Confession

The Underworld and Heaven

 

Tiffany’s POV

“No, I’m not going.” I say.

“NO!” Tao snaps, I still don’t move. “Please, go.” He begs quietly. I stand up slowly. “Quickly, please.” His voice rising. I turn and walk away, I look back and see him sprint towards the park. I run after him, but just as I get to the edge of the park, he’s disappeared.

The next day, Tao’s there before I am.

“Hey, what happened yesterday? Why did you run away?” I ask him.

“The pain was too much so I had to leave for some fresh air. While I was running, I fainted.” He explains. My eyes narrow, he’s lying. I can tell he is but I don’t say anything. Just as he opens his mouth to say something, the door’s bells ring and three girls come in. I recognize the blonde one from two days ago. They’re wearing short shorts and shirts that expose one of their shoulders. I turn my head back to organizing the sweets.

“Hey, my name’s Ashley, the girl with brown hair is called Sophie and the other one is called Brittany. What’s your name?” I look up, it’s the girl with blonde hair who’s talking, she’s chewing gum and is leaning on the counter batting her eyes at Tao.

“Hello, my name is Tao,” Then he adds. “What would you like?”

“What you’re making right there.” She says chewing her gum loudly.

“It’s not for sale.” He says.

“Can’t you give me some?” She puts her hand on Tao’s arm and I scowl. He glances at me then back at Ashley.

“Sorry, no. Because I’m busy with the sweets I’m making, maybe you should go to Tiffany to get some other sweets.” He nods his head towards me and takes her hand off his arm. She shoots me a look.

“Here’s my number.” Ashley takes a pen out and writes what should be her number on Tao’s hand. Then she and her friends leave the store.

“That was weird.” He smiles lightly at me.

“Are you going to call her?” I ask.

“Of course not.” He smirks and starts washing the number off his hand. He catches me looking at what he’s making. “Want to try some, I just finished it.” He pops a piece in my mouth. It’s toffee filled with honey.

“Mmm, it’s really good.” I give him two thumbs up. He grins. I glance out the window and see that Ashley is glaring at me jealously. I wave and Tao looks to where I’m waving. Ashley just stomps away. Tao smirks again.

“I don’t think you like her too much.” He says.

“You think?” I stick my tongue out and place my hand on the counter then draw it back quickly. Blood is dripping onto the floor from where the knife cut my hand. I curse and quickly try to hide it.

“Let me see it.” Tao says trying to get to my hand. I shake my head but as always, he's too stubborn but grabs my hand gently. Just then, my hand starts to heal and Tao watches as the cut closes and the blood vanishes. He gasps and lets go of my hand.

“T-Tao?” I say hesitantly after a moment, he looks at me but doesn’t say anything. “Please say something.” I beg, he opens his mouth and then closes it again.

“Sorry to ask this but…what are you?” He finally asks. I close the shutters so no one can look in. Then I concentrate and let my wings sprout, “You’re an angel.” He says sadly. I nod and bring my wings back in. “I-I’m a werewolf.” He sighs and closes his eyes. I wait for him to continue, the he opens his eyes and his irises are red. “You’re from Heaven and I’m from Hell and we work in a sweet shop.” He laughs harshly and then slides down to the floor.

“What do you mean by that?” I kneel down next to him.

“It’s not supposed to be like that. I looked in my family books and I’m sorry to say this but your kind despises any creature that comes from Hell. We’re the creatures that come from the worst parts of Hell so I can understand why in our history, angels decided that every time they see us, they destroy us. Yesterday I found out why. While you’re in beast form, you’re stronger and faster but you can’t control it. If anything or anyone comes in your path, you kill it. And it doesn’t help that you look like death itself. ” He says and his eyes glow as if feeding on his anger. I must have looked alarmed at his eyes. “Sorry.” He says and looks away, his eyes burning with shame.

“Tao,” I say, I bring him to look at me again and I can see the sadness in his eyes. I take his hand. “I know my family doesn’t like your kind but I like you and I care about you.” I say gently. His eyes turn brown as his gaze softens.

“Truly?” He asks.

“Truly.” I nod. He smiles weakly. Just then, the phone rings. I stand up to pick it up. “Hello?”

“Hello Tiffany, I just wanted to let you know. You can leave early today and so can Tao.” My boss says.

“Thank you, sir.” I say and then he hangs up. I turn to Tao, “We have the day off today.” I tell him. He smiles with more energy this time. “Come on, we’re going for a walk.” I say and grab his hand and drag him to the park.