At Fifth Sound

At First Sound

News

The Ice Princess has officially released her album. As expected of the Ice Princess, her title song, Almost is a soft ballad, singing of a broken heart with deep regrets. The song had been placed first on the Gaon charts, Hanteo charts, Melon charts the first hour it had been released. This has further confirmed the popularity of the Ice Princess.

As all of us know, the Ice Princess indeed possesses a sweet and alluring voice, which is able to hypnotize most people and her current album has also certified it. However, unlike her voice, the Ice Princess has not revealed her face. Even the music video that was released were simply images dark shadows highlighting the slim figure of the Ice Princess or a veil covering her facial features with an occasional peep of her lips as she sang.

Despite those kissable lips, speculations were that the Ice Princess probably has a hideous face, as contrary to her sweet voice while others believed that the Ice Princess was just flawless and beautiful. As many tried to search relentlessly for clues of the hidden face, there were also others did not care, simply enjoying the mysterious vibe that the Ice Princess was giving out.

NewsToday had contacted the spokesperson for the company, who said that the Ice Princess would be charming the public with her voice. Whether or not she will reveal her face to the public would be entirely decided by her, but as for now, she will go with the mysterious look.

With her debut in the music industry, it has been confirmed that the Ice Princess would be part of the line-up for various music shows during the week, but the hot topic that most netizens have been focusing on was how will she bring on this live performance? Stay tune to find out as NewsToday keep you updated on the latest news of Ice Princess.

---

Tiffany mindlessly scrubbed the counter as she listened to the news. Even the news of her favorite Ice Princess did not manage to catch her attention. It was nearly closing time for the cafe, yet there was still no Jessica, just as it was for the past few days.

Since their 'date' at a small restaurant, they had not been meeting up, or rather, Jessica seemed to have disappeared completely, vanished into the air. There was no news, no text messages, no phone calls at all. As much as Tiffany did not want to over think about the disappearance, she could not help but felt as though she had been fooled.

Thinking back to the interactions between Jessica and the Kim sisters, the former had managed to attract Tiffany with a side of her that was previously unknown. Though the so-called 'date' was awkward, she had thought they could at least be friends or was it more than friends? But with the recent disappearance, all good thoughts of the girl had disappeared. Perhaps they might be better off as strangers who occasionally talked.

---

Lying with her back against the chair, Jessica sighed as she closed her eyes. Singing, it was harder than she thought. No doubt, she loved songs, loved listening and humming to them, but to sing professionally, it was just a totally different thing. The emotions, the belting of high notes, the controlling of her pitch, the breathing, the producing of the notes from her diaphragm... There was just too much to take note. The only thing that she was thankful of was that at least she did not have to control her facial expression, apart from probably her lips. If she had to perform on stage and had to take note how her eyes, her lips, her nostrils look, she did rather be dead than to stand on the stage.

There were times she felt like giving up on that path of career. However, she shrugged it off almost immediately, recalling how idol singers in her company had to endure a variety of schedules from talk shows, variety shows, radio shows and even acting apart from their usual singing and dancing. What she was doing was almost nothing as compared to them.

Slowly, as her mind drifted off, she was brought back to the night where she had a 'date' with that barista from Bunny's cafe. Smiling slightly at the awkwardness they had to endure throughout, she wondered if there was any chance of seeing her soon. It would be tough to find time given that she had to practice singing constantly and hosting for the radio. Apart from schedules, her company had high expectations given her popularity for her voice and Jessica, being a responsible person was determined to at least get through the first promotion, though sometimes she wondered if she would be able to get some rest, to at least drop by a cafe to have a cup of coffee, or maybe listen to the husky voice talk. Thinking about that brought a smile to her face.

"What's with that smile?" Her thoughts were broken by a familiar voice of her manager. However, before she could answer, her manager had interrupted her. "Please tell me that it is because of that cafe you usually go."

Frowning, Jessica looked up at her manager who had a cheeky smile on her face.

"What if it's a no?"

"No way it is a no. I have news that you have been going to this cafe, staying there from as short as fifteen to as long as an hour. The longest you have stayed was the whole afternoon when you were not on the afternoon radio. So care to tell me the reason why?"

"No reason. Just felt like going."

"Are you sure? Are you sure it's not because of a certain barista?"

"Why must it be a barista? Can't it be that I like the drinks there?"

"Right. Coffee. I heard they sell coffee only, and from what I know, Jessica Jung does not drink coffee."

"Erm... Well, they do have honey too." Jessica smiled, recalling the honey that that certain barista had made and forced her to drink. "Besides, I like the pastries too."

A nodding head from her manager and she propped a finger to her chin, thinking deeply.

"Hmm... I remembered Jessica Jung rejecting the bread I gave her yesterday morning when she was in a rush to go for a practice, saying that she did not like breads."

"That was just once."

"Right, and last week and the week before, as well as the month before. Time and again, I offered bread for her to fill her stomach, yet she refused to take it no matter how loud her stomach was growling." Jessica smiled a sheepish smile, caught red-handed by her manager. "Don't worry, my lips are sealed. Besides, I like it when my favorite artiste keeps her smile on her face. It will make my life easier I believe, this girlfriend of yours."

"Unnie!" Jessica squealed, before lowering her voice. "We are not girlfriends"

"Yet. Don't worry, I won't tell, but you have to fulfill your duties as a singer." Jessica groaned at the thought of her newest job. "It's not that bad, right?" Jessica could only sigh. Hearing her sigh, her manager chuckled. "Come'on. It's just your first album and you are sighing like this? Are you going to just release an album and then disappear from the music industry?"

Another sigh was heard.

"Gosh, Jessica. Please tell me that you are not planning this. The company has just given me a pay rise, and I'm so not going back to square one if you quit being a singer."

"Unnie. I'm just tired. I'm not going to quit. Yet."

The last word was said quietly, meant only for herself. Unfortunately, her manager had caught every single word.

"Jessica Jung. You are not and shall not quit. My salary has been the same for so long, and it's time for an increase and not a decrease."

"Yeah, but that's because you manage to pull me into the music industry when I clearly remembered saying no."

A sheepish smile appeared on her manager's face as she scratched the sudden itch behind her neck.

"But I'm pretty sure you are bored with just talking. Besides, you have such a nice voice, it would be a pity to not let it be known among the masses."

"Most people already know my voice. That's good enough."

"But not enough."

Another sigh was heard as an arm rose to cover her eyes in an attempt to block out any distraction, an indication to leave her alone. However, her manager seemed to pay no heed to her artiste.

"Besides, I know you like singing. A lot. I've heard you sing in the car while fetching you back and forth work. I have heard you singing along with the songs on the radio. You are talented, Jessica. It's a waste if you don't showcase your talents."

"But unnie, there are idol groups out there who are pretty, cute, smart and witty. They can sing and dance, show their charisma, iness, cuteness and many more."

"So what?" Her manager interrupted. "Our Jessica is also witty and smart. She can sing very well, speak very well, and the best is she is very pretty too. It's just that she doesn't like to be known to the world, that's all."

"Unnie, you know fully well why I don't."

"That's why it's a pity. Such beautiful face..."

Jessica gave a small smile as she faced her manager.

"Thanks Unnie."

"Don't thank me. Thank yourself." Her manager stood up and got ready to leave her. "Anyways, just so you know, many other managers have been talking behind me for getting paid for just scheduling a schedule, which is fixed, while all the other managers had to schedule thousand and one schedules. You know how hurtful it is to listen to those everyday?"

Jessica sighed as she sat up straight and faced her dearest manager, who had teary eyes.

"Unnie, I get it. If this goes well, I will continue to sing. If not, I shall remain with an afternoon slot on my schedule. If anybody dares to say anything bad about you, then they and their artistes will not come on my show. Okay?"

“Like you have artistes on your show in the first place.”

“Then I shall not play their songs at all.”

A smile came upon the manager's face as she lightly patted the head of the girl whom she had grown to love as a younger sister.

"Alright. Have a short rest and we shall resume practice. We will need to get you ready for your live performance. GO JESSICA!!"

A fighting pose from her manager earned laughter from the weary singer before the latter leaned back into her chair and closed her eyes, drifting off to a short nap soon after.

---

Time ticked by, seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into hours, yet a certain Jessica Jung had not arrived. Needless to say, it was getting on the young barista's nerves that there was no news from the very person she had been waiting for. Even when Ice Princess came on the 2pm afternoon radio slot that did not even catch her attention. Instead, Tiffany had found her eyes drifting towards the door, glancing at the clock every minute wondering why the clock was ticking so slowly that day.

Finally when the clock ticked half past five, Tiffany found herself staring at the door, wondering if the girl she was waiting for would arrive. Technically, she had not been at the cafe for the past five days, so whether she would arrive was still a question mark. Still, Tiffany found herself hoping.

The chimes on the door rang, signaling the entrance of customers. Eyes flew towards the door, hoping to see the familiar sunglasses or scarf that she had usually worn during the day. She caught sight of a flying black scarf; the very kind that Jessica would wear and prayed that it was the girl. Expectantly, it was. Even Tiffany herself was amazed at how well she had spotted Jessica despite the latter being bundled up as usual.

"Hi."

That was all she said before slumping into her seat. Tiffany stared at how casual the girl was and it had willed all her power to not interrogate the girl what she had been doing the past few days. After all, it was not like they were girlfriends. Technically, they went on a 'date' but that did not exactly mean anything right? But were they even friends to begin with? Thinking about that made Tiffany frowned in disappointment. Had she been over thinking that the former actually want something to do with her? Keeping her temper in check and in her best effort to not lash out at the tired-looking girl, Tiffany ignored her, attending to the customers who had just entered the cafe.

"Hey."

Tiffany's ears perked up, noting the cracked voice. What had this girl been doing all week for her voice to crack like that?

Frowning, Tiffany turned to face the girl. Despite the huge sunglasses, Tiffany noticed how her lips have cracked and how her skin had became pale. Wordlessly, she turned her back once more, her hands skillfully making a drink before placing in front of the girl.

"Honey."

Jessica nodded as she proceeded to gulp the drink down before placing the cup back on the table.

"What have you been doing all week?

Tiffany could not keep down her curiosity and popped the question. However, all she got was simply a shrug and a small smile. Frustrated with an empty answer, Tiffany was about to head to the kitchen to ignore the girl when a question stopped her.

"Will you be free this Friday?"

-TBC-