Only Look At Me

Tonight I'm Afraid Of The Dark

It was about time when Minji started feeling her heart melt when Jiyoung patted her shoulder and brought her back to earth. Chaerin held Jenny’s hand from underneath the table. She needed her warmth.   Chaerin was feeling tired more than ever. The vibe was totally weird and everyone sensed it. “Do you want to go on a trip?” asked Seunghyun.

“That sounds nice...”

“Let me check if my father needs his yacht this afternoon!” smiled Jenny.

“Yeah!!” everyone cheered.

Jenny’s father said he’ll be more than happy to let them use his yacht though he insisted on sending the crew with them even though Seunghyun mentioned his pro skills and everyone laughed at that.

“It’s time to go home and get ready then.”

“Maybe we should take some snacks with us, don’t you agree?”

“Of course, Jenny is the one to mention food.” Noticed Jiyoung.

Jenny slapped Jiyoung’s arm playfully and everyone laughed so hard. “You know, when we were in high school, Jenny used to drag me with her to the store nearby during every break and she would buy food or make me buy that for her. She loves corn and watermelon flavored things.”

“Yah! Jiyoung-ah! What are you saying?!” screamed Jenny.

“Your history, miss Jenny Park.” Jiyoung wiggled his eyebrows and flashed Jenny with his gummy smile.

“I’ll kill you..” stuttered Jennifer.

 

 

 

By 3 pm everyone was ready for the trip. Right before getting on the fancy yacht with some classy design, Jenny noticed that Chaerin is a bit pale. She held her close and asked her what’s wrong and right before she says anything Minji mumbled “she is terrified from deep water. The deeper the water is, the deeper her anxiety gets.” And without even knowing, she walked towards Chaerin, she her hair behind her right ear, caressed her cheek and said with a soothing voice “don’t worry, cl-roo. You’re safe with us. It’s safe, don’t worry.

Chaerin was blushing and Jenny didn’t know what to do but watch, same was for everyone else.  No one dared to break the moment. It was beautiful. The way Chaerin instantly calmed down thanks to Minji’s touch. The stares they exchanged. Their breath slowing down. The buried feelings. The deep denied feelings that no words could come to explain.  “Minji..” whispered Chae. “hum?”

“why did you?” muttered the latter.

“It was a mistake. A huge mistake. I didn’t know.”

“You didn’t know what, exactly? That you had a girlfriend? That I existed? That when in a relationship you are not allowed to someone other than your significant other?” yelled Chaerin.

Tears were running down Minji’s cheeks. “What’s that you didn’t know?”

Minji looked up and their eyes met again. “Yes?” she asked again.

“The night before..” mumbled Minji. “The night before, you were supposed to come to the bar where we usually meet. You didn’t show up. We were supposed to spend the night together. You didn’t call. I was worried..”

“That’s why you screwed him?”

“What’s the point from talking if you’re not gonna listen?”

“Uh, my bad. Keep going.”

“Mina called me around 1 am..” Minji continued. “Mina?” Exclaimed Chaerin.

“Yes! Mina. She said and I quote “Minji-ah! Are you waiting for Chaerin? Well.. it has been so long since she wanted to tell you this but she didn’t know how.. and she really wanted me to tell you this right before she leaves with Seungyoon..”

“Seungyoon?!!!” asked Chaerin almost yelling. Minji nodded “yeah.. she said “Chaerin feels sorry for you that’s why she hasn’t been able to tell express her desire to break up with you. That’s what I’m telling you this. Chaerin really wants to break up with you and she told me to make sure you know that she doesn’t want you to call her again..”

Chaerin was so shocked. “What did you expect me to do? The person I wanted the most, I needed the most, I trusted and appreciated the most..” she stepped forward and added “I loved the most, didn’t want me anymore.. I drank all night. By 5, I was able to see rainbows and dragons. The chairs were moving. Everything was moving and I wanted all to stop. I pressed a random number from my contacts list and begged the guy to come and drive me to my apartment. The same way I trusted you, I trusted him. I was wrong again. He used my weakness. No need to explain the rest. You know what happened.”

Chaerin stood speechless. She wanted to rip her heart and cry tears of blood. She felt every drop of blood in her veins want to hurt her, hurt the guy. She wished she could just vanish in the large space. She was angry, hurt and ashamed. She wanted to die.

 

Both Chaerin and Minji were crying. Jenny sat on the floor speechless. Jiyoung was about to hug Minji when Chaerin pulled her to her embrace. She was crying and mumbling the words “I’m sorry” again and again.

Everything she held inside the past few years was based on lies and wrong assumptions.

If she didn’t react that carelessly. If she didn’t act like a child. If she tried to listen instead of disappearing for weeks and then leaving the country. If she paid attention to what her heart said. She hugged Minji tighter and cried harder. Minji wrapped Chaerin’s waist and whispered “I would never do that to you. You didn’t even give me a chance to explain.”

“I’m sorry..” sobbed Chaerin. “I’m sorry..I was blinded by anger. I felt left down and broken. I despised what I witnessed. It hurts. It still hurts bad.”