Valentine's Day Gifts (Phebs and Midori)

Andi's Oneshot and Drabble Collection

“PHEBS!” Jaejoong sang as he held out the beautifully wrapped pink and red parcel to his brand new bride. “It’s our first Valentine’s Day as a married couple. I…how does Hani say it? I went all out.” He beamed as she stared at the wide rectangular box warily in her hands. They had been together for seven years and had recently gotten married just months ago; because of the time spent together, Phebs knew just how extravagant his gifts could be. “Why are you just looking at it? Unwrap it!”

“…you didn’t buy me a car, did you?” she asked slowly.

“Silly!” He gently poked her shoulder. “How could I fit a car into a little box like that?”

You could put the keys in it. She reluctantly tore off the shiny paper and tossed it in the trashcan. A sky blue jewelry box with the words Tiffany and Co. stamped across the lid now lay in her hands. “Jaejoong, what did you get me? It better not be expensive. I can’t stand it when you buy me really expensive jewelry. I can never buy you stuff that’s really pricey…”

Ever since they had gotten engaged, Jaejoong had lavished her with only the best of things in the world, and every time he spent any money on her, Phebs would become moody and remember that she could never really give back to him. He did claim to love her beautiful handmade keychains and bracelets (she had even made him a phone charm, which he had not replaced for seven years. Seven freaking years), but she could not help feeling he only said it to placate her.

I just wish that one day, I could go out and buy you something expensive, and my pocket wouldn’t even feel an ounce lighter.

He moved to her side with a sly smile. “Phebs baby…” He brushed her dark hair back, exposing her neck. He dropped a sweet kiss on her tanned skin. “Just open it, please,” he breathed into her ear, sending shivers down her spine. No matter the situation, whenever he spoke to her in that husky voice, she almost always lost control of herself. And now my head is spinning. Thanks, Jae. Quietly, she lifted the lid—and nearly dropped the box altogether.

“…Jaejoong.”

“Do you like it?” he asked while leaving kisses along her neck.

Nestled into the white fluff was a brilliant platinum necklace with matching teardrop earrings. A shiny, milky opal rested on the platinum, as large as one of her fingernails. She lifted it closer to gaze at the smooth surface of the gemstones. “My birthstone,” she mumbled in awe. Her watery eyes lifted to his. “Oh, Boojae…”

“Happy Valentine’s Day,” he whispered against her cheek before placing a kiss there. “I’m glad you like it.” He trailed kisses all along her face and pecked her quickly on the lips. “So, my sweet Phebsie bear…” He dropped a kiss onto her nose. “Where’s my gift?”

“Joongie, don’t make me laugh!”Hmm…how to do this…She gently the material of his shirt between her fingers. “Hmm. It’s a gift…I can’t wrap or hand-deliver to you.”

He brightened immediately. “Did you get me a car?!”

She held back her giggles. “Not quite, sweetheart.” She gently nibbled on his bottom lip, and he moaned quietly. “It’s something…intangible…to a point…” She fluttered her eyelashes and looked up at him bashfully. “Well?”

“Is this gift something you picked up from Carly, Jen, or Hani?”

“Hmm…maybe…” She let out a surprised yelp as he suddenly swept her up into his strong arms and nearly sprinted to their bedroom. “Jaejoong, slow down! I don’t want to hit the doorframe!” He stopped at the foot of their sleigh bed, determined to throw her onto the soft down comforter so he could tear off his clothes lightning-fast. “We should use protection…and maybe light a few candles…and music…” She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down for a kiss. “I want to dance with you first.”

He melted where he stood. “How do you do that?”

“Do what?” she blinked innocently.

“Even though you say you’re new to all that we do—” At that comment, she blushed furiously. “But you’re able to reduce me into a big, mushy Jaejoong puddle.” Oh, my Lord. That was too cute. He rubbed his cheek against the top of her head. “Every day, I wonder how on earth someone like me managed to snag and secure someone as wonderful as you.”

“I wonder the same thing,” Phebs sighed into his chest. “You’re too good for me, Joongie.”

“You have it backwards.” He leaned down, cupping her face. “But we know how this argument always turns out.” He brushed away the tears forming at the corners of her eyes. “Phoebe, I love you so much. You always say I’m the perfect one. Look in the mirror one day. I just wish you could see how good and perfect you are.” He placed a kiss on her forehead. “Now…how about that dance?”

<3 <3 <3

Junsu kept his hands over Midori’s eyes as he guided her through the hallway to the small living room in their loft. “Su, I have this bad feeling I’m going to trip and fall over something…like your dog,” she added when Shaki brushed against her legs. “If I do trip, you’re going down with me. Just saying.”

He laughed loudly. “Aw, don’t say that! I’d catch you first! Now trust me, please.” He inched closer to the couch and helped her sit down. “Okay…wait here. And keep your eyes closed!” he yelled over his shoulder as he skipped off to who knows where. Respectfully, she slapped her hands over her eyes and leaned back into the couch. Last year he got us a pair of tickets to Cancun which pretty much made up for the year before last, when he decided that I needed a y and I spilled my hot cocoa all down my front. She squirmed in place. I just hope he likes my gift…otherwise, I’m going to kill him.

“Back!” He bounced onto the cushion, making her shift slightly. “I think you’re really gonna like my gift this year!” After a minute, he cleared his throat. “Baby,  you have to open your eyes.”

“Oh. You didn’t tell me.” She let her hands drop into her lap. He proudly presented her with the holiest (as in holes everywhere) box she had seen in a while. “Uh…a midget’s not going to, like…pop out and start singing some cheesy love song, right?”

His eyebrow furrowed. “Nope, but I can do that for your birthday, if you want?”

“No, that’s okay,” she said quickly. When the box moved, sliding across the floor, she raised an eyebrow at him. “It is a midget, isn’t it?”

“I swear it’s not!” he exclaimed.

The box shifted again, heading under the coffee table. Curious, she lifted it onto her lap and noticed a set of hinges on the side. Oh, it’s a crate, then. Holey box. What’s wrong with me? “I’m a bit scared…” She slowly raised the cover and allowed it to fall back. “Oh. My. God. JUNSU!” she squealed in delight. She her hands into the box…

…and withdrew the fluffiest black-and-white baby rabbit anyone had ever seen.

“Do you like him? I figured you could name him, since I don’t think you’re gonna like the nickname I gave him for the time being.”

She cuddled her new pet to her chest. “What’d you name him?”

Junsu grinned wryly. “Yoochun.”

Suddenly, all the weird times she had caught him cursing his fellow bandmate (even though he was not around) made sense. “Hani would murder you if she ever found out you named a rabbit after her husband.” Midori scooted closer to him, and he put an arm around her. “Aw, thank you, baby. I love him! He’s so cute.” The rabbit shifted in her arms, nose continuing to twitch in the cutest manner possible. “I think I’ll name him…Snuffles.”

“Like Sirius Black?”

“Junsu, I love you even more for knowing that reference.”

“See? I’m smart. You guys all think I’m stupid, but I read.” He kissed her once before pulling back. “Oh, what’d you get me?”

Her eyes dropped to the rabbit in her lap. Oh, the coincidence. He bought me a rabbit, and…don’t laugh, Midori…you’ll ruin everything. “Well, ah…it’s not really something I can put in a box or crate. Not ,” she added when a devious twinkle entered his eyes. “It’s…something…a lot better than , in my opinion.”

"Pft," he scoffed. “I may be new to , but that is the greatest invention mankind ever thought up. What could possibly be better than ?”

She smiled sweetly. “Well…what about…a rabbit of our own?”

He frowned. “Eh?”

Of course he wouldn’t get the analogy. She covered his hand with hers and squeezed gently. “I’m talking about a rabbit of our own.” When he continued to look confused, she sighed in exasperation. “Su, I’m trying to tell you I’m pregnant and you’re not getting any of the hints I’m throwing at you. And you call yourself smart.”

“YOU’RE PREGNANT?!” he exclaimed squeakily.

“Yes?”

He blinked several times before his eyes drooped and he slumped back into the couch. Oh dear. He fainted. I knew he would react like this. She gently fanned his face, baby rabbit still in her arms. Well, it’s better than I thought. I was sure he’d freak completely and start running around the neighborhood, telling everyone. I think I like him fainting better.