At Third Sound

At First Sound

Breaking news: The Ice Princess is rumored to be recording songs.

This is the first of the many things that the Ice Princess is breaking into unchartered territory since her debut as a radio DJ almost 5 years ago? An insider had said that the Ice Princess is currently recording songs and is planning to release an album soon.

With this release of the album, will the Ice Princess finally face the world with her face or will she continue hiding behind the comforts of her veil. Despite being well known for having a sweet and lovely voice, fans all over the country are curious as to how the Ice Princess would fare in the music industry. Will she be able to make her mark or will she diminished? All these will be revealed once the album has been released. Stay tune for more updates on the Ice Princess.

Tiffany switched off the radio and lay back in her bed. Her thoughts swarming over the only one person who had invaded her mind ever since that day Jessica Jung asked her out for a date. Jessica Jung the girl with enormous sunglasses and signature scarf, Jessica Jung the girl who loved coffee even if was sore, Jessica Jung the girl who spoke less than ten sentences each time.

It was tough. Never once had Jessica admitted that she was the DJ nor the Ice Princess, in fact Jessica had never revealed what her job or any other personal details of her life. The only ‘hint’ that Tiffany believed Jessica was related to the Ice Princess was the latter always appeared 30 minutes after the broadcast. She was always ordering latte with coffee cupcakes and always hiding behind those thick sunglasses. Tiffany practically knew nothing about her, not even how she arrived to the cafe by transport or by foot. But Jessica Jung had asked her out for a date.

Face buried deep into the pillow, Tiffany paused before turning over to lie on her back. Facing her blank ceiling, the girl could see faces of Jessica Jung; how her dark sunglasses covered her eyes, how her fringe had always tend to stay in place despite the position her head was in, her lips, her ears, her nose, her chin, her everything. All of these Tiffany could visualize it so perfectly. It was etched so deeply that no matter how much the girl tried, it refused to leave.

Turning to her side, she grabbed the pillow by the bed and squashed it into a backbreaking hug. Taking a deep breath, she frowned. Even the pillow smelt like Jessica Jung. Giving up, she decided, perhaps she did allow Jessica Jung to invade her dreams, just this once.

***

"So, your answer?"

Tiffany who had been zoning out was startled once again. She had failed to notice that the clock ticked five-thirty and Jessica Jung was here again.

"So what's your answer?"

Tiffany stared at the girl who was covered from head to toe as usual. As much as she wanted to give an answer, she refused. After all, she knew nothing much about her and here she was, asking for a date?

"Before I answer, can I ask you a few questions?"

The barista waited for a reaction, but saw nothing besides a blank expression, though she was certain that Jessica simply stared at her.

"So firstly, your name?"

Tiffany looked into her sunglasses, hoping that her gaze would actually penetrate at the right spot into her eyes. After a short moment, when the gaze became awkward, the barista picked up the cloth and pretended to wipe the counter. Her hands were busy, her eyes were facing downwards, but her ears were perked upright. She was not sure if she was even expecting a response, but still, a girl could always try her luck.

After what seemed to be like hours, an amused voice twinkled in her ears, causing her to flush with embarrassment.

"You have been wiping that spot there for the past 6 minutes 45 seconds, 46, 47, 48, 49..."

As if on instinct, a hand shot out to cover the other's mouth while her cheeks grew crimson red. Her eyes darted everywhere but her. Slowly, a palm rose up and landed against her hand, bringing it down. The moment the skins made in contact with each other, it sent tingles down Tiffany’s back and she retracted her hand immediately, a blush forming on her cheeks.

"Haven't I given you my name before?"

Gone was the sweet and lovely voice or the hoarse and coarse voice, instead it was a cold and icy one. Tiffany raised an eyebrow at the statement as if daring her.

"Jessica Jung."

"Your age?"

"28."

"Occupation?"

"What's this? Twenty questions?

"Family?"

"A sister."

"Pets?"

"None."

"Occupation?"

"Haven't you asked this before?"

"You haven't answered me yet."

"Secret."

"Secret? Why so?"

"Just so."

Jessica shrugged while Tiffany raised an eyebrow at the answer. Turning her back against the girl, she frowned as her fingers fiddled with the cloth in her hands. Secret? What kind of job is a secret? Police? Undercover? Detective? But she did not look like one. Which policewoman or detective would be that free to drop by every single afternoon at the same timing? Was she wrong in her guesses? Thousands of questions raced in her mind as her brain tried to process them all, only to no avail. Answers, she needed answers.

The barista was so deep in thought that it took an almost earthquake-like shaking to wake her out of her trance and sent her back to reality. Mustering a smile, she turned to face Jessica, who seemed to be worried by her posture of leaning forward against the counter.

"Are you okay?" The voice portrayed concern. It was soft and lovely, almost identical to the one she heard from the radio.

"Why is your job a secret?"

"Just so"

"But why?"

"Well, it's dangerous."

Tiffany frowned deeper at the answer as Jessica leaned forward close to her.

"If you knew, I'll have to kill you."

The voice was soft and light, almost just blowing wind into Tiffany's ears, tickling her and sending shivers down her spine. However, she brushed off the thought and had wanted to push on more, but decided against it instead. Even though the blonde was still expressionless and hiding behind her enormous sunglasses, Tiffany could sense a different emotion somehow. Deciding on the change of mood, she spoke up.

"I'm free on Wednesday after work."

The head she was observing tilted up slightly, and Tiffany was almost sure she caught sight of a tiny smile tugged at the side of her lips. Seeing that smile, something in Tiffany snapped and the girl desired to make a small joke.

"Are you sure you want to date me?"

As if trying to seduce the other, she leant in forward once more, chin propped on the back of her hand, a smirk tugged at her lips as she stared unwavering at her. Unfortunately for Tiffany, her plan backfired when she found Jessica moving closer towards her face, her chin propped on her hand in similar position, and a smirk displayed on her lips. Despite the sunglasses, Tiffany still found the woman to be seductive, perking her interest.

"I have said the other time."

The duo's faces were so close to each other that Tiffany could smell and feel Jessica's breath against her face. Jessica's breath, it smelt of the coffee she drank, sending out a cool sensation while causing Tiffany to freeze up at their closeness. The cool sensation against Tiffany however caused the latter to burnt up into a red shade instead of cooling down.

For a few minutes, Tiffany was  stunned, her eyes staring blankly at the front. It was only when the constant ringing of the counter bell and the knocking of Sunny's knuckles on her head that she came back to reality. By then, Jessica Jung was gone. In place of her were a few coins and a tissue placed under it.

Okay. It's a date.

***

Days flew by so quickly in a blink of an eye and it was Wednesday, the day that Tiffany had mentioned to be available.

Ever since the note Jessica had left on a napkin before disappearing, the barista had spent most of the days daydreaming about that particular girl, earning numerous knocks on her head from Sunny.

As usual, Tiffany was standing by the counter, listening attentively to the radio broadcast that was playing throughout the whole cafe. The Ice Princess lovely voice was heard everywhere, earning smiles from patrons lazing in the cafe.

"Are you daydreaming about me?"

A soft voice startled the barista. With a swift turn of her head, she turned, only to gulp at the closeness of her and the intruder. For a moment, Tiffany cursed. She should have expected the close proximity since the voice seemed to be just right beside her ear.

"I sure do hope you were daydreaming about me."

There was a slight tease in her voice, causing Tiffany to flush at the remark and become defensive.

"Who said so?"

"Well, I just said it, in case you have not heard me."

A shrug of nonchalance came from the blonde's shoulders as she sat at her usual seat opposite Tiffany.

"No, I'm not!"

"What time do you knock off?"

"Seven."

"Fine, then I'll wait for you."

With that, Jessica settled herself in the chair with hands propped on the counter top and chin on her palms while Tiffany carried on with her job of serving customers and ringing up the change. When Tiffany finally had a short break, she turned to the girl sitting by the counter.

"Can you stop staring at me?"

"Who said I was?" Came the quick reply.

"Well, I could practically feel the stares at my back."

"Maybe I was."

Jessica gave a smirk as her eyes continued to eye the figure in front of her. For a moment, Tiffany had this sudden urge to dig the eyes out of that staring woman, yet she refrained herself, deciding that it was not worth spending years in jail for that.

***

Time ticked by as Jessica continued her unwavering stare at the barista while the latter does her job. Each movement Tiffany made, eyes would follow her. Jessica finally stood up to stretch, when the second hand finally passed twelve and the minute hand shifted a minute.

"So can we go now? It's seven."

Tiffany took a quick glance at the clock as she took off her apron.

"Fine. I'm more or less done. Grab my bag and we will go." Tiffany thought she caught sight of a small smile tugged at the side of the girl's lips, which vanished as soon as they came.

Trudging into the back room, the young barista quickly grabbed her bag, stuffing whatever belongings into it and went out to the front. Locking the main door securely, she turned to face Jessica, who was waiting all so patiently.

"What?"

"What what? Aren't you supposed to lead me to where we are going?"

"Where are we going?"

At that very moment, Tiffany wanted to slam her head into the door for even agreeing to even go out with this... This... Woman... To think she had sacrificed her rest time and aching feet after standing the whole day at the cafe and now she had to rack her brains over a date that she was not sure if she wanted to go?

Staring at the woman, who was looking at her intently, Tiffany sighed. Perhaps she was not the Ice Princess. Their attitudes were on extreme ends. Still, she had to keep her promise. Without further ado, Tiffany grabbed Jessica's wrist and gently pulled her towards a direction.

-TBC-

A/N: Reading through all your comments and anticipation made my day and really inspired me to want to write well, but at the same time, I'm also afraid that I'll disappoint. So please tell me if there are parts that are confusing or doesn't make sense. So till next time...