Chapter 8

Love in the Ice

 *2 MONTHS LATER*

Jaejoong stopped working and picked up his ringing cell phone. His heart skipped a beat after he heard what the person had to say on the other line.

“I found her Jaejoong…she’s living in an apartment in Japan. The place is under Park Yoochun’s name.” Junsu informed over the phone.   

“Thanks bro…” Jaejoong whispered before hanging up. He took a long breath to calm his racing heart. He then dialed another number.

“Get my jet ready.” Jaejoong ordered into the phone as he made his way to the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` 

“Really…I can’t thank you enough for helping me.” Sonia said for the umpteenth time.

“Oh stop it now Sonia, that’s what friends do…we help each other.” Yoochun said, brushing off Sonia’s gratitude. His face then became serious as he continued, “I only wish I could do more…seriously Sonia, why don’t you just divorce him?”

“I need to think more about this. Divorce is a big step and I need to consider Youngjae as well. I can’t deprive him of his father’s love…but at the same time I can’t go back after what happened.” Sonia answered back, getting depressed again.

After a drunken Jaejoong left that night, she couldn’t stay in that house any longer. So she took Youngjae and left. Before she even realized it she was knocking on Yoochun’s door. He took her in without question and patiently waited until she finally told him everything. Yoochun didn’t hesitate to offer her his apartment in Japan until she finally decided what she wanted to do, and she still wasn’t sure.

That night scared her to death. Sure Jaejoong didn’t her…he realized what he was doing before it was too late, but the incident scarred her none-the-less. Did he really hate her that much to do something like that? The fury she saw in his eyes that night…it chilled her heart. Whatever little hope she had from the marriage vanished after that night. She felt nothing now…nothing.   

“Sonia are you listening?” Yoochun asked, interrupting Sonia’s thoughts.

“Huh? Oh sorry…Umm…what did you say?” Sonia asked, giving her full attention to Yoochun.

“I was asking where Youngjae is.” Yoochun continued.

“Oh he’s sleeping; he should be up in about ten minutes.” Sonia replied. They continued chatting until a knock on the door interrupted them.

Sonia knew who it was even before Yoochun opened the door. That cold feeling returned.

“What do you want?” Yoochun asked in a venomous tone as he faced Jaejoong.

Jaejoong didn’t bother answering Yoochun; his whole attention was on Sonia, who was standing behind Yoochun in the living room.

Their eyes met…no one said anything…until Jaejoong finally broke the silence.

Sonia…” he said affectionately.

Sonia took a sharp intake of breath. The tenderness in Jaejoong’s voice surprised her. He never used that tone with her before.

“Sonia, can I talk to you?...Please…” Jaejoong gently requested. He gave a pleading look when Yoochun protested.

Sonia hesitated, but placed a hand on Yoochun’s shoulder assuring him. “It’s ok…I’ll be fine.” she said in a soft tone.

Jaejoong gave a grateful look, but Yoochun didn’t like the idea one bit. However, seeing the composed look on Sonia’s face he decided to give them some time alone.

“I’ll be right outside if you need me…” Yoochun said. He gave Jaejoong a warning glance before exiting the apartment.

The door closed gently and silence filled the room once again. Neither said anything until Jaejoong took the initiative to make the first move. He stepped forward.

However, his move made Sonia move back a step in defense as he saw alarm enter her eyes. His heart sank at that…it was his fault after all. It was his fault that she was scared of him.

Sonia cursed herself in her mind for showing weakness. She wanted to look strong in front of him. She wanted to show that she wasn’t afraid of him anymore. That she didn’t care what he did anymore. Jaejoong took another cautious step, and this time Sonia stayed firm. She looked at him coldly, showing no emotion on her face. But if Jaejoong calling her name tenderly surprised her…what he did next completely shocked her.

Jaejoong went down on his knees and lowered his head as he apologized to her. “I’m sorry…” he murmured softly, “I’m so sorry…I’m sorry for the way I treated you…I’m sorry for blaming you…I’m sorry for hurting you…I’m sorry for not cherishing you. I know that night wasn’t your fault and yet I kept on blaming you. I’ve been a horrible husband…and I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me…” When he looked up, his eyes were glistening and his face held deep regret.

Sonia swallowed hard, an attempt to stop the tears balling up in her eyes. She opened to say something, but nothing came out. She couldn’t believe the man kneeling in front of her was her husband, the man who hurt her countless times through their marriage. She saw the sincerity in his eyes, but she could not forget the pain he gave her.

Youngjae’s cries saved her from saying anything to Jaejoong at that moment. She rushed to the bedroom and picked up her son, gently patting his back and shushing him. A tear slipped from the corner of her eye before she quickly brushed it away, afraid that Jaejoong might see it. When she turned around Jaejoong was standing by the entrance, his face full of emotions at seeing his son after 2 months.

Youngjae noticed his dad as well. He made gurgling noises and extended his chubby arms towards Jaejoong, asking for his father’s touch. Jaejoong excitedly went towards him, but caught himself and suddenly halted. His eyes shifted to Sonia when he realized she was still uncomfortable by his presence and he was trespassing in her bedroom.

Youngjae began fussing when he saw his father stop, and began to whimper before letting out a wail. Jaejoong immediately took Youngjae into his arms and hugged him tightly. He placed several kisses on Youngjae’s face and buried his face on the curve of Youngjae’s neck, inhaling his baby scent. Youngjae stopped crying and hugged Jaejoong back, liking the familiarity of his father’s strong arms.

Jaejoong then shifted his eyes to Sonia, who was quietly watching them. She hasn’t said anything to him this whole time. He didn’t know what was going through her mind, but gathered up the courage and spoke again, “Please come back home Sonia. It’s so empty without you and Youngjae. I want my family back…please…give me another chance…come back home”, he pleaded.

After another moment of silence Sonia finally spoke, “How can you expect me to forget everything so easily?”

Jaejoong’s heart sank at her words. “You say that the house feels empty without me…My heart’s felt emptiness for more than two years now. How do you plan to fix that?” she asked. When Jaejoong opened his mouth to apologize again, she raised her hand, silencing him. “Enough Jaejoong…you’ve said what you had to say. Now it’s my turn to speak and for you to listen…I’ve wished for you to accept me as your wife ever since we got married. Despite everything you said…I still hoped that maybe…maybe you’ll develop feelings for me…just like I did for you…” Sonia paused to steady her quivering voice before continuing, “But you crossed the line that night.”

“I’m so sorry about that night” Jaejoong said guiltily, “I was drunk…and I was jealous thinking that you started liking Yunho…” “But that doesn’t justify what you tried to do” Sonia said, cutting Jaejoong off.

“Really Jaejoong…do you really hate me that much to attempt something like that?” she asked, her eyes tearing up.

“No…no…it’s not like tha…” Jaejoong began to explain but was cut off again.

“Enough Jaejoong. I’ve had enough. I just don’t have it me to get hurt anymore.” Sonia stated, her decision sounding final. However, she walked closer to Jaejoong and caressed Youngjae’s face, who was completely oblivious to what was happening around him.

“I’ll come back home. For Youngjae’s sake I’ll come back home.” Sonia stated. Hope rose in Jaejoong’s heart but was crushed again with what Sonia said next.

“Youngjae needs his father, but there can never be anything between us…ever.” She then looked at Jaejoong with cold eyes before continuing. “Image is everything right Mr. Kim?”, Sonia asked, using Jaejoong’s own words against him. “I’ll be your wife in front of everyone. The world will see you as a happily married man…but you will never gain access to my heart again. You’ve broken my heart countless times these past two years…and I refuse to give you that power again.”

She took Youngjae from Jaejoong’s arms and turned to place him in his baby chair. She then turned to look at a devastated Jaejoong and said in a chillingly steady voice, “You may leave now. I will need a few days to pack everything before I move back with Youngjae.”

Jaejoong’s heart felt like it was bleeding. He gave Sonia a defeated look and quietly walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

sha87tsyr86: yea..he finally realized his love...look forward to the next chapters... he'll start showing it more.... ;)

shazzyx3: sorry if its short...i felt like it was the right place to stop it...but tats why i went ahead n posted up the next chapter... :)..hahaha omg go do ur hw...lol...well hopefully ur done and this is ur treat...lol...n yea...i'm from bangladesh...but i grew up in USA...well either ways..i dont understand a word of korean or japanese...lol..but i cant help but love dbsk...love the way you lie...who is tat song by?

sakura: awww thats so sweet of u...to log on everyday to see if i updated...well wait no longer! hope u liked this update!

yehabby: thank you! hope u enjoy this chapter...