Wrong (Part 3)

Sunflower [One Shot Collection Staring Boram]
Wrong (Part Three)
Word count: 2666 words
 
 "So, how was it?" In Jung had pounced on her the moment she came home. She sounded excited for some reason.
 "Why should I? Do I interrogate you every time you go out?"
 "No because I tell you everything. Now tell me-no, wait, my room."
She grabbed Boram's hand and dragged her. The older girl wanted to tell her how tired she was but it was not like In Jung cared. She closed the door behind them and collapsed on the bed.
 "Now speak."
 "Fine. We stayed at the restaurant for about two hours. She was doing most of the talking and I just ate, listening." 
 "That's it?"
 "Yeah, what did you expect? We have little common beyond working in the same field, Jungie."
 "It was that bad?"
Boram thought about it. Although, it would not go down as the best dinner she has had, it was kind of nice. Meeting new people that is.
 "It wasn't bad and it wasn't exactly the best," she explained. "Why are you so anxious?"
 "She likes you Boram and as a friend to both of you I wanted to know how things went." In Jung answered.
 "Why would she like me?"
 
~~~~~~
 Why indeed. They hardly exchanged words before then. It did not make sense to Boram then and even now. It was a new year, a new beginning. How cliché. The year started with the best possible news- they had a two week vacation. Granted it was because the Boss had a . Boram was determined to use the time to rehabilitate her body.
 "Ready to go," Jiyeon said holding up a duffel bag.
 "That's all you’re carrying?" In Jung asked incredulously. She had two suitcases with her.
 "I'll be in robes the whole time."
Boram had the same idea. She was only carrying a few outfits. The three of them had decided on a spa located in the outskirts of Busan. It had promised rejuvenation with the upside of having no contact with the outside world for a limited time. 
 "Fine, then let's go."
The trip took a few hours including stops for food.
 "Who know what they'll feed us?" Jiyeon said before taking a huge bites out of the cheese burger. Boram agreed with her but knew it would be best to stay silent.
 "Jiyeon, you're disgusting. I'm going to wait in the car." In Jung snapped after watching the younger stuff herself for a few minutes. She stood up and stormed off outside where her car was parked.
 "Sheesh, what's gotten into her?" Jiyeon whispered. 
 "She has been so pissed all week,"
 "But why though?"
Boram shrugged. "I have no idea but when she calms down, I'll ask her."
 "Good, then you can tell me,"
 "So that afterwards you tell Jieun?" Boram asked sharply. Jiyeon flinched and tried to hide it by shifting roughly in her seat.
 "I said I was sorry."
 "I get it now, Ji. She is your best friend, she's your age and you feel suffocated around us sometimes but don't her anything else."
 "Fine. Quit lecturing me," Jiyeon said pouting. Boram wanted to tell her that would not work on her because she was not Eunjung but decided against it. They were here to mend their relationship. Even though Boram said she forgave Jiyeon, it was just talk. She was still angry and a bit bitter but she does understand the younger girl somewhat. 
 "Okay, I'm done," Jiyeon announced patting her stomach. "You didn't eat much, unnie,"
Boram rolled her eyes. "Compared to you, of course not."
 They stood up and walked out of the restaurant. Boram had paid for their meal earlier out of habit. Jiyeon took her hand into hers and squeezed it. It was one of those moments when everything felt normal. In Jung was frowning in the driver's seat when they both entered and sat in the back seats. Without a word, she started the car and tore out of the parking lot. Jiyeon and Boram shared a look that was unfortunately caught by In Jung.
 "What? If you have something to say, you say it!" she hissed, glaring at them through the rear view mirror.
 "How about later? We'll just look at the-"
 "You think I'm being unreasonable?"
 "No, unnie, we didn't think, okay? It's just that-"
 "Drop that 'I'm such a good person. I've changed' act." In Jung said, imitating Jiyeon's husky voice. Boram grabbed Jiyeon's wrist before she could do something that they would regret later. The car ride was filled with painful silence punctuated with Jiyeon trying to make conversion.
 "We're here." In Jung said two hours later. They were outside of a multi-storey building that was almost blindingly white. The area around it was wooded and all the trees looked to be the same size and species. This gave it a secluded feeling, like it was completely separated from everything they knew. When she had gotten used to the effects of the sun and white paint, Boram realised that the building looked Greek with its columns that had ornate carvings. The front doors was wide open. The entrance itself was side enough to allow all three to walk together side by side. The inside was even more surreal, as though they were in another world, another time. They were standing in what looked like a hall that was as tall as the building itself. There were two statues of scantily dressed men guarding the next door.
 "Damn, Yeonie-unnie. This place is so awesome." Jiyeon said staring at the statues.
 "I told you so." In Jung replied cockily. At least she wasn't angry.
 "Are we supposed to knock on that door or something?" Boram asked.
 "Here, hold my bags. I'll knock."
She grabbed the metal knock and hit the door thrice before stepping back.
 "This is so unreal." Jiyeon said. She had both In Jung's bags, one had wheels and the other, bigger one, had a strap which she put on her free shoulder. She did not seem to mind the weight much. "Why are you staring at me?"
 Before Boram could reply, the door opened slowly, filling the hall with a deep groaning sound. A woman, middle aged and Caucasian, strode towards them wearing a red gown that trailed behind her. It look like something out of that confusing movie with Brad Pit that Sunyoung liked.
 "Hello, my name is Adonia and I'm guessing you're Park In Jung, Park Jiyeon and Jeon Boram." Her Korean was impeccable even with her accent. They all just nodded. "My appearance must surprise you but it goes with the theme of this place."
 "Could you explain the theme?" In Jung asked. Boram was glad she was the brave one.
 "Most people who come here have demanding jobs," Adonia began, "and we want to provide a kind of environment where they won't think so much. It looks like something out of another dimension, doesn't it? That's the aim. To disconnect them from their stressful lives."
 "Does it usually work?"
 "That is all up to the person. We have to meet halfway." Adonia answered. "Now, leave your bags here. No, no one will go through your things. This isn't school; we may have rules but we won't enforce them. Come with me."
 They followed her down a long corridor, whose walls were pale green, to another set of doors.
 "You will join three other women for your last meal before the detoxification." Adonia told them before opening the door. Boram was more interested in the dinning room than the occupants. The room was longer than it was wide, had a dinning table that could sit more than a dozen people on each side. It had a column every few metres and a high arch between them. There were openings that would work as windows but had no glass, letting the sun enter unrestricted. Her eyes finally rested on the people seating who had stopped eating when the trio walked in: Juhyun, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon.
 "I'll leave you alone to interact."
 
~~~~~~
 "So, how are you guys?" Hyoyeon said after nearly twenty minutes of silence.
 "Fine."
 "Good."
 "So-so."
Boram continued to eat whatever she saw without paying attention to what it was. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Taeyeon watching her. To keep from snapping, Boram kept full. 
 "Slow down Boram, you'll choke." In Jung said softly. How about I choke you instead?
 "So Jiyeon I heard that you got casted recently." Hyoyeon tried again. Boram could tell she was most uncomfortable out of all of them.
 "Hmm? Oh yeah, the Boss got the director to consider and you?"
 "Nothing big," Hyoyeon shrugged and smiled good-naturedly.
 "Jungie's leaving Jaemi .You'd be a great fit for it,"
 "Radio is not really my thing," Hyoyeon told her crinkling her nose.
 "Okay, hear me out, you get to come in by lunch and spend four hours talking about whatever." Jiyeon said.
 "That sounds tiring," 
 "And you get to choose what music to play." Jiyeon said. Hyoyeon just chuckled and shook her head.
Boram sighed quietly before speaking up. "Jungie said something about a sponsored dance competition. You get to be the host and maybe squeeze in a few stages of your own."
 "Fine, fine, I'll think about it."
 "Seriously, Hyoyeon-unnie, it's a great gig. The only reason Jungie left was because of the Boss."
Hyoyeon repeated what she had said and it was quiet again. Boram chanced a glance at Taeyeon who was picking at her food. The doors opened but it was another woman. A Korean this time.
 "Come with me please." she said. Boram wiped with a silk napkin and stood up. She was beside the woman and then out of the door before anyone else.
 "Where are we going exactly?" she asked her as she was led, with the other in town, through a series of corridors and stair.
 "To get a bath and have your new clothes fitted," the woman said smiling warmly at her. Boram found herself smiling in return.
 They finally reached the showers. Inside each cubicle was a bath robe, a pail with warm water and a single, sweet smelling bar of soap. Although Boram missed her high pressure shower head, she could get used to living like this. She tied her hair up high because she doubted they would have a blow dryer.
 "This place is so weird," Hyoyeon said. Her voice sounded muffled. "Thanks for inviting me, Taeyeon-unnie."
 "Sure, no problem."
Boram was still soaping herself, mainly because she loved the soap's scent, when she heard several doors opening.
 "Hey, Rammie, we're going ahead." 
 "Wait, what? How will I know where you are going?" Boram called.
 "First door on your right." the woman who brought them there answered.
 Cursing, Boram began pouring water on herself quickly, not caring that she missed most of her body. Why would they leave her? She wore the robes, stopping a second to notice how soft and fluffy they were, before opening her cubicle door. Just as she opened hers, another opened but it was, unfortunately, Taeyeon's. She was closing her robes as Boram walked past her.
 "Where did they go?"
 "First door on the right side." Boram told her gritting her teeth. She hated how casual Taeyeon sounded like it had not been nearly two years since they last spoke.
 "Let's go together."
Breath. Don't punch her. Boram walked in front of her making sure to put some distance between them. They went until the end of the corridor when they saw the stair case.
 "Are we going up or down?"
 "We split up. I'll go upstairs and you go down."
 Boram went up the stairs quickly to the next floor. It looked empty but she caught snippets of conversation. She hurried along and came to a large opening. There were about a dozen people. They were dressed in gowns and tunics of all colour and were conversing with one another. Boram wondered if they worked at the spa or if they were guests. She walked towards a woman her age who was standing alone besides a table that had only fruits and a large oddly shaped jug.
 "Excuse me, can you tell me where the clothes are fitted?"
 "Two floors down. Are you here alone?"
 "No, I came with my friends. Thank you," Boram said as she moved away.
 "You look familiar." The woman stated. She had her eyes narrowed and looked at Boram like a prey. A reporter.
 "I'm sure you have me mistaken with someone else."
Not waiting for her to speak, Boram went out and bumped into Taeyeon who was just about to enter. She grabbed her by the wrist and began pulling her away.
 "Hey! I found-"
 "Reporter," Boram answered simply. When they reached the stairwell, she let go of the hand quickly, wiped hers on her robe and went down. They found the others laughing a short while later as they were being measured.  Boram's mood had taken a tumble so she ignored them and only spoke when asked any questions by the workers. This was supposed to be a time that Boram could finally relax. After a long year of work and therapy that left her drained, this was supposed to be her reward. She had finally beat her demons and she wanted a few days to complete her recovery. Although she never told the others, it show have been obvious especially to In Jung. 
 "All done. You can expect the dress by tomorrow morning," her tailor, a short man, only a few inches taller, with a lined face and a bulbous nose, said. 
 "Thank you." Boram bowed. She wordlessly joined the others who had waited for her this time. They were taken up those same stairs until they were at the top floor where all the bedrooms were based. Boram's room was about the seventh from the stairs and it faced Jiyeon's.
 "At least we're not sharing rooms," the youngest girl said excitedly. She entered her room and let out a low whistle. "Yeonnie must have paid a fortune for this."
 Boram agreed with her when she saw her room. The room had a king sized, four post bed with a canopy, a table that had a fruit basket, a bottle of wine and a gaunlet. It even had it's own bathroom with rustic designs, a wooden bath tub and platinum faucets. The best part was the ceiling that had, what she guessed to be, a painting of an ancient battlefield. So many characters, so much detail. Boram could spend hours taking in everything. She wondered if it was the same in all the other rooms.
 "Wow, yours is different." Jiyeon said coming up from behind. "My room has some kind of nature painting or something. Want to exchange?"
 "Not really."
 "Come on, unnie, please,"
 "Leave before I disrobe, Ji." Boram said making a show of untying the ropes.
 "Eww fine." Jiyeon said. She turned to leave when she froze for a few seconds and then engulfed Boram in  a hug. "Are we okay?"
 "Yes, Ji. I can't be mad at the both of you at the same time,"
 "Who? Yeonie? Why would you be mad at her?"
 "How coincidental that Taeyeon and I are here at the same time, don't you think?"
 "Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe she wants you two back together," Jiyeon said letting her go.
 "After everything? She's not that stupid."
 "Maybe she wants you guys to work so that it gives her hope with Jonghyuk-oppa," Jiyeon said. That's strangely deductive. "Jungie told me that,"
 "They are having problems?" Boram asked surprised. 
 "I don't know. Jungie never explained anything else but I thought you'd know."
 We're different from you and Eunjung. That was at the tip of her tongue but she decided against saying it. It was not something to be proud of where your best friend might as well be a stranger. How did she not noticed? The two looked so happy it was sickening. This day just keeps getting better.
 
 
 
Authot's Note:
I honestly wanted to finish everything here but the chapter kept getting longer as I struggled to make a point where the confrontation could happen. The next part will be the last part because it would have a time skip. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.