The Roof

The Underworld and Heaven

 

Tiffany’s POV

Tao smiles at me but then his head snaps up and his smile melts.

“Get up, quickly.” He says urgently and then he rushes to the window and opens it so quickly the glass breaks. It rains down on his hands and he starts to bleed. “Go, now.” He says.

“Ok.” I go to the window and start to climb out, he grabs me and helps me. Now I can hear the pounding on the door. As soon as I’m out, Tao starts to climb out as well. I reach out to help him but as soon as I do that, he’s pulled away. “Tao!” I scream and dive back into the room ignoring the glass cutting into my thigh. A vampire is holding Tao against the wall.

“What have we here?” She hisses. He smirks and wrenches her hand away and punches her hard in the side of her head; all that’s left is a pile of dust.

“Ok, now we go.” He says ushering me to the window. I go out without question. “Go fly up to the roof over there, quickly.” He points up.

“What about you?” I ask bringing my wings out.

“I’ll get up somehow.” He forces a smile. I fly up in no time and then I look down from roof. He’s jumping from wall to wall, grabbing little ledges. “Well, they found us didn’t they?” He says quietly when he’s up.

“You think?” I grab his hand tightly. “Where to now?” I ask.

“I don’t know, lets just try to keep out of sight so we should maybe hide under the blocks here?” He points to the stone blocks you see every now and then here. “It’s our best bet anyway unless you want to ditch the whole thing and go to your family?” He suggests. I give him a look but he’s avoiding my gaze.

“No thanks, I’ll stay with you and don’t argue with me.” I say dragging him to a block with me and pull him down.

While we were there, I thought about my dream, Tao not healing and then most hauntingly–BOOM! I snap out of my thoughts just in time to see the block in front of us explode in a flash of white. In no time, Tao pulls me out and starts running across the roof. Then he jumps with me onto the next roof slightly lifting me up so my feet don’t touch the ground when we land and then he full-on sprints without setting me down. I look back to see a group of vampires chasing us. Tao jumps again but this time onto the ground. I scream as someone spears me in the back causing both Tao and I to fall. Tao is up immediately and pulls the spear out and throws it back and the thrower disintegrates. My back is healed as he helps me up.

“You alright?” He asks, his eyes red again.

“Yeah sure.” I reply. He nods and turns to the group of vampires.

They’re whispering, “Death.” Repeatedly. Tao picks up the spear and hurls it at the one in the middle.

“There’s your death.” He says. The other two lunge for him and he falls to the ground. He throws one off him and it hits the wall. I see the fallen spear and dive for it at the same time the one Tao threw off does; I poke it in the eye and stab it with the spear.

“Roll over!” I shout at Tao, he doesn’t hesitate and does what I say forcing the vampire on its side. I raise the spear and bring it down on its chest. Tao stands up brushing dust off his hands.

“Thank you.” He says fetching another spear.

“No problem.” I look around only just noticing we’re near the park. Tao starts to enter and I run to catch up with him, something’s wrong though, the ground is filled with dust.

“Come on, we have to go now.” Tao says grabbing my hand and starts to run but then everything goes black.