Did I Make A Mistake?

My Bestfriend's Love

It was Friday afternoon and Nicole had just finished class for the day. One week into school and it was already taking toll on her sleeping patterns. She had been busy everyday with assignments and projects. Just like what Seugyeon had predicted the first week was going to be hard. 

She let out  a sigh of relief. My first week of university done, she said happily to herself. Nicole was walking out of the gate until she realized she was still holding on to the empty a sweet potato chip bag. She turned around and headed to the garbage. 

Nicole suddenly felt her pocket vibrated. She quickly looked at her phone, recognizing the number she answered without a second thought.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" She yelled.

She heard a chuckle on the other end of the line, "Have you missed me?" She could sense a smirk on his face.

"Of course I miss you" She stated, "You're my best friend!"

It was quiet for a few minutes, then she heard him clear his throat, "Turn around" He said.

Confused, Nicole followed what she was told. There she saw Key at the gate, leaning against his slick black BMW. She ran down the stairs and straight into Key's open arms. She felt his arms tighten around her waist in an suffocating way, but she liked it. She hadn't seen him in two months. 

To everyone else they looked like a couple- as Key gave her a kiss on the forehead, but to them it was two best friends who had missed each other.

The kiss on the forehead was another of many of their traditions. 

-----------

"You never answered me back there" Nicole asked in the car. They were on their way to a little restaurant they promised to always go. She was directly looked at Key, who was driving, "Where have you been?"

He smiled and looked at Nicole, "Hara told me you were busy this week with school, I didn't want to lose focus in your studies" Then he turned away.

Key was suppose to be attending school with her, but he wanted to take the year off. He already knew what his future would be like, taking over his father's company. It didn't really leave him with any freedom. Nicole figured this year would be his rebel stage. 

The car finally went to a stop, Nicole could see the sign of the restaurant from her window. "Look Cole, I'm sorry I forgot about last Saturday. I know I promised, I ju- jus- just" Nicole couldn't dare look at him. Her eyes were focused on the sign, but she swore it was starting to get blurry. Don't you dare cry Nicole! Stop this! She said to herself. 

It was silent for awhile, as Key waited a respond from Nicole, while Nicole was trying to get a hold of herself. 

"It's okay" was all she said. 

"How long did you wait?" He asked, he felt guilty for forgetting about his best friend already. 

'Can we just eat, Key?" Nicole turned to face him now, her eyes showing tiredness. Key nodded and proceed to get out of the car. Nicole waited until he opened her door. He liked to show that he was a gentlemen. 

In truth, Nicole was crushed deeply. She waited till midnight for him, by the weather was freezing for her shorts, and she had goose bumps on her arms. She didn't want to tell him how she felt betrayed for a couple of days. It took her awhile until she put the pain aside. She couldn't hold any hate toward her best friend, she'd only hate herself. 

It took a very long time until the atmosphere was light again.

"So it was so funny" Nicole finished off her story, spitting pieces of her food to him. He didn't what was funnier, the story or how she was eating. Either way he loved her.

The conversation continued as Nicole told him about her week, then how the apartment with the girls has been like so far. 

"We have such different personalities but it works for us, so far we haven't fight. I like it" 

Then the conversation turn to Key.

"I need to tell you something about my summer, Cole" He said hesitantly. It scared Nicole. Not only was did he look scared, they never kept anything away from each other.

"I met a girl" Nicole was now shocked. She grabbed Key's hands across the table. From all the time she knew him, he hadn't really taken an interest like his other best friend, Jonghyun. She never thought he was gay, she just believed that he hadn't matured to date yet. This was happy news. 

"Really?" She said happily, a smile across her face, "I'm so happy for you"

"You are?" He said, slightly confused. He shook his head then smile, "It's nothing serious, just a girl I met in Canada. She lives here too! I just wanted to tell you... cause you know, you are my best friend"

Nicole was happy for her best friend. 

----------

The next week, everything had returned to normal. Key would call Nicole before she went to bed, he'd take her out once in awhile for a walk in the park or some where to eat. She could tell that he still felt guilty for forgetting to meet her two weeks ago. 

"Is it just me or this kitchen getting hotter by the second?" Gyuri complained. She'd been cooked since 3'o clock this afternoon.

It was Saturday, and the girls planned to have a welcoming dinner party with close friends. Seungyeon had invited her boyfriend, Onew. Onew and Nicole had invited Key and his other two best friends, Minho and Jonghyun. Minho and Jonghyun and Key were best friends before him and Nicole had met. The first time they visited Korea for the summer, Jonghyun had kissed Nicole's hand. Ever since then, the only skinship the boys had with Nicole was a simple pat on the head. 

This would be the first time the girls would meet the two boys. Nicole wasn't sure how it would turn out. Minho has a quiet, layed back personality. While Jounghyun was a playboy. Nicole consider them as brothers, and they considered her as a sister. 

Hara laughed, "We are almost done" Hara helped Gyuri in the kitchen while Seungyeon and Nicole cleaned the apartment. 

"So why isn't Key coming again?" Asked Seungyeon, as they finished up.

"He has a date" Before Seungyeon could answer the doorbell rang, "ONEW" she yelled. She skipped are way to the door, while the girls laughed at her charm. She was quite a bubbly girl, with such an upbeat personality, it was similar to Onew. They were two peas in a pod. 

An hour later, everyone was around the table, all expect Jonghyun.

"He isn't come" Explained Minho in his deep voice, "He has a date too"

Gyuri replied in a frustrated, "I cooked seven people exactly, now we will have left overs!"

"Don't worry" Onew laughed, "Nicole can eat for two" Everyone joined in the laugher even Nicole, expect Minho, he just simply smiled.

Nicole had realized during dinner how Minho and Hara were very similar, quiet and simple. 

After dinner, they decided to go to the movies. "Well Gyuri has the car, then Minho has his motorcyle" Said Nicole

"Wait, my car has a box in the back sit, so it can only fit 3 people now" said Gyuri.

"Well I can't ride a bike anymore, I got sick last time" Stated Nicole, "And Seugyeon and Onew don't want to go separate, so that leaves Hara" 

Hara had remained silent, her face unreadable. "It's okay, I'll go with Minho" Nicole could read the fear in her eyes. Not because she was riding a bike, but the fact she was riding with a guy. Hara had never had contact with a boy before. She was skinny and beautiful, but she never had interest in boys.

The car had already left to go to the movies, and it left Minho and Hara awkwardly standing infront of the bike- silent. 

Minho stepped infront of the bike, picking up two helmets. "Here" he said, in a deep voice, passing the smaller helmet, "It's smaller, it should fit your head" Hara simply nodded her head. For a couple of minutes she stood trying to put her helmet but failed. 

"I'll do it" Minho said, he stepped infront of Hara. They were inches apart. Minho was too busy trying to put her helmet on to notice how close their faces were. But for Hara, she couldn't breathe. This was the closest she had been to a boy. She examined his features. For the first time, she noticed that he didn't look all bad.

"There, I got it" he said, finally looking into her large brown eyes. It was then Minho finally realized how close they were. He quickly stepped back and hopped in the front seat of the bike. Minho knew she was a very pretty girl, but an inexperienced girl and also Nicole's friend - It wouldn't go well if he told her he had some attraction to Hara. 

"Hop on" He said to Hara. Hesitantly, she walked up to the bike. She sat behind him, leaving some more space between the two, her hands on her lap.

For the first time, Hara heard him laughed. He grabbed her wrist and wrapped it around his waist, "I don't want you falling off now" He put on his helmet, so he didn't have to say anything else expect, "Hold on tight!" And they were off. 

Meanwhile, in Gyuri car, the ride was quite expect the music playing. The couple in the backseat had fallen asleep, and it left Nicole in the front seat with Gyuri. 

"Nicole, I thought you liked bike rides?" Gyuri questioned

Nicole laughed "I must have forgotten" Gyuri picked up on the situation

"You think it will work?"

"Not sure, they are very similar. I like Minho, he is way better than Jonghyun for Hara" Nicole said

"That may be true, but he is still experinced in the field of... let's just say love. Hara is way to innocent for him" Gyuri knew who Minho was. Nicole had often told stories about their childhood. 

"I never thought of that" Nicole said, Did I just make a mistake? 

-----------

Author's note: If you are wondering why Nicole isn't jealous, it's because she hasn't realized her feelings. Don't worry Taemin and Jiyoung will show up soon. And can anyone give me some names for Key's girl? Please and Thank you.