chapter 3

Love in the Ice

 Jaejoong drove his car towards home from Jessica’s apartment, his mind occupied with what Junsu said. Throwing a lavish party for Sonia‘s birthday means acting like the ideal couple in front of everybody…again. He sighed. He hated acting like the ideal husband in front of everyone…affectionately touching Sonia….showing how much he is in love with her.

The incident from this morning came rushing back to him. Sonia’s downcast eyes, her gentle hands as she fixed his tie…those same hands caressing his bare chest as he passionately kissed her…

He clenched his jaw, suddenly remembering that fateful night two years ago. Even though that night was a blur, he still remembered the feel of her under him…her arms surrounding him…her scent intoxicating him. Anger rose in him like lava, threatening to spill. He made a rough turn, tires screeching, as he saw his house come into view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

*Flashback*

Sonia swayed her hips as she walked down the ramp. When she reached the end, she posed…hips shot and a hand resting on it…her face oozing confidence…her stance bursting with attitude. She saw the cameras flash around her, and caught Jaejoong’s eye, who was sitting on the front row.

He grinned, flashing his dimple…and she knew the show was a success. She walked back down the ramp, turning and posing one last time, before disappearing backstage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

“CHEERS!” everyone yelled and clinked glasses. The Panache team was celebrating the success of yet another show at a local club. Jason Choi’s current line was a major hit among foreigners, and the photographer from Vogue Paris was showing interest in the show stopper, also known as Sonia Park, the current face of Panache.

Sonia sipped her martini as she chatted with Changmin, a fellow model and a good friend.

“I’m so happy for you Sonia, the photographer from Vogue Paris is showing interest in you…that’s such a good opportunity for you.” Changmin stated as he sipped his vodka.

Before Sonia could answer back, someone snorted before an annoying voice spoke up, “Don’t think that just because he showed interest you’re going to actually be on the cover of Vogue. You neither have the talent nor the looks to pull it off.”

Sonia and Changmin turn to the owner of the voice, who was none other than Sandara Park,        Sonia’s rival. Sonia calmly sipped her drink, ignoring Sandara’s comment, but Changmin wasn’t as nice.

“And I suppose you have the talent and looks to be on the cover of Vogue? News flash babe…you’re neither the face of Panache nor the show stopper of the night. Sonia is. She will always be the better model.” Changmin smirked as he wiped Sandara’s y look off her face with his words.

Sandara huffed out an angry breath before walking away from them. “You shouldn’t have been so mean Changmin.” Sonia said watching Sandara’s retreating back. She never wanted to be bitter rivals with her, but Sandara always tried to outdo her.

“Oh please Sonia, that girl needs to be put in her place. Anyways let’s stop talking about her. I wanna dance and you’re gonna dance with me.” Changmin said, dragging a giggling Sonia on to the dance floor.      

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the bar, Jaejoong watched Sonia leave the dance floor after a few songs and head his way. He smiled at her as she plopped down on the seat next to him and picked up the martini she abandoned earlier.

After a sip she looked at Jaejoong and smiled back. “Thank you so much for everything. I’m here because you gave me the chance to prove myself.” Sonia said in a grateful tone.

Jaejoong waved her off, “There’s no need for that. You always were a super model…I just introduced you into my world. Besides, your Panache’s best at the moment…I should be thanking you for your hard work.”

Sonia smiled at him, her heart fluttering a little when he smiled again. She has had the biggest crush on him since their first meeting. He was perfect in every way. He was handsome, successful, fun, kind, and not to mention ridiculously y…who wouldn’t want to be with him?

Sonia took another sip of her martini before she started feeling a little dizzy. “Whoa…I think I had a bit too much to drink tonight. I should stop before I get completely wasted.” Sonia said, setting her half full drink aside.

“Here, let me finish your drink so it won’t go to waste.” Jaejoong downed the drink in one go and then went back to nursing his whiskey. 

After a few more minutes of chit-chat, Jaejoong started to feel dizzy. “Mr. Kim…are you ok?” Sonia asked slightly concerned. She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, before he fell forward. Panicked, Sonia quickly grabbed Jaejoong before he hit the floor and place his arm around her shoulder, supporting him.

Sonia looked around the club, trying to find Junsu so he could take Jaejoong home, but he was nowhere in sight. She then decided to take matters into her own hands and left the club to take Jaejoong home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

She stumbled into Jaejoong’s bedroom, trying to support him as much as possible. She place him on the bed and was about to leave when he grabbed her hand and pulled her on top of him.

“Mr. Kim what are you….?” Sonia began to say but was silenced when he placed a finger on her lips.

He then rolled on top of her and gently caressed her face. “You’re so beautiful…” he slurred.

Sonia was captivated by his touch. It sent goose bumps down her arms and butterflies in her stomach. She was a little tipsy herself, so she didn’t think about pushing him away.

They looked into each other’s eyes before Jaejoong lowered himself and captured Sonia’s lips.  

*Flashback End*

Sonia opened her eyes, coming back to the present as she felt Youngjae fuss in her arms. He started whimpering a little, so she shifted him to her other and continued to feed him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong slammed the front door as he stepped into his mansion, anger still evident in his movements. He made his way upstairs to his and Sonia’s bedroom, ready to scold her, for whatever reason. But much to his surprise, she wasn’t in the room. ‘Strange…it’s’ almost 2 am, where could she be?’

Jaejoong then turned, his feet taking him to the nursery room. When he opened the door he saw Sonia on the rocking chair with Youngjae. But what caught his attention was the cream colored skin of Sonia’s as she fed his son. Jaejoong quickly diverted his gaze in order to not get caught staring at her.

Sonia quickly covered herself up as she heard the nursery door open. She felt shyness overcome her as her eyes landed on Jaejoong. Her eyes then met his icy cold orbs, and the warmth she felt earlier left her. ‘Is he still mad about this morning?’ Sonia wondered.

Jaejoong gave her the coldest stare he could muster, trying to avoid staring at her now covered . “We need to talk. Hurry up and put Youngjae to sleep. I’ll wait in the bedroom.” With that said, Jaejoong left the nursery, leaving a very curious and nervous Sonia.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

He shook his head as he waited in the bedroom, trying to get the image of Sonia feeding Youngjae out of his mind. He refused to believe that the sight affected him…that it slightly weakened his knees. The thought that she had that power over him infuriated Jaejoong.

When he heard the door open, he got ready to insult her due to spite. But the insult got caught in his throat. There goes that feeling again…the weakening of the knees as he watched Sonia come in with Youngjae in her arms. And he clenched his jaw, mad that she affected him that way twice in the same night.

“I thought I told you to put him to sleep? Didn’t I make it clear that I needed to talk to you?” Jaejoong spat, making Sonia flinch at his bitter tone.

“I’m…I’m sorry…it’s just that….Young…Youngjae is restless tonight. I couldn’t leave him by himself.” Sonia stammered.

For a moment Jaejoong forgot his hatred. His expression softened as he frowned, his eyes reflecting concern for his son. He went closer and touched Youngjae’s cheek.

“He doesn’t seem to have fever. Did he eat properly today?” Jaejoong asked worried, not realizing the close distance between him and Sonia, as he caressed his son’s face. When Sonia didn’t say anything, he looked up to realize she was only a few inches away from him.

Sonia remained silent, completely aware of his closeness. She could even smell his cologne.

Jaejoong stepped back abruptly, clearing his throat. “Anyways, I wanted to tell you that you need to start planning your birthday party. The fashion world is expecting something lavish since you are my wife.” His icy cold tone was back again.

Before Sonia could reply, Jaejoong turned around and went into the bathroom to take a shower.  Sonia sighed as she made her way to the bed. She placed Youngjae in the middle and laid down on her side of the bed. She gently patted him and hummed him a lullaby as both drifted off to sleep.

When Jaejoong came out from his shower, he saw his wife and son sleeping peacefully. He quietly slipped onto his side of the bed to not disturb them, and turned his back to them, refusing to acknowledge the effect they had on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late into the night, Youngjae fussed slightly in his sleep. A sleeping Jaejoong unconsciously turned and placed his hand over Sonia’s, the same hand which she had over Youngjae. Youngjae stopped fussing when he felt the warmth of both his parents, and all three of them soundly slept for the rest of the night.