Drabble #3

Sunflower [One Shot Collection Staring Boram]

Drabble #3


Jiyeon was perched on the third branch of an oak tree when Boram found her. The younger girl was eating a maize cob and did not seem to care that someone was glaring at her. Boram knew Jiyeon knew she was there from the way her body shifted slightly to face away from the older girl.
 "Get down,"
No reply, not that she expected any. Jiyeon was currently chewing on the kernels like her life depended on it.
 "Jiyeon if you get caught..."
Again the girl kept silent, though, she was chewing more forcefully.
 "Fine, then. Act like a child. When those soldiers find you, you'll be all alone and- and defenceless,"
Boram waited, holding her hands akimbo like the way the elders do when they are chasticing wrong doers. A cob fell down at her feet. Then another. Jiyeon moved to the stem of the giant tree and made her way down as easily as she would have walked on the ground.
 "Don't give me that look," Jiyeon said when she was at the base of the tree.
 "You know you're not supposed to indulge in the harvest,"
 "I was hungry," she replied as if it was the only true thing left on their patch of land. Boram knew Jiyeon had a flair for dramatics. She said everything with a gesture or an exaggerated expression.
 "So am I but I restrain myself," Boram said puffing her chest. Jiyeon rolled her eyes so heavily her friend thought they would fall off. She bent down and picked the evidence up. Then she dug a shallow holes and deposited the cobs.
 "There. Happy?"
 "Just promise you won't do this again."
 "I promise,"
 "Jiyeon!" Boram wanted to throw her arms up in frustration. "Like you mean it. Promise me,"
 "I already said it,"
 "You're being insincere!"
 "Well, that. Is. Because..." Boram could practically see the other girl's brain working.
 "You're going to do it again," Boram finished for her. Jiyeon flashed her quick smile. The older girl wanted to yell at her. Warn her. Do anything really but she felt drained. The work on the plantation was strenous enough. Now she has to look after someone who was seven years younger.
"I haven't been caught yet," Jiyeon said with a shrug.
 "You... will ran out of luck,"
 "Hmm? Maybe." She replied in a disbelieving tone.
Boram did not complete what she wanted to say, that when her luck does run out, there was a big chance of something bad happening to Jiyeon but everyone knew that already. The problem is that she was not sure Jiyeon understood.