One - First Encounters

Poison

Hey guys! New story here~~ Please take the time to read it, and let me know if you like it? Your comments are a big factor why I get the energy to update and continue, so they are greatly appreciated. Gomawo in advance~!

 


 

“Name?”

 

I cleared my throat, trying to get rid of the lump that seemed to have been brought out by my nervousness. “Sera, Ryu Sera, ma’am.” I enunciated, making sure my tone was respectful enough. I shifted in my seat, making sure my back was straight and I was presentable enough.

 

“And you graduated from Seoul National University, yes? Majored in.. Hm..” The lady from across the room behind the gray table tapped her ballpen as she scanned through my resumé. She pushed her eye glasses up her nose as she looked up at me again. “In Business Administration, correct?”

 

I nodded obediently, “Yes, that is right. I was a scholar, ma’am.” I said and took in another big gulp, I never thought that applying for jobs could be this frightening, not to mention cut-throat.

 

There was another long pause, the silence made me feel uncomfortable. I looked around the small room I was in, there was only one small window at the corner of one of the walls, and it made me feel as if I’m undergoing some kind of police interrogation.

 

“Well you should know, Miss Sera...” Her stern voice urged me to look back at her, “We here at CGC do not hire just about anyone, most especially when you’re applying for the position of the executive secretary. I am informing you now, that you are up against 100 other candidates. So tell me, what makes you special?” She raised her eyebrow questioningly.

 

I took a few seconds to think about my answer, ah heck, just answer her straight from the heart, Sera. “Ah, well for one, I’ve always been hardworking. I not only had to put myself through college, I had to pay for all my living expenses- and I’ve been doing so since the tender age of 18, ma’am. I’m a fast learner, I strive for excellence and as you can see from my transcript of records, I’m a smart girl.” I smiled earnestly once I finished speaking, hoping I could convince her.

 

The lady pursed her lips in a tight line, she stared at me with curious eyes and nodded once. “Well, I think that’s all for today Miss. Thank you, and we’ll be in touch if we’re in need of your services.” She says with a tone hinting finality.

 

Standing up from my seat, I did a 90 degree bow before fixing my pencil skirt. “Thank you as well, ma’am.” I said, pivoting around and heading for the door, breathing a sigh of relief once I was out.

 

---

 

A shriek was what I heard from the other end of the receiver of my phone, I had made a phone call while going down to the lobby area of the CGC office.  “Omo! Jinjja? That happened? Uwah that sounds nerve-wracking as hell, Sera!” Kyungri, my best friend spoke.

 

“Ne, it really was. Aigoo I don’t think I’ll get it, girl.” I said, sighing exasperatingly.

 

“Aish, just have faith! And plus, you’re super smart!”

 

I rolled my eyes, “Most of us have to be smart if we want good jobs, Kyungie. Not all of us are born heiresses.” I said teasingly, laughing softly.

 

“Yah! It’s not my fault I was born into this family, aish.” She replies, giggling as well. “I’ll pick you up later okay? We’re going out for drinks to celebrate your employment~ Whoo!” Kyungri cheered, and I could almost imagine her raise her hands in excitement.

 

I exit the revolving doors of the huge building and stood by the pedestrian lane, waiting for the green light as I fished out my bus transportation card from my purse. “Who can ever say no to you, Park Kyungri?” I say while taking a step forward, the green light from the pedestrian turning on.

 

“I know right, No one ca--” Kyungri’s words got overpowered by a screeching sound, my eyes widened as the car who was trying to speed through the red light stopped just inches from hitting my leg.

 

“Yah!” I screamed over at the car, whacking my purse on the hood. I didn’t care that it was a luxury car- a black Ferrari to be exact, but something might have happened to me. “Are you colorblind or something?! It said red! I could have died!” I shouted at the top of my lungs, I’m very opinionated, and I don’t just back down to anyone so this shouting and aggressive behavior is just normal for me.

 

The driver seat swung open and out came a tall, god-like looking man with a pronounced jawline and ivory skin. It was like the sun’s rays focused on him, making a natural spotlight. I froze in my place and stared. He was wearing black aviators, a white linen shirt with a black tie and a leather jacket. His deep baritone voice caught me by surprise as he grinned, “Maybe if you weren’t busy talking on your phone, you could have seen me, ne miss?” He says smugly.

 

This jerk!!!

 

I glare at him, “It was my turn to cross the street, got it? I wonder how you passed driver’s education, mister. It’s obvious you don’t know road rules.”

 

“And you, kitten, don’t know pedestrian rules.” He grinned once more.

 

Wow, something about the way he said ‘kitten’ made me shuffle in my place uncomfortably, I open my mouth, getting ready to say something before another tall man appeared from the front door of the CGC building, “Sir! Is there any problem?”

 

I shift my eyes over to the man, he was wearing a suit and a badge that read head of security.

 

“Nothing, Zhou Mi. It’s nothing, this little lady here was just giving me a piece of her mind. And I must say, it was quite enjoyable. Made my morning, really. Thank you, kitten.” He says, bowing his head in a sarcastic manner and throwing the Ferrari’s keys to the head of security. “Park the car for me, will you? I’m late for a meeting. Hope to see you around.. Miss?” He asks me, taking off his sunglasses.

 

“S-s-” I stuttered the minute our eyes locked, his piercing eyes made me feel like he could see through my soul. I froze, forgetting my own name. Damn it, say something! My brain scolded me, but my body couldn’t process it.

 

And so I did the weirdest thing ever- I ran. I ran for my life in five inch heels and didn’t look back. I don’t know why I did, nor why I was rendered speechless but it happened. I quickly swiped my transportation card and flopped to the first empty seat in the bus. What the eff just happened to me.. Aishhht!  I thought, flailing my hands and slapping my palm on my forehead repeatedly. Opening my eyes, I saw the ahjummas around me looking at me weirdly and I don’t blame them one bit. I flashed an apologetic smile and crossed my arms, hoping I don’t embarrass myself further, at least until I get home.

 

---

 

I typed in my passcode for my front door lazily, groaning every now and then when the events that took place in the morning flash through my head. Stepping out of my heels, I entered my one bedroom apartment, hoping a glass of water would effectively make me forget about what happened.

 

But as I neared the kitchen, someone from behind the counter jumped and startled me. “Omonaaaa~!” I squealed, taking a few steps back as I place my hands on my chest.

 

It was none other than my ratchet best friend, she was sporting a toothy grin and pointing at me while laughing. “Ahaha! Got you there, girl!” She continued to laugh and jogged up to her with tiny steps, striking her shoulder playfully.

 

“Yah! Don’t do that to me aish.. I regret giving you my passcode.” I huffed, sticking my tongue out at her.

 

“And I regret ever letting you live in this place.. Seriously, Serbear, you could just live with me. You know that right? My parents are never home, and we can lounge around by the pool, drinking Cosmopolitans the whole day!”

 

I raised an eyebrow at her as I took out a bottle of water my fridge, “I happen to be proud that I am living here. Remember during college? I rented a bedspace, a bed. space. Mind you. And I’ve saved up for this apartment with all the part-time jobs I did. Unlike you, miss spoiled Princess who has lived in her palace like estate since she was born.” I joked, flicking her forehead, earning an ‘ow’ from her.

 

Walking to the couch, I picked up the morning paper mindlessly and scanned the front page.

 

I almost choked on water upon seeing the picture and upon reading the headline.

 

“Choi Group of Companies prodigal heir finally returns, filling in for his ailing father.”

 

“It’s.. It’s him.. The man in the black ferrari..” I murmured, my face had shocked written all over it, eyes and mouth wide open and everything.

 

Kyungri sat beside me and chuckled once, eyeing the front page as well, “Ne, that’s Choi Seunghyun. The heir to CGC and wait a minute..” She paused, shifting her gaze to me. “You don’t know him? You applied to a company you know nothing about? And.. black ferrari? You met him?”

 

“I.. I...” I was still in a state of stupefaction. “I know CEO Choi of course, I m-mean who doesn’t.. But.. But him..” I said, focusing on the picture. The jawline and the eyes showed that it was undeniably him who I met this morning, “I met him, he almost ran over me and I shouted, made a scene and everything.”

 

Kyungri giggled, “So let me get this straight, you shouted at your future boss? Ahaha.. Oh that is priceless. Aigoo Serbear, you are a funny one. Everyone knows CEO Choi has a handsome as hell son, and yes, that is him. I met him once in a gala, he is.. Well, he’s perfect. Except for the fact that he was with three different girls that night.” She explained matter-of-factly.

 

I gulped hard, that explained everything.

 

“Well like you said, you’re not entirely sure you’ll get the job, right? So it’s fine. Don’t worry about it. Haha, come on, let’s get you ready for our girls night out eh? Don’t think about work first..” She says, yanking the paper from my hands and patting my head.

 

She’s right.. I shouldn’t overthink this, I mean, I’m probably not going to get the job.

 

I most certainly hope not.