Lonely Winters (Sehun)

The Watch of Fate

It was yet another lonely winter for Sehun to spend. His face as usual bore a lifeless expression. Something had been bothering him though. At the Christmas party the previous night, Luhan’s gift was very peculiar. Luhan claimed it was a watch which would count down as to when he would meet his soul mate. Sehun believed in no such thing. He felt it was all a hoax. He clearly remembers what Luhan told him the previous night, “You deserve someone to brighten up that face of yours. It would be nice to see you smile once in a while.” Though he didn’t believe in such things, he promised Luhan that he’d wear the watch for his favorite hyung’s sake. Sehun reluctantly wore the watch around his wrist and slipped on his coat and shoes. Sehun wore an extra jacket and a scarf if incase it were to get colder that day. He planned on visiting the bubble tea shop to warm him up. Closing the door behind him as he was leaving his apartment, he notice the sky, a melancholic gray. Much like his mood. He hated being lonely. As much as he wanted to stop believing in the watch’s abilities, he prayed that it really would unite him with his soul mate. He stood outside, still in front of his now locked door. He turned the watch on and set the date and time. The watch’s screen lit up, showing numbers “00Hrs.30min.57sec.” he let out a chuckle, not being able to believe the fact that he was actually doing something like trusting a watch to find his soul mate. But he felt a pang of hope and joy knowing there’s going to be only half an hour more for him to meet his “soul mate”.

Hands in the pockets, he walked down the empty street leading him to the main road. There were hardly any cars out on the roads that day. Rather, there were couples linking hands and smiling at each other. Sehun really couldn’t care less knowing the fact that he was about to meet his very own “other half”.

He sat down, staring out the window, waiting for his warm bubble tea to arrive. He was mentally counting down. As far as he knew, he took about ten minutes to get to the shop. So he had just about twenty minutes. His tea had arrived. Pushing his thoughts aside, he started sipping on his warm tea. If there was anything Sehun loved about winters, it was only the warm bubble tea. He otherwise hated how lonely it could get.

Now, done with the bubble tea, he headed out the door. ‘beep’ he looked at his watch. Ten seconds left. He was getting more excited by the second, ‘beep’ five! His heart was pounding. “Ow!” And he was shook right out of his thoughts. ‘beep beep beep …’ Sehun looked at his now boisterous watch. He switched it off to attend to the girl he had bumped into in all this excitement.

There she was, a petite and tiny figure sitting on the ground, struggling to get up. Poor thing landed first. Her hair, not too long, not too short. Black as the night, and shiny too. “Sorry. I wasn’t really watching where I was going” Sehun stuck out a hand for her to garb. She greatfully took his help and got up from the ground. “It’s alright” She tried to shrug it off. “Is that the new soul mate watch thing?” she asked, noticing Sehun's watch. Her voice was quiet and gentle. Just the way he’d have liked his girl to be. “Yea. It started beeping and stuff.. Looks like I found my soul mate!” Sehun, for the first time in days, was smiling. She smiled back. “Ah.. I wish you luck. She must be lucky. You seem like a very nice guy!” She gave him a wide smile. He chuckled in return. “Are you that stupid?” he asked in a teasing manner. Her face contorted to an expression of doubt. “What do you mean by asking so?” “It’s you. You’re my supposed soul mate!” Heat rushed to her cheeks. Out of embarrassment, she looked down to the ground. And then she gained courage and said, "Well, I'm _____ ____ and you?" Sehun was a little puzzled. "well, we are soul mates, we ought to know each other's names at least!", She explained. Sehun let out another chuckle, "Oh Sehun. But you can just call me Sehun." He smiled at her, and she smiled back in return. “How about some coffee or bubble tea? Anything of your choice. Let's get to know each other.” She asked,in a polite yet shy manner. He noticed her shivering a little. She didn’t have a scarf. “On one condition.” Sehun said. She raised her eyebrow. “And what’s that?” Sehun removed his scarf  and gently wrapped it around her neck. “There, now we can go.” Sehun stuck out his hand, in hopes of her linking her hand with his. And she did. This time, Sehun was smiling. He wore a real smile, feeling a pang of hope, love and happiness. He knew, now he truly wouldn’t have to ever spend another lonely winter. All this, thanks to Luhan hyung.