I haven't got all the time in the world. I have other priorities than just you. Higher, much more significant priorities in fact." Finally managing to get up, Mark dusted his pants off. "Oh, is that so? Well so do I. I also have other things to worry about. Other things to do. The world doesn't revolve around you, Mark. If you have other higher, significant, and urgent matters and priorities to attend, then why did you bother wasting your time asking me a question only to just stand there and not listen to my answer? Staring into space? Did you ever think about that? Ignoring me just like you always do. You could have ignored me and texted me later on. After all, you supposedly charmed the receptionist to get my contact information. Staring into space... that isn't like you." Eunbi snapped back.

Mark turned quiet. He was speechless. Everything she said... every point she made is true. He had nothing to say. 

"What? Cat got your tongue? I'm right, aren't I? I perceive you as arrogant, conceited, annoying, frustrating, vile, and a disrespectful snobby jerk.  You know that you should have known better. Think before taking action. You're the type to allow emotions get the better of you. Even so, spacing out in front of an argument is out of your character. I'll see you later. Better yet, fortunately I won't be seeing you for a while. I'm going to leave first."  With that, Eunbi collected her books once more before turning and walking away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried to do a long chapter. Really. I'm serious. It took me a month to update because I'm on writer's block. A big one. I seriously had no ideas and I'm sorry about that. Of course this isn't a long chapter...but what can I do? I'm not that creative at the moment. This was a kind of random chapter...so... yeah. Actually, I was working on this chapter two days ago. Unsurprisingly, I only came up with 4 paragraphs. Each day I tried to elaborate and expand them but to no avail. I'm really sad about that.  But let's drift away from the negative side for a minute...

OH MY GOODNESS! 136 SUBSCRIBERS! I'm in tears. Tears of joy and gratitude. I want to thank all my readers for subscribing even though I don't write so well compared to other authors out there. I love you all for subscribing. Really, I do.