Ethereal

Sunflower [One Shot Collection Staring Boram]

Ethereal  

(kpop_fan21's request)

 

 She was her friend, her lover, her whole world. They were bond by flesh and soul and separated by power. As outlandish as it sounded for she was another woman, she was sure they were soul-mates and their love would be eternal. Even now as the flames danced closer to her skin, Boram could not find it in her to hate her. She wanted to, she really tried, but even as they took her birth right, kept her locked in a dark isolated hut and dragged to a stake erected in the middle of the city, her city, she still felt that love.

 Only thing Boram wanted is for a tall, slender figure break through the crowd so she could see her again. The air became acrid with the stench of the oils they used. Mercy, they called it, for her death would be quicker. The wind picked up and the fire twirled and swirled madly around her, the sparks burning her skin.. Boram could feel it the back of her leg. She bit her lips hard enough to draw blood to keep from screaming. Her hair whipped so hard she could barely see anything. Then, she heard it. That sweet, husky voice, now shrill in agony.

 "My Queen!"

 Boram wished it was calm again so she could gaze upon her. As if nature was listening, the air became still so suddenly that Boram's eyes remained shut tight, her head hanging low. She opened them and, through her hair, saw Jiyeon standing alone only a few metres in front of her.

 "Jiyeon," Boram was so elated, she could feel herself moving forward despite being tied to the stake. When she looked down, she released that the ropes that bound her had vanished. The wood she was standing on was unburnt and very dry. "So it was true. You are a witch,"

Jiyeon nodded wiping fresh tears from her face. "I am one," she said simply. "You knew it even if you told Kwang Soo otherwise,"

 "With you, it does not matter," Boram said managing to climb down from the stack of wood. "Nothing about you will ever be evil in my eyes,"

 "I did-"

 "It does not matter," Boram told her firmly. They were now standing so close she could reach out and touch her but when she did, her hands felt nothing. It was as if Jiyeon was solid and intangible at the same time. "What is going on?"

 "I am sorry," she sobbed taking a step back. "The pain, I am trying to take it away. That is the most I can do. I am not a true witch, my Queen,"

 "At least you are here, aren't you?" Boram asked taking a step forward.

Nodding, Jiyeon said, "I am standing at back of the crowd. I can't see you or hear you but it is close enough. I'm sorry,"

 "It is done, Jiyeon, do not apologise. I love you regardless,"

With a strangled cry, Jiyeon fell to her knees. It hurt to see her like that. Perhaps she needed repulsion from Boram to ease some of the guilt but the latter did not if she was capable. Their time together was too precious to Boram.

 "I'll kill them. I promise you I'll have their hearts and offer them to you. I promise," Jiyeon said standing up but she looked frail and uncertain of herself.

 "Perhaps then you'll join me sooner," Boram smiled. She had small hope it would help the other girl. It did but not in the way she imagined. There was no laughter nor did any eye roll. Jiyeon stood taller, her eyes burned with determination.

 "I have that to look forward to, my Queen."

 "Don't be silly, Jiyeon," Boram spat. Her vision was clouded by tears. "You have to live."

 "I want to look you in the eye again. I must kill them." Jiyeon stated.

 Boram opened to say something but her voice failed her. At first she thought it was the grief, then she felt a peculiar sensation like she was disappearing. Jiyeon's eyes widened and she tried to embrace her but there was barrier between them. Boram could not describe it except that it was cold. It was pushing her backwards while Jiyeon remained on the other side screaming her name. She had never said it before because it is not my place. To hear it at last, Boram felt she was ready. If there was life after this, she would find Jiyeon.