The kids are alright

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wouldn’t it be the perfect crime, if I stole your heart and you stole mine?”

 

We arrived at my grandparent’s house in 3 o’clock in the evening. I looked at the passenger seat and Chaerin’s sleeping face caught my eyes. She was sleeping soundly while folding her arms across her chest. I got out from the car slowly and pulled out the luggage from the bonnet, leaving her to sleep more. After I put the bags in the room, I moved back to her and saw that she was still sleeping.

Smiling, I knocked on the window on the passenger seat and she startled to wake.

“Are we there yet?” she asked groggily.

“Yes,” I replied, watching my wristwatch. “About…half an hour ago.”

“And you just wake me up…now?” She opened up her door and stumbling to walk inside the house.

I was being considerate of you. You were tired and I don’t want to wake you up. I want you to sleep some more. I was being a gentleman, and now I’m the one to blame?

“You were sleeping,” I said, following her to the porch.

“More of the reason to wake me up,” she answered in annoying tone. She sat on the porch and removed her bright red high heel.

I in my breath. She was really hard to understand. “Can we just stop yelling at each other? Just for tonight. I don’t even have the energy to fight with you. I just want to spend some quality time with you in my grandparent’s house and I really want us to respect their home.”

She sighed. “Fine.” She strode into the living room and her eyes scanned the wide hall. “So, where’s my room.”

“Here,” I said and guided her to a room at the end of the corridor. I slid the door and held it open. “Your bags were inside and maybe you want to have a shower before we’re going out later. It’s pretty hot summer.”

“Where are we going again?” she inquired with a frown.

She’s definitely hated the idea of going out to meet the sun again. “The house has been empty for years, Chaerin. There’s nothing we can eat here. And you have to make dinner. So, we’ll going to the mart.”

“Can we just order pizza? I’m too tired to cook,” she whined.

“No, I want a homemade dinner. And I want you to do the cooking,” I said firmly. I stared at her with my hands on my hip.

With a scoff and a groan, she stepped inside her room and slammed the door.

Great. Now I have something else to worry.

She’s going to break the house.

 

“Potatoes?”

“It full of carbohydrates, I’m dieting. So, no.”

I stopped pushing the cart and pinned a stare at her. “So, what do you want to cook tonight? You’ve rejected the meat, the chicken and the fish. What are we going to have for dinner?”

She smiled brightly and lifted a big round cabbage. “Cabbages?”

I made a face. “I hate vegetables.”

Her smile faded and she put down the cabbage in the trolley. “Fine, so don’t eat.” She walked straight ahead leaving me with the trolley and the big cabbage.

Sneakily, I put back the vegetable back to where it belongs and pushed the cart quickly to her. “What about eggs?” I asked, lifting up a box of eggs. “You can just fry it or steam it. It will be just a piece of cake.”

She turned around and sighed. “Fine.”

I grinned widely, putting down the eggs slowly into the cart and followed her to the dry section, where we grab a bag of rice, kimchi, a bottle of cooking oil and onions.

When we got to the cashier, she glared at me while I’m unloading the stuff.

“I have to eat ramyun,” I said sternly as I put down a box of ramyun, ham and spring onion.

She rolled her eyes and muttered, ‘Whatever’, before walking away and leaving me to settle the bills and bags full of groceries.

 

I stirred up the ramyun before adding the chopped spring onions, eyeing Chaerin with her eggs roll. “You’re OK?” I asked softly as I watched her having a little difficulty in rolling the eggs.

“I know what I’m doing, Seungri. I’m an adept in cooking.” She poked the fried eggs with the spatula and slowly, she rolled it. “There,” she exclaimed. “…is the perfect, eggs roll.”

I chuckled. “Your perfect eggs roll was burnt.”

“No, it’s not.”

“Yes, it is. There’s a black spot on the centre of the eggs roll.”

She turned off the stove hastily. “That just what…I’m intended to do.”

I let out a sigh. “You don’t know how to cook,” I stated bluntly.

“I know how to cook!” she whimpered. “I just…that…it’s been a while since I’m holding a spatula. So I’m just getting rusty.”

I smiled at her and I saw how red she has been. “Don’t worry. You still have time. And maybe, before I go, I get to taste your cooking. Practices make perfect.”

 

After dinner, we sat down on the porch with a can of beer in hands. Both of us stayed quiet as we stared on the night sky- deep blue with blinking stars. I drained my alcohol, crumpled the can and tossed it aside. My heart and mind felt light and cosy with the surrounding.

“Why are we here again?”

I glanced to Chaerin and held the gaze to her. “Just…want to live in the past. Where everything was simpler. I was a kid and there’s nothing I have to worry. Unlike now, when we’re all g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter