Only the beginning

My Bestfriend's Love

Late late LATE!  Nicole thought to herself.

She hated tardiness, Key knew that. Being best friend since the 6th grade, they knew more about each other than their own self. Perhaps it was the fact they were the only Asian kids in their school back in Canada that they bonded quickly for a young age. Key was exactly an hour and 23 minutes late. They were suppose to meet at 6pm at the park near her new apartment. It was a tradition of theirs, every summer (in Canada- July to August), they promised to always go here together in the beginning of summer. Expect when their family decided to move back to Korea, Key wanted to stay for the summer, while Nicole wanted to get ready for her university life. It was the first time they were separate for such a long time. Now it was almost the end of the summer and just a couple of days would be her first day of school. 

"It's 9:11 already!" Nicole said to herself. The wind had suddenly picked up and Nicole felt stupid for only wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Being summer, she thought it would be hot. Sadly for her it was one of the coldest day of September so far. She had tried calling Key many times, all times his phone was turned off. That's unlike him, she thought. He always had his phone on and he always answered her calls. 

"AACHOOO" Nicole sneezed for the millionth time now. She knew she was getting a cold and all she thought was, Is Key alright? 

--------------------------

Nicole had woken up feeling like she was dying. She had a major headache, her body was sore and she was freezing. Mental note: check the weather before leaving, she reminded herself. 

"What happened to you?" Gyuri asked. Nicole looked like a messed.

Seungyeon looked up from her cell phone, shocked at what she saw. She hopped down from her chair and placed her palm on Nicole's forhead. "She has a fever" Seungyoen looked at Gyuri with a worried expression.

"I'll make soup" Gyuri sighed, before getting the pot. It was silent for a few minutes, only the sounds of Gyrui's movement, and the sound of Hara singing in the shower.  "Did he at least come?" Gyuri question was directed to Nicole. The girls knew that she had gone last night to meet Key.

There were 4 girls (including Nicole) living in the 4 bedroom apartment. Hara and Nicole were just starting their university life in University of Performing Arts in Seoul, while Seungyeon and Gyuri were in their second year already. Nicole had met Hara one summer in Korea at a family party. Without Key being there with her, she instantly made friends with the only kid there. While Nicole met Seungyoen through Key. Seungyon was the girlfriend of Onew, a family friend of Key's. They started dating the summer of her grade 8 year. Nicole and Key played matchmakers for Onew and Seungyon and ever since then they were inseparable. Nicole and Hara had met Gyuri a few summers later through Seungyon. They were already best friends and some how all four of them became best friends. When Nicole heard the news she was going to live in Korea from now on, the girls had planned to move in all together.

When Nicole said nothing, Gyrui and Seungyon knew the answer. 

"Did he at least tell why he didn't come?" Asked Seungyon. No answer from Nicole. She was ashamed now. Gyuri and Seugyeon nodded to each other, signaling to stop with the questions. Gyuri handed Nicole her soup and they all ate in silence.

Hara walked in the kitchen and quickly sensed the atmoshpere, she remainded silence also.

"Well..." Seugyeon said, "Gyuri and I have some things to do, so we'll go first" 

Silence.

"If you were thinking, he didn't show up" Nicole said when she finished her soup. Her voice low. 

Hara looked at her best friend. She could quickly see the pain of betrayal in her eyes, but she was trying to cover it with her smile. Hara could only nodded, she didn't know what to say.

After a few more minutes of silence, Hara founded the courage to speak, "I think you should stay inside today. School is starting tomorrow, and you should be resting if you don't want to be sick tomorrow" 

Nicole smiled at Hara. She was thankful for such a friend like Hara. Though Hara didn't understand her like Key, she was always understanding. 

"Thanks, I think I will" Nicole hopped down from her chair and closed the door to her room. Minutes later, Hara could hear the snores coming from Nicole's room. 

Suddenly, she heard Nicole's phone ringing. Ahh she must have left it in the kitchen, Hara thought before she picked up the phone call. 

"Cole, look I'm sorry. I totally forgot about yesterday. I hope you didn't" ... She knew that voice, it was Key's. They had only met a couple of times, but she remembered.

"Hmm.. Sorry Key, it's Hara" 

When Key didn't respond, Hara spoke up, "Nicole... is ...." Hara knew Nicole wouldn't want Key knowing she was sick because of him. She'd only feel guilty. "Nicole is busying for the day, she can't really talk"

"Is that so?" Key finally answered, "Then I'll call back tomorrow"

"Maybe you should call on Friday, I think she'll be busy with school" Hara said her voice a bit shaking. She knew it she sounded rude, but she had a feeling of protecting Nicole from her best friend, and she didn't know why.

"Oh I understand, tell her I said I'm sorry" Key said quietly.

"Don't feel guilty, Nicole would never blame you for anything" With that the conversation ended.

Hara turned to face Nicole's bedroom door, Why does it feel like this is only the beginning?