Drabble #2

Sunflower [One Shot Collection Staring Boram]
Drabble #2


 It took them a few hours to scale the stone wall surrounding the old city. Boram had lost almost all feeling in her arms when she finally hoisted herself over onto a thick shelf built for archers. Marielle was already unsheathing her sword. She did not look tired, sweeping her eyes below in case there was someone keeping guard. Boram knew she could not ask for a breather so she removed her sword, a rapier designed just for her, from it's sheath just in case. Just look busy.
 "How long do we have?" she asked weakly.
 "Morning and then we leave," Marielle answered shortly. She went down on her knees, spat on her palms and dropped down. Boram could hear the distinct sound of her feet hitting the next, much wider, shelf. You can do this. She quickly followed suit using the same method, with her eyes shut, of course. Her own feet touched the stone surface seemingly for a second before they gave out and she was on her knees trying not scream the next.
 "Dammit, Boram!" Marielle hissed. Even if the only light they had was the stars, Boram knew the look she had on her face. Marielle threw her sickle down and wrapped her rope around it. "Here, just climb down,"
Boram did not move. Something told her that her legs were badly hurt. She received a sharp slap on her back.
 "Let's go,"
 She pushed the sickle in further into the stone, took the rope into her hands and began descending. Her knees could not be straightened, Boram found to her disgust. When she tried, while still making her way down, pain shot up her leg to her pelvis. Her clothes stuck to her legs and she knew it was not because of sweat. There was some relief that she had to more or less slide down instead of using the wall. Her second landing could have been smoother. Boram was sure her companion had heard her whimper. Marielle grabbed the rope and threw it back up as hard as she could. It disappeared, although Boram imagined she could see a part of peaking at her.
 This time they ran towards to a stair case. They paused every few steps listening for anything. Frankly, Boram felt that it was too quiet. For a city has never lost a seige despite being in conflict almost all the time, they were certainly lax.
 "Do you think-"
 "Don't. The last thing we need to do is to be so scared we don't get anything done," Marielle said quietly.
Down the worn out steps they went until they were nearly at the ground with Boram almost completely out of breath. She could make out the outline of the barracks which were dark, imposing and silent. Boram felt uneasy. This was easy. Nothing is ever this easy in a war. Maybe they got lucky. Or, Boram thought as she saw torches being lit all around them, maybe not.


Note: Again, phone. It's actually fun posting random drabbles. Might turn this something longer because I have an idea of what the next part should be.