I’ll Back off So You Can Live Better

My Bestfriend's Love

 

“So maknae can get a boyfriend before I do!” Hara complained, pouting.

Nicole patted her back, “You never know, you and Minho have been pretty close!” giggling, until Hara hit her back.

“Wait, when did this happen?” Gyuri put her food down, along with the other 3 girls.

“Yes, you never told us about this!” Seungyeon said, leaning over the table.

Hara felt her cheeks heat up, as the interrogation began.

“Do you like him?”

“When was your first date?”

“Has he kissed you yet?”

“When is the marriage?”

“YAH!” Hara yelled covering her ears, while the other girls had found this fun. Just moments ago, Jiyoung had been the center of attention. She had just announced that Taemin asked her to be his girlfriend, while everyone was away on their vacation. Everyone had approved of him, already knowing who he is. While everyone was gone, they had secretly got on a couple of dates, and that Sunday night after watching a movie, he walked her home and before he left he kissed her on the cheek and asked her to be his girlfriend.

“Come down guys!” Gyuri said in a motherly tone, “She never said they were going out”

“Thank you”

“-Yet”

“Fine!” Hara began to stand up, “I won’t tell you guys anything”

“Aw come on, we were just kidding!” Jiyoung giggled, giving Hara her puppy eyes.

“You know no one can resist your puppy eyes!” Hara sat down again.

-----

“So... Tell us about your relationship with Minho” Gyuri asked, as she walked to the kitchen carrying the dirty plates.

“Nothing is going on, we are just friends”

“Friends that go on dates?” Nicole nudged her, already knowing everything.

Even though it had only been 3 days since Minho and Hara became friends, he had been taking her out for dinner or lunch- when they didn’t have a class. They were actually supposed to go out tonight, but with the girls wanting to spend some time together, Hara had cancelled.  

“They are not dates!”

“Were you guys alone?”  Seungyeon pressed on

“Y-yes, but that doesn’t mean anything!”

“But you think he’s cute right?” Gyuri yelled from the kitchen.

“YAH! I never said that!” Hara felt herself being to blush again.

“But you never not said it!” Jiyoung smiled.

“Fine, I think he’s cute, but you guys think that too!”

“But we aren’t the ones who like him!” Nicole laughed, and dodged a hit from her best friend.

“I don’t like him!”

“Yes you do!” Said all the girls.

“Maybe just a tiny crush!” Hara announced, hiding her face in her hands.

The girls rejoiced, and began to hug her.

“Now we can have double dates!” Jiyoung said before joining the hug.

----

The month of November passed uneventful for Nicole. She received no phone calls, no visits, not even a single text message from Key. That unknown feeling she had last weekend been beginning to grow; she knew who he was with, Nana. They were spending more and more time together, Nicole wasn’t use to it. Even a week without contact with her best friend seemed like a month. She was use to having hearing his voice at night, usually singing to him to go to sleep. She was use to having those usual lunch dates when she didn’t have a class. She was use to driving around town at nights because they were bored. She was use to having him, but now it seemed like she was losing him to some other girl. She missed her best friend.

Nicole was sitting of the steps of the library patiently waiting for Jinwoon. With Key temporally out of the picture, Nicole had begun closer to her partner, Jinwoon.  They were always together now, whether in school or out of school. She was thankful to have a friend like him; it sort of reminded her of Key. But even the presences of Jinwoon couldn’t replace her best friend Key. As the wind began to pick up, Nicole felt herself shiver. She rubbed her hands together, Where is he? She spotted a tall blonde-headed boy dressed in a black petticoat, walking towards her with two cups.

“Sorry I’m late –Here” He handed her a warm cup, and Nicole quickly took a sip.

“Thanks, I really needed this!” She gave him her famous smile.

They sat in silence, both watching the busy streets of Seoul. The sun was beginning to set. Nicole had found herself singing a song that had been stuck in her head since the vacation. She had heard it on the way home from the resort, and ever since then it had been stuck in her head as if it was on repeat.

I’ll back off so you can live
That is all I can say
I’ll forget you so you can live better
So that you’ll be happy without me”

“I like that song, who is it by?” Jinwoon asked.

“It’s by G-Na” Nicole smiled, recalling the music video. She didn’t know why, but she grew an attachment to the song, “It’s called ‘I’ll Back off So You Can Live Better”

“You know you can sing?” Jinwoon smiled at her, “You sing a lot when you are thinking in deep thought. Have you thought of going to the summer program for singers?”

“I’m not a singer though”

“Exactly! It helps those who can sing, sing better. It’s a great program. You travel the world, meeting different types of genres. It even helps the poor too!” Jinwoon looked down at Nicole, seeing the glimmer in her eyes, “They hold concerts and all the money they raise goes back to the poor”

“That sounds amazing!”

“It is, isn’t it?” Jinwoon smiled again, “Think about it, it would be a great opportunity for you”

------

It was the weekend before December, and Gyuri had begun working later shifts. With Christmas coming up soon, more people had begun coming to the restaurant seeking refreshments after shopping. She was thankful for those people; more people, more tips. More tips, more money. She waved bye, before she began walking home from another late shift. The street was unseemly empty. She walked in silently with only the wind blowing in her ears, until she heard her phone ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hey Gyuri, its Minho. I need you to do a big favour”

It was unusual for Minho to call Gyuri.

“Sure. What’s up?”

“Great! I need you to pick up Jonghyun”

“WHAT?!” She yelled

“I’m sorry, I’m busy right now with business and everyone else isn’t picking up their phones. Please!”

“What’s wrong with him now?!”

“He drank too much and he won’t go with a stranger when his drunk” Minho said too quickly, giving Gyuri a hint he was actually busy.

Gyuri sighed, knowing she was going to regret this, “Where is he now?”

-----

“Fat child, you need to lose some weight” Gyuri complained, as she dropped him on the couch. She stretched a bit, looking down at the now sleeping Jonghyun. He was sweating; despite the fact Gyuri had done all the lifting. He was dressed casual, with a simple t-shirt, and black jeans. One leg on the couch, the other on the floor, he looked dead. Gyuri pressed some of his hair back, watching him sleeping.

When he isn’t smirking like an idiot, he is actually cuteShe got up, getting a blanket from her room, along with a small towel and a bucket from the washroom. She placed the bucket beside the sleeping Jonghyun before she took the small towel and began wiping the sweat from his forehead. After she was finished she took the blanket and placed it on Jonghyun.

“I don’t even know why I’m doing this for you!” She whispered, before she felt herself falling asleep on beside Jonghyun.

----

“What the hell? Where am I?” Jonghyun woke up in an unfamiliar living room, woken up by the bright sun. He started at the ceiling, feeling a sudden headache coming on. All he got remember was getting wasted at the club before he got picked up by...

“Gyuri?!” His eyes widen as he saw Gyuri leaning on the couch still in the floor. She was peacefully sleeping, yet she still looked tired, but nonetheless she looked beautiful to him. As he watched her more, he noticed the uncomfortable face she had on, she must feeling uncomfortable sleeping like that, He rose up, despite having a headache, and he lifted her up and placed her on the couch. He watched as her facial expression changed causing a stir inside of him. He placed the blanket on her, feeling himself smiling. He watched her for a few more moments, just watching her sleep, until he decided to go.  

-----

Nicole was sitting alone in the living room, watching a rerun of “We Got Married”. The girls were out for the night; Gyuri was working the night and Seungyeon and Hara had gone to visit their family. Her eyes were glue to the two couples in front of her. They were two idol singers by the name of Jokwon and Gain. She loved their chemistry and enjoyed their on-screen romance. She was so consumed in the show, that the banging from the door had given her a scare. Her eyes snapped to the dark door, regretting the decision to leave the lights off. Scenes of horror films flashed before her eyes; a cute girl alone when someone kills her.

“YAH!-Oh Key” Nicole was shock to find her best friend standing at the door. His arm leaning at the frame with his body hunched over.  She watched as his legs gave away, almost hitting the ground if Nicole hadn’t caught him in time. She carried his weight to the couch, sitting him down.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, worried.

He was drunk. Key never drinks.

“Nana and I got into a fight” He mumbled, as he swayed.

“Drinking is never the answer, Key. You know that” She handled his arms, stopping him from swaying and stared at his eyes.

They stayed quiet as they just stared into each other’s eyes. Nicole couldn’t understand his actions. Why would he drink? He never drinks unless something is really bothering him. He wouldn’t drink because of a girl... right? Nicole wasn’t so sure anymore. This was their first contact since the vacation, but this wasn’t how she wanted to see him again; drunk and all because of another girl. She tried reading his eyes, but that was even a fail. She couldn’t understand them anymore and that bothered her greatly.

“Nicole” He said leaning closer to her, “What do you think of me?”

A simple question to answer, but why was it so hard to answer it now?

“You are my best friend, of course” She choked out, watching as his eyes darkend.

 “Yeah... Best friend” His body gave in as he fell into the couch, his eyes closed, “Of course, best friend” He mumbled.

Nicole watched unable to understand his reaction... was that disappointment she just witnessed?

“Hmmmm... Best friend, I think I’m going to ask Nana to move in with me” Key said, before she heard his snores.

Nicole continued to stare at him, feeling a slight pinch in her heart. She was unable to understand what was going on with her emotions. But this announce had felt like a ton of bricks had just hit her. Why was she feeling like this? Shouldn’t she be happy that her best friend was happy? But why couldn’t she shake off this burning feeling that just seems to keep growing whenever she heard Nana’s name. What’s going on?

“Key... What’s going on with us?” She whispered, wiping the single tear that dropped from her eye. 

Author`s Note: Such a turning point in the story! :D I really don`t like editing, so sorry for all my mistakes.