Lucky

Baby It's A Wild World

 

"I can call your name and I can hold your hand
Is the falling sunlight only shining on me? Can I be this happy?"

 

C H A P T E R 4: LUCKY


Out of all the things that could’ve gone wrong on someone’s first day in a new school, waking up late is probably high on the list.

The younger didn’t anticipate he would be as tired as he was from the previous day’s events and practically jumped out of bed when he realized he had forgotten to set an alarm. The younger boy also discovered that there was no shower present in his small bathroom and he would have to use the community shower room down the hall.

Packing all his supplies at the speed of light Kyungsoo hurried into the mens bath room and was happy to discover he was the only one there. While he had frequented the public bathhouse other times with his father, the short boy still got self-conscious when in front of others. He quickly went into an empty stall and pulled the curtain closed; he shampooed and washed his body quickly before stepping out into the steaming room and jogging back to his dorm. There he carefully put on the schools uniform which surprisingly fit him pretty well, how the headmaster knew his size Kyungsoo thinks he’ll never know.

After spending another few minutes brushing his teeth and fixing his hair the boy strapped on his backpack and left the room, speed walking towards the direction of his first class. His speedy dressing saved him some time and after checking the time on his phone he knew he wouldn’t be more than 10 minutes late.

His dorm building is fairly small and only consists of 5 floors. The first floor is half a recreation room and half a kitchen. The other ones are just dorms rooms, there might also be something on the rooftop but Kyungsoo’s not quite sure.

After exiting the building Kyungsoo begins walking towards the mathematics and science building, there’s students all around him, much more than he saw yesterday. Some are hurriedly walking like him and others are relaxing on the patches of grass in between buildings. He’s in such a hurry he fails to notice all the looks and double takes the other students give him.

After finally reaching the building Kyungsoo chooses to take the stairs instead of the elevator and goes to his correct floor faster, making a bee line towards his class. He stops outside the door to take a few breaths thinking about what excuse he could use to explain his tardiness. After suppressing his anxiety the short boy opens the door.

It’s….empty? Well, not exactly, there’s about three kids total, two are asleep and one looks like he’s about to join them. There’s no sign of a teacher and for a split second Kyungsoo thinks he’s entered the wrong classroom but after checking the door number and comparing it to his schedule there’s no way he’s in the wrong place.

His gaze stumbles onto a clock. He has 10 minutes before class starts.

The younger boy feels his eye twitch as he reaches for his phone, pulling it out to read the time. Yup his is ahead. He had forgotten to factor that his phone is set to the time in Seoul, and wherever he was right now was definitely not Seoul.

Too caught up in his own misery of thinking he was going to be late he didn’t notice when a familiar white haired blob came up to him. Two hands wrapped around his shoulders and pulled him into a back hug of sorts. Kyungsoo let out a yelp and struggled in his captive’s arms, turning around to face them head on. It was a total stranger; he was lanky and tall with silvery hair that looks like it came out of a manga.

Kyungsoo could only let out a flustered, “Huh?!” before the other boy pulled away and smirked at him.

“Kyungsoo! I didn’t think I’d see you again, looks like we have the same class.”

Wait a minute that voice was oddly familiar. The shorter boy eyed the other curiously; there was something about his white hair that sparked some recognition on Kyungsoo’s part.

No, it couldn’t be. “Sehun?” He half whispered still not convinced it was actually him. But the other boy only nodded and dragged the shorter to a seat placing him in it before taking the one next to it.

Kyungsoo sputtered and almost began to ask how before Chanyeol’s words from the previous day floated in his mind. Oh, that’s right, everyone looks human here. His eyes wandered to the other students in his classroom, where any of them weird creatures as well? Suddenly he made eye contact with one of the students he thought was sleeping, the boy had snake like eyes and deep eye circles. His gaze was so heavy that is seemed to pierce right through him.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened on their own accord and he looked away immediately. His heart was shaking in his chest and his face was getting hotter by the second. There was something about the way the other looked at him, like he could see right through him that made Kyungsoo panic. Distracted by his racing heart he unknowingly drowned out Sehuns chattering until the younger boy finally noticed and waved a hand in front of him.

“Yooo, you okay there?” Sehun asked with mild curiosity watching his hyungs strange antics with some amusement. Kyungsoo managed a shaky nod and a “I’m fine.” He even gathered some courage to take a quick peak towards the strange boy again but the other had laid his head down on the desk, according to his eye circles Kyungsoo didn’t blame him that sleep was his top priority.

Before long the classroom began to get filled up with students. They all took their seats without even a glance at Kyungsoo’s direction, all too caught up in their own lives to even notice the new student. Finally when the teacher entered (a frail looking old man with glasses that belonged in the fifties) he began to write on the board and called the class’s attention.

“We have a new student joining us today; can a Mr. Do Kyungsoo please introduce himself?”  The teacher caught eyes with Kyungsoo and beckoned him to stand up.

Kyungsoo felt his stomach drop and noticed immediately when all eyes went to him as he stood up. He gave a polite bow and looked towards the floor, talking to the wood instead. “Hello everyone, I’m Kyungsoo, please take care of me.”

The short boy quickly sat down after his introduction and glanced towards Sehun who gave him a supporting smile and a thumbs up. Kyungsoo felt himself smile, some of his anxiety leaving his body. The students kept staring at him however some even leaned towards their friends and whispered in each other’s ears. Finally the teacher sensed the distracted atmosphere and cleared his throat, when that didn’t work he took his more desperate measures.

“Pop Quiz!”

The groans resonated throughout the classroom; Sehun banged his head into his desk from the corner of Kyungsoo’s eye.

____

Botany was definitely something new to Kyungsoo. Even though Sehun had insisted on walking him the taller boy had accidentally let it slip that his class was in the opposite direction of Kyungsoo’s and the shorter boy couldn’t let his only friend so far be late because of him.

So after they went their separate ways Kyungsoo went towards his next class. The class room was much different than his math class, it almost looked like greenhouse. With a wide window surrounding the walls and plants hanging and growing off every edge. The teacher once again made him introduce himself to his class and after an embarrassing cat call he was paired up with two other students for an outdoor assignment.

“It’s a good day for you to come today.” Said one of his teammates, his accent was noticeable and Kyungsoo had trouble understanding him. The short boy quirked his head sideways and tried to decipher the others message. Fortunately his other teammate sensed his confusion and chuckled.

“What Lay means is that it’s not every day that we have class outside. So you’re lucky we had it on your first day.” Luhan spoke; Kyungsoo remembered his name from when the teacher took attendance. His accent wasn’t as noticeable and he spoke much more clearly than the other boy.

Lay simply nodded, his mouth forming into a dimpled smile the Kyungoo couldn’t help but find charming. They were wandering a section close the school grounds that looked more like a small park. Their assignment had been to take notes of the various plant life around the area and write down any observations.

Kyungsoo lagged a bit behind his other classmates and scratched his head with the tip of his pen before bringing it to his notebook and scrambling some notes down. Lay and Luhan began speaking in what sounded like Chinese, their movement’s where animated and Luhan seemed to be pointing somewhere.

Kyungsoo didn’t want to be nosy and averted his gaze, choosing to doodle a picture of one of the nearby ivy vines instead. He wasn’t an artist by any means but he enjoyed it none the less.

“Kyungsoo right?” Luhan asked turning back to look at him, Luhan was exceptionally pretty for a male, so much that Kyungsoo wondered if he was a nymph too. The shorter boy nodded at his question.

“There’s supposed to be a crack up ahead, would you mind if we go for a bit?”

To anybody else why someone would want to go see a crack wouldn’t have made any sense but luckily Chanyeol mentioned some of the schools slang briefly and Kyungsoo couldn’t have been more grateful. According to the taller boy a ‘crack’ was an area in the campus where the humanizing spell didn’t have an effect. No one really knew why but they presumed it had to do with the land itself, which already held magic and was too strong for the spell.

The other two beamed and each took one of Kyungsoo’s hands bringing him along with them happily. The shorter boy blushed at their contact but went along with it, some of their excitement began to seep into Kyungsoo as well because before long they were all laughing and half running towards the crack.

In the next few seconds, Kyungsoo witnessed something magical.

They stopped in front of a large clearing overlooking a small pond, there was something very different about the place you could feel it from where they were at. Lay let go of his hand and began to quickly run into the clearing, Luhan following close behind him while Kyungsoo chose to stay in his spot, a little too wonder struck to move.

In almost the blink of an eye as Lay entered the clearing a gorgeous white horse appeared and continued to run. It wasn’t just any regular horse however, on its forehead spiked a large twirled horn. Kyungsoo gasped. Lay was a unicorn?

Too caught up in witnessing a freaking unicorn before his eyes he almost missed Luhan’s transformation. As his body crossed through the line his body took on a similar shape to that of Lays except much smaller and daintier. He became a pretty deer with small ivory white horns, both of the hoofed creatures began to run together and circle one another.

Finally, Lay seemed to of noticed Kyungsoo just gaping at them and with one of his hooves he patted the ground, welcoming the shorter boy to join them.

Nervously Kyungsoo took a step forward, as he crossed the line where the spell ended he could feel the sheer force of magic itself go through him. As he fully entered it was like a weight was lifted. Suddenly the sheer beauty of everything seemed to multiply. The pond was gorgeous and reflected the light, every little plant and every tree seemed more vibrant and larger than he’d ever imagined. It was as if he had stepped into a magical forest they read to you about as kids.

He felt incredibly happy.

With a laugh he began running towards his new found friends, as his feet touched and left the ground tiny flowers began to grow there, their small closed buds escaping the foliage getting that extra push to bloom.

Even tee trees seemed to sway more as if trying to face his direction and follow him. Everything was magnificent.

The younger male approached the pond curiously; absorbed in the beauty of it and the way the water looks so clear and peaceful, as he stood next to its edge and looked down a curious being stared back at him, slightly distorted by the ripples across the surface.

Shocked, Kyungsoo got closer, even going onto his knees, the figure looked like…him. A pair of glowing green eyes stared back at him and there was almost an indescribable aura surrounding him. His facial features where the same but his ears took on a pointy tip. He looked beautiful, his skin was pearly and lacked any blemishes his lips took on a pinked hue and his hair looked softer and fuller than ever.

Kyungsoo felt his mouth drop open, was this really what he looked like? Reaching down he grazed a finger though the ponds water and his reflection quickly disappeared, still feeling overwhelmed the shorter boy turned back towards the two others with him and noticed they had stopped running and where looking at him curiously.

Luhan approached him and playfully nudged his side with one of his antlers; Kyungsoo let out a chuckle and ran his fingers through the deer’s soft fur admiring how beautiful the creature was. Not knowing Luhan was having the same reaction about him.

He wasn’t sure how long he spent with Lay and Luhan running around the field like elementary students but he knew right away that it was probably the most fun he’s had in a long while. Unfortunately all things must come to an end and they had to end their playtime short once it was time to report back to the teacher, luckily Kyungsoo had enough sense to do some work beforehand that way at least he could back up his empty-handed teammates.

As they left the crack and began walking back to the classroom it was as if they were best of friends. Kyungsoo had never felt so comfortable around strangers but these two proved him wrong. Then again, they were far from strangers now as they had seen Kyungsoo’s secret.

Surprisingly they didn’t ask him about what he was as they left, but something in the glint in Lay’s eyes told Kyungsoo that the two already knew from far before the crack.

After Luhan and Lay both hugged him goodbye and made him promise that they would do that again Kyungsoo was done for the day. He went back to his dorm and finished the homework he had been assigned and then he gathered some clothes and went towards the showers.

There was another person currently showering but because of the steam they were emitting was so great Kyungsoo could hardly see where he was going. Who in the world would be taking such a hot shower? Are they ok?

Before the shorter boy could worry himself anymore the person showering seemed to of sensed someone entering and quickly shut off the water. Kyungsoo heard a rustle from one of the stalls and then the sound of a curtain opening.

Through the steam a tall and looming figure began to approach him. The shorter boy let out a surprised gasp and almost ran out of there but a familiar lanky person materialized.

“I’m sorry about that I-Kyungsoo?!” Chanyeol cried, not expecting the shorter boy. His hair was dripping wet and sticking to his forehead and nape some of the droplets escaped down onto his exposed chest and down towards his torso and the shorter boy didn’t realize his gaze was following them until he noticed a very red faced Chanyeol tightening the white towel around his waist.

Kyungsoo immediately looked away, blushing scarlet as he started at everything but Chanyeol. Finally once the knot in his throat loosed up he managed to ask the other boy. “Why did you take such a hot shower?”

Chanyeol seemed to calm down too as his face wasn’t as red but there was still a twinge dusting his cheeks. “I have a higher body temperature than most, so I need really hot showers for me to find it warm. I try to shower at a time where most people don’t so I don’t disturb them with the steam.”

Kyungsoo nodded at the information but a question burned at the back of his tongue. Why is your body temperature higher? He really wanted to ask but his embarrassment and Chanyeols exposure was making him really nervous. Before he could really ask though the other boy went back to his stall and gathered his things. Giving Kyungsoo a shy smile as he passed him. “Well then, I guess I’ll be going, see you around Soo.”

The younger boy smiled back at him and gave him a half bow and tried his best not too oogle the older boy as he walked out the showers. It wasn’t till later when Kyungsoo was lathering his loofa with soap that the shorter boy realized Chanyeol had called him “Soo”

Needless to say he got soap in his eye immediately after from carelessly bringing his hands up to his face in order to hide a blush from no one.

____

The next day wasn’t too different from his first.

His first class was an English language class, the only difference from this one was that he was forced to introduce himself in English rather than Korean but he wasn’t too bad at English and managed to smooth by it quickly. All the praises he received from his classmates certainly helped as well. The class president Kim Joonmyeon took it upon himself to help out Kyungsoo and sat next to him the whole time, even though he was explaining everything Kyungsoo already new, the charming smile the other aimed at him was enough to keep the younger boy quiet and let the older do his thing.

After being graciously walked towards his History class at the insistence of class president Joonmyeon Kyungsoo bid him a farewell and entered his next classroom. Amongst the all the heads he managed to find the familiar one he had seen last night and immediately a blush came to his cheeks from thinking about it. Chanyeol seemed too distracted talking to a fellow classmate to notice Kyungsoo so the boy just awkwardly stood near the door. The other students were staring at him and it was only making his anxiety worse. Finally, he just hurriedly went towards the empty seat next to Chanyeol and plopped down, focusing on unpacking his bag rather than the stares aimed at him. The other boy curiously glanced towards his side at the noise and seemed to of finally noticed the shorter.

“Hey” He greeted loudly and turned his body to face Kyungsoo, the boy he was talking to also brought his attention towards the newcomer, eyebrows quirking up in fascination.

“Oh hello there, why didn’t you tell me you had such a cute friend Chanyeol?” The boy questioned his gaze never leaving Kyungsoos. The younger boy got a bit embarrassed by the comment looked away.

“Ignore Baekhyun” Chanyeol laughed and pushed the other boys’ shoulders when he had started winking at Kyungsoo.

“I’m Kyungsoo.” The doe-eyed boy replied speaking towards Chanyeols eye lined friend. The other boy smiled back at him. “I’m Baekhyun, wizard-in-training.”

Kyungsoo almost began to chuckle until he saw the seriousness in Baekhyuns voice, oh my god this kid is actually going to be a wizard Kyungsoo thought flabbergasted and amused. He’s literally attending Hogwarts.

The other boy kept looking at him though something in his gaze told the younger he was waiting for a reply of a similar sort. Wait, did he want to know what Kyungsoo was?

Feeling sweat begin to form on his neck Kyungsoo cleared his throat weakly; Chanyeol was gazing at him as well, just as curious for his answer.

“I’m…” he began, noticing the way the other two inched closer to him.

The door to the classroom burst open and in walked what appeared to be their teacher. He immediately called the students to attention and Kyungsoo quickly turned in his direction not missing the disappointed looks on his classmate’s faces. Looks like he was from answering this time around, it was that he was particularly ashamed of what he was; it was just incredibly embarrassing for him to say out loud. After all, telling someone you’re a “Nymph” really destroys whatever manly image they have of you.

History at a Supernatural Academy, turns out, is completely different than regular History. There’s so much that regular human beings don’t know and it leaves Kyungsoo’s head swirling as he exits the classroom once the period is over.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun both walk out with him and they joke around a bit about the teacher Kyungsoo only watches with mild interest. They say goodbye to Baekhyun, who won’t stop aggressively winking at Kyungsoo (who only rolls his eyes in return) and Chanyeol and him make their way back to the dorm, chatting about whatever random topics come to mind or how Kyungsoo’s day has been.

Its spring right now so the various bushes around the sidewalk are in full bloom. Heck, he’s pretty sure he saw a cherry blossom tree around here as well. His mother loves Cherry Blossom trees. Kyungsoo makes a note to call her once he reaches his room.

Chanyeol is excitedly talking about some American band he likes and how he learned their song the other day but Kyungsoo is much too distracted by the fallen leave that’s placed itself on top of the taller boys head. The shorter boy stops walking abruptly and Chanyeol does the same, looking at him curiously. Kyungsoo reaches for the others arm and tugs him down gently, surprised the older boy leans down a bit eyes wide and not leaving Kyungsoo’s.

Holding his breath Kyungsoo reaches up slowly and brushes the leaf from his hair gently smoothing down some of the messy locks as he goes. Chanyeol makes a small noise and Kyungsoo quickly retreats his hand and turns away, feeling a bit embarrassed for no reason. He starts walking again and hears Chanyeols footsteps trailing behind him.

The atmosphere’s grown more quiet and Chanyeol seems to be looking anywhere but him. Kyungsoo wonders if he's done something wrong.

 


A U T H O R S N O T E

twitter / tumblr

Thank you guys for commenting and subscribing, im glad you're enjoying reading this story as much as I am writing it!

Also, oops a bit heavy on the Chansoo in this chaper ;) but im sure some of you might like that. hehe

Stay Tuned!