At Twentieth Sound

At First Sound

Palms slammed hard on the table, smoke breathing out from his nose his ears and eyes glaring determinedly. He glanced at the headlines of the news websites he had opened up.

Top stars and famous celebrities have been called up to the police station, testifying against Kim Jishul.

Famous actresses Uhm Jeonghwa and Jang Nara had confirmed to testify against Kim Jishul, along with Jessica Jung.

"Get Mr Kang in. Immediately." He bellowed, his voice boomed through the whole floor, shocking his employees with his fury.

Within minutes, the said man was seated before him. His expression surprisingly calm as he watched the man pacing back and forth in the room.

"Didn't you say you are able to handle Jessica Jung?"

Mr Kang scoffed, visibly enjoying the frustration on Kim Jishul's face. It was a rare moment of fury and vulnerability coming from the man who was known to be a cunning sly fox in the industry, even during the time he worked years ago. It was seldom that anyone was able to see a different expression apart from a critical one.

"That was before you decided to go public against Jung."

"Well, she is your artiste."

"I only trouble myself with her jobs, what she does in her private life is something I can't interfere."

"This is part of the job too."

"It was, until you decided that your revenge with Jung was more important. I would be damned if I continue to associate with you.

"Don't you want to get your artistes on the show?"

Mr Kang shook his head and smiled. "I do. But after this going public, I doubt any broadcast channels would even want to accept your pitches and programs. Not only that, many top stars have been stepping out to testify against you, I don't think you will even get artistes and guests on your show." Mr Kang smirked. "If it even gets the approval to broadcast without protests from the people."

Kim Jishul turned to Kang, staring at him hard. "You are enjoying this."

"Can't say I am. I'm simply curious at the results. You know how the entertainment industry runs with the flow. We change with circumstances. As a quote from legendary girl group, Girls' Generation, "Popularity is like season. It comes and goes." But whether or not it will come back to you is a topic of debate. It will definitely be a waste to lose such a talented producer like you are, but it will be worse for me if one day my artistes turn against me and make me lose my company."

"We are of no difference, Kang. Stop making yourself sound so noble. You are exactly the same as exploiting the innocents and the ambitious."

"At least I don't force them."

"You brainwashed them."

"No. I create. I create a picture that they dream about and guide them towards it. Whatever decisions and actions are made when they are in clear consciousness."

"By selling themselves."

"We are in the business of illusion. Whatever you see is not everything you see. If they are willing to work hard, step-by-step, they will also be able to reach the top, but no, many of them are not willing to. They want to take the short cut, thread on paths that will allow them quicker success. I merely give them advice. Whether they accept them or not is their decisions and we claim no hold over them. Besides, whatever they do in their free time is not under their control."

"You are trying to get yourself out of this mess."

"I was never in this mess, Kim Jishul-nim. As your request, I simply guide my artiste to meet up with you, but her decision is something I can't control. I have done my part by arranging the meeting, unfortunately, she is unwilling to accept the deal and there is nothing I can do." Kang stood up nonchalantly, straightening his blazer. "I believe we have nothing to talk about anymore. I will take my leave."

With a curt nod, Kang walked out of the room, leaving a fuming Kim Jishul to glare at his back.

"If I go to hell, we all go to hell together."

---

Maybe it's because I love you.

Tiffany stared blankly at Jessica, frozen at the sudden confession. Throughout the years of knowing each other and dating, neither of them has ever said the three words. In fact, the barista had heard from Taeyeon that the DJ rarely said those words after a tragic accident that claimed the lives of her parents. The last time she had said it was when her younger sister, Krystal flew overseas for her studies.

However, now that Jessica had confessed to her, Tiffany did not know what to think. Neither did she know how to respond. She had never expected it. Biting down on her lips, she sneaked glances at Jessica, curious at the thoughts going through the latter's mind, at the same time confused.

"I don't see how the break up and you loving me are linked together."

"I don't know either." Jessica muttered quietly. "Taeyeon scolded me for being stupid." Jessica glanced up to Tiffany, but her eyes darting everywhere but the latter's face. "I just thought it might be better for you. I didn't want to hurt you with whatever I was about to go through."

"So you decided that breaking up with me was the best way of protecting me." Tiffany concluded, with Jessica giving a silent nod. "But I knew about it anyway."

"I'm sorry."

The duo let the apology hung in the air.

"How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Made YBC take down the news article and file a case against Kim Jishul. I've heard from Minyoung unnie that YBC is not a power to fight with, you would have to give them something better for them to change their mind last minute."

"Does it matter? The article is out anyway."

"Am I not supposed to know about it?"

Jessica kept silent, pondering over the request. She was not sure if Tiffany was going to accept the way they handled things, but that was what the news industry was about. Covering one news with a bigger one while hoping that the smaller news would not be leaked out. The exact thing she was doing, only this time, before she could put a brake to all news, they had came tumbling down and there was no way back. Jessica took a glance at Tiffany once more, the latter's eyes shining with curiosity and concern.

"Pictures of the top stars with him."

"The news reported it just now?" Tiffany frowned as Jessica nodded. "How did you even get it in the first place?"

"Minyoung unnie knew someone who happened to be Kim Jishul's secretary while he was working at KBC. She was the one who scheduled and booked the 'meetings'. Kim Jishul had a of taking pictures of topless stars and keeping them for his collection. The secretary managed to grab hold of some pictures, afraid that she would be implicated if Kim Jishul was caught. She owed unnie a favour."

"And you decided to disclose it to the press before asking the owners? Those stars mentioned in the news?"

"I handed it to the police, but we agreed to give YBC the exclusive."

Tiffany frowned deeper, her face turning into one of disgust. "And that's going to ruin the lives of many artistes." Jessica nodded solemnly. "And you are okay with that?"

"I can't do anything about it."

"But they are innocent. The news could ruin their years of hard work, sweat and blood to make it to the top, only to flop to the bottom with just one piece of news."

Jessica closed her eyes and reclined into her seat, feeling tired suddenly. Everything had been moving too fast in the past few days after the news exploded. Many idols, actors, radio DJ, hosts, even directors and representatives from companies were spared. Companies were being investigated; people were questioned. The case had started out with ual harassment that was a piece of news that the public was rather familiar with and would pay no heed. However, as the prosecutors dug deeper, people from the higher-ups were also called in for investigation, surfacing the dirt in the industry right before the public eyes.

"No one is innocent in this industry. It's hard to maintain innocence. Naïve people are quickly taken advantage of. Most of us are forced to grow up, we are forced to protect and take care of ourselves. We are forced to adapt to the industry, getting jobs and popularity while hoping to maintain some form of dignity. Those who resisted or rebelled were quickly banished. The remaining could only go with the flow." Jessica scoffed bitterly. "You look at idols who debut in their teens. By the time they hit twenty, they would have seen the dirty side of the industry or even experience it first hand. It's either they go with the flow or they disappear. With their ambition for a hit at fame, you wouldn't be surprised at the length they are willing to go. That's how the entertainment industry is."

Jessica paused, letting the words sink in Tiffany's head. It was the side where most celebrities were unwilling to disclose about, or even talk about. One reason was to save their basic dignity as a person, while the other was to continue having a perfect image in front of the audience and their fans. The perfect illusion that they created of the entertainment industry was what that lured the naive little lambs into the fame and glory, only for them to turn into preys and predators like themselves. They could not afford to taint their image for fear they would lose everything they had sacrifice for. With that, the vicious cycle continued.

"I'm no different." Jessica muttered, just barely loud enough for Tiffany to catch.

Without saying another word, Jessica walked towards her room, leaving Tiffany to ponder over her words.

---

News update

Directors and representatives from the big three SYP, YM, JG companies have been called to the police station to assist in investigation.

In the early morning, the CEOs of the three major entertainment companies were seen entering the police station. Insiders leaked that they were being called upon to assist in the case, which the police believe is part of a ring for celebrities to provide ual services in exchange for jobs or a higher amount of appearance fees.

Soon after the CEOs entered the building, directors and representatives as well as employees were also called in. Our reporters have also spotted higher management staffs from the major broadcast stations, SBC, YBC and MBS, as well as high-ranking employees from Korea Broadcaster Association entering the station.

As the police investigation continued, it is revealed that the investigation is nearing the end and that the main accused, Kim Jishul would be charged in court for ual briberies and having ual relations with minors. Meanwhile, the plaintiff, Jessica Jung aka Ice Princess and her manager are still uncontactable. The company spokesperson had denied any relations to the meetings between Jessica Jung and Kim Jishul, citing that their artistes are not under the management control during their private time and are free to do anything they want.

With the number of people 'assisting' in the investigation, it is starting to become a worry the public at how big the ' ring' was in the entertainment industry. It has also start to worry parents, especially those whose children were aspiring singers and actors, at how the entertainment industry would taint their children, despite the dirty aspects of it being behind closed doors. Many expressed their disgusts at some of the seemingly 'innocent' stars who had been revealed to have 'sold' their bodies for roles in movies and dramas, while others were nonchalant about it, citing that it is the same for all industries, including business, engineering etc.

As the case nears the end, YBC news will continue to give updates on the latest updates and after which the court trials. As we wait for the latest updates, we have prepared a detailed and exclusive timeline from the private meetings to the recent court case for our readers.

---

News updates

The case of Kim Jishul has gone on trial with many top stars and companies stepping up to testify against the man. Kim Jishul had been a famous producer whose programs have been great hits on both television and radio.

With the latest witness who testified that Kim Jishul had drugged her in order to bed her when she was a new rookie idol at seventeen years of age, Kim Jishul was officially sentenced to 21 counts of ual harassment, 3 counts of molestation, 11 counts of bribery through and 5 counts of having ual relations with a minor. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail and 18 of the cane with immediate effect.

As Kim Jishul's case comes to an end, we will also be watching SBC top management,Choi Jinrak, SYP management director, Jin Younghyuk and KBC host, Park Yehyun as they start their trials next week.

---

Switching off the television, Tiffany sighed. Now that the case had finally ended, she felt as though a burden was lifted and she could finally breath. She had been following the case rather closely; feeling suffocated and disgusted at the amount of dirt the prosecutor had dug out. For days, she had been one of the public who detested and felt ashamed of their entertainment industry at the knowledge of the number of celebrities who had been exchanging favours behind closed doors. She felt for the fans who felt that they were cheated of the innocent image their idols were eluding, only to know that they were not as innocent as they portrayed. It hurt, because she was the same, having wonderful dreams of the industry only to be shocked by the truths glaring in her face.

Tiffany sighed, standing up as she walked into the kitchen. The days of following the trials was taking a troll on her as she struggled to keep up with the news, with her mind constantly wandering off to a particular blonde who had miraculously disappeared and cut off all contacts with her. Despite asking Taeyeon, Seohyun and even Hyoyeon, they had refused to tell her the blonde's whereabouts, leaving her disappointed and frustrated.

She is running away again. She is unable to face you after all the truths about her surface. That's who she is. The weak, vulnerable little girl who has been hurt repeatedly by the industry. Just let her be, Tiffany. She will return when she is ready.

They were the exact words of Taeyeon when she persuaded Tiffany not to look for her. Tiffany understood, she really did, but she could not help but feel disappointed at how Jessica had reacted. Running away, Tiffany had once laughed at the thought. How was that going to help? She rather Jessica look for her, talk with her, confide in her just like what they had done before they broke up. But no, the latter had to escape. Still, Tiffany could not blame her. After all, she was the first one who ran away from the apartment after Jessica had given her a lesson on the industry. She was unable to wrap her head around it and had ran off, braving the crowds of reporters waiting outside. Jessica had took it as a sign that Tiffany did not want to be with her, and hence, she too, ran away without informing.

Tiffany sighed once more. Perhaps it was better to be apart.

---

Miles away, a hand gently closed the screen of her laptop. Her eyes closed as she smiled, relieved that the case was closed. The remaining trials would concern her no more, but she was glad that she had stood up. At least, the public now monitored the industry closely and people were more aware of the happenings in the dark, which hopefully would provide a safer and friendlier environment for the rookies.

Her hand reached out for a glass, sipping it slowly and tasting it thoroughly. It had been months, but she still could not get the mixture right. Each cup seemed as though they were lacking something, but she was certain she had followed the exact measurements and method. She scratched her head. Honey. A drink that was plain and simple yet containing many of her memories. She smiled as she stood up. She would make a perfect cup that would taste the same as hers before she returned. That was a promise.

-END-

 

A/N: We have come to the end of the story. It has been a long journey despite having only twenty chapters and I sincerely thank all of you for being here. 

 
With that said, the idea of this story came long before people started really taking note of sponsorship ring that happens in Korea. I'm unfamiliar with Western news, but this do reminds me of Ke$ha's case that has been sentenced recently as well as the revelation of an idol who went through such situation and the investigation of sponsorships that is currently undergoing, along with the broadcast of Pinocchio (Korean drama). All these are an icing that coincides with the publishing of this story which I'm too, am thankful for. It has given me depths on how to possibly write better story.
 
Glitz and glamour are simply one side of an artiste, the money and fame that comes with it are the constant hard work, sweat and blood that people seldom bother themselves seeing it. It's a high risk and possibly short-lived career. Being a fan does not give anyone the right to interfere with their private life or any decision they make. One may not agree with their decision, but one got to respect them for the sacrifice they are willing to make to achieve their goals. Whether or not it was worth it, is up to them to decide and no one else. Just one thing to remember: The entertainment industry is made up of illusions. Whatever that you are seeing through their small box called television or small screen called laptop may not be true. So always, take news, personalities, situations with a pinch of salt. Never invest too much feelings in it. 
 
That said, is anyone up for more heartbreaking moments and plot twists? Part two of the series, featuring Sunny and Taeyeon and of course the cameo appearance of many others. This time we are going in for the food - At First Taste. So let's migrate there. I'll see you guys there. Ciao
 
 
"Popularity is like seasons, they come and go. So when other members are under the spotlight, I think of it as a time to practice more and to become better at what I do." - SNSD Yuri, 2011