CHAPTER 9

What am I? [Discontinued]

After the long wait, here it is. I worked on this for 3 days ahaha. I really do apologise for the lateness. Tell me what you think?

-----------------------------

Days had passed since that incident and Eunbi hadn't heard a word from Mark since then. Was he perhaps busy? Did he forget about the whole maid deal already? One wouldn't really care, but to Eunbi, it just felt odd.  Sighing, she ruffled her hair as she scrolled through her contact list and pressed the name of the person that could be her only source of information. "Hey, I know this is a strange question coming from me. But have you seen Mark around? Or even heard from him at all? It's weird to not hear his irritating voice..." She said as soon as the person on the other line picked up.

"You call me to ask about the whereabouts of another man? Seriously, Eunbi? How cruel. However to answer your question, the answer is no. Sure, I'm his best friend but even I don't know where he's been lately. He hasn't called me or anything. The rest of the guys have tried as well but still nothing. Why? We don't know. Though I'm placing my bet on the reason being really personal. That type of stuff... he doesn't talk to us about it at all. Surely, he'll call us back when he's better. I'll keep you in the loop okay?" 

"Hmm... alright then. Thanks Jackson." Eunbi replied, getting ready to hang up the call. "WAIT!" he shouted and Eunbi almost dropped the phone from shock. "W-What??" she asked while trying to recover from the startling moment. "Uh... I just wanted to ask if you calling me like this... does that mean you trust me a bit more?" Eunbi almost chuckled at the question. "I'm not so sure myself, Mr.Wang. I suppose that is one way of putting it though. Believe what you will and... good night. Sleep well." Without realising it, she was smiling. "Huh? Oh, yeah... night. You too." With that said, the call ended.

Quite frankly, Eunbi felt like she had mixed feelings about the situation. Sure, she found it weird that Mark just mysteriously disappeared. On the other hand, she knew that instead of pondering about him, shouldn't she be happy about it? So Mark's friends knew him better than she ever would. That's if she wanted to get to know Mark. Not that she wanted to. " They know him better than me. From the looks of it, Jackson is actually his best friend so I'll have to take his word for it." She muttered, sighing and closing her eyes as she placed her phone on the bedside table. Just how bad are Mark's problems? Are they so terrible that he can't even talk about it to his friends? Ugh... I'm overthinking it. His personal life is none of my concern to begin with anyway.

The next morning, Eunbi woke up earlier than usual with her clothing ready for the day. She was actually bothered to prepare her clothes the previous night. It's amazing how boredom can affect a person so much. It was Saturday and she had plans with Jackson. Sighing, Eunbi stretched and got ready for the day; wearing her prepared clothes and working on her hair for quite a while. She didn't really want to impress him or anything. But a girl has to look great when going out, right? Pursing her lips, she decided to plait her hair and tie it into a bun. Satisfied with her appearance, she gave herself a nod of approval then stuck a post-it note that briefly stated where she would be on her door while making her way out.

By the time she arrived at the station, she noticed Jackson immediately who seemed to be unusually energetic and excited as he was jumping up and down a little bit every now and then as she approached him. That or he was trying to warm himself up which he obviously seemed to be failing at. Tapping his shoulder, Eunbi bit her lip and took a step back as he turned around. "Oh, you're here." he blinked, taking in her appearance as he scanned her from top to bottom. "Mhm. Have you been waiting long?" She asked warily. "Uh...no. Not at all. In fact, I just got here about 10 minutes ago..." He nodded. "Ah." One of Eunbi's weaknesses was keeping conversations going with an acquaintance. "You uh... you look um... you look nice." Jackson commented after a moment of silence. "Huh? Oh, yeah. Y-You too... you look nice too." She replied shortly. "..." Silence. Gosh this is awkward. Maybe I shouldn't have agreed after all?

1 WEEK AGO

Last period just ended and Eunbi was so preoccupied with packing her belongings that she didn't notice a person standing right next to her locker. However, she did notice him once she shut her locker. "Oh my-! Damn it, Jackson. Can you at least tell me that you're standing there so I actually know that you're there?" She rubbed her temples after putting her bag back on. "Sorry. I just thought that you'd notice on your own. A normal human being would able to notice another person's presence after 4-5 minutes at maximum." He replied with a shrug. In response, Eunbi gave him a "Are you kidding me?" look which Jackson just shrug off. "Anyway, I've been doing some thinking. Do you want to go to the amusement park with me next Saturday? As a friendly outing of course. Nothing more, nothing less. It'll take some stress off our minds. I mean, it doesn't hurt to have some time off every once in a while, right?" He asked with a small smile. "Is it just going to be the two of us?" She looked at him skeptically. "Yeah. We can bond a little bit, you know? I mean really, I'm not that bad of a person. I swear." He raised his hands. Eunbi crossed her arms and thought for a moment. "Well..."

PRESENTLY

Obviously, she agreed. She had no idea it would be this awkward though. The silence continued as the pair bought their train tickets and waited on for the train before boarding as soon as it arrived. Once they were in their seats, Eunbi noticed that Jackson couldn't stop fidgeting. She was fully aware about what type of person Jackson is. A very talkative person and obviously he had the urge to say something. Anything to break the silence. Exhaling quietly, Eunbi knew that she had to take the initiative. But what could they possibly talk about? She only knew of one thing. One of the topics that she would normally avoid talking about.

"So, have you heard anything from him?" She asked, cutting the awkward atmosphere. Finally, Jackson looked up at her. "Huh? Who?" He asked quite densely. "Your friend. The person I dislike. Tuan Mark." she said in an almost 'duh' type of tone. "O-Oh of course. Silly me." He chuckled embarrassingly. "-No, I haven't. Nothing from the guys either. Like I said last night, it's probably a personal problem. He'll come around. He always does." He said assuringly. "Has it always been like this?" She asked curiously. "Like what? His attitude?" "Yeah, his attitude. How long have you two known each other?" That seemed to be the right topic to bring up as Jackson smiled wistfully. By the looks of it, the story would probably take the rest of the ride.

"Mark and I have known each other since we were kids. As in 'Daddy! He stole my toy!' kind of kids." He laughed at his own example while Eunbi smiled slightly. "Anyway, Mark hasn't always been so cold and distant. As a child he was like the perfect mate. We would have our own hide out, share toys, read books together, watch disney movies and all that. His mum was the most genuine person I've met. I still remember this one time when I told him "I want to be your brother. I want my mum to be like yours." And he laughed and said "But you're already my brother! Okay, my mum can be your mum too! Your mum can be my mum too!" Sounds ridiculous, right? But that's how it was. We told our mothers and they were more than happy since they already thought of us that way.

We were in Kindergarten when he changed somehow. For the first few months everything was normal. But then I noticed that after quite some time, his dad was the only person who always came to pick him up. Then some time after that, some other woman would pick him up. He didn't talk to them... I found it odd since he and his dad always seemed to be close. Ever since then I haven't seen his mother at all. As a child, you know there isn't much you can do. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and didn't question him about it. A year after that is when the rest of the guys came into the picture. He opened up to them and we've all been pretty close since then. It wasn't until high school that I decided to ask him about it. But every time I tried, he'd change the topic. One day, he disappeared just like now. I happened to find him working at a cafe by chance one day. It was then that I realised being open about his personal problems will never happen. That's pretty much all there is to it." By the time Jackson had finished his story, the train had arrived at their destination and the duo hurriedly got off the train.

"I see the two of you have quite a history then. Do you think he's doing that now?" Eunbi asked once more as they walked towards the entrance of the amusement park. "Probably not. Chances are pretty low if you ask me. I would have found him by now. I think it's more personal this time." Jackson's answers were straightforward and short. Nodding, Eunbi paid for her entrance ticket along with him. As they entered, Eunbi looked around in awe. "Woah..." She commented, looking around. "What do you mean 'woah'? You're acting like you've never been to an amusement park before." Jackson raised a brow at her. Shooting a glare in his direction, she huffed. "That's because I haven't, genius." 

This was Jackson's only chance then. The golden opportunity. "Then if you haven't been to one, be prepared to have the time of your life with the only Wang Jackson. Me. Amusement parks are the best. One of the many places where you can forget your worries and just focus on having fun." He nodded. Eunbi looked at him doubtfully. "Really? Well, I place myself in your care in that case." She puffed her cheeks. 'Cute...' Jackson thought for a moment before shaking his head quickly so she wouldn't notice. 'Wait. What am I thinking? GET A GRIP, MAN.' "Are you alright?" Her voice snapped him out of his thoughts as he laughed nervously. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Anyway, the first place we must go to is... the bumper cars." "Bumper cars?" "Yeah. I'll show you. We'll have to find one first though." 

It took a while for them to actually find the attraction. Though it paid off once they bought their tokens and got on the ride. Once...twice... their car got bumped into. Frankly, Eunbi's neck was sore by the time they got off. "They bumped into us pretty hard." she groaned, rubbing her neck in the process.Jackson only laughed in response. "Next is the rollercoaster..." 

'This is going to be one long day...' Eunbi thought exasperatingly as she followed Jackson around the park.