Chapter 9

I Promise You

The three of us sat in a table and Jaejoong held my hands tightly, as if he’s trying to emphasise that we’re supposedly going out. My eyes examined Jaejoong’s face and he looked at me with a smile. I gave him a ‘what do you think you’re doing’ look however, he just continued staring. I averted his gaze and looked at Sunny with a nervous look. She didn’t seem to notice and she too, was smiling.

“Omo!” Sunny shrieked happily. “Unnie has a boyfriend! I’m so happy for you both! How come you didn’t tell me?”

I shook my head frantically. I didn’t want Sunny to misunderstand and fall for Jaejoong’s tricks! “Oh no Sunny, he’s not my-”

“Oh look at my chagiya~” Jaejoong interrupted with a childish cute voice. He also tightened the hold of my hands making my hands turn red. “Stop being in denial! We should let the whole world know! Aren’t we madly in love?”

I felt something soft landing on my shoulder and when I looked on my left; I saw his arms around me! What does he think he’s doing?! I felt my body shiver a little. I wanted this to stop however, something inside me was enjoying this. No one has held me like this before. The thought made me blush a little however I shook my head. I knew that this needed to stop.

I then kicked his leg as hard as I could under the table and he flinched with pain. He glared at me and I glared at him back.

“What are you doing?” I said through gritted teeth and his glare immediately turned into a victorious smile. He turned his face around facing Sunny once again. I was dumbfounded. Is this guy ignoring me?!

“Well,” Jaejoong started. “Me and my chagiya have never been on a date before so…”

“Omo! You came here because you wanted to go on a date with Unnie?!” Sunny replied enthusiastically. Her eyes widened and she was beaming. “That’s so sweet! Yes! Yes! Go unnie! I’ll take care of the restaurant!”

“BWO?!” I screamed making the people around me stare at me with fright however, I didn’t care. “But but.. He’s.. He isn’t.. He’s not..”

“Oh thanks so much Sunny!” Jaejoong gave Sunny a playful grin as he dragged me towards the door. At times like this, I would argue back however, it felt as if my voice has suddenly disappeared and I couldn’t say anything at all.

“It’s alright! Now go go go!” Sunny said as she roughly pushed us to the door and out of the restaurant. “Have fun Unnie!”

The moment the door of the restaurant had shut, Jaejoong took his hands off me and started laughing. I looked at him with disbelief. This was his plan all along?!

“Yah!” I shouted loudly hoping he’d stop laughing however, he continued to laugh even harder. “What’s so funny?!”

His laughter finally faded and then he looked at me. He gave me a big grin. His smile made me halt for a moment as I heard my heart beating rapidly. It was as if I’ve suddenly forgotten what happened.

“I can’t believe your little co-worker would fall for this!” Jaejoong replied and started laughing again. Nevermind. Hearing him laugh made me angry again. “And your face! Unbelievable!”

I glared at him and crossed my arms on my chest. The guts of this guy! What was he thinking?!

“Yah! Jaejoong-shi! What were you planning to do anyways?!” I yelled at him angrily. I walked towards him and pushed him quite hard so he could quit laughing. Thankfully, he did.

“Well,” He coughed, trying to force himself not to laugh before he spoke. “I got bored in the house and decided to pretend to be your boyfriend. I didn’t know Sunny would fall for it though! And the date thing was unexpected! I didn’t plan that at all!”

I rolled my eyes as I looked at him. He looked as if he was telling the truth but I didn’t want to fall for that again. “Well because of you, I can’t go inside my restaurant anymore! Sunny would probably force me out and go to that ‘date’ with you!”

I stared at Jaejoong as he bit his lips however I still continued glaring at him.

“I’m so sorry Boa.” I heard him spoke so sincerely making my eyes widened. Are you sure this was the same guy as before? “I only wanted to tease you a little. I didn’t expect this to happen at all. Mianhaeyo.”

I saw him looking down on the ground and I couldn’t help but feel guilty. Even though he was kidding around before, he apologised. Therefore I should forgive him right?

“Jaejoong, it’s alright! You’re forgiven,” I replied and he looked up. I saw him giving me a soft apologetic smile and I could feel my face blushing again. I quickly shook my head and punched myself mentally for even blushing.

“To prove that I’m sorry, how about going on a date with me?” He asked and I jumped from the word date. Huh? A date?

“Oh no! I mean a friendship outing. Just an outing. Not a date!” He quickly clarified as if he heard what I thought. I gave him another smile and slightly nodded. He took his hands and I stared at it for a couple of seconds before placing my soft hands on top of them.

We started walking as our hands intertwined. I stared at our hands and I could feel my face heating up again. I looked down, trying to hide them.

“J-jaejoong –sshi?” I asked softly. He looked at me curiously. “Why do we have to hold hands?”

“Because I like Boa’s hands.

---------

(3rd Person’s POV)

The couple, or ‘friends’, arrived in a nearby amusement park. The sun was shining brightly and the park was filled with people of all ages. The two were still holding hands and they both wore bright smiles.

“I haven’t been to an amusement park for years!” Boa said and faced Jaejoong as she smiled. Jaejoong looked at her and he too gave the short girl a smile.

“Seriously?” Jaejoong asked in disbelief. “When the members and I haven’t got any schedules, we’d always go to an amusement park.”

“But don’t you have to wear disguises?” Boa questioned. She then realised that Jaejoong was wearing a disguise as he wore a scarf almost covering his face and a pair of sunglasses. No one would surely know that the person she was holding hands with was Kim Jaejoong.

Jaejoong simply nodded. “Once, Junsu dropped his sunglasses and a young girl found out the man behind her was Xiah Junsu so she started screamed saying, ‘Omo! It’s Junsu! It’s DBSK!’. A swarm of fans came running towards us and luckily, our manager arrived and took us away from the crowd before more fans arrived.”

Boa nodded as they both walk around the amusement park.

“It must be hard being a famous singer,” Boa replied softly.

“There will be hard times,” Jaejoong said as he looked up at the sky and started thinking. “But if I didn’t become a singer, I wouldn’t have met the members. They’re like family to me.”

“You miss them don’t you?” Boa asked curiously. She realised that Jaejoong loved s a lot. She wishes that she had friends like them as well. The only friend or even family she had right now was Sunny.

“Yup. And it’s their concert tomorrow,” Jaejoong stopped making Boa stop too. Boa saw that he was looking up at the blue sky. “That’s why I have to come back to Japan tomorrow.”

Boa frowned a little but quickly hid it with a serious face. Although she knew Jaejoong was bound to leave soon, she didn’t know he’d leave already. All she could reply with was a soft ‘Oh’.

“That’s why Miss Boa should make this day the best day ever as it’s my last day in Seoul.”

----------

“Th-That rollercoaster… WAS AMAZING!” Boa yelled out pointing at the amusement park’s biggest rollercoaster. They went to a rollercoaster just a few minutes ago and both were still in shock at how amazing the rollercoaster was. All Jaejoong could do was nod frantically. It was as if his voice had disappeared from the times he’d been screaming on the rollercoaster. Boa looked at her watch to find out that it was already 9pm. They were having so much fun in the amusement park that she didn’t realised that it was already this late.

“I think we should go,” Boa said, softly frowning at the thought of Jaejoong leaving. Although it has only been for a couple of days, she grew fond of Jaejoong. She hasn’t smiled like this since her parents died and she was very grateful that she could meet someone like Jaejoong.

“Yeah,” Jaejoong voiced out, a bit croaking. His voice was literally gone and it would be hard for him to speak in this situation.

Hearing Jaejoong’s hoarse voice, Boa giggled. “I think it’s best if you don’t talk as much. You don’t want your fans to be disappointed to hear that your lovely voice has gone.”

They walked home in a comfortable silence. They both look up at the dark sky and the sky was filled with stars brightly shining above them.

“Boa,” Jaejoong called out and as Boa turned around to face him, a pair of arms covering her petite body making her eyes widen in surprise. She could feel the warmness of his body and she softly smiled. She slowly placed her soft hands on his back, hugging him back.

“Thanks a lot Boa,” Jaejoong whispered gently as he hugged her tightly. “Thanks for everything.”

----------------

Boa woke up the next morning knowing that Jaejoong has left. She swiftly got ready for work and dashed off the room. She stopped when she saw Jaejoong’s room. The door was widely opened and the room was empty. The bed was nicely made and it looked as if no one even slept in there. Her eyes travelled to see a piece of paper, folded in half. She walked towards it and unfolded it, only to find a letter saying ‘Thank you.’

She smiled. Boa knew that it should be her thanking him. She wanted to thank him for all the nice things he did for her. Cook her food, make her smile, taking her to the amusement park. Their date, or ‘friendship’ outing was one of the best days of her life and she knew she’d never forget that day.

Boa then walked downstairs and it was empty. The house seemed oddly clean and she knew that Jaejoong must’ve cleaned it before he left. She walked towards the kitchen, grabbing a box of cereals but then quickly putting it back. Boa shook her head. She didn’t have any appetite to eat breakfast.

Boa grabbed her bag and her jacket, ready to go to work. She turned the door knob but then suddenly, a man grabbed her. Before she could scream for help, the man covered her small mouth with a handkerchief and inside the handkerchief were sleeping pills. Before Boa fell into a deep sleep, she heard a deep man’s voice.

“Hey Boa,” The man started. Boa saw the man smirking at her.

“It’s me. Han Jaejoong.”