Four

Pink Parallel Notes

Kim Jongin catches the cold post-it flapping wildly outside his window.

 

There is a chilling blast of wind, full of snow flurries and ice.

 

Jongin shivers.

 

Quickly, he pulls on the post-it, and it comes loose.


 

He was just about to push his window back down, when suddenly, he hears a small sound from above.

 

“Achoo!”

 

-cough cough- -cough-

 

Kim Jongin immediately blurts out loud, “Bless you.”

 

Then, there is a yelp and a flurry of panicking movement before Kim Jongin hears a loud slam of a window.

 

His eyes widen and he quickly covers his mouth in shock.

 

“W-was that Do Kyungsoo? W-whoa…”

 

He stands there in shock.

 

The wind blows again, and Jongin shudders. He pushes down the window slowly, and takes a seat on his bed.

 

“...Is that the first time I really talked to Do Kyungsoo?” he wonders out loud in disbelief.

 

He feels a restless spark of thrill and nervous excitement.

 

Dear Jonggie

 

Winter is here already! T_T It’s too cold. The only good thing about winter is snow. Sometimes when I look outside when it’s snowing, I can only stare in wonder at this white covering that seems to blanket everything. It’s not afraid of landing on the cars or on the dangerous windowsill 60 stories up in the air. If I was a snowflake falling down from the sky, I want to land on the ground on top of millions of other snowflakes. I want to be a snowflake that gets clumped into other snowflakes by little hands to form a round ball. I want to be a snowflake that never gets dirty. No! I don’t want to be a dirty snowflake!

Kim Jongin, be safe and wear warm clothes!!

 

Do Kyungsoo


 

Kim Jongin laughs, his eyes twinkling.

 

He curiously wonders what it will be like to have a snowball fight with Do Kyungsoo.

 

Kim Jongin would be trying to catch Do Kyungsoo and throw snow in his hair, while Do Kyungsoo would be screaming, “STOP IT. I TOLD YOU, STOP IT.”

 

Then when Kim Jongin least expects it, Do Kyungsoo would drop a snowball down the back of his shirt. And while Kim Jongin is squirming and shouting, Do Kyungsoo would be laughing, crouched on the floor, until his stomach aches in pain.

 

Wait, what if they built a snow fort together?

 

Jongin groans in frustration.

 

He shakes his head to get rid of all this confusion, and he places the pink post-it on top of the others in his drawer.

 

As he gets ready to go to work, he remembers Kyungsoo’s sneeze this morning.

 

Kim Jongin pauses and a faint wrinkle comes between his eyebrows.

 

Then, he makes a mental note to stop by the pharmacy after work.









 

Do Kyungsoo slams down the window and jumps straight into bed, under his blankets.

 

He closes his eyes and shudders from the cold.


 

“AIISHH. PABO! KYUNGSOO, YOU PABO!”

Yet he couldn’t help but clutch his blankets and marvel at how close they were to actually speaking with each other.  

 

At the thought of that, his heart races faster.  

 

But to actually hear Kim Jongin’s voice directed at him…

 

“KYUNGSOO, STOP IT,” he whispers loudly to himself in embarrassment.


 

A few hours later, Kyungsoo feels absolutely terrible.

 

Every few minutes or so, Kyungsoo scrunches up his face and sneezes. His nose is stuffed, and his eyes are red.

 

But Do Kyungsoo only buries himself further in the wild tangle of blankets and pillows, and he lies there, silently suffering.

 

He finds himself nodding off into a fitful sleep.

 

When he wakes up much later, Kyungsoo gasps in sudden alarm.

 

“Jongin!”

 

He jumps out of bed, his condition completely forgotten.

Kyungsoo hurries to his window, still in his pajamas.

 

He lifts the window and climbs out, only to trip over the cardboard box half scattered in snowflakes on his fire escape.

 

There is a post-it on the top.

 

Dear Kyunggie

 

Wear this and stay warm. Don’t get sick again, or I might have to come upstairs and scold you.

 

Just kidding,

Kim Jongin


 

Kyungsoo stares in surprise.

 

This is the first time he’s ever received a note from Kim Jongin on the 7th floor.

 

But a cold wind and violent sneezes interrupt his thoughts, and he carries the box back into his apartment.


 

Kyungsoo opens the box slowly, and he peeks inside curiously.



 

Lying on top of a pink fluffy parka, there is a small container of medication for cold and a soft pink scarf.


 

Kyungsoo’s jaw drops.

 

Something strangely wet drips down his cheek and lands on the scarf.

 

Suddenly, they fall faster and faster, in streams and rivers, and Kyungsoo finds himself kneeling on the floor, crying uncontrollably in silence.

 

Yes, it felt extremely good.

 

It felt so good that Kyungsoo wanted to stay in the same spot forever and ever, like one of his drawings that captured a timeless moment.

 

But, he also felt, underneath it, a thick layer of indescribable pain.

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t lie to himself any longer.

 

What he felt for Kim Jongin was as wide as the sky, as deep as the sea, as long as a lifetime, and not only that, but…

 

onesided.





 


ANDDDD, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:

 

Preview for the next chapter…

 

~

 

“All he knew was that he had to go home.

 

Soon.

 

But, he finds his hand getting pulled and he follows reluctantly, like an obedient little boy.”

 

~

 

“Nevertheless, he feels a bit let down. Disappointed. Betrayed.

 

There are only two possibilities to why Kim Jongin hasn’t answered.

One. Kim Jongin forgot.

Two. Kim Jongin didn’t come home last night.

 

~

 

“There is a sigh of relief.

 

His muscles relax.


 

But then, Kim Jongin freezes and his breathing hitches.

 

There is something wrong.“

 

~

 

“The door swings open, and Kim Jongin looks up timidly and with a hint of apprehension, into two large peering eyes.”


~

-insert exciting theme music-

tbh, it's been a very busy month for me T_T hence the late updates

But I think it'll be better now...

THANK YOU. I LOVE YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH. <3

COMMENTS AND UPVOTES ARE LOVED AND TREASURED!~

(happy friday :3)