Final

Pink Parallel Notes

Kyungsoo slumps over on the bed, after the realization that Jongin had left,  murmuring a undecipherable thought that was emphasized by the clear silence sounding from the door.

 

No, he wasn't really gone. Jongin wouldn't leave him like that; Kyungsoo has learned that over the long course of his many experiences.

 

Kyungsoo absentmindedly follows the second hand  as it sneaks past the bolded 12 etched into the clock's face. But Jongin still fails to appear, and Kyungsoo can see now that he's holding onto a forgotten memory.

 

But pathetic as it was, Kyungsoo finds that Jongin had been the epitome of the reason he wished to change himself so radically. And when Jongin comes back to spite him for wishing that he be noticed, it was unfair.

 

Why didn't Jongin just--

 

He brings his fist down onto the mattress, eyebrows knitted with a moment of unspoken frustration at the situation.

 

But if Jongin had given up, what could Kyungsoo do? That's right, he was helpless.

 

Smiling bitterly, He thinks the thought comes with a finality.

 

He lies on the warm sheets, staring blankly towards the washed-out white ceiling.

 

Was this how square one had felt like? Contemplating the value of what he had to live for?

 

He turned over on to his side, the late afternoon glow emanating from the window, capturing the imminent teardrops in eyes. He wondered briefly about the security and peace he once had submerged his life into on the fire escape.

 

Would it still feel the same?

 

He crept over to the window on uncertain steps, his hands resting on the windowsill.

 

He knew all too well what his current predicament was like, peeling open his eyelids in the morning to the low contralto drones of routine, drawing lives he thought he would never live.

 

Kyungsoo knew with no doubt that he never wanted to go back to the before.

 

He finally lifts the heavy pane, before stepping out into the dwindling sunlight.

 

All he wanted was him back, so badly. But the feeling was simply not mutual.

 

But it had once been, Kyungsoo reasoned.

 

And, Kyungsoo was not the same exact person as he once was, wasn't he? Why couldn't he take action for his own desires with Jongin? There was no reason not to.

 

Kyungsoo admitted, he was afraid. He was faltering at the edge, deciding whether or not he wanted to jump.

 

But how could he cross without even trying to jump?

 

Kyungsoo decided that he would. For all those times he thought he couldn't, he would.

 

He closed his eyes and descended the stairs with a confidence he wished he had always had.

 

Even if Jongin said he didn't want him or he disliked him or hated him, Kyungsoo was going to give it his all.

 

 

 

Jongin jogged hesitantly at first. But as he drew nearer to the elevators located in the junction of the hallways, his footsteps grew more urgent in their quest. He pressed the down button with more fervor than was quite necessary, surprising even himself.

 

To be very honest to himself, Jongin was unsure of what road he wanted to take with Kyungsoo. All he knew at the current moment was that he wanted to see him again, to see what had been such a big part of his life. Two years weren't a lot, but Jongin had felt that he had matured.

 

He had forgotten what the feeling of youth had been, underneath the glamor of five-hour lectures and thirty page essays in college, alongside partial management of the company.

 

The lift was still paused on the third floor, the gleaming red number blinking tauntingly on the steel palate. Jongin struck the button a few more times, in mild frustration, before heading towards the stairs, not without letting out a few harsh words of profanity, of course.

 

But really, Jongin was perched on uncertainty.

 

That was changing, and it was occurring at that very moment.

 

As Jongin pushed open the doors of the stairway into the familiar lobby of the sixth floor, Jongin was flooded with images of what he had once considered his life.

 

There he was. He could see his two year younger self stepping out of the elevator doors, trotting down the hallway towards his apartment with a dreamy smile curving his lips, courtesy of Kyungsoo with no doubt.

 

He watched himself reach into his back pocket, fumbling with his set of keys before swiftly unlocking his apartment door and stepping inside.

 

Then, he would fool around and do a little chores, before promptly at 8, pull out a fresh post it from his pack of green ones or blue (depending on his state of mind) and convey his thoughts to  the secret man who lived upstairs. Not that what he wrote exactly mattered, but rather, responding to a note that did. And without knowing it, he had fallen in love with the mysterious resident of the seventh floor apartment above his.

 

Jongin could see himself in the latter time of their relationship, throwing off his jacket onto the couch and tossing his workbag onto the floor to lift the window sill and join Kyungsoo on the sixth floor.

 

He seemed obsessed, Jongin admitted. But it was such a benevolent obsession. The endless supply of weightless happiness and love, yet at the same time, a relationship built upon each others flaws.

 

He had found what he had needed long ago.

 

Why more could he possibly ask for?

 

Jongin realizes this as he approaches his former apartment's door.

 

That's right. Jongin was going to win Kyungsoo back, whether or not he wanted to see him.

 

With that, Jongin knocks firmly on the apartment door. Though he had not quite anticipated the sight of a unruly head peering out at him with the squinted lids of a sleep-deprived man.

 

"You don't look like my Uncle Luhan," he muttered uneasily, reaching out with eager fingers to touch Jongin, who revolted uncharacteristically.

 

Jongin's eyes rounded in disbelief. He couldn't believe this was the type of man residing in his former space at the moment, and he was not in the least bit excited to see the bulk of it either.  "Actually, I just need to borrow your window. I'm not Luhun, or whoever your uncle is."

 

Yixing's lips formed a little 'o' and nodded. "Sorry, I'm not exactly in my right mind at the moment. I'm Yixing!" (He sticks his hand out proudly, to which Jongin responds suspiciously at his queer change of mood.) "What's your name, and what do you want to do with my window? It doesn't have that great of a view if you're planning to take some pictures. I was a photographer for a while two months ago, I'm a scientist now, by the way, and the pictures you can take by my window aren't too good of quality." Yixing pauses, guaging Jongin's look on his face. Oblivious to the fact that impatience was the emotion he was watching, he was about to launch into his monologue concerning saturation and negativity in his photographs, when Jongin simply pushed Yixing aside and walked through the living room into the dormitory, where a huge bookcase was obstructing the window.

 

"Yixing!"

"What?"

Jongin closed his eyes to inhale and exhale slowly. "How could you think of putting a bookshelf in front of the window?"

"There's a window there?"

 

Jongin glared at him sullenly.

 

But this was all besides the point, and Jongin knew why he was here. He eased the looming assembly of wooden panels and bonded papers away, until the opening revealed an extremely dusty window sill, which Jongin wiped away as quickly as possible with a soiled rag Yixing offered him.

 

This was it. He was going to try again, even if Kyungsoo refused with stern resolute. After all, it had begun on the wrong foot.

 

Where was Jongin when Kyungsoo had first slapped on a post it on his window pane?

 

Where was Jongin when Kyungsoo first opened the door?

 

Where was Jongin when Kyungsoo first revealed himself?

 

He was there, yet he had never taken the initiative, like he should've. This time, Jongin was going to go to Kyungsoo. He was going to meet him there halfway.

 

Jongin clenched his fingers on the fire escape banister. His footsteps brought him higher and higher with every ascension, until they were matching, eyes searing into each other.

 

And they met in the middle.

 

 

 

"It'll be different this time, I promise. I wont hold myself back."

 

"I'm stronger now, and I promise I won't be so dependent on you next time."

 

Their faces broke down, revealing crumbled dreams and hopeless fears. Inside, a familiar feeling had settled down once again; it was the beginnings of returned love, and it seemed almost too good to be true.

 

"It was a long two years," Jongin smiled wistfully, before pulling Kyungsoo into a passionate lip lock, to which he started in bewilderment.

 

"Why? What-- that was so random!" Kyungsoo rambled, flustered with splotched red cheeks.

 

Jongin ducked his head, grinning sheepishly. "It was always part of my daydreams to kiss you in the rain."

 

Kyungsoo blushed, eyes darting away and exclaiming, "But it isn't raining!"

 

Jongin caught the hem of his jacket, bringing Kyungsoo a bit closer.

 

"Yes it is! It's drizzling." Jongin insisted good-naturedly, extending his fingers to the above. With hesitance, Kyungsoo did the same, bringing his hands out towards the heart of the shaded skies, before marveling in wonder, "It is."

 

"Now I can cross that off," Jongin's lips hinted a slight smile, and Kyungsoo laughed.

 

"I'm sure there'll be more to cross off very soon."

 

And there they stood, hearts outreached towards each other, as the sweet drizzle fell like tears, grazing city tops and chasing the worse moments away, while welcoming the potential to come.


Hey guys, it's definitely been a while, and I'm SO THANKFUL to those of you who have stuck around. It's been a hell of a ride! But ladies and gentlemen,

Thank you, and I love you so very much. /throws kisses (Hershey kisses, mind you. Just kidding.) 

So sorry if this chapter was unsatisfying, it was really... figurative? In a way?

This is the final chapter to my first ever finished fanfiction, and I have to say, although it could've been better in a MILLIONNNNN ways, I'm glad to have finished it because that is the first step to better. I have to say, though, THIS WILL BE THE FIRST AND ONLY FANFIC that I will ever attempt to write such a disgustingly romantic story. Never again, guys. I'm sorry to all those who also flinched and revolted at the words, but if you did enjoy it, that's really great. I guess it's just that I'm really attracted to these kinds of quirky characters, not that they're even unique anymore.

What I've discovered is that I'm way. way. way. better at crack. No more of this chaptered stuff! I know you guys hate me for this on and off hiatus. Well, I'll bring you drabbles in my next fic. So you won't kill yourselves over a story. PLEASE DO CHECK IT OUT. I'LL LINK IT IN THE EPILOGUE.

AND YES, YOU DID SEE THAT. There will be an EPILOGUE guys, in which Yixing will be taking a huge part of. (There is a reason why i dedicated that paragraph to him.) So this is not the end!

I'll see you guys very soon.

THANKS AGAIN! Now it's on to the epilogue.