Hi There, Neighbour

Sunflower [One Shot Collection Staring Boram]

Hi There, Neighbour

Word Count: 1228

 

Hyomin was an enigma. She could show any emotion towards other whenever it was appropriate but never with Boram. Although the two were casual friends and neighbours even, Boram had no idea what the girl thought of her. Was it a sign of dislike if the other girl kept her face blank if Boram was near? There was no way you would act that way with someone you liked. For some reason, it bothered her greatly. When people disliked her, Boram would try to find out why much to their gangrin. Sometimes it was her gluttony, other times it was her honest nature and, even once, it was the state of her skin. There was always an excuse and while Boram was well aware you can not please everyone, she tried her best.

 Before the younger girl went off to work, Boram stood outside her door for a week trying to get the chance to speak to her but she would be brushed off without so much as a 'Hello'. This more than bothered, it down right infuriated her because she did not what she had done wrong. Soyeon was quick to tell her to give up.

 "I know that Hyomin, she's a stubborn one," she had told Boram after the latter was reduced to tears of frustration. "Don't waste your time with her. "

 "What kind of advice is that?" Boram said wiping her face clean. "She is my neighbour and, I guess, my sort of friend,"

 "Sort of friend? The girl won't look at you without looking like she wants to throw up,"

 "Huh? How come I have never noticed that?"

Soyeon just rolled her eyes and refused to speak of Hyomin again. She would purse her lips when Boram brought her up again and threatened to leave the girl alone in the restaurant they were currently in with no money to pay for her meals. Still, Boram found the news worrying. She was not bad to look at and she always maintains her hygene. Why would Hyomin be repulsed? It was all too confusing.

 

~~~~~~

For a month afterwards, Boram would wait all day inside her apartment until she was sure Hyomin was coming back. Then she would walk out and stare at the exhausted girl looking for any sign of disgust but nothing, there was always nothing. It felt like Hyomin held no emotions when she saw the older girl but her eyes would light up in someone else's presence.

 "No wonder your books won't sell. You can't read people at all, can you?" Soyeon scoffed. Boram felt resentment bubbling within her while her best friend finished polishing her nails with flair. Then, slowly as if the bulb in her head was trying to die out as soon as it formed, she got an idea, not a fully fleshed one but it was better than staring at her laptop for hours.

 "You are going to help me," Boram said poking Soyeon.

 "I always help you, Boram, you're just too thick to notice,"

A retort was at the tip of but she needed Soyeon to agree. "Please?"

 "Fine," Soyeon said after a while, a long while in Boram's opinion. "What do you want?"

 

~~~~~~

 Hyomin always came in at 10 to 6 exactly nine hours after she left. It takes her one minutes to cross the hallway from the elevator to her apartment which was at the end of the hallway. It takes another fifteen seconds before she was through her doorway.

 "How do you know all these?"

 "People watching," Boram replied not taking her eyes off her watch.

 "That's not what I meant. Why are you are writer again?"

 "Shush! She's here,"

She began counting the seconds. Five seconds left... four seconds... three...two...

 "Now!" she whispered pushing her friend out of the door. She hid behind it, pressing her ear to the wood.

 "What the hell?" Boram heard Hyomin gasp. "Soyeon, are you alright?"

 "Who me? I'm alright but someone else won't be," Soyeon muttered but Boram could here and she was sure Hyomin could as well. "Can I come in? We haven't talked in a while,"

 "Oh right, sure. Come in," Boram could hear their feet shuffling until the door slammed upruptly. Now for her favourite thing, waiting. And wait she did. For two whole hours by the same door in the same position. Her leg had gone numb and her stomach rumbled loudly.

 Finally, Soyeon came out. She was giggling about something. The door closed again after a few minutes and Boram heard heels clicking away before she realised Soyeon was walking away.

 "Oh come on!"

Her left leg would not respond and her friend's shoes sounded so far away. She panicked when she could not hear the heels moving anymore. Boram dragged herself out of her room, limping while holding on to the door for support. To her surprise and relief, Soyeon was slumped by the elevator. Boram went down her knees until she was eye levels with her.

 "Hey, Soyeon, what happened?"

 "We had fun that's what happened," Soyeon slurred. "So much fun I might go back there soon. You should have joined us Rammie,"

 "What  did Hyomin say about me?" Boram asked. She was vaguely aware that her friend was in no condition to go home.

 "What didn't she say?" Soyeon said before suddenly giggling. "Did you know your hair has a glean? I didn't and apparently, it gives it character. HA! You? Character? Since when?"

 "So, she doesn't hate me?"

 "I hate you," the drunk answered barely. She was getting less and less coherent. Sighing, Boram got up and lifted her off the ground. Then the worst thing happened. Soyeon's legs gave in and they both went down but that was not the bad part. When Boram opened her eyes she saw that she was lying at Hyomin's feet. Without a word, the other girl bent down and got Soyeon off her. Just as silently, Boram got up and the two of them lifted the third before walking at a small pace towards Boram's apartment. I should say something. But she did not even as Hyomin tucked Soyeon in. What could she say? Anything would not do.

 "Well, good night,"

Boram blinked. Hyomin had smiled at her when she said it and it was a warm smile.

 "G-good night,"

 "Take care of her,"

Boram turned back to see her best friend snoring lightly. That must be why. Then again Soyeon said Hyomin thought her hair had character. She must not have thought Boram was all bad.

 "Take care of yourself,"

Hyomin bit her lower lip and looked like she wanted to say something. She closed her eyes and then shook her head slightly. When she opened them, her eyes held resolve.

 "Boram, I just want you to know I don't hate you,"

Boram released the breath she did not realise she was holding. "I really thought you did,"

 "Yeah, well I don't. I like you in fact,"

 "That's a relief," Boram answered with a laugh.

 "I don't think you understand but...." Hyomin's voice trailed. She looked conflicted again. "Boram... do you want dinner... at my place?"

Dinner? Food. Why not?

 "Sure, I'd love that,"

The younger girl brightened up quickly and she quickly ran out but came back again almost immediately.

 "Good night,"

 "Good night, Hyomin,"

 

 

Author's Note:

I did this in a few minutes when my friend left her laptop open. Anyways tell me what you think.