At first sound

At First Sound

Sometimes when love happens, it may come so quick that you do not even have time to stop it.

Sometimes when love happens, it does not need to be physical attraction. For such, you may not even know the person or how she looks like but yet she may be constantly on your mind, constantly craving for your attention.

---

"Good afternoon everyone. Just now what you have heard is the song, Spring Day by Girls' Generation. A beautiful song for us to send off Winter and welcome Spring. Right now..."

"Tiffany Hwang MiYoung!"

The said girl startled out from her thoughts and back into reality, standing at attention.

"Can you please pick up the phone."

The voice sounded softer and pleading, but impatient with the slow process of the girl's mind. It was after minutes of continuous ringing that Tiffany finally registered the sound of the phone. Scrambling, Tiffany picked up the phone and recited the lines that she did everyday as she took down the order. Scribbling the order in her most legible writing, Tiffany quickly placed the order in the kitchen and returned her position at the counter, smiling dreamily.

For those who did not know would think that Tiffany was crazily in love in someone from the way the girl was smiling as she zoned out. Her head was tilted upwards, as clouds depicting her thoughts almost formed above her, literally. The only difference between her and other women in love would be Tiffany was in love with someone whom she had never seen or known personally before, not even a picture or her name. All Tiffany knew was that the lady possessed a sweet voice, and was the DJ for the afternoon time-slot of 89.9FM who went by the name Ice Princess. It was like thousands of fangirls and fanboys crushing on their favourite idols, the difference being those idols had names to put to their faces, yet Tiffany's idol did not. No face, no name. The only time which Tiffany could connect with Ice Princess was through a small radio sitting in a corner of the cafe she was working at.

"Tiffany Hwang! I paid you to work, not to listen to the radio. One more time and I'm going to replace the radio with CDs!"

"I know you wouldn't do that to me, right Sunny? You love me too much."

Tiffany tried to appease the girl with her ageyo, smiling widely till her eyes turn into cresents.

"Unfortunately, you seem to love the radio more. I'm the boss, but yet I'm doing all the work. So why would I need you for?"

Sunny replied calmly, seemingly oblivious to her attempted ageyo. It would probably melt the hearts of all the boys who had big and small crushes on her, but not Sunny. The latter had seen enough of her ageyo for the past 10 years to be immune to them.

"You wouldn't!" Tiffany widened her eyes in horror.

"Why wouldn't I? Tiff, I'm not charity, I'm making business. I can't just pay you for listening to radio all day and I'm doing all the work."

"Fine. But there isn't customers and I doubt that you would want me anywhere inside the kitchen right?"

Without waiting for any response, Tiffany shrugged and turned her attention back to the radio which was playing slow jazz music, suitable for the lazy afternoon. Sunny looked at the relatively empty cafe before turning to the dreamy girl. Sighing, she left the dreamy girl alone, lost in her own world.

---

"Good afternoon everyone, my name is Jared Tan. Starting from today, I'll be taking over the afternoon shift while Ice Princess will be taking over the night shift. Right now, we will start of the show with a soft ballad, a perfect way to start the afternoon."

As soon as the music faded on, groans were heard everywhere in the cafe. People from all walks of life who went to the cafe to spend their afternoon chatting or reading while listening to the smoothing voice of the Ice Princess seemed unhappy with the change of timeslots.

However, among them all, the one who groaned the most or rather felt the most disappointed was none other that eye-smiling girl at the counter.

"Tiffany Hwang MiYoung!"

"Aish! Seriously Sunny, how many times do I have to tell you not to call me by my full name!"

"Many?" Sunny shrugged and frowned.

"And you still call me that?"

"Because you are always day-dreaming. Now that Ice Princess is not on the afternoon slot anymore, can you please please focus on work?"

Tiffany frowned at the remark. It was already sad and disappointing enough to know that her favorite DJ was no more on the afternoon radio, and it was worse for Sunny to rub in, knowing fully well for her love for that particular DJ.

"Fine. Welcome to Bunny's Cafe, how may I help you?"

Tiffany greeted brightly at the customer who just entered the cafe with her signature eye-smiles, glad to have the distraction away from Sunny. Looking at the customer, she thought she was seeing things. The girl was closely bundled up in coat and scarf, along with a hat and sunglasses to complete the look. Unconsciously, Tiffany checked the air-conditioner temperature before looking at the weather outside. 34 degrees and it was not raining or windy. In fact, the sun was shining down brightly, and people outside the cafe were practically sweltering under the heat.

This girl must have come from Mars. It is definitely not the weather to wear coats or scarfs. Tiffany thought inwardly as she displayed her best smile for the newly-arrived customer.

"What would you like to have, Miss?"

Tiffany watched as the customer examined each pastry on display, occasionally furrowing her eyebrows as though trying to make a decision. After what seemed like minutes, the girl finally decided on her pastry.

"Coffee muffins and coffee cupcakes." She pointed. "And a cup of latte."

Quickly picking out the pastries, which happened to be the cafe's signature dishes, Tiffany quickly went on to work on the latte.

"You are now listening to 89.9FM. I'm Jared Tan, your host for today. I'm taking over the afternoon time slot for today onwards, so please give me as much as support. Thank you."

Upon hearing it, Tiffany's expression went into a sulk once again. The guy's voice reminded her of the fact that she would not be able to hear the Ice Princess's voice during her afternoon anymore.

"Tiffany."

Tiffany looked up to see Sunny beckoning at her.

"Smile."

Mustering a small smile, Tiffany proceeded to pass the latte to her customer and rang up a change. After returning the change to the customer, Tiffany went back to her gloomy expression.

"Tiffany, it's just a broadcast. Besides it's not as though she would not be on air at night. You can always tune in to it at night and I'm not stopping you, but while you are working in the afternoon, can you just smile for me and my customers?"

"Sunny, you know it isn't just a broadcast. It's my encouragement, my energy, my life, my..."

"Excuse me, do you listen to the previous afternoon's broadcast by Ice Princess?"

A voice interrupted the two speakers. The duo turned the intruder to realized that it was the customer who had came through the door all bundled up a while ago.

"Yes. But it's a pity the Ice Princess had to switch to the night slot."

"Why a pity? Won't her voice suit better for night?"

Tiffany eyed the girl curiously, wondering where the girl was from. The afternoon broadcast from 89.9FM was practically everybody's favorite, from students to adults. Shops in most places, offices, schools would be tuning to the broadcast everyday, just to listen to her voice. The reason for that was simple, her voice was smoothing to the soul, had the power to relieve all stress and burdens as well as interesting. Well, maybe with also a little of curiosity and simplicity?

Curiosity. Who was the Ice Princess? Nobody had ever seen her besides the staff working with her and her manager. Many times, people had tried blocking her from exiting from the station's building, only to be held back by the security, trailing her, only to be lost in a chase half-way. For years, people had tried ways and means to find out her identity but to no avail. She had never appeared in any magazines or any events, not to mention expose herself in public. Hence, all that people knew about her was that she was of average height and her love for sunglasses and scarves.

Simplicity, because of the way she spoke. It was nothing out of the ordinary, nothing too difficult to understand and nothing complex. The topics she spoke about were simply lives of people, people from all walks of lives, the rich, the poor, the homeless, the struggling. Music, was her favourite topic, the easiest to get to the people. Her voice gave the comfort and encouragement that many would definitely need to get through the lazy afternoon, especially when it was a burning degree of 40 degrees in summer or a icy degree of negative 30 in the winter. The smooth voice, it had the capability to give encouragement and enhance positive energy in people all around the country. Therefore, many bosses did not mind having the Ice Princess's voice on loud speakers in their companies.

"People like her. The customers here are regular because they sit in here everyday to listen to her voice while catching up with friends."

"Then why is it taken off?"

"I'm not sure. It was said that she had schedule problems apparently."

Tiffany shrugged. She was not sure why the girl was interested, as she seemed to be someone who had not listen to the program before from her question. However there was something about the girl that Tiffany felt she was familiar with, something about the girl's voice.

"You don't seemed convinced by the reason."

The girl pressed on, earning a curious stare from Tiffany. For a moment, Tiffany thought she saw the girl fidgeted slightly as though she was nervous, but she shrugged the thought away.

"She had done it for years, so it's sort of fixed on her schedule already isn't it? Besides, she does not have other events or programs to go to. In fact, I do think she only has the radio schedule in her entire day. It doesn't exactly make sense for her to quit and so suddenly too."

Tiffany rambled her frustrations. As much as she wanted to know more about the girl, her frustrations caught up with her and sent her rambling non-stop about the change of DJ in the radio schedule while the girl listened on patiently.

"So, if she were to go back to the afternoon program..."

"That will be great! In fact, the whole cafe and other shops around the the town would love it too." Tiffany exclaimed, without waiting for the sentence or question to end.

"Tiffany!"

As though knowing what the voice from inside the kitchen would say, Tiffany immediately kept her voice lower as she continued to ramble her dissatisfaction about the new radio program, even though it was only the first day it had been aired, while the strange girl sat there, absorbing all her nonsensical rambles.

---

Since then, Bunny's cafe was frequent by the mysterious girl. As the days go by, Tiffany found herself talking more and more, growing fonder and fonder towards the girl. In fact, she became somebody whom Tiffany could share freely as well as pass time when the cafe was not filled with customers. Actually, the girl did not talk much, all she did was to listen to Tiffany behind those thick sunglasses and warm scarf. Never once did she revealed her name nor her appearance, but Tiffany did not mind.

"Don't you want to know who I am?"

The mysterious girl sat at her usual place near the counter. It was the middle of summer and reportedly the hottest day in summer, but as usual, the girl was still covered fully from head to toe.

"Nope."

Tiffany shook her head and resumed her task cleaning the table top. It was true. Tiffany felt at ease not knowing who the person or how she looked like, she felt she was able to connect through the heart. In fact, she was never one who judged people by their appearances.

"Why not?"

"Why should I?"

"Aren't you curious?"

The girl shifted her attention to Tiffany. Tiffany could feel her eyes staring at her curiously, waiting for her answer. Giving a small smile, she paused a second before answering.

"I am. But I don't like prying into people's privacy. If the other person wanted you to know, he or she will let you know. If the person doesn't want to let you know, there's no benefit in trying unless you are trying to shake him off."

The girl nodded her head as though processing the words. It was minutes before she spoke up again.

"Are you still listening to Ice Princess's broadcast?"

"I am."

"How was she doing?"

"I think she suits the afternoon broadcast better."

"Why?"

"Her voice doesn't suit the night broadcast. Besides, most of the broadcast at night is listening to songs. I like her voice better than songs."

Once again, the girl nodded her head. Looking at the girl, Tiffany wondered what prompted the girl to ask those questions. It was rare that the girl talked, much more asked questions. Leaving the girl deep in thoughts, Tiffany left for the back of the cafe to wash the cloth she was using. When she came back out, the girl was gone.

---

For the next five days or so, Tiffany did not see the girl arriving at the cafe. With every few seconds of her spare time, Tiffany would glance out of the window to see if any girl, all bundled up was walking down the street towards the cafe, but each time she was disappointed.

"Tiffany, I'm going home first. Remember to lock the door well before you leave."

"Right, Sunny. Enjoy your date."

With a wave and a bright smile, Tiffany sent Sunny out of the door. Once alone in the cafe, the usual smile on the girl's face faded as she began her closing duties. The girl had not appeared once again. There was no sign of her as though she disappeared from the face of the Earth. Maybe, not to that extent, just disappeared from the face of Tiffany.

It was only when Tiffany was getting ready to leave that the door rang open.

"Sorry, we are close."

Tiffany shouted from the back of the kitchen, while quickly rinsing of the soap from her hands. Turning off the tap, Tiffany waited for a reply. The store was quiet, but Tiffany knew that the late intruder had not left from the shadow shone from the moon light. Somehow, the shadow had looked familiar to Tiffany, long and slim with perfect proportions of the body.

Not hearing any reply or movement from the shadow, Tiffany ran out of the kitchen, wiping her hands at the back of her jeans.

"Sorry, miss. We are close for the night."

No reply

Tiffany peered at the late night visitor curiously. The girl was wearing a simple sweatpants and a black coat with a hood over her head. She completed the sports look with a sunglasses which covered almost half of her face, while her long brown hair covered the other half. There, she stood under the moonlight, clutching the sides of her bag nervously that was slung over her shoulder.

"Sorry, miss. You will have to return tomorrow morning when the cafe is open."

Tiffany was losing her patience. It was already way past her time to leave the cafe and she was dead tired from standing on her feet the whole day.

"Miss..."

"Do you think you can make a cup of coffee for me?"

Tiffany was stunned when she heard the voice. It was the voice that she was looking forward to for the past few days. However, there was something different in the voice. It was still as sweet as ever, but it also contained tiredness and was slightly cracked.

Frowning, Tiffany motioned to the girl to a seat while she went to turn on the coffee machine. Measuring out the amount of coffee, the whole shop was once again filled with coffee smell. However, instead of it being lively like the afternoon, it was dead quiet at night except from the humming of the machine.

"You usually don't come this late at night."

Tiffany tried starting a topic. She had to fight every urge inside her to maintain her voice low and balanced as her blood started boiling with rage. A part of her wanted to know where she had gone for the past few days, but another part of her wondered what position she was in to ask the questions.

Friends? Tiffany thought. Were they friends? Or were they just the relationship of a customer and employee to which the customer frequently frequents? She had not known her name nor how she looked like, but were they friends?

For thousands of times during the past few days, Tiffany had asked herself those questions, but she failed to find an answer. Now that the girl was right in front of her, Tiffany wanted so much to ask, but she was afraid that the answer would disappoint.

"I just ended work."

A soft reply came.

"Were you busy these days?"

"Not really."

Tiffany could hear the girl struggling with each and every word. It was as though with every word the girl spoke, it hurt so much that she would winced in pain. Tiffany watched the girl carefully. Seeing the girl in pain pulled strings at Tiffany's heart. She was concerned. Concerned? Right, concerned as a friend, just a friend.

"You shouldn't drink coffee."

Tiffany said after observing the girl for some time.

"Tired, needed to stay awake." Came a cracked response.

Suddenly Tiffany leant over the shelf and grabbed the cup from her hand, catching the girl by surprise. Within seconds, the three-quarter filled cup of coffee was splashed down the sink.

"Hey!"

The girl cracked out in surprise, standing up abruptly from her seat.

"Drink this instead."

A new cup was placed in front of the girl. The girl looked up at Tiffany in surprise.

"It's good for the throat."

She peered down into the seemingly yellowish liquid, suspicious of its content.

"It's just honey."

Tiffany spoke once more, as though able to read the girl's mind.

"I don't like sweet things."

Came a reply from the girl, pushing the cup towards Tiffany.

"But it's good for the throat. Just drink a little."

Tiffany tried to persuade the girl exasperatedly. It was already getting late into the night and Tiffany wanted to go home and rest.

"I'm going to the back to get my belongings, and I want to see you at least drink half of it when I get back."

Throwing the sentence, Tiffany left to the back of the cafe. When she came back out, the girl was gone again. The filled cup that was once on the counter was replaced with an empty one and beside the cup was some loose change and a napkin which had the words "Jessica Jung" written on it.

-TBC-