One

Pink Parallel Notes

Do Kyungsoo wakes up at 6:30AM today, like he always does.

 

Then, he stays in bed and lies there until he sees the first light of dawn peek through his light blue curtains.

 

“It’s going to be different today.”

 

Do Kyungsoo tells himself this every morning.

 

But nothing ever changes. Do Kyungsoo never leaves his apartment building, and he never speaks to anyone else.

 

After that, he quietly crawls out of bed. Grabbing the sketchbook and the sharpened pencil he left on his desk every night, Do Kyungsoo pulls up the window. A blast of fresh air surges through the dark room. His hair flutters.

 

Still in his pajamas, Do Kyungsoo sticks one foot through the window and steps out.

 

The red paint on the fire escape is dark and peeling, but he sits where he usually does, with his legs between the bars, swinging in mid air.

 

Perhaps this is the only place Do Kyungsoo truly felt happy and at ease.

 

Seven stories below him, people are beginning to stir on the streets of Seoul. He watches as men and women hurry off to work on a busy Monday morning.

 

Finally, his pencil lowers on to the smooth blank paper in a soft kiss, and he begins to draw the outline of a man in black holding a cup of coffee.









 

Briiing briiing--

 

A tan hand with slender fingers slams on the alarm clock.

 

Kim Jongin yawns and stretches, the brown wisps of his hair tangled in a hot mess. Then, the memory of last night’s stunt comes rushing back to him. His eyes pop open and he sits up in a flash.

 

All around him, his property sits in messy, brown, taped-up boxes marked with black sharpie.

 

He groans. So he really did get into another full-blown argument last night with his parents and move out.

 

Well then, today is unpacking day...precisely why Jongin purposely took a whole day off and woke up at 8AM.

 

He throws off the blanket and stumbles to his feet.

 

A moment later, Jongin is crouched down on the floor. In his right hand, he holds a box cutter.


 

In forty-five minutes, Jongin has finally unpacked all of his clothes.

 

He stands in front of a box with “kitchen clutter” scrawled in a hurry on top. Jongin lifts the heavy box carefully and makes his way towards the kitchen, but his foot isn’t familiar with the uneven flooring where the door was.

 

Kim Jongin crashes to the floor.

 

He lies there in surprise because Jongin isn’t the clumsy type of person. In fact, he’s quite the opposite.

 

He sighs because he knows that the fragile dishes and cups in the box are all cracked now.








 

Do Kyungsoo flinches, and the pencil slips through his fingers, falling through the fire escape and flailing in mid-air as it plummets towards the ground.

 

He’s not upset, just surprised.

 

Kyungsoo carefully places the sketchbook next to him and stands up.

 

This is the first time he’s going to try this.

 

He places one foot on the step.

 

Do Kyungsoo feels this exhilarating thrill rush through him. He couldn’t remember how long it was ago since he left his comfort zone. It was as if he had flipped the page of a children’s book, and one day, Cinderella was going to leave her rags and go to Prince Charming’s ball. He plays shyly with the new feeling of curiosity and excitement. And suddenly, on a note of courage, he finds himself stepping further down, descending the stairs on the fire escape, to find the origin of the loud crash.  




 

Do Kyungsoo wonders if looking through someone else’s apartment was like looking into an entirely new world.


 

He leans closer towards the window, and a tall man wearing a worn white T-shirt and red boxers comes into his view, between the panel of shades.   

 

This stranger had gentle brown hair, the type that Kyungsoo knows would feel like velvet if he it.

 

And his eyes. Kyungsoo never saw such eyes that managed to be mysterious yet powerful.

 

He watches, in fascination, as the young man kicked a box that rattled like broken glass and china in frustration. The man picked up the box and left.

 

He was back after a moment, and the box was no longer in his hands.

 

The man continues to unpack his cardboard boxes.




 

Do Kyungsoo doesn’t know how long he has been sitting there staring at the man with fluffy hair.

 

It was probably 9 to 10 at night at the moment, and he hasn’t even eaten yet.

 

And, finally, the mysterious man has finished unpacking all of his boxes. They sit on the floor, desolate, when their contents had been emptied out.

 

But, Kyungsoo wants to see what he would do next.  

 

The man turns on the radio to full volume.

 

Then, he begins to move his body, twisting and turning, dancing to the beat of the music.


 

Just like that, Kyungsoo is struck by the beauty he sees. He has never, absolutely never, seen anything similar to it.

He felt as if someone had flicked the light switch, and the dark room inside of him is flooded in white luminous light.

 

He watches the transformation of a human to pure movement and flow within the dance steps.

There is something magical in the way the young man portrays the melody that Kyungsoo couldn’t even hear.

 

He feels a strange and foreign creature seep into the cracks of his heart.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know who this man is, but at this moment, he finds himself wanting to know more.


 

The next morning, at 6:30AM, Do Kyungsoo pulls open the top drawer at his desk. He peels off a fresh and crisp post-it note from a thick block, and on the back, he scribbles in tiny neat letters:

 

To the man that lives on the sixth floor,

 

Hello… My name is Do Kyungsoo. I live on the seventh floor. I kind of have a question for you. Well, two actually. First, if I may ask, what was the song that you were dancing to last night? My second question is a bit personal... but I guess I’ll be brave this time. I was wondering, what’s your name?

 

                                     Sincerely,
                                    Do Kyungsoo


 

Kyungsoo stuck this in the center of his window, parallel to the floor and walls.

 

As he turns back to climb the stairs, Kyungsoo looks back, and an angelic smile flickers across his face..

 

“It really is going to be the start of something new.”

 

 


Kyungsoo seems a bit creepy, LOL

stalker level: D.O KYUNGSOO

leave a comment below?? :)