Let Out The Beast

Baby It's A Wild World

 

"When the lighting illuminates me

don't miss any of my gazes"

 

C H A P T E R 8: LET OUT THE BEAST


 

The plants in his text book have ridiculous names and the pictures never do real life justice. Kyungsoo sighs and scribbles down some more notes on how photosynthesis works. He’s only half awake and not really in the mood for class, especially one as boring as Botany.

While Kyungsoo normally has an affinity towards nature (being as he is part forest nymph and all) the science and biology of it is seriously boring. Looking out the window next to him, the trees are waving softly in the wind. The weather is always nice here at the campus, which Kyungsoo is starting to believe supernatural reasons are behind it.

Unfortunately the students are all separated this time around so the shorter boy can’t distract himself with the antics of Lay and Luhan who with a quick glance seem to be in the same position as Kyungsoo. Lay looks like he’s mastered the art of sleeping with his eyes open and Luhan’s head keeps nodding off and in danger of slamming into his desk anytime soon.

The short boy holds back a chuckle and refocuses on his work. His life is still a bit messy however, he hasn’t spoken a word to Chanyeol in a couple days and the dancer boy is still a big mystery, a mystery that lives next door that is.

Luckily Kyungsoo is feeling a bit bold today and plans to bring an end to the silent treatment he’s been getting from the older, even going as far as to stalk his door until they’re forced to confront if he has too.

Once the class ends Kyungsoo is the first one out the door, the teacher gave them some field homework to do and he’s contemplating revisiting the magical spot he went to the other day. While it was brief it’s certainly stuck with him for a long time. Maybe he’ll see that green eyed boy in the waters reflection again.

----

The branches crack and bend underneath his feet, its pitch black outside save from the harsh glow of the moon. Kyungsoo is barefoot and feels the leaves split under his toes, dirt sticking onto his heels.

There’s a sense of urgency in the air, the wind is picking up slicing through the trees surrounding the shorter boy. He doesn’t know where he is.

A loud and continuous whine breaks the silence not too far from him, the unmistakable sound of a howl.

Kyungsoo gulps and feels the sweat begin to pile on his back, his body feels heavy.

The howl sounds again and this time it’s accompanied by a crack of thunder. The wind is harsh and fierce and it’s making it impossible for him to see anything.

The sound of a heartbeat rings loud and clear, Kyungsoo feels his lungs go ice cold. He doesn’t understand why but he’s terrified of the howling.

His legs have trouble moving on their own and he falls to his knees, beginning to use his hands to try and crawl forward.

Leaves are rustling and the ground his crunching near him, the howl is sounding closer and closer and-

Kyungsoo wakes up with a gasp, a loose stack of papers going flying from his desk and one sticking to his face.

He looks around wildly and realizes he’s in his dorm room.

In front of him lies an open book chock full of math equations and messily scribbled notes. He had fallen asleep doing homework.

Kyungsoo groans and brings his head back to the desk, he tries and tries to remember what he dreamed about that shocked him awake but nothing is coming up. Brain wiped clean of whatever nightmare he had just experience. But then again maybe it was for the best, who would want to remember a nightmare anyway.

Glancing towards his nightstand clock the red numbers 11:00pm blink back at him. It’s way past the schools curfew but there’s no way Kyungsoo can go back to sleep and comes to the conclusion that a nightly walk to refresh him will do him some good.

He was never much of a night owl before, so it’s a bit confusing as to why he’s suddenly taken up the habit of wandering the campus after dark. Maybe there’s something about the eerie supernatural glow the forest has that draws him in.

Throwing on a beanie the shorter boy shuffles out his room wincing slightly when a loud creek signals through the halls. The door squeaks as he closes is too and it almost makes Kyungsoo give up his getaway plans but he decides he’s already committed.

Like the other day he scouts the area and makes sure it’s empty before silently weaseling his way out the building. He’s about a block away when he spots a campus cop patrolling the area, muffling a curse Kyungsoo quickly dashes into a secluded pathway. Because of his nervousness of getting caught he doesn’t realize just how far away from the buildings he’s getting.

For a startling second he’s almost afraid he’s gotten lost, as he’s entered a rather thick area of trees, but there’s something about the worn dirt path underneath him that’s familiar.

In fact, looking at the trees it suddenly comes to mind.

This is where the crack is at!

Feeling a rush of surprise but also of motivation, the shorter boy settles on revisiting the clearing. It’s a bit tricky without help from Lay or Luhan but he has a faint idea of where to go and that’s enough to push him in the right direction.

Every step he takes feels a bit more familiar until he’s reached the undeniable force of the shield. Happy he’s found it Kyungsoo allowed himself a brief moment of contempt before cautiously entering the clearing.

It should be extremely dark right now, with the absence of lamp posts but the moon is higher and fuller than Kyungsoo’s ever seen it and its illuminate everything as if it was mimicking the sun.

As he enters he’s engulfed with the aura of the trees and nature once more. Everything is clear and beautiful, the trees seem to bend and bow as he walks past. Every little grass blade even looks happy to see him.

Unable to hold back a laugh Kyungsoo lets his body drop onto his back, the grass grows around him rapidly and pokes out of the gaps in his body. Bewildered Kyungsoo looks at it amazed and runs his fingers through it. Did he do that?

Spotting a patch of flowers nearby him, he focuses on them and experimentally brings out a hand. Part of him wants to think its silly, what does he expect to happen? But another part has a gut feeling that something magical will.

Before he can really prove anything the undeniable sound of a twig snapping breaks through the clearing.

Kyungsoo rapidly sits up and looks towards the direction of the noise completely startled.

There’s nothing but pitch black however as a row of trees crowd the area.

Feeling his nervousness begin to raise Kyungsoo gets on his feet, mind swirling with scenarios from all the horror movies he’s ever seen.

Shakily he calls out but no one answers.

Feeling more freaked out by the second the doe eyed boy begins to hastily make a retreat, the joy and wonder he once had completely wiped from his mind.

Another branch breaks closer this time and Kyungsoo yells out in surprise when he looks and sees a familiar pair of glowing gold eyes peering at him from the dark.

The fear has spread throughout his whole body now and he fails to notice the way the trees have begun to shake violently or the darkening of the flowers. Instead, he makes a split second decision.

He starts to run.

As soon as he’s gone a few meters he hears the telltale sounds of someone chasing him, Kyungsoo feels his body numb with fear and can’t bring himself to look back, his brain is going haywire.

His lungs are on fire and as he’s taking a step one of his legs fails him and he goes tumbling towards the dirt ground. The impact is harsh and knocks the air from his lungs.

Kyungsoo is gasping and wheezing for breath and he notices whatever is chasing him hasn’t stopped. He can’t make out what it is all he sees is those terrifying eyes getting closer and closer.

He lets out a scream and closes his eyes bracing for the worst.

A rush of heat passes through him blindingly and even with eyes closed he sees nothing but red.

Frazzled the nymph boy opens his eyes and is greeted with a roaring wave of fire and a figure in front of him.

Laying there with his pain numbed by adrenalin he can only stare in wonder as the fire surrounds him. Eyes stinging because of the flames Kyungsoo has trouble seeing but the figure in front of him is definitely human.

He has his arms spread out to his sides and his back is facing Kyungsoo, the gesture almost seems like he’s…protecting him?

The doe eyed boy stares with wide eyes but strangely feels no fear from the stranger, in fact he feels familiar.

The flames begin to die down and Kyungsoo’s vision improves, it seems the glowing eyes are gone and it’s just him and the person.

“Are you okay?” A deep voice asks, resonating through the younger males head like an echo. No way, that voice can only belong to one person.

“Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo responds, feeling his voice go out on the last part.

The figure drops his arms and turns his body, the same dopey ears and wavy hair but there is something very different about him.

Chanyeols eyes have taken on a startling yellow and red ringed look and his face seems harshly defined from the glow and light from the fire, shadows dancing gracefully on his face and angling his appearance.

He approaches Kyungsoo cautiously and slowly, as if scared he would get a negative reaction. But the shorter is shaken up by the whole experience he’s just glad he’s not alone anymore.

Feeling overwhelmed with everything he doesn’t even notice tears are falling from his eyes until a droplet lands on a hand he placed over his injured side.

As if seeing him crying broke a spell Chanyeol quickly runs to his side and engulfs him in a hug, gentle enough to avoid hurting him but rapid enough for Kyungsoo to cling back as well, burying his face into the taller boys neck.

The heat isn’t painful this time; in fact, it feels more like he’s being engulfed in a cozy blanket than anything. Chanyeol pulls away softly and brings his fingers to wipe at Kyungsoo’s tears, the shorter boy sniffles a few times.

“How is it that even though you’re crying you’re still so beautiful?” Chanyeol whispers softly, fingers Kyungsoo’s cheek. The younger boy just smiles and lets out a breathless laugh.

The taller smiles back and gently picks up Kyungsoo despite the shorter boys surprise and embarrassment.

Swallowing his pride for a moment Kyungsoo lets himself sink into the others hold and wraps his arms loosely around Chanyeols neck, breathing in his unique scent that reminds him of childhood bonfires and chasing fireflies.

 


A U T H O R S N O T E

twitter / tumblr

So sorry for the late update!! I was a bit busy this past week so I tried to make it up with an extra jam packed chapter! Also sorry for the cliffhanger but i needed some more levarage to write the next chapter with <:

Thanks for commenting/subbing/upvoting

Edit: Also! I went back and added an extra part to chapter 4 during the "crack" part to describe the scene in more detal, so incase you missed the story feed announcement please go check it out! (: