At Twelfth Sound

At First Sound

The door creaked open as two heads peeked in; the taller one with a blank look while the shorter furtively took glances around. Only when the place seemed void of all life and no one seemed to be in sight then the shorter and younger girl dared to push the door wider and entered, but still with her guards up. It was all well until a sudden shout caught her off guard.

"Kim Hyoyeon! Where have you been?"

The young girl literally jumped up in shock as she turned to face the voice. By the kitchen was her older sister looking quite stern as she stood with her hands on her hips.

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, slightly startled with her sudden appearance before turning her attention to Hyoyeon whom she caught giving her a pleading look. However, before the older girl could open , Taeyeon had continued with her scoldings.

"How many times have I told you not to run off by yourself? And when I went by your school, your teacher said your older sister had brought you home. So since when have you got another older sister apart from me? And since when have I got a younger sister that I don't know about?"

Hyoyeon could only stick out her tongue as she bowed down her head. Her older sister could be friendly and nice when she was in a dorky and good mood, but when she was not, it seemed the best idea to just keep mouths zipped.

"Kim Hyoyeon. Your teacher also told me about how you were bullying this particular girl, Yu-, Yu-li, is it?"

"Yuri." The youngest muttered under her breath.

"That's right. Yuri. How many times have I told you not to bother her? Just stick to whatever you usually do or I will have to ban you from dance classes."

Hearing the last sentence, a look of pain and grief flashed across Hyoyeon's face before she nodded her head slowly and ran back to her room. Tiffany watched the youngest in pity. Though she may not know Hyoyeon very well, but at least she was sure that the latter would never bully someone, heck, she would never even hit someone unless it was for fun.

A sigh was heard before Tiffany turned her attention towards Taeyeon, who was rubbing her temple.

"Sorry you had to see that. Its just Hyoyeon is growing up and I haven't been able to spend much time with her given the diner's opening hours."

Tiffany nodded her head understandingly before fidgeting awkwardly in her position, earning a small chuckle from the older.

"Sorry. Take a seat. I will be back with erm.. Tea? Hopefully... If I manage to find some tea bags around."

The last sentence was probably meant to be for herself but Tiffany caught it anyway, smiling awkwardly.

While Taeyeon was in the kitchen, Tiffany was finally able to look around the house. A quick glance showed how nicely decorated the living room was, at least. Pictures of the two sisters posing in different positions, some nicely posed, others in some quirky weird positions. The house reeked of homely and cozy feeling with soft welcoming colors painted over the walls. There were also medals and trophies around, most probably from their parents, if not Taeyeon, considering how old they look. In short, it was a comfortable place just like the two sisters.

"Sorry, I couldn't find any teabag even after raiding the whole kitchen, so plain water?"

The voice seemed unsure, a contrast from the angry Taeyeon just now. Tiffany could only smile at the adorable sight. However, that only lasted for seconds before Taeyeon sighed once more.

"Sorry..."

The latter apologized after realizing how uncomfortable and awkward it must have been for the younger girl.

"Anyway, thanks for picking Hyoyeon up. I honestly have no idea why she would call you in the first place."

Taeyeon smiled a sincere smile for the first time after seeing Tiffany to which the latter relaxed almost immediately.

"It's nothing."

"So... Shouldn't you be with Jessica right now?"

A raised eyebrow was all she got from the other which got Taeyeon slightly flustered. Tiffany could only laugh at the awkward situation. Usually they had Jessica or even Hyoyeon around them and they were always in public areas but to be left alone by themselves in a room was just another thing altogether.

"I mean..."

"She's busy I guess. Didn't answer any of my texts today." A nod was all she got from Taeyeon as the duo fell silent again.

"So..."

"You go first..." Giggles erupted at their awkward attempt to start a conversation.

"Sorry. It's just I'm used to seeing you with Jessica and Sunny around or even Hyoyeon around. It's kind of my first time having you alone so..."

Taeyeon let the sentence trailed off, knowing that the red-haired would have gotten the meaning.

"I guess so... Well, since you are friends with Jessica and, I believed you are trying to be more than friends with Sunny, I supposed we can start getting used to each other then."

"Cool! I like the sound of that!"

An enthusiastic nod and beam from the smaller yet older girl while Tiffany smiled back.

"So what's up with you and Sunny?"

With that, giggles and chuckles erupted with occasional tints of natural blushes on their cheeks as they started topic after topic, teasing and chatting.

---

"Anything you want to do today?" The lazy girl simply shifted into another position as part of her answer. "Anywhere you want to go?" She shifted again and the red-haired could only frown, annoyed at the lack of response. "Fine. Do what you want."

The latter crossed her arms and turned around sulking, all while sneaking glances at the seemingly undisturbed girl. Just when she decided she would just ignore the other girl for good, a few pokes at her waist before a hard paper wedged underneath her . Picking up the paper, she looked at it with a confused frown before turning to the culprit, only to find herself face to face with an arm.

Two musical tickets, tonight. Go with me?

The barely legible handwriting scrawled on the arm and a pitiful and pleading expression on her face to match the words. Just by looking at the barely seen words and expressions, Tiffany could barely restrain her laughter. The girl, she was just too cute to even be expressed in words.

Keeping on a straight face, Tiffany pretended to contemplate about the offer, refusing to be seen happy on being asked out.

"Hmm... I'm not quite sure. What time will that be?"

6pm. Dinner then musical.

Once again, the response was scrawled out, only on the other side of her arm.

"Let's see. I may have something to do in the afternoon so...

Didn't you say you have nothing to do today?

"I just thought of something to do since you were ignoring me just now."

Eyebrows furrowed deeply at the remark, as she gave no response, guilty of the crime committed.

"Then what time does the musical start?"

7pm.

"6pm till 7pm. That's only an hour for eating? Not to mention travelling time?"

Then 5pm?

"Hmm... I need to get my hair done, my make-up, pick out my wardrobe..."

5.30pm then?

"Hmm.. I'm not sure..."

Just go with me then... 5.30pm and you can't say no. My arm only has limited space for writing left.

Tiffany took a quick glance at the blonde's arm. Indeed, both arms were scrawled with blue ink, some barely can be seen while others seemed to as though be engraved in the skin, and the right being way horrible than the left. Looking at the blonde, who simply gave an innocent smile, Tiffany could only shrugged.

"Then why are you writing? Talk then."

Can't. You said you didn't like me to talk, so quiet.

Frowning as she read the sentence, Tiffany do not know whether to laugh or to cry. The rare times where Jessica was listening to her, or even listened and remembered her words.

"Then you should have written on paper instead."

Can't find.

Tiffany could only sighed in 'despair'. It was typical of Jessica to be lazy and a miracle that she even found a pen.

"So you are going to communicate with me using this way?" The older girl nodded. "So when's your comeback?"

Soon

"What's the concept then?"

Secret

"Not even to me?"

Nope. Secret

"But I'm your girlfriend."

Still nope.

The questions went on and on revolving around various topics and ridiculous questions to which Jessica wrote her replies on her body. It was only when the latter wanted to find an empty spot to write her replies that she realized there was none left.

Pouting, the girl looked up at her girlfriend, showcasing her limbs that were covered with blue ink. Tiffany could only chuckled at the sight before standing up. Reaching up to pull the blonde, they shuffled the latter all the way to the bathroom where screams along with hard brushing of the skin were heard.

---

"Are you sure you are going to be fine like that?"

"I think so. Nobody recognizes me anyway. Besides, I don't think anybody would even imagine me coming here. They think I'm a loner who either hangs out in the company, at home or at the cafe with you."

Giggles were heard softly as one of the girls thought about how truthful the statement was. However, before she could make any retort, fingers grabbed lightly on her arm, maneuvering through the crowd, taking furtive glances everywhere before disappearing behind a door. The door led to what seemed to be a hectic and occupied corridor with props and set designs placed everywhere, as well as numerous doors that has various labels on them, make-up, wardrobe, props, actors, actresses, dancers and many more.

Eyes looking at labels on the doors while trying to weave their way through the various crews who seemed to be in great rush to get the whole show ready, Jessica could only rely on her hopefully somewhat okay sense of direction as she tugged the totally clueless girl around.

Finally spotting the door, which has “main actress”, labeled on it, Jessica simply rapped lightly and pushed the door open without waiting for any response, pulling the other girl with her. Only the moment they stepped into the room that the two intruders looked up to find themselves face to face with a group of surprised crew. Feeling embarrassed at their actions, the two girls bowed, muttering words of apology.

"Unnie?"

Came an unsure voice. Jessica turned towards the voice as a smile formed on her face as she greeted the girl happily, totally forgetting the presence of another being with her.

"You came!"

"Of course, I did. I promised you, didn't I?"

A bright smile formed on the blonde's face. A quick glance around the room and she found the trio being the centre of attraction. Instinctively, she bowed her head in attempts to cover her appearance.

"Sorry. We will go to my room."

Without another word, the mysterious girl grabbed hold of Jessica's hand, leading the way out of the room and oblivious to the pair of eyes that stared piercingly at the interactions between the two girls. Throughout the whole interactions, she had been staring and observing the other girl, eyeing her intensely. If stares could kill, those two girls would be literally be pierced and stabbed to death.

"So, this must be unnie's girlfriend, Tiffany unnie?"

A slight nudge to her arm brought her back to reality. Eyes focused on the faces of the two girls, particularly on the new face that seemed to have the biggest and brightest smile, before Tiffany herself curved her lips upwards into a embarrassed smile.

"Seo Juhyun, Sica unnie's best friend. You probably know me as Seohyun though." A quick glance at Jessica and the actress continued talking. "You must be Tiffany unnie, Sica unnie's girlfriend."

Not trusting herself to talk, Tiffany simply turned the embarrassed smile into a curved one before bowing slightly to Seohyun, to which she was returned with a ninety degrees bow.

"It's kind of like a busy place to know you, so since you are here, I guess you will be watching the musical then?" A nod of Tiffany answered the question. "In that case, why don't we meet after my musical? I would like to know more about you, Tiffany unnie."

A skeptic glance to the blonde, who simply gave a reassuring smile before Tiffany nodded her head, though seemingly somewhat unsure.

"Alright then. See you later. I got to go now."

With another bright smile, Seohyun waved the two girls goodbye before sending them on their way to the main hall where most seats have been filled up and audiences waiting patiently for the show to start.

---

"Sajang-nim, you can't do this!"

"Why not?"

"Jessica-sshi is just new."

"So? This will propel her fame and popularity."

"But she might not like it."

"You are the manager, she's the artist. It's not up to you to decide whether you like it or not."

"I'm not sure if she will do it."

"Well too bad. I have accepted the job on her behalf and she shall very well do it. Besides, it's your job to make sure that she does it, and very well at that."

Giving her a hard stare, he strode towards the door.

"If I hear anything about her not doing her job well, just be prepared to hand in your resignation."

With that, he strode off, leaving the manager dumbfounded.

-TBC-

 

A/N: Happy Lunar New Year!! An additional update this week, coz it's the holidays. In the previous chapter, some of you asked who Sica's best friend is, so there she is. The reason why I took some time to introduce these characters was because of this.

If you guys have commented on the previous chapter, I might or might not have given you a clue on who Seo's partner is. I will check back again in a few days. See ya!