Chapter 9 - Because now he knew...

What if...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

[Sunday. At the charity benefit]

 

SR was busy prep-ing the kids backstage, giving last minutes advice to psych them up.

 

Several kids had earlier decided to throw a tantrum and threaten to not walk on stage and perform, after they were mortified by the large turnout to the charity benefit dinner.

 

But the crisis were avoided when GD had managed to coax the kids into performing.

 

He had promised to treat them all to ice-creams the next day.

 

Kids.  He chuckled to himself.

 

As he took his place in the VIP tables for tickets worth 100 000won per pax, he switched on the iFlip that YB had gave to him before his departure to Gwangju.

 

He focused his view and took a few videos of the school hall, the VIP tables, the crowd behind him, the stage, the teachers, the kids and SR.

 

Especially SR.....

 

The star of the show.

 

For YB. *GD reassured himself*

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

[After the charity benefit]

 

SR searched for the school principal amidst the crowd leaving the school hall.

 

Once he spotted the elderly man, he head towards him.

 

In his hands was the white envelope which contained his YB hyung's generous donation.

 

GD, whom SR had entrusted to safeguard the large amount on his behalf, had earlier passed it to him at the end of the charity benefit.

 

SR : Principal Sir!  I need to talk to you.

 

Principal : Oh SR!  I have yet to thank you for your help! 

 

SR : It's my pleasure to help out Sir! 

 

Principal : Well the kids and I am still grateful.  Look at the turnout tonight!  They came because they heard that YOU were choreographing the whole performance.  The benefit wouldn't be a success if it wasn't for you....

 

SR : Sir, the kids deserve as much credit as I did.  They worked hard.

 

Principal : You are a kind young man. *appreciative*

 

SR : That I am not Sir.  But Mr Principal, I have something else for you.

 

SR handed over the white envelope to the principal.

 

The elderly man put on his reading glasses before taking the envelope from SR's hand.

 

When he opened it, his mouth gaped wide open.

 

Principal : SR!  How generous of you!

 

SR : No Sir!  It's NOT from me!

 

Principal : Then who is it from?

 

SR : It's from a hyung of mine.  From Seoul.  He was supposed to come today but work held him up.  Instead he sent his good friend *pointing at GD who was standing by the exit door on the other side of the hall* in his place and a personal donation of 500 000won.

 

The principal looked back and forth at SR and the envelope contents.

 

He looked visibly confused.

 

Principal : 500 000 won?

 

SR noticed the worried tone in the principal's voice.

 

SR : Yes Sir.  500 000won.  It's all in there.  Count it for yourself. 

 

The Principal paused for a while before continuing.

 

Principal : SR, I think you got the amount wrong.

 

SR : Wrong?  What do you mean Sir?  Is it short?

 

Principal : No. It's not like that.  The amount is not short.  In fact, it's the total opposite. *smiling*

 

SR : Total opposite?

 

Principal : Look here.  Count for yourself.

 

The Principal took out the wad of cash and spread it out for SR to count.

 

100 000won

 

200 000won

 

300 000won

 

400 000won

 

500 000won

 

600 000won

 

700 000won

 

800 000won

 

900 000won

 

1000 000won....

 

SR looked up at the Principal, who was smiling.

 

SR remembered that his YB hyung had placed 500 000won in the envelope and he had personally count the donation before he handed the envelope over to GD for safekeeping.

 

GD?

 

GD!

 

GD.......

 

SR looked up at the lone figure waiting by the exit door.

 

The lone figure who had earlier promised to treat the kids to ice-cream the next day.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter