At Ninteenth Sound

At First Sound

News update

This morning, the main lead of the hotel tryst scandal, Kim Jishul had been brought into the police station. He was seen at his house at 9.23 in the morning and was being escorted by the police.

A police spokesman who refused to be named said that Kim Jishul had been called in to assist in an investigation but refused to mention any details regarding it.

Meanwhile, a spokesman from Kim Jishul's company, JS Entertainment, had stepped out to clarify the matter. "President Kim is only assisting the police in an investigation, he is not being arrested for anything. The to the police station is merely a procedure; hence there is no need to worry about it. As for the case, we are currently looking into it."

*Update: The case is believed to be filed by radio DJ Jessica Jung for ual harassment.

---

Computers were switched off, television and radio cords pulled out, mobiles in silent mode and window blinds pulled all the way down, engulfing the room in darkness. All contacts were cut off from the outside world, leaving the lone girl trapped in her thoughts.

It had been a tiring day and her mind was in overdrive from thinking. Every time her phone vibrated, her heart jumped. To say she was afraid was an understatement; she was terrified. Facing the outside world was suddenly ten times scarier than years ago. This time, there were no shades, no masks, no veils and no scarves to protect her from the onslaught of attacks. It was just her, flesh and skin, bared to the public.

The thought was horrifying, knowing that there were many others who would curse her for being the shameless woman she was, humilate her for the choice she made, ridicule her for her cowardy fake persona she had on air. For once, she admired those celebrities who had bravely stood up to the public and continued to work hard on their careers as though it did not affect them. If only she could have that courage, if only she was brave enough, but no, she was not, unfortunately.

Allowing herself to wallow in her thoughts, she remained solemn and unmoving, oblivious to the voice that had called her repeatedly.

It took a hard shake on her shoulders to snap her out of her thoughts, and lifeless eyes greeted the new intruder.

"Sica, I bought you food." Jessica remained still, not even bothering to acknowledge the newcomer. "Either way, you have to eat."

"Tae." The voice was nearly inaudible, but Taeyeon caught it.

"Sica." A palm enclosed over those of Jessica, rubbing the back of the hands in comfort. "Don't worry so much. You will pull through. You have all of us here. Lawyer Kwon, Minyoung unnie, Hyoyeon, your sister, me and Tiffany."

The last word seemed to have caught the attention of the blonde as she frowned.

"Especially Tiffany. She called to ask about you. She really wants to see you." Jessica shook her head, rejecting the thought. "Just once, Sica. You owed her this much."

Jessica frowned and shook her head once more, this time more vehemently.

"I know you are afraid, but you still owe her an explanation right? That's the least you could do."

Jessica glanced towards Taeyeon with a nod from her head.

"Right, so now come and eat. No use thinking about the storm."

---

It was the one of the rare times Tiffany was thankful for living in a secured apartment, but being trapped like a bird in a cage, she was slowly getting frustrated. Outside her apartment was a crowd of reporters waiting under the scorching sun, patiently and silently. If not for the predicament she was in, she would have pitied the reporters and maybe offer them some water. Unfortunately, she was the target and stepping out of the safe perimeters of her house would mean suicide.

Pacing around her house, her brain racked for ways of escape. Supplies in her place were running low and she was sick of being cooped up at home. That was the disadvantage, she had thought, of dating a celebrity. Scrolling through her contacts, she wondered if anyone was able to help her when her eyes lingered on a particular one.

She paused, wondering if the lady would be of any help. As soon as the thought arose, she shrugged it off. The lady probably had her own share of nosy attention to fend off. She scrolled down to the next person on her list. She may have her source of trouble, but she would definitely be the best person to contact after her.

"Minyoung unnie. It's Tiffany." Her voice raced with urgency. "There are reporters outside the door. What am I supposed to do?"

It took a moment before Minyoung replied her, saying that she would be at her house within thirty minutes and she was to pack her neccessities to last for days, and that she was staying at someone's place for the time being.

She had asked who was that someone she was staying with, but Minyoung was all nervous and dodgy before hanging up the phone with an excuse of someone calling for her attention. Tiffany frowned at the sudden request but who was she to reject when there was a higher chance of safe and sound at that stranger's place. She could either choose to suffer alone or go for a better choice.

As promised through the phone, Minyoung was at her place within thirty minutes, wearing a disguise that even her parents would not be able to recognize. Gone were her usual stylist coat and skinny jeans, instead she wore a skirt drapped to the floor, a cropped bright coloured shirt, hair dyed in maroon red, matched with a pair of sunglasses and a cap.

Tiffany stared at the petite manager in front, wondering if she was the Park Minyoung that she knew.

"Unnie, why are you dressed like this?"

"It's a disguise. Come'on get your stuff and let's go." Minyoung took a quick glance around. "We don't want to stay here too long lest anybody sees us."

Quickly getting into the car, Tiffany wore a cap that she had brought and bent her head low as Minyoung instructed. As though nothing had happened, the duo cruised out of the main gate and was about to by-pass the reporters when there was a hit on the car window. Curious, Tiffany glanced up, only to make eye contact with one of the reporter who immediately shouted her name. Frightened and startled by the loud voice, Tiffany immediately bowed her head lower, hoping to minimize the problem, but the damage was already done. Reporters banged outside the window, camera shutters clicked away, flashlights blinked quickly. Within seconds, Tiffany was sure that thousands of her pictures had been taken and it was scaring her. Hearing the loud shouts, Minyoung could only tried to avoid them, hoping to get out of the gates as quickly yet carefully. It was only till the vehicle zoomed along the highway that Tiffany could breathel. Only then did she feel the fear. The fear of being hounding after by many, the fear of being in constant attention of every little thing you do, and most importantly, the fear of the unknown, not knowing what the reports of tomorrow headlines will be. News, it could either make or break a person.

---

"Why are you here?"

Jessica was more than surprised to see the person she had expected the least to being standing outside her door. Noting the latter's awkward and nervous pose; she sighed and opened her door wider, letting the sudden intruder in.

"Any drinks?" There was no answer, not that she expected one though. Taking a glance at her visitor, Jessica walked into her kitchen.

"Water." She placed the glass on the table before settling herself in her seat. Despite her calm demeanor, Jessica was anxious and nervous at the sudden visit. She did not know what to expect. Did they even have anything to talk about in the first place?

Uncomfortable and awkward silence hung in the air with Jessica taking fugitive glances while the other fidgeting in her seat, both not knowing where to start or what to do.

"Why are you here?" Jessica decided to start off, breaking the stale silence.

"Minyoung unnie dropped me off."

Jessica nodded as she waited for further explanation as her visitor usually would, but none came. Instead, the latter bit down on her lips, her eyes casted downwards the whole time, seemingly deep in thought. Jessica did not want to disturb her visitor, hence choosing to fiddle with her phone when it lighted up with a vibration.

Sica, I asked Tiffany to stay at your place for now. I know you guys are not on good terms yet, but I don't want her to get hurt with all the reporters out there. So play nice and I'll be back soon.

Jessica slumped back in her seat resignedly, oblivious to the pair of curious and amused eyes staring at her.

"Minyoung unnie sent me here, saying it's better for me to stay here with you."

"She texted me."

"So-" Tiffany paused, an uncomfortable feeling rising within her. It was awkward to talk to her somehow, after knowing her past. Hence, she settled for an easy question, hoping to open any topic of conversation. "How are you?"

"Fine."

"I know it seems like a wrong time, but the news-"

"I'm sorry." Tiffany stared at the blonde in surprise. "For everything."

Tiffany kept her silence after the apology, half-hoping that Jessica would say more. However, it became apparent that the blonde was not going to talk any further when she mindlessly switched on the television, surfing between the various news channel.

Silently, Tiffany watched her, knowing how afraid and anxious Jessica was while battling her own turmoil.

"Jessica." She whispered, catching the attention of the DJ. "I wanted to ask you this, I received-"

Tiffany was silenced by the intense look Jessica had on her face, her eyes glued to the screen. Relunctantly, she swallowed back her words as she allowed her eyes to roam to the screen, the voice of the newsanchor drowning whatever questions she had.

News update

Currently, we are in front if Gyeongdong Police station where we can see citizens and fans gathering around, cheering words of support and chanting their idols' names.

Just an hour before, some fans have witnessed Bae Suzy, the nation's first love, entering the police station. Soon after, famous actress, Uhm Jeonghwa and Jang Nara were spotted entering the station. Also, despite their disguises, hot television icon Clara, girl group icon Kim Jisook and Park Sohyun, as well as y top model, Bae Jihee were seen entering the police grounds. Insiders have mentioned that the ladies were assisting in the ual harassment case filed against Kim Jishul, however, whether they were partners in the case were not known yet.

As more celebrities are getting involved in this case, we will continue to monitor the situation and provide timely updates, so stay tune.

---

Switching off the television, Jessica turned her attention to her phone, immediately receiving notifications from her lawyer. Her lips twitched into a small smile as she typed away on her phone, oblivious to the frowns of her guest.

"Jessica." Tiffany's voice was soft yet firm. "Did you do that?"

Jessica looked up, sporting the puzzled look.

"The case. You filed it right?"

Silence.

"And the news just now? You knew in advance, don't you?"

Silence

"Jessica." The barista's voice grew soft and gentle, almost imploring. "Am I that untrustable that you can't tell me what's going on?"

Jessica bit down on her lips, her fingers unconsciously tightening its grip on the armrests. Tiffany waited for moments, hoping that the lady would at least give her an answer, but when nothing was heard, she dug into her bag, placing an envelope in front of her.

"This," Tiffany slid the envelope towards the blonde and waited till Jessica hesitantly opened the envelope, taking out photographs in it. Flipping through it, Jessica could only gasp in shock, her eyes flickering through each one quickly as her breath quickened. "This is what you were hiding, right?"

Jessica froze and looked up at Tiffany. Despite Jessica's attempt to mask her expression, Tiffany could see the pain and hurt in the former's eyes. It was as though a different Jessica that Tiffany had seen in the last year, a girl who was hurt and vulnerable, fragile and easily broken behind those icy masks. Even the warmth that the lady had managed to exceute during their time together seemed to be a cover. Suddenly, Tiffany understood. The sides that Jessica had portrayed, the sunglasses, the scarves, the icy face, the veil, those were simply a mask to cover up the timid, vulnerable girl hiding inside. It was a cover, honed by years in the industry.

"I'm sorry." The voice cracked in a whisper. Tiffany could feel her heart go out to her. There was nothing more she wanted than to wrap her arms around the blonde, keeping her safe in her embrace, but she could not. She needed explanations, she needed to know.

"Jessica."

"I probably owe you an explanation." Jessica paused, taking a deep breath as she placed the pictures on the table. "I was twenty, fresh out of school, eager to carve a career for myself. I was lucky enough to intern in KBC radio and was even luckier to be one of the two interns who could work on a segment. Kim Jishul was the producer of my segment, Don't go Don't go. The audience loved it and I rose up, taking a full time job at the station. I became a permanent guest on a program and the DJ at that time loved me. She guided me through everything I needed to know and before I knew it, she quit suddenly. There was a debate on who should be the new DJ, since it was a popular night time slot and I was one of the candidates."

Jessica paused, taking a sip of water as she stared blankly into space, allowing the memories to slowly crept back in.

"I was naive and innocent. I didn't know how the industry was at that time, so when Kim Jishul asked me out for dinner one night with an excuse to the DJ job, I couldn't say no. I wanted so much to prove myself, so I went for the date. It was at a high-end restaurant and we were chatting. The next thing I knew, I was on the bed without any clothes on." Jessica closed her eyes, but not before taking a quick glance at Tiffany who was listening attentively.

"The next day, I got a letter congratulating me on getting the DJ position, but the public refused to accept it. There were also rumors that I've slept with Kim Jishul and thus getting this job. There were reporters started asking for scoop everywhere. I got afraid so I reported it to the company. But they didn't want to fire him so they sent him away to America."

Jessica trailed off, rubbing her palms nervously.

"So he wants revenge for sending him away." Tiffany concluded, not waiting for Jessica to continue.

"Taeyeon suggested I should fight against him if I wanted to protect myself and the people I love."

"Then why did you break up with me?"

Jessica looked up, boring into Tiffany's eyes.

"Maybe it's because I love you."

-TBC-

 

A/N: Ready, set, go!