Baby Don't Cry

Baby It's A Wild World

 

"Exchanging only our separate fates that lead to one another
As inevitable as it seemed that we’d miss, I know we loved just as much"

 

C H A P T E R 5: BABY DON'T CRY


Nightfall at the academy was a beautiful thing.

Once all the students have ushered into their rooms after class or gone to a community building to hang out, the campus is quiet, serene, giving off an almost lonely feel to those still left outside.

That’s why it’s no surprise Kyungsoo finds himself going on a midnight walk after a particularly tough insomnia attack. While the boy was no stranger to sleepless nights he had never had too much of a problem with it. Kyungsoo blames the unfamiliarity of everything, the new environment he was suddenly with hardly any prior notice that’s keeping him awake. But with scenery as beautiful as this, he finds he doesn’t mind all that much.

Technically, you are not allowed to be out so late and if a staff member sees you they will kindly send you back to your dorm, with a security guard in tow. However Kyungsoo is feeling oddly rebellious today, maybe it’s the full moon he doesn’t think about it too much, instead choosing to scamper towards a trail through the trees that takes you to the library building.

While the destination isn’t the library, the path itself is the reward. It almost feels like you’re taking a walk through a park, manicured trees surround you left and right and various flowers are strategically placed around them. There are a couple benches around the cement as well.

After a few more steps Kyungsoo reaches a large circular fountain with a gorgeous marble statue in the middle of it. The statue is in the shape of a man holding books, he looks like something out of an ancient Greek art book and Kyungsoo wouldn’t doubt if Michelangelo himself made it.

Stopping at the edge of the fountain the shorter boy bends down and runs his fingers through the cool water, giggling to himself softly when he notices the various coins littering the bottom of the floor. Looks like people have made wishes here before.

Absentmindedly the doe-eyed boy reaches into his pockets in search of a coin digging through his jacket before reaching into his pants. The rustling he’s making is a bit louder than intended and Kyungsoo winces, hoping no staff was around to hear.

Finally after what felt like ages his finger grazes something metallic in his back pocket and he brings it out swiftly. It’s a small 5 won coin that’s probably been sitting in his back pocket for a while now. With a short aha of success the boy thinks about what to wish. Various things pass by his head, things like doing well in school, or seeing his mother soon but as he contemplates a snap of a twig sounds around the area.

Quickly Kyungsoo’s head twists in the direction of the noise, looking around wildly for any signs of life. His heart is beating quickly from the sudden surprise; it feels like someone is pounding a tambourine in his chest. The area is extremely dark though and the shorter boy can’t see past the gloomy streetlights that surround the fountain.

From the corner of his eye he spots a strange glow coming from one of the dark patches on his side. Turning his head quickly he spots two orbs admits the darkness. They’re a strange yellow color and seem to glow an almost morbid orange. Kyungsoo feels his breath hitch.

In fact, if he looks closer they almost look like…eyes?

With a muffled shout he took an instinctive step back and felt himself hit the edge of the fountain. The coin he held in his hand loosed form his grip and flew into the water with a small ripple. Kyungsoo didn’t even have time to look at it with regret as he felt his whole body fall backwards. Closing his eyes he let out another yelp except this time for a different reason.

However there was no water contacting with his body neither any sharp cement edges, in fact it almost felt…warm?

Bursting his eyes open he struggled to urge them to adjust to the dark once more. There is a figure crouched over him, engulfing him in his arms as he broke the fall. Kyungsoo can tell it is a male by the firm grip and masculine frame. It’s someone quite well built actually Kyungsoo notices with a blush.

The younger tries to look at his saviors face but he is too pressed against the stranger’s chest to maneuver his head. The other boy sets him down gently on the floor and finally looks at his face.

Kyungsoo gasps.

Under the dim lamp light he can make out soft features harshened by the lighting and a handsome tan face. But what’s probably the most striking of it all is the intense yellow eyes that peer at him from under dark lashes.

The stranger looks him over glowing eyes trailing his body as if to see if he’s injured or not before coming back to rest on Kyungsoo face. The others yellow eyes are wide and almost curious looking as they gaze at his face.

After what feels like ages Kyungsoo manages to let out a meek “I’m fine.” Effectively breaking whatever trance they were both in.

The stranger snaps out of it and picks himself up quickly, Kyungsoo only sees it for a second before the other turns his head but he swears the yellow eyes turned a chocolate brown.

“Wait, who are you?” Kyungsoo asks feeling breathless and light headed but the other boy is already walking away into the depths of the forest where all light seems to fade out, and Kyungsoo can only watch and mutter a hopeless “Thank You.” Once the other boy is already gone from his sight.

His walk back to the dorm is calm and collected but the thoughts running throughout his head are far from it.

_____

The next day is Friday and the only class Kyungsoo has is Art.

As he makes his way towards the building thoughts of the previous night race through his head.

Who is that other boy?

Is he a student here?

Why did he leave without a word?

The glowing yellow eyes continue to haunt the shorter boy so he opts to try his best to forget about the incident and move on.

The teacher for art is a young woman who is way too bashful to be a teacher and all she’s done since Kyungsoo walks through the door is exaggerate her praises to the student’s work. While he’s all for being nice to others he really doesn’t think a stick figure deserves to be called “though-provoking” and “Picasso Like”

Luckily she isn’t all bad as she asks him to take a seat next to a gorgeous looking blonde man. Who’s currently looking very into whatever he is drawing behind his easel. Unknowingly Kyungsoo stares at bit too long, observing the bold lines on the others face and the soft curve of his jaw. He is quite handsome, in a sort of scary way he supposes.

He holds his pencil smoothly and quickly moves it around his canvas, eyes darting back and forth and Kyungsoo feels his curiosity reach its peak. Even though the teacher is talking the other boy is still concentrating extremely hard on his picture so much the Kyungsoo needs to see what the fuss is about.

As inconspicuously as he can the shorter boy beds to the side slightly trying to give the others canvas a quick peek but the blonde boy is moving too much and blocking his view. Not once noticing the younger male’s actions.

Deciding to give up after almost falling out of his chair and causing a scene Kyungsoo focuses on his own drawing. He picks up a pencil and begins to sketch whatever comes to mind. Drawing seemingly random lines. After he’s a bit bored with that he picks up color pencils and fills some spaces in.

The class passes by fairly quickly as the younger male absorbed himself into his work without meaning it isn’t until he hears a “looks pretty good” from his side that he realizes where he is and what exactly he was drawing.

On the paper amidst the heavy charcoal shading are two very familiar yellow glowing circles staring back at him.

Kyungsoo drops his pencil in surprise and averts his gaze. The blonde man next to him leans closer and picks up Kyungsoo’s fallen pencil. Kyungsoo offers him as shy “thanks” and reaches for it but the other male is faster and instead retreating his hand, he places it over Kyungsoo’s and maneuvers it towards the paper once more.

The shorter boy’s eyes widen as he looks at the stranger in shock, the other only gives him a smirk from the corner of his eye and begins to draw some extra lines on the paper.

“Your drawing is good but you could add some extra shading around here. It’ll really bring out the glow of the eyes.”

Kyungsoo nods dumbly and would normally feel peeved that someone he hardly knew would grab him like that or offer unasked advice but the blonde man’s hand is so huge and it wraps around Kyungsoo’s smaller one so effortlessly that the shorter boy is only left to gape.

After a few more (which doesn’t look really different from what Kyungsoo had originally) the blonde man lets out a satisfied hum and gently drops Kyungsoo’s hand. He begins to pack up his own art supplies into his back pack before strapping it on his back. As he gets up he gives Kyungsoo one last look.

“The names Kris by the way. See you around Kyungsoo.”

The shorter boy splutters a goodbye as well and watches the tall man’s retreating back. Wait, how did he even know Kyungsoo’s name?

With a sigh he just adds it to the rest of the unexplainable things that happen to him and begins to pack up his stuff as well. After everything’s cleaned up and his work is turned in he prepares to leave the class. But a certain someone’s white easel catches his eye as he begins to leave the classroom, the curiosity is still there and Kyungsoo figures it wouldn’t hurt to see what the other man drew.

Holding his breath he walked back towards where Kris was seated and cautiously grabbed the white canvas before lifting it and turning it to face him.

On retrospect he really didn’t know why he imagined beautiful figures with splashes of color that would rival Vinci himself, maybe it was the aura Kris oozed, the way he drew with such confidence that seemed impossible to fake.

But this, these scribbles on the paper would make even Picasso cringe. A laugh erupted from Kyungsoo as he bellowed over, almost struggling to breath from the absurdity of Kris’s artwork.

There was a circle on the page with various other ovals and smaller circles attached to it, actually, it almost looked like a weird cow. There was also a strange black thing sticking out of its head that no matter how Kyungsoo looked at it he couldn’t decipher what it was.

Unknowingly to Kris the cloud high pedestal Kyungsoo had placed him on came crashing down in mere seconds as he inadvertently caused the younger to almost have a from laughing so hard. How in the world Kyungsoo ever though he was cool he’ll never know as the only thing he can think of when he thinks of Kris is those absurd drawings of his. Kyungsoo finds himself smiling the rest of the day and reminds himself to thank Kris later, who knew the taller boy would be so funny?

 

 


A U T H O R S N O T E

twitter / tumblr

Sorry this ones a bit short~ I got longer shifts at work this week so I tried to squeeze in whatever I could before I would be too busy. I hope you enjoyed it anyway! Thanks for all the lovely comments/subscribers/upvotes <333