chapter 4

Love in the Ice

 Sonia walked into the lobby of the Panache building. The receptionist smiled and let her through without asking any questions. Sonia took the elevator up to the top floor, the floor where Jaejoong and Junsu’s offices were located.

That morning, she woke to a sleeping Youngjae and an otherwise empty bedroom. Jaejoong seemed to have left for work extra early. A few hours later she got a call from Park Yoochun, a well known photographer and really good friend. Yoochun and Sonia became friends when she was still a struggling model. He was her first photographer. Yoochun went on a fashion assignment abroad around the same time Sonia got pregnant, and they lost touch. However, he was now back from his two year assignment.  

So you ask what has that got to do with her coming to Panache? Yoochun wanted to have lunch with Sonia today and catch up.

Sonia has been calling Jaejoong all morning to let him know that she will be out with a friend, but he hasn’t been picking up her calls. No surprise there. So Sonia decided to simply drop by before her lunch date with Yoochun. At first she hesitated to come…knowing that Jaejoong won’t be too pleased in seeing her. But she wanted to let him know none-the-less that she might be late coming home tonight. She stepped out of the elevator and was greeted by a huge poster of Jessica Jung.

She walked up to the picture and longingly looked at it…her picture used to be there as well.

“I still say your picture looked the best on that wall.”Sonia turned to the owner of the voice and came face-to-face with a smiling Junsu. She smiled back as he gave her a peck on the cheek, greeting her.

“What are you doing here?” Junsu asked curious.

“I came to tell Jaejoong something…is he in his cabin?” Sonia asked as casually as possible, trying to sound like it’s the most natural thing for her to visit her husband.

“You’re right on time. He just came back from a meeting. Go right ahead.” Junsu replied before going on his way.

Sonia reached Jaejoong’s cabin door and took a deep breath before knocking. When Jaejoong replied, she entered. It’s amazing how a person’s expression can change in a second. Jaejoong’s expression went from curious to frosty right before her eyes.

“What are you doing here and what do you want?” Jaejoong asked emotionlessly.

“Sor…sorry to…sorry to bother you…you wouldn’t answer your phone, so…” Sonia stammered.

“Come to the point. I don’t have all day.” Jaejoong said cutting her off.

Sonia took a deep calming breath before continuing, “I just came to tell you that I’ll be going out with a friend today…” “So?” Jaejoong rudely cut her off again.

 He shuffled some papers on his desk before continuing, “I don’t care what you do and who you do it with.” Jaejoong said, dismissing her. He didn’t bother looking back up, even when he heard his cabin door gently close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong entered his mansion to find one of his maids still there. She bowed in front of him as he asked curiously, “What are you still doing here? It’s…” he looked at his watch, “11:30 pm.”

“Forgive me sir, but madam is not back yet and she gave me specific instructions to stay with Youngjae sir until one of you came back.” The maid said before bowing again and making her exit.

Jaejoong frowned at what the maid said. ‘Not back yet? Where could she be this late at night?’ he thought to himself. Then he remembered Sonia mentioning earlier today that she was going out with a friend. ‘But who would she be with this late at night?...’

Jaejoong shrugged off the question. ‘Like he cared…if he’s lucky she won’t come back.’ Jaejoong thought stubbornly.

He took a quick shower and hurried to the nursery. He didn’t spend as much time as he liked with Youngjae, since he was with Sonia most of the time. Jaejoong reached the nursery and his usually cold face softened when he saw Youngjae in his crib, playing with his teddy bear.

“Hi son…” Jaejoong murmured as he lifted Youngjae into his arms, pressing a gentle kiss on his temple. Youngjae cooed, putting his chubby little hands on Jaejoong’s cheeks. When Jaejoong smiled, Youngjae poked his dimple, flashing his own in the process.

Jaejoong sat with Youngjae in the rocking chair and softly hummed a lullaby. When Youngjae’s eyes finally closed, Jaejoong’s eyes glanced at the clock…12:15 am.

He wasn’t waiting…of course he wasn’t waiting…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Sonia stepped into the mansion at 12:45 am, expecting the maid to still be there. She frowned when she didn’t see her anywhere. She specifically told the maid to stay with Youngjae until she or Jaejoong came back. Does that mean Jaejoong…? No…he never comes back this early. The maid was probably around somewhere.

Sonia felt emptiness in her chest, Jaejoong’s words still ringing in her ears from this afternoon. His words have always been harsh…and they have always pierced Sonia’s heart until she felt nothing. All that was left was numbness.

She went straight to the nursery, wanting to check up on Youngjae before she went for a shower…and she was welcomed by a warm sight…

 There was Jaejoong…sleeping on the rocking chair while holding a sleeping Youngjae.

Sonia watched them for a few moments, soaking in every detail…capturing this moment in her memory. It was rare to see father and son together like this…completely unguarded and at peace.  

She then moved as quietly as possible, taking a blanket and placing it over their sleeping forms. She lightly caressed Youngjae’s cheek before kissing his head. She then glanced at Jaejoong’s sleeping face…she knew she shouldn’t have…but she couldn’t help herself. She placed a gentle kiss on Jaejoong’s forehead as well, before quietly leaving, closing the door behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong opened his eyes, catching a glimpse of Sonia’s retreating back, before he simply looked at the now closed door. He stared at it for several moments, lost in his thoughts; until he felt Youngjae shift in his arms.

“sssshhhhh….” Jaejoong softly said as he went back to soothing his son.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

hope you're liking this fanfic so far...