Wolf

Baby It's A Wild World

 

"The hidden thing within me has opened its eyes now."

 

C H A P T E R 2: WOLF


There’s a couple things that have come to light for Kyungsoo these past few hours

  1. Supernatural creatures exist

  2. He is able to see them

  3. He is one?

With a dejected sigh Kyungsoo crosses out the number three on his make shift list in front of him. He still has millions more questions for his mother but before they could really delve into the subject further his father inconveniently decided to come home from work early and his mother scampered off to make him something to eat.

Now Kyungsoo locked himself in his room with nothing but his thoughts and it wasn’t a very good idea.

He rakes his fingers through his hair a few times, smoothing out the strands before walking towards the window. The sky is grey and sad the clouds are heavy with rain water and look ready to burst any moment. It seems like he’s going to be stuck in his room for the rest of the day.

Throwing himself on his bed he lands face down on the pillows with a grunt. He completely missed the most important exam of his life because he thought it was a good idea to chase some stupid dog into the woods. Kyungsoo feels like screaming. He has no idea what the hell he’s going to do now. His whole world decided to flip on him and he’s still struggling to hold on.  He closes his eyes and pushes himself further in the pillow. He’s so screwed.

____

The next day Kyungsoo calls in sick to school because he can’t handle facing his friends and telling them he missed the exam; Him, who stayed hours after school just so he could study for it more.

He groans as he picks himself off his bed, not bothering to change out of his pajamas as he heads towards the kitchen. His father is at work and his mother’s left to do whatever it is that she does, probably buys flowers or something. Maybe deals them illegally.

Kyungsoo steps onto the cold floors of the kitchen and serves himself a glass of orange juice before bringing it back to his room. He boots up the computer and takes a sip while he waits. Once the screen is showing its familiar StarCraft background Kyungsoo brings up google and begins to type.

Supernatural Creatures: Coyote thing

He presses enter.

____

After hours of searching the only things he managed to find about the creature was a link to some American tv show and an article about chupacabras.

Fortunately he did manage to learn an obnoxious amount about every vampire or werewolf show that exists.

So pretty much he’s found out nothing.

With a sigh he leaves to go wash his forgotten glass, placing it in the sink and rinsing it with water. The water is making a strange tapping noise and Kyungsoo can’t understand why. He turns off the tap water but the noise continues.

Wait, it’s not coming from the sink.

Quickly he turns his head in the direction of the noise, its coming from his door and on closer inspection it sounds a lot like scratching as well. What in the world?

Wary he brings a palm to the doorknob and gently begins to pry it open. What if there was some feral cat behind it that was going to jump at his face the first chance it got? Kyungsoo needs his face because his brain is behind there.

Instead of a feral cat Kyungsoo is standing in front of a familiar white coyote looking just as nervous as yesterday.

 He shuts the door faster than he opened it.

Breath he reminds himself and takes a second to collect his pieces before opening the door once more.

If the coyote had eyebrows he’s sure they would’ve quirked.

“Can I come in?” The creature asks, looking more amused now than nervous at Kyungsoo’s antics. The boy just nods shyly and sidesteps to let the white being in.

The coyote struts in like he owns the place and begins sniffing around his furniture, sizing up the size of his tv and even looks like he wants to raid the fridge at one point.

Kyungsoo leads him towards his room and closes the door once they’re both inside. He sits on his computer chair and watches as the creature jumps on his bed and makes himself comfortable.

“So li-“ “What ar-“

They both start at the same time and quickly shut up once they realize the other was talking as well. There’s an awkward silence and the coyote reaches up to scratch at his ear shyly. The mannerism resembles so much a human scratching their nose after they get embarrassed that Kyungsoo can’t help but too laugh. The coyote seems surprised at first but he quickly starts laughing as well. His mouth opening wide to show a row of sharp pearly white teeth, Kyungsoo wonders if the thing flosses because those teeth look really well managed.

After their little giggle fit is over the atmosphere is more relaxed and the awkwardness seems to dissipate.

“I’m Sehun by the way.” The coyote tells him, and bows slightly in a greeting that Kyungsoo returns.

“I’m Kyungsoo.” The boy eyes the creature, Sehun, curiously. “Can I as what you are?”

If Sehun is bothered by the question he doesn’t show it and instead ops for a nod. “Sure, although I’m not too sure what I am either.” With a laugh the coyote continues. “My mother’s a Kitsune and my father was a wolf shifter, was, as in, he passed away when I was young. I guess whatever I am is the byproduct of that pair.” 

Kyungsoo’s eyed widen at the revelation and mentally adds Kitsune and Wolf Shifter to his list of known supernatural creatures.

“What about you? An eye for an eye Kyungsoo.” Sehun jumps off the bed and begins nosing through Kyungsoo’s stuff looking only half interested in whatever the boy was about to say.

“Err I’m…” Kyungsoo looks for the words, is he even anything? For all he knows he could just be a regular human who can coincidentally see supernatural beings. “…a nymph.” He ends a bit lamely not sounding very confident about it.

Sehun immediately picks his head out of Kyungsoo’s trashcan and scrutinizes the boy. Looking like he doubts the other just as much as the boy himself does.

“A nymph?” Sehun repeats “and a male one at that. Damn there hasn’t been a male nymph since like…Narcissus.”

Before Kyungsoo can even ask what or who Narcissus is the coyote seems to find the clock on top of his night stand.

“Oh it’s getting late. I got to go Kyungsoo, you have my book right? I just came to get that and go.”

As Kyungsoo hastily lifts himself off the bed and reaches for his nightstand drawer there’s a knock at the door. If Sehun was human he would’ve paled at the sound so instead his ears just draw back onto his head.

“Don’t worry; it’s probably just my mom. She tends to forget her keys every time she leaves.” The boy tries his best to reassure the white creature as he treads down his hallway and to the front door. The coyote trails nervously behind him.

Kyungsoo realizes he probably should have checked through the eyehole before opening the door, but in his defense there was a lot going on for him at the time.

As the door swings open an ahjussi with a casual slim business suit awaits on the other side. Kyungsoo hopes it isn’t someone trying to sell him insurance or worse some kind of debt collector.

Sehun gasps a bit from behind him and utters. “Oh , it’s the headmaster.”

Kyungsoo is forced to take a step back from the sheer force the man gives off as he steps into the house, and closes the door behind him. The minute the lock clicks into place there’s a whirl of purple smoke surrounding the strange man and before Kyungsoo’s eyes the suit is replaced with some robe like material. This guy literally looks like he stepped out of some kind of Harry Potter convention. Kyungsoo feels a headache coming on.

The headmaster completely ignores Kyungsoo and walks towards Sehun, who’s looking really close to peeing himself right about now. Kyungsoo really hopes he doesn’t.

“Sehun, you know the rules, you’re not allowed on the mainland during school hours and even less allowed to leave after classes have started.”

Sehun opens his mouth too argue back the man shuts him up with a glare.

“A weeks’ worth of cleaning duty is your punishment.” With a snap of the headmasters fingers Sehun disappears in a puff of purple smoke. Kyungsoo is alone with the strange man.

He gulps as the ahjussi turns around to face him.

“And you, if I can recall there’s no data on you in our records.” The robed man takes a step towards him; Kyungsoo is frozen in his spot.

“You take after your mother so much.” The man tells him while staring at him up and down.

“You know my mom?” Kyungsoo asks curiosity peaked.

“She was the top student at our school.”

Was is the keyword here” Kyungsoo and the headmaster turn their heads towards the front door, his mother is standing there holding a few groceries in her hands, she walks towards the counter and sets them down as the two pairs of eyes follow her every movement.

“You shouldn’t of kept him hidden from us Geun-young-ssi” The headmaster turns to face his mother, his eyes soften at her and there is definitely history there. “You know the rules; any supernatural creatures must attend the academy.”

Geun-young sighs and pulls a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “I know the rules, I was just so sure he wouldn’t take after me and he could live a normal human life.”

The headmaster puffs out a chuckle, “Of course he takes after you he’s beautiful.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t even have time to be creeped out by the compliment because the headmaster is already heading out the door. As he steps out his robes turn back into the suit.

“You will officially be enrolled in our academy starting next week. I will send someone to help you with the move and to give you more information.”

Kyungsoo watches as the door closes behind the headmaster and he is left alone in the house with his mother. She sighs heavily and begins to put away the groceries. Kyungsoo wordlessly begins to help her.

“Are you going to tell me what in the world that was all about?” He asks voice a lot more calm than he feels. His mother side eyes him for a moment.

“What, about the whole school thing or him calling you beautiful?” If Kyungsoo didn’t know any better it would sound like she’s teasing him but luckily he knows when his mother’s being serious.

“Both.” He replies stiffly.

“To humans, we look average if not a bit more attractive than most. It is only other supernaturals that can see us in our true state. Nymphs have always been considered to be beautiful creatures.” Kyungsoo nods, and isn’t sure whether he should be flattered or weirded out to know supernatural creatures will think he’s gorgeous.

“As for the school, it is a rule that all supernatural beings must attend a supernatural institute. They don’t like when we mix with humans. The reason I never enrolled you was because I truly believed you would take after your father. After all male nymphs are practically unheard of.”

Kyungsoo nodded and let the information sink in, if supernatural beings weren’t allowed to mix with humans then what about his father?

As if sensing the unspoken question his mother continued. “When I fell in love with your father it was a huge scandal at the academy. They wanted me to break up with him but I couldn’t leave him. So I fled the school and got married. I don’t know if the rules have changed since then but I don’t want you to be teased for being half human.”

Kyungsoo finished putting everything back into the fridge and crumpled up the brown grocery bag before dumping it in the trash bin. “Is this really happening?” He whispered, to himself mostly, knuckles going white from gripping the counter. His mother placed her hand on his shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze.

“What about my friends? What about the exa-“ Kyungsoo was silenced by his mother’s hand on his cheek. It was the first time he had seen his mother looking this sad. It stirred up something uncomfortable in him.

“I’m so sorry but I’m afraid you cannot return to your human life. Now that the school knows about you they will force you to attend. “

Kyungsoo lowered his head, nodding slightly before escaping his mother’s grasp and left to his room. He needed time to think.


A U T H O R S N O T E

twitter / tumblr

Thank you guys so much for commenting and subscribing! I'll try my best to update regularly. (: I wasn't planning on releasing this chapter so soon but I felt really motivated by all the nice feedback.

So we find out the creature was Sehun! Was anybody surprised? :> Leave a comment on what supernatural creatures you would like too see the rest of exo as! I'll take them into consideration for the members who I have not yet decided on~